HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

Old Posted Apr 6, 2009, 9:38 PM
BANNED

Residential Garbage Pick-up Hamilton

http://www.myhamilton.ca/myhamilton/...ferStation.htm

City of Hamilton – Public Work
Kenora Transfer Station
Print

OPEN : Monday to Saturday - 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
CLOSED: Sundays, Good Friday, Christmas Day, and New Years Day.

http://www.myhamilton.ca/myhamilton/...tions/Fees.htm

City of Hamilton – Public Works
Fees
Print

Payment Methods: Cash, Debit, MasterCard and Visa

Public fees for WASTE - EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1, 2008:

· $8.00 / minimum fee up to 100kg (220 lbs)

· $11.25 / 100kg (220 lbs) for waste exceeding the first 100kg (220 lbs)

Public fees for RECYCLABLES, LEAF & YARD MATERIAL and SCRAP METAL:

· FREE (Under the conditions that the material is sorted properly)

· Effective January 1, 2008, any load mixed with garbage will be charged the minimum of $8.00 for the first 100kg (220 lbs) and $11.25 for each subsequent 100kg (220 lbs)

///////////////////////////////

http://www.myhamilton.ca/myhamilton/...nsAndTimes.htm

/////////////////////////////

City of Hamilton – Public Works
Our Programs and Services

http://www.myhamilton.ca/myhamilton/...msAndServices/

////////////////////////////////

http://www.myhamilton.ca/myhamilton/...it+Answers.htm

Answers to ‘General’ Questions

Q: When does the ONE container + one clear plastic bag begin?
A: It will be in effect as of March 30, 2009 and continue until April 2, 2010.

Q: What happens after April 2, 2010?
A: You will be allowed to place one container of garbage at the curb each week. We will no longer collect a second, clear plastic bag of garbage.......................

//////////////////

http://www.myhamilton.ca/myhamilton/...am+Details.htm

"ONE Container Limit Program Details
Print

CONTAINER LIMIT
PROGRAM DETAILS

ONE Container + One Clear Plastic Bag
From March 30, 2009 until April 2, 2010, residents will be allowed to set out one container of garbage each week and, if needed, one clear plastic bag of garbage.

A container is defined as either a non-returnable plastic garbage bag weighing not more than 23 kilograms OR a rigid reusable container with a volume of less than 135 litres, weighing not more than 23 kilograms.

Find answers to your questions here.

Operations
If collectors find three containers or more: the third, fourth, fifth, etc. containers will be left at the curb. A sticker will be placed on one of the remaining containers.

If collectors find two containers and one of them is NOT a clear plastic bag: one container will be stickered and left at the curb.

If collectors find one container and one clear plastic bag but the majority of the materials in the clear plastic bag are blue box and green cart material, and these items are visible: the clear bag may be stickered and left at the curb.

Grace Periods
During the one week following New Years Day, Victoria Day, and Thanksgiving Day, all households across the city will be allowed to place up to three (3) containers of garbage at the curb for collection. These containers do not need to be clear plastic bags but must fit the description in our definition of a container.

Special Consideration Policy
If someone has a medical condition or if there are three or more children under the age of five in one household, residents can:

call 905 546-CITY (2489) or
email wastemanagement@hamilton.ca

for special consideration to allow them to place up to three (3) containers at the curb. Personal information is collected, used and distributed under the authority and in accordance with MFIPPA and PHIPA laws.

Special Consideration application forms are available in PDF format here:
Residential Day Care Application
Agricultural Provision
Family and / or Medical Consideration"

????????????????????????

mic67

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 8:09 PM
BANNED

If a house, either reg. or from time to time has more than 1 bag of rubbish, what to do? Make a special trip to the dump? Not likely.

I have stopped picking up rubbish in the hood as it generates what the city wont take. People are dumping at public bins, and many of them are overflowing, even without the extra rubbish being dumped. WTF were they thinking when they decreed this stupidity...ahhhh yes increase the dumping in alleys, public bins, etc.

I walked from Kenilworth along Barton to Strathbarton Mall (one of many areas), and reg. the is garbage left behind particularly furniture and the like. Hamiltonians like their Tims, dogs and garbage.

One bag of garbage does not reduce it with this policy, it just spreads it around.

Ok sell tags at $1 per bag...genius ...how come they couldnt think of this and the fact that....oh forget it....go Fo coffee.....

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 9:45 PM
Needs more coffee...

Well, for a while we'll have those problems.

And then landlords will increase rents to reflect the costs of hauling those things away or put stricter parts in their policies - many already do because of furniture items.

Areas of the city that are already full of disorder and untidiness won't get much worse. This isn't the determining factor in those areas.

And private property owners will either get used to making a trip to the dump every so often or change their habits.

Without there being some pain there won't be any behaviour change, though.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 10:31 PM

What about this...

The city is so uncommuniative btw departments that they are unaware of the building I reside in Gore Park being new residential. I DONT EVEN have garbage pickup or a mail box. To boot, the city loses increased tax revenues from the new units because the building department didn't bother to inform Tax or WMgmt.

Even better, there is private garbage pickup that comes pre-7am almost daily smashing bins, etc for a nearby building. There has been a lot of fighting!

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 11:00 PM
BANNED

"Without there being some pain there won't be any behaviour change, though."

WTF you got more garbage than the 1 bag per address, that does not change. Except for what remains on the street and the image of visitors and residents of this city. Retardedness reigns supreme.. F- it lets vote for them too!

Yes there is a garbage strike in Hamilton for anything more than 1 bag. and it has nothing to do with the front line workers. But the retards that after they go FO COFFEE figure this is a good idea.

Like I said Hamiltonians like their garbage, enough to keep it around, on their streets, in their front yards and in their public receptacles.

Amazing that after the rubbish trucks have passed and there are still bags of rubbish left, what happens then....are they left there.....are they accumulated till next time.....none of the above. but contributes to the beautification of this city...yahooooo....gotta love it,,,,,

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic67 View Post
If a house, either reg. or from time to time has more than 1 bag of rubbish, what to do? Make a special trip to the dump? Not likely.

I have stopped picking up rubbish in the hood as it generates what the city wont take. People are dumping at public bins, and many of them are overflowing, even without the extra rubbish being dumped. WTF were they thinking when they decreed this stupidity...ahhhh yes increase the dumping in alleys, public bins, etc.

I walked from Kenilworth along Barton to Strathbarton Mall (one of many areas), and reg. the is garbage left behind particularly furniture and the like. Hamiltonians like their Tims, dogs and garbage.

One bag of garbage does not reduce it with this policy, it just spreads it around.

Ok sell tags at $1 per bag...genius ...how come they couldnt think of this and the fact that....oh forget it....go Fo coffee.....
I'm calling BS on this post. Stop spreading the FUD!!

First, the city runs a very inclusive recycling program, a green bin program, leaf & yard waste collection in the spring and fall. Also, the city currently collects up to 2 bags each week, one dark and one clear bag. The 1 bag limit doesn't start until 2010.

Secondly, bulk pickup still exists for furniture, plumbing, carpets, etc....
Quote:
Call (905) 546-2489 at least one week before your regular waste collection day for bulk collection between:

* July 27 - September 7, 2009
* December 7, 2009 - January 4, 2010
* January 26 - March 22, 2009

Please call (905) 546-CITY at least one week before your regular waste collection day to arrange for collection.
Finally, the city offers 6 bag pickup in January (Christmas), May (Spring Cleaning, and October (Thanksgiving).

Please don't blame city policies for people's lawbreaking and lazy ways, there are ample opportunities to minimize and dispose of refuse in this city without making a trip to the dump, or using the city as one.

And as a post script, if the items purchased contain excessive packaging remove the packaging at the cashier and hand it back for the store to dispose. If we all did that the stores would quickly demand the manufacturers change their over-packaging ways.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 1:33 AM
BANNED

"I'm calling BS on this post. Stop spreading the FUD!!"

You obviously fail to walk the streets of Hamilton. You live in a driveby ward and for obvious reasons. I Bus past by enought.

"Also, the city currently collects up to 2 bags each week, one dark and one clear bag. The 1 bag limit doesn't start until 2010."

Wait a minute WTF are you saying? One of those bags is garbage the other is garbage if it shows that is does not contain recyclables - I have never seen a clear bag of garbage, and I walk at least 2 KM per day, never ever. The 1 bag limit is now in effect (for all practical purposes) or the guys arent doing their job. Spin if you like. This forum is the glee club. Hamilton has great potential but those that think Ham. has no prob's have problems themselves.

"Secondly, bulk pickup still exists for furniture, plumbing, carpets, etc...."

Ya if you call them and make arrangements and even then I would not count on it.

You and the city are putting alot of onus on the cit.of Ham.....hahaha....forget that. KISS theory......

If you choose to live in Hamilton accept the garbage...the policy endorses it. Vote for it....it exists....

"Finally, the city offers 6 bag pickup in January (Christmas), May (Spring Cleaning, and October (Thanksgiving). "

NOTICE SAVE ANY EXCESS GARBAGE TO THIS DATE.

"And as a post script, if the items purchased contain excessive packaging remove the packaging at the cashier and hand it back for the store to dispose. If we all did that the stores would quickly demand the manufacturers change their over-packaging ways."

mic67

Last edited by mic67; Aug 1, 2009 at 4:12 AM.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 1:44 AM
Needs more coffee...

The reality is that most people's behaviour won't change until limits like these are enforced.

The "reality" you're seeing is the adjustment period, where people including yourself whine and complain about the trouble of changing your behaviour, that it can't be done, blah blah blah.

When the bottom line is that you have no choice, however, eventually you and others will modify your behaviour.

We cannot base environmental policies based on the path of least resistance. People need an impetus for their decisions and for there to be outside influences raising the bar, because we are not all individually that motivated. And yes, I live on a street where people leave furniture out without calling for pickup and garbage is often strewn - I pick it up sometimes. And surprisingly, the garbage and furniture eventually still all gets picked up and we stay under our 1-bag limit all the same.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 2:05 AM
BANNED

"emge The reality is that most people's behaviour won't change until limits like these are enforced."

Who the F are you trying to fool?????

Bylaw's are only enforce based on complaint...and is stated as such.

Graffiti is only responded to on a complaint basis...huhhuh?

How many city employee's drive by such and shy dont they complain? Yet they expect the ave. cit to complain...huhuhh?

Sam Merulla is not my counselor but hey he is out there and does not "shill" for hamilton, I like him, he is the go to guy for chch.

"When the bottom line is that you have no choice, however, eventually you and others will modify your behaviour."

Forest Gump lives some where in that quote......

I have and have not given up on the potential of Hamilton.....

Retards unite.....

mic67

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Wait a minute WTF are you saying? One of those bags is garbage the other is garbage if it shows that is does not contain recyclables - I have never seen a clear bag of garbage, and I walk at least 2 KM per day, never ever. The 1 bag limit is now in effect (for all practical purposes) or the guys arent doing their job. Spin if you like. This forum is the glee club. Hamilton has great potential but those that think Ham. has no prob's have problems themselves.
Give me your phone number and I'll phone you with my address and you can walk past my house, and see a clear bag every second or 3rd week. That's right, my household produces 1 bag every 2 to 3 weeks. Though, every week you'll see 2 recycle bins (one containers, one paper products), and if you walk the laneway you'll see 2 compost bins in my backyard. One empty ready for late 2009 and 2010 food waste, and one full of late 2008 and 2009 food waste.

Note, I'm no fanatic (at least by my description) but I haven't used the garbage pail under my desk at work in 1.5 years as I cart all my garbage home in my empty lunch bag (it's all dry, or in a ziplock for the compost), and on our weekly 'breakfast day' our receptionist now provides me with all fruit residual for my backyard composting, thus diverting it from Toronto's waste.

Quote:
Ya if you call them and make arrangements and even then I would not count on it.
Have you called them and they didn't show up, or is this just an assumption? I'm guessing stereotypical assumption. Please prove me wrong.

Quote:
NOTICE SAVE ANY EXCESS GARBAGE TO THIS DATE.
'Dry' garbage doesn't smell and can be kept for a long time. The city provides a method of disposing of 'wet' garbage.

My challenge to you is to hand back the excess packaging when you pay, you'll be surprised by the reduction in the amount of garbage you generate at home.

The City of Hamilton policies are not to blame for your neighbourhood garbage problems, it's your neighbours. Redirect your frustration.

Postscript, confronted my 3rd urinating male of 2009 tonight, and I guarantee you none of them will repeat in my laneway. Please don't tell me change can't happen at a local level. I won't believe that, it can be done. It will be done.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 2:29 AM
BANNED

You live in the driveby ward....I live in east ham.----the delta east...

Wow according to you...you abide by the edict proscribe by the chief retards....good for you...

"Note, I'm no fanatic...."

Your are wrong....walk east ham. or even cent. Ham....

"Have you called them and they didn't show up, or is this just an assumption? I'm guessing stereotypical assumption. Please prove me wrong."

I dont need to I walk Barton east of Kenilworth.

"My challenge to you is to hand back the excess packaging when you pay, you'll be surprised by the reduction in the amount of garbage you generate at home."

Plain and simple RETARDED.... I have never seen anyone do that and it would not make a difference,,,,,would be nice if it did...rhetoric.

"Postscript, confronted my 3rd urinating male of 2009 tonight, and I guarantee you none of them will repeat in my laneway. Please don't tell me change can't happen at a local level. I won't believe that, it can be done. It will be done."

How can you guarantee that...change can happen...but it is very unlikely in Hamilton......

So many have disdain for the lower city, even though they have businesses there, they live in Stoney Creek or elsewhere....

mic67

Last edited by mic67; Aug 1, 2009 at 4:12 AM.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 2:33 AM

Quote:
I have and have not given up on the potential of Hamilton.....mic67
Then two words, buh-bye. To me, you seem done.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 2:38 AM

Quote:
You live in the driveby ward....I live in east ham.----the delta east...
Please don't blame others for your choice in real estate.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 2:41 AM
BANNED

Hahaha......its all hamilton baby.....

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Hahaha......its all hamilton baby.....
Not in my neighbourhood. I walk, bike and drive my neighbourhood as well as others (contrary to your previous statements), but I also go one step further as I'm also active in facilitating change. Complaining is just too easy.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 2:54 AM
BANNED

"Then two words, buh-bye. To me, you seem done."

Very much far from it.

I have conversed with many a Hamiltionians, at the grocery store to the flea market, entertainment venues and on the street. And I have not even come close to what their actual opinions are, stunned and suprised..heck ya ....way more than I have ever thought or imagined. Certainly not any where near the childhood memories I had of Hamilton...who fucked it up????

For the interm yes I have given up on Hamilton because they wont take the garbage I pickup on the streets, amongst many other things.

Which is the driveby ward in Toronto?

What is the name they give to that section of Hamilton....???

You are too busy commuting to Toronto......how can you live in Hamilton?

mic67

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 2:58 AM
It's Hammer Time

mic67 tone down your attitude or else actions will have to be taken. Consider this a warning. Retards and fuckwads are unacceptable language. You aren't allowed to curse on this forum.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 2:58 AM
BANNED

As you have said that moving from TO to Ham. that it would have to be a south address...there is a reason for that,,,, and yet you are in the worst north south zone in ham.---- the driveby ward.---your words and many others too.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 3:14 AM
BANNED

Sure what ever you say...but I wont join the glee club no matter what....

If retards is not acceptable then nothing is......unless it glee club promotion.

Retard is backwards thinking....you aspire to...ok ....that is why it may not be acceptable to you...alright...but you are called out on that.

My participation in this forum is not for myself but for those who seek diversity and truth...

This forum need more like me, yet it is discouraged...alright...just so we all know that.

It seems that calling out the good is the only acceptable rhetoric of this forum...fine, live in your garbage, filth and attitude. I recall "we know what is wrong" ...no way no how....you could care less.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Which is the driveby ward in Toronto?
Scarborough. Stand on Kingston Road as 905'ers drive thru on the way to eastern suburbs.

Quote:
You are too busy commuting to Toronto......how can you live in Hamilton?
Huh, a personal attack questioning my commitment to Hamilton. What position do you hold in your local Neighbourhood Association? I'm guessing none. Am I right, or wrong. My name, is a mater of public record on my Neighbourhood Association Executive. I guess, I've mastered time management.

My offer stands send me your phone number, let's talk. No better yet, a group will be getting together at the next Art Crawl, how about you join? You like to refer to my past posts, prove my past posts about those with the biggest fingers never showing their faces wrong.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion