HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 6:11 PM
The New Republic

I'm not a hockey guy, so please forgive my ignorance for asking the following questions. CHL is limited to guys of a certain age who are being groomed for the NHL, while the AHL is a pro league for people who don't make it to the NHL or are trying to get there?

NHL revenue was $3.7 billion last year, but what are CHL revenues? I'm assuming around $500 million? Corporate sponsorship, television, and ticket prices are way higher in the NHL, but I do know that more Canadians attend CHL every year than NHL. Is it conceivable that CHL could one day bring in more revenue than the NHL with better television deals, corporate contracts, better merchandising efforts, marketing?

From an outsider's pov, CHL seems poorly marketed compared to NHL and isn't coming close to reaching its financial potential. It should be Canada's version of NCAA Division 1 basketball/football, but it's never managed to become the economic juggernaut it should be.

Last edited by isaidso; Oct 17, 2014 at 6:29 PM.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 7:02 PM

I don't think its as high as $500million. Ticket sales are in the $155m range I think I remember reading.

Also it's no surprise that more people watch the CHL than the NHL.

It's cheaper for one

There's also the fact that there are 60 teams in the CHL playing nearly 2000 regular season games vs maybe 300 in the NHL

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
I don't think its as high as $500million. Ticket sales are in the $155m range I think I remember reading.

Also it's no surprise that more people watch the CHL than the NHL.

It's cheaper for one

There's also the fact that there are 60 teams in the CHL playing nearly 2000 regular season games vs maybe 300 in the NHL
There should be over 1000 regular season games in the NHL, no? 41 (home games / team-season) * 30 teams ?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 7:55 PM

I was referring to only Canadian NHL teams

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 10:54 PM

CHL revenue is probably $300 million total - about $5 million per team. Some teams probably make double that amount (ie Calgary Hitman, Quebec, Windsor Spitfires) whole others probably draw less than half that revenue per season (Swift Current, Prince Rupert, koutenay).

Not sure if AHL would work in Regina. People would need to be prepared to pay more for tickets - usually 50 - 100% more than typical CHL tickets. Regina does not typically draw well for WHL hockey. They are usually in the bottom half of the league for attendance.

As for CHL vs. AHL, it is true that the future superstars of the NHL generally don't play in the AHL for the most part. AHL teams will typically produce the occasional star player who takes longer to develop, but most who do make it to the NHL usually are 2nd, 3rd and 4th line players, and 2nd and 3rd pairings of defensemen. With goalies though, most of the NHL starters (even the good ones) spend lengthy time in the AHL before they graduate to the big leagues.

There is no way a CHL team would beat an AHL team, even one lead by Connor McDavid. Men vs. boys.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 6:07 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

THF looked great on TV tonight - super lighting (I'm still disappointed with the lighting at TDP).

Last edited by craner; Oct 18, 2014 at 6:18 AM.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 6:16 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Regarding the baseball discussion, the Okotoks Dawgs (yes that Okotoks) have a team in the Western Major BL. They play out of lovely Seaman Stadium, lots of college players, summer schedule, great hot dogs, etc.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
THF looked great on TV tonight - super lighting (I'm still disappointed with the lighting at TDP).
I think it turned out (is turning out) much better than naysayers expected

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 1:03 PM
Hammer'd

I agree the lighting was nice last night but I was surprised that while the pressboxes up high on the West stands were lit up and populated, the seating area STILL wasn't in use. Kinda disappointing. It has turned out pretty good though for what it is, I'll admit. Should be even better next season when all the little things are done.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post

The seat colour is a pleasant surprise. Didn't think it would work.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 4:20 AM

great shot of the stadium. I believe that was taken on labour day (judging by the inaugural game logo in the endzone and lack of advertising on the facing of the club and suite level)

a lot more work has been done in the month and a half since that pic was taken. I like how the seating pattern turned out. Really brightens the stadium and makes it look fresh and clean. The stadium looks really good at night with the lights as well. Great bang for our buck.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I'm not a hockey guy, so please forgive my ignorance for asking the following questions. CHL is limited to guys of a certain age who are being groomed for the NHL, while the AHL is a pro league for people who don't make it to the NHL or are trying to get there?
AHL is slowly becoming a development league for the NHL rather than what it was before (about what you described). AHL teams can only dress a maximum of 5 veterans per game (guys older than, say, 25/26). It's mostly being used now for guys who are between 20-25 waiting for their chance/trying to make NHL teams. Looking through a lot of AHL team rosters you can see pretty quickly that a lot of the players are 21-24 years old.

The CHL is a junior development league for players between 16 and 20. Some of these players are very good and will be in the NHL by 18, others needs a bit more time to develop. Others, still, are never drafted and end up playing elsewhere (ECHL, CIS, overseas, etc.).

Personally CHL is more entertaining than the AHL for a number of reasons. Players are hungry to get drafted, to prove something. They are still young and inexperienced enough that almost anything can happen (blown leads, massive comebacks, inexcusable mistakes, great goals).

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
great shot of the stadium. I believe that was taken on labour day (judging by the inaugural game logo in the endzone and lack of advertising on the facing of the club and suite level)

a lot more work has been done in the month and a half since that pic was taken. I like how the seating pattern turned out. Really brightens the stadium and makes it look fresh and clean. The stadium looks really good at night with the lights as well. Great bang for our buck.
I was looking to post a more recent shot (which I thought it was) before noticing the mini footballs in the cup holders which they had for opening day of the stadium.

It does looked finished and there has been more work done in the month and a half since. I agree that it looks fresh and clean. Here's a look back at some more shots from opening day.

Have to say it again, how much I like that all the new stadiums are different in their own way and all look great, no cookie cutter stuff here.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post

This picture makes the stadium look like metal - fits in well with the "steeltown" moniker.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
AHL is slowly becoming a development league for the NHL rather than what it was before (about what you described). AHL teams can only dress a maximum of 5 veterans per game (guys older than, say, 25/26). It's mostly being used now for guys who are between 20-25 waiting for their chance/trying to make NHL teams. Looking through a lot of AHL team rosters you can see pretty quickly that a lot of the players are 21-24 years old.

The CHL is a junior development league for players between 16 and 20. Some of these players are very good and will be in the NHL by 18, others needs a bit more time to develop. Others, still, are never drafted and end up playing elsewhere (ECHL, CIS, overseas, etc.).

Personally CHL is more entertaining than the AHL for a number of reasons. Players are hungry to get drafted, to prove something. They are still young and inexperienced enough that almost anything can happen (blown leads, massive comebacks, inexcusable mistakes, great goals).
This is the specific AHL development rule. Based on professional games played.

Quote:
Of the 18 skaters (not counting two goaltenders) that teams may dress for a game, at least 13 must be qualified as "development players." Of those 13, 12 must have played in 260 or fewer professional games (including AHL, NHL and European elite leagues), and one must have played in 320 or fewer professional games. All calculations for development status are based on regular-season totals as of the start of the season.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:05 PM

anyone have pictures of the BMO field expansion? I know they started digging for the footings of the second level east stand a few weeks ago.

With TFC's season done and a Phase 1 May completion date, things should really start to ramp up.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:19 PM
Regina 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjones2451 View Post
Some great pics are on @YQRstadium on twitter

Lots happening on site

Pics by moi!

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:27 PM
Stuffum'n'Cuffum

The Hamilton Stadium is really nice.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada