HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
These look great! I also agree that natural wood and copper ought to be used.
Agreed. Especially copper. That would be very unique and local!

Also, to keep with the local theme, they should incorporate sandstone, granite and stucco.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
Agreed. Especially copper. That would be very unique and local!

Also, to keep with the local theme, they should incorporate sandstone, granite and stucco.
Some of the exterior looks like it's either stone or fake stone. It'd be nice if they included sandstone. Granite would break up the almost too much orange-red in the interior.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2013, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
Wow... 3 more cities. Alaska is really coming on strong! Don't be surprised to see some hawaii/mexico flights too.
I don't think they have enough range to reaching in Hawaii. It was out of range. I think you have wait for 737-8MAX/9MAX to come online. The entire 737-8MAX/9MAX has more capabilities, more fuel-efficient, and increased the range. Those 737MAX have to be ETOPS overwater certification by FAA approved.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 3:21 AM
BANNED

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=28372944&nid...&s_cid=queue-1

Delta to expand services, operations at SLC International Airport

New route between SLC and Milwaukee (Delta)
New route between SLC and Houston Hobby begins in June (Southwest)
Also all the new routes and expanded service from SLC on Alaska Airlines begins in early and mid June. Alaska will be asking the airport for maybe an additional gate, as well as for a reopening of the "S" gates. With that, does anyone know where the "S" gates are located?

Last edited by Plaid Shirts; Jan 16, 2014 at 4:39 AM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 3:29 PM

Delta president Ed Bastian spoke to the SLC airport board a few weeks ago. Some highlights of his presentation to the board were:

- SLC is the fastest growing local market among all Delta hub cities.
- SLC is and will continue to be the primary gateway to the Mountain West.
- Delta plans to increase seat capacity 8% over the next five years in SLC.
- Number of flights will increase 1-2%
- To increase capacity, larger aircraft will be used and smaller regional aircraft flights will be reduced.
- New destinations will be added (TBA)
- Delta is fully comitted to the development of the new terminal.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 4:29 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy414 View Post
Delta president Ed Bastian spoke to the SLC airport board a few weeks ago. Some highlights of his presentation to the board were:

- SLC is the fastest growing local market among all Delta hub cities.
- SLC is and will continue to be the primary gateway to the Mountain West.
- Delta plans to increase seat capacity 8% over the next five years in SLC.
- Number of flights will increase 1-2%
- To increase capacity, larger aircraft will be used and smaller regional aircraft flights will be reduced.
- New destinations will be added (TBA)
- Delta is fully comitted to the development of the new terminal.
I wonder how the battle between Delta and Alaska Airlines at SLC will effect the numbers above. Any thoughts?

-sb

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 5:38 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Notice there's a new building that has gone up by the west runway near the road as you're leaving. Not sure what it is. Has anybody also notice it?
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Last edited by SLC Projects; Feb 7, 2014 at 8:34 PM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 5:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
I wonder how the battle between Delta and Alaska Airlines at SLC will effect the numbers above. Any thoughts?
I think it can only be a good thing. Alaska Air has a good presence on the west coast. So with them adding Los Angeles, San Diego, Las Vegas, Boise, San Francisco, San Jose, Portland, and an increase in Seattle will only help their loyal customers get to SLC and beyond.

Alaska is using Delta's SLC hub to their advantage. They can use their own planes to get people to SLC, but can then rely on Delta to do the rest.

As far as additional cities added to SLC on Delta, I think maybe some cities we can look at are Milwaukee, Santa Barbara, Columbus, Santa Fe, Ft. Lauderdale, Tampa, Bellingham, and maybe even seasonal service to London-Heathrow (to begin in Spring/Summer 2015). I think Paris and London service can coexist in SLC.

As far as new airlines coming to SLC...
I can see Spirit Airlines adding service, especially now that they want to start adding skiing/winter packages.
Hawaiian Airlines, maybe when they get their A321NEO's, they could add Honolulu.
Long shot, but maybe WestJet adding Vancouver service to take advantage of the deal they have with Delta(yes, I already know Delta serves Vancouver from SLC).
Also another long shot, but maybe even Condor offering a seasonal flight from Frankfurt. The Germans love Utah, and Condor seems like an airline that could offer good deals.

Last edited by Plaid Shirts; Feb 7, 2014 at 6:13 PM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
The battle is much stronger in Seattle than in Salt Lake. One thing Alaska doesn't have is adequate gate space or other facilities to handle more flights. It still remains to be seen how they are going to operate the ones they are currently planning. That is simply because there really are no more gates to be had right now at peak times of the day. They are trying to acquire additional gates or arrange with other airlines to use theirs. So any additional flights they add will have to be at times there is a gate open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
Notice there's a new building that has gone up by the west runway near the road as you're leaving. Not sure what it is. As anybody also notice it?
The building you are referring to is part of the new de-ice pad development. It will be used by personnel who de-ice aircraft and the coordination of de-ice procedures. There is a similar new building just south of the other new deuce pad built in the center area of the airport.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaid Shirts View Post
As far as additional cities added to SLC on Delta, I think maybe some cities we can look at are Milwaukee, Santa Barbara, Columbus, Santa Fe, Ft. Lauderdale, Tampa, Bellingham, and maybe even seasonal service to London-Heathrow (to begin in Spring/Summer 2015). I think Paris and London service can coexist in SLC.
I think you will see SLC-AMS/FRA/ICN/PVG/PEK. You will hear it. Delta hasn't reinstated SLC-NRT for a several years. Delta hasn't reinstating nonstop FLL-SLC, but it is no longer existed.

Quote:
As far as new airlines coming to SLC...
I can see Spirit Airlines adding service, especially now that they want to start adding skiing/winter packages.
Hawaiian Airlines, maybe when they get their A321NEO's, they could add Honolulu.
I have doubt it. They will consider it. Hawaiian will come SLC in 2017 right after A321NEO is delivered. A321NEO has more capabilities, more fuel-efficient, and increase the range, as well.

And for Spirit. Right now, there is no direct flight from FLL-SLC. There is lots construction going on lately. FLL terminal 4 is underway renovated. You won't see Spirit to come SLC for a while. There is no gate space available. It's full. A new second runway will open sometime in September 2014. They will start growth again.

Quote:
Long shot, but maybe WestJet adding Vancouver service to take advantage of the deal they have with Delta(yes, I already know Delta serves Vancouver from SLC).
I don't think gonna happen anytime soon. Right now, there is no gate space available. The gate space is tight.

Quote:
Also another long shot, but maybe even Condor offering a seasonal flight from Frankfurt. The Germans love Utah, and Condor seems like an airline that could offer good deals.
I agree with you. They will consider it. I'm sure those people will find a cheap ticket. I'm pretty sure that they will come to Utah. It will be good time to come SLC for winter time.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 11:30 PM
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.

Quote:
I'm just curious, what would be an advantage to adding smaller cites? Besides more traffic and diversity.

I've never been to Santa Barbara, all I know is it's beautiful. I've never been to Santa Fe, Tampa, or Ft. Lauderdale. And all I know about Bellingham is that most of the population is college kids and that Death Cab for Cutie was formed there.

Salt Lake City throughout 2015 in the My City Photos Forum >>>http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=215244

Old Posted Mar 9, 2014, 12:48 AM

Adding a lot of popular destination/second home markets to Salt Lake City Int. would be an excellent sign of it's increasing hub importance. Like Park City, Santa Barbara and Santa Fe get a lot of tourist traffic. It would be excellent to see Salt Lake City becoming a preferred hub. I would imagine that the pressure to get the new airport completed ahead of schedule is an issue now.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 12:08 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Last night after leaving work I notice a construction trailer placed on a empty parking lot ( east of where the toll booths are ) as your leaving the airport handing west. Could this be the start of the staging area for the major airport redevelopment?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 4:33 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Ok, so now there's two trailers set up. Somthing's going on.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
Ok, so now there's two trailers set up. Somthing's going on.
Looks like they're taking core samples. And yes they are beginning to set up construction offices!

http://www.slcairport.com/TRP-Progress_Gallery.asp

Also Big-D Construction/Holder Construction, who will be constructing the new airport have put together a website. It doesn't tell us anything new, but it may in the future!

http://www.hdjvteam.com/

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 5:10 PM

Seems like we should have seen full renderings of the new airport by now. Wonder what's up?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 5:19 PM
The Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joscar View Post
Looks like they're taking core samples. And yes they are beginning to set up construction offices!

http://www.slcairport.com/TRP-Progress_Gallery.asp

Also Big-D Construction/Holder Construction, who will be constructing the new airport have put together a website. It doesn't tell us anything new, but it may in the future!

http://www.hdjvteam.com/
Projects, can you post that construction link to the first post?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 5:27 PM
BANNED

According to early renderings, I think the new SLC airport terminal is going to be very similar in style, layout, and design, to Detroit's McNamara terminal. That terminal houses Air France and all Delta flights.

If you haven't seen the McNamara airport terminal or its design and layout, definitely check it out. I would expect SLC's airport terminal to look similar to that...obviously smaller and fit to the size and demand that SLC handles.

Last edited by Plaid Shirts; Mar 18, 2014 at 5:38 PM.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 5:46 PM

Why smaller? I understood that Salt Lake City International Airport was already a very busy Airport, and it wouldn't make sense to not build a terminal large enough to accommodate future growth.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 5:50 PM

Agree Old&New, The prognosis for the current and future traffic of SLC Int. is better than most hubs, particularly Detroit. If all of those renderings on the previous page are any indication, then not only is Salt Lake's future airport going to be impressive, it will also be one of the most attractively warm and inviting. I love the design and materials direction they're heading toward.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West