HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 16, 2016, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Perhaps some of the budget is going towards creekbed enhancements . . .
In talking with some of the Fairmont folks, this is correct. Much of the $6M will go to parkifying that stretch of the creek and not to the skywalk proper.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2016, 3:53 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
In talking with some of the Fairmont folks, this is correct. Much of the $6M will go to parkifying that stretch of the creek and not to the skywalk proper.
That's amazing.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2016, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
That's amazing.
I'm an expatriate, but I seem to recall a great BBQ place right there, on the corner, across the street from the hotel - I think it was called "Ironworks?" I remember looking at Waller Creek from there - it was not a very pretty site, at the time, and I remember wishing that the city would do something about it, someday. Does anyone know if that BBQ place is going to remain on that site (or even if it's still there)?

Old Posted Sep 16, 2016, 5:18 PM

That's Iron Works and it's still there and I assume it's staying.

Edited to add: A posting from Iron Works FB page "An update on the progess of our new neighbor @FairmontHotels."

Last edited by LoneStarMike; Sep 16, 2016 at 5:27 PM. Reason: added info

Old Posted Sep 16, 2016, 10:41 PM
on the south side

[QUOTE=lzppjb;7555594]I hate Chrome. All hail, the Snipping Tool. These are Mopacs photos, obviously.

Another big plus for the Fairmonts presence on the eastern edge of the downtown skyline, it minimizes the view of the hideous Hilton that has stuck out like like a sore thumb when approaching the downtown skyline from I-35 south for almost 15 years.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2016, 11:53 PM

But the Hilton Garden Inn is truly the building that needs to be blocked from view somehow.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2016, 1:03 AM
World Traveler

^^ Yes.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2016, 5:08 PM

9/18

These are from a few weeks ago. I was unable to post due to computer problems. I really like the way the glass reflects clouds.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 12:21 AM

The covering is nice, the design is...ok, everything when completed should be top notch, I'm just a little disappointed with the height. It just seems shorter than I thought it would be. With only a few floors to go plus the cap, it will still seem short. I don't think the spire will improve on that but we'll see. Sticking it on one end of a rectangular building seems like an odd fit when I try to imagine it. I'm going to have to see it in person once the spire is up and form my final opinion because right now I'm on the fence. I like it but I wouldn't go back for more att. From pic 1 and 5, it resembles the JW. There's not a whole lot of architectural seperation aside from the cladding and vertical notch.
Nice pics corvairkeith.

Last edited by the Genral; Sep 19, 2016 at 12:32 AM.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 5:38 AM
Meh

I think the size of it sort of distorts the height a bit and makes it seem shorter than it is. I was taking pictures of the skyline from the South Austin Hospital garage (I still need to get them up) - anyway, from that garage + the ground elevation, you're nearly even with some of the tallest buildings in downtown. I noticed it's still somewhat shorter than the Four Seasons right now. The Four Seasons Residences is 401 feet to the mechanical penthouse boxes. The Fairmont will be 456 feet to the mechanical screen and 420 feet to the main roof. So it'll be a little taller. It'll still have the 2nd highest roof east of Congress, and it'll have the 5th highest roof until the Independent and 5th & West are finished.

Design-wise, I can take it or leave it. Every time I look at this building I try to envision what the original design would have looked like, and I gotta say, it sucks that's the reaction I have every time I see it. As for the JW Marriott, I think it's better building actually. The glass accents on that one makes it one of the most interesting facades we've seen so far.

Anyway, what I'm looking forward to most now is the lighting, the views from it, and watching the spire go up and how it'll affect the skyline.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
From pic 1 and 5, it resembles the JW.
When you put the two side by side, the similarity is uncanny. I really think both White Lodging and Manchester were working from the same Butterick pattern for this one -- a six or so story podium for public space and a flat rectangular obelisk for 1000ish rooms. Though to be honest, understanding that a hotel of that size needs certain things -- a parking garage, a certain amount of meeting space, a certain number of food outlets -- and given that both had about a city block to fill, the podium/obelisk setup just might be the best use of space.

I still think it's an important linchpin project for that strip of the city. I guarantee you'll see more development start to fill in there within the next few years.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
When you put the two side by side, the similarity is uncanny.
To me, they're basically twin towers. Fairmont being the male tower

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 6:55 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie_guy View Post
To me, they're basically twin towers. Fairmont being the male tower

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 1:38 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I think the size of it sort of distorts the height a bit and makes it seem shorter than it is.
That always happens with plain glass buildings. All the glass blends together to form one "solid" rectangular shape, so there's nothing to relate it to human scale to give it any sense of actual height. With buildings in which you can clearly delineate the windows (art deco or neo-gothic for example) you get a sense of scale and the buildings in those architectural styles always appear taller than all glass buildings of a similar shape.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 4:22 PM
クラブトクヨ

The base is going to look really nice in my opinion.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 2:27 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post
The base is going to look really nice in my opinion.
I respect your opinion. But does it add anything to what makes Austin great? I think it would fit right in near the Houston airport.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 5:51 PM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
I respect your opinion. But does it add anything to what makes Austin great? I think it would fit right in near the Houston airport.
I am not native to Austin, and everyone seems to have a different idea of what makes Austin great. What makes Austin great to you?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 5:56 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
This would not fit in near the Houston airport. Not sure how you can say that at all...

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 6:40 PM

Quote:
It adds jobs...that's great.
It adds hotel rooms, that's REALLY great.
It replaces a parking lot, that's super.
It adds tax revenue to our (inexplicably) stretched budget.
It adds another tower to our ever growing skyline, if you are into that sorta thing. Even buildings I hate are cool to me because they fill in the skyline.
GREAT!
Fairmont's I've visited are typically high design, taking cues from the surrounding city. Austin has plenty of "make it work" design, and could stand to use some more high design. Do we have to all were jeans all day everyday? I'm building my house in Zilker now, and my wife and I toured dozens of very nice homes in very nice neighborhoods for design inspiration, and found the most exciting design inspiration came from new well designed homes in The freaking Woodlands of all places. I'm ashamed to say that, but the "old rusted" Austin look is tiring.

sorry for the tangent. Basically, I'm pumped to see this property.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 7:35 PM

Quote:
I get it. I don't think it's an airport property but when you drive by there's something out of scale about it -- especially surrounded as it is by 1) a single story convention center 2) a single story raised highway and 3) open lots on all sides. That podium looks like it belongs in the middle of a fully developed block. It kind of looms.

In time stuff will fill in around it, but I agree, for now it sticks out in a weird way.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin