HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 6:07 AM
Honored Member

This will also act as the Birmingham/Troy station of an extended commuter rail line.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 8:41 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

This is along the line SEMTA (The Detroit-to-Pontiac GTW line) used, right? I sure hope they can come up with the $7 million to finish it.

WSU Virtual Motor City Collection

Wait, doesn't the Wolverine basically run through here, that is, before turning off at the Milwaukee Junction?

Last edited by LMich; Dec 15, 2009 at 8:56 AM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitMan View Post
It will also create more transportation opportunities for patrons of the Oakland/Troy Airport.
There is an airport in Troy?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 5:39 PM
Honored Member

There's several airports in Oakland County. Two of the larger ones are in Troy and Waterford. They're both primarily for smaller private/charter flights.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudkina View Post
There's several airports in Oakland County. Two of the larger ones are in Troy and Waterford. They're both primarily for smaller private/charter flights.
I know about Oakland County International, but I had no idea there was an airport in Troy.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2009, 8:19 AM

Yeah, Troy-Oakland or Oakland/Troy is in the far southwest side of the city. The website says that it's the "executive" airport of Oakland County. It serves a lot of the business community in Oakland County.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2010, 10:31 AM
Detroiter4life

Detroit light rail project gets push from $25M federal grant

Nathan Hurst and David Shepardson / Detroit News Washington Bureau

Washington -- A light rail plan along Woodward to connect downtown Detroit with the New Center area will get a $25 million infusion of federal money, officials briefed on the matter told The Detroit News.
http://www.detnews.com/article/20100217/METRO01/2170363/Detroit-light-rail-project-gets-push-from-$25M-federal-grant

Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 1:41 AM

Bing: Construction on Woodward light rail could start by year's end

BY MATT HELMS
FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

Detroit Mayor Dave Bing said today he believes groundbreaking on the first segment of light rail along Woodward Avenue could start by year’s end and signaled confidence that metro Detroit leaders will win support from the federal government for millions in aid.
http://www.freep.com/article/20100304/NEWS05/100304047

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 1:39 PM
loving that Gary skyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
Wait, doesn't the Wolverine basically run through here, that is, before turning off at the Milwaukee Junction?
It used to terminate there, I believe... between St. Antoine (west), Orleans (on the east), Atwater (south) and Woodbridge (to the north) There hasn't been any rail activity of any kind down there since SEMTA left. It's been all parking lots, or some variant of them.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2010, 1:36 PM
somewhere in-between

Here's some renderings of the design that is on the boards for phase I of Detroit's long-anticipated mass-transit, light rail plan, as proposed by Julie Ju-Youn Kim, AIA and founder of construcTWO, a small architectural firm with offices in Washington DC and Detroit.

All Photos originally from construcTWO's website: http://www.constructwo.com/m1.html

As described by Ingrid Spencer in this month's Architectural Record, the plans are "....a collaboration with HOK/D.C. for a series of light-rail stations in Detroit with dynamic LED lighting systems integrated into translucent glass-panel skins"

Full Article Here http://archrecord.construction.com/a...onstrucTWO.asp

I will look for more information when I have some free time, since this thread hasn't been updated in a while.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2010, 4:09 PM
Show me the blueprints

Those look REALLY nice. Spartan, slick and modern. Good for Detroit! Much much better than the tasteless "theme" architecture we've seen of late in many North American LRT projects.

On further inspection of the rendering though, I am a bit perplexed by the use of solid horizontal armed catenary with mainline syle tensioned wire catenary instead of "pole strung" overhead. This seems to be unneccessary overkill to me and visually obtrusive for an urban arterial light rail line. PAT in Pittsburgh also made this mistake, making some of the lines look like the NorthEast Corridor. Notice the lack of mainline style tensioned catenary in this pic from Berlin:

Or Zagreb, Croatia: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._tram_(15).jpg

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Last edited by Busy Bee; Jun 7, 2010 at 4:24 PM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2010, 4:32 PM
Registered Ugly

Interesting. I thought for sure that the original video showing the route of the M-1 had the cars in center lanes, with island stations. I prefer the above setup better given that Woodward is a busy road, but let's hope car-centric Detroit residents don't have problems parallel parking along Woodward (LOL'ing, kind of).

Old Posted Jun 7, 2010, 5:57 PM

Those electrical stanchions are awesome. Everything looks slick and well designed. I'm happy they aren't shooting for the bare minimum. This is something Detroit can show some pride for.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2010, 8:05 PM
somewhere in-between

According to the Detroit Free Press:

"The city is scheduled to submit a new-starts application for the Woodward Light Rail Project within the next month, and construction is scheduled to start within two years.

There's no time to dally. Detroit and southeast Michigan cannot continue to put off the thorny question of how to pay for operating a transit system, or it will continue to lose hundreds of millions of dollars in federal transit aid to other regions."

Editorial, 14 May 2010

Full Article: http://www.freep.com/article/2010051...sing-fed-funds

There are of course many hurdles to still overcome, but I feel optimistic about this unique project, from the proposed designs to the joint public/private nature of the project.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2010, 12:39 AM
Detroiter4life

Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood expected to announce federal commitment to Woodward light rail

By Bill Shea
CrainsDetroit Business
July 22, 2010
Ray LaHood, the U.S. Department of Transportation secretary, is expected to soon make an announcement in Detroit related to a financial commitment by the Obama administration for the $425 million Woodward Avenue light rail project.
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...FREE/100729955

Old Posted Nov 19, 2012, 3:52 AM

ANN ARBOR-TO-DETROIT COMMUTER RAIL: SEMCOG says demonstration trains could start next year

By RYAN J. STANTON Political Reporter 61 Comments

Posted on Wed, Nov 14, 2012 : 12:50 p.m.

Six newly refurbished, bi-level commuter rail cars made their first test run from Pontiac to Jackson and back Tuesday night, passing through Ann Arbor.

Officials involved in the Ann Arbor-to-Detroit commuter rail initiative are hoping to hear back sometime next week whether the cars passed the test, which is required to be cleared for service. And if that happens, the public could be invited to ride demonstration trains starting next year.

Steve Sobel of the Michigan Association of Railroad Passengers captured this shot of the newly refurbished rail cars during this week's testing.

"Things seemed to go well," said Carmine Palombo, director of transportation programs for the Southeast Michigan Council of Governments.
Tuesday's train, led by an Amtrak locomotive, made stops in Birmingham, Royal Oak, Detroit's New Center, Dearborn, the sites of planned commuter rail stations at Henry Ruff and Michigan Avenue near Detroit Metro Airpot and at Depot Town in Ypsilanti, Ann Arbor, Dexter and Chelsea before arriving in Jackson. The cars were tested at normal operating speeds of up to 79 mph.

http://www.annarbor.com/news/ann-arb...-rail-cars-pa/

----------------------------------------------------------------------

If I lived in Michigan I'd definitely be taking this.
Commuting to work you can sip your coffee in comfort, check emails and news and don't have to worry about traffic or road conditions

Going to game in Ann Arbor? You and your friends can sit in a group actually facing each other. Open up some beers and snack foods. Yeah...can't do that while driving!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 9:17 AM

Speaking of mass transit, I was surprised this didn't get more news. Earlier this month, SEMCOG formally began an Alternative Anaylsis for the entire length of Woodward. The failed LRT project only studied 9.3 miles of this route, and the current Streetcar project only studied 3.3 miles. This will study the entire 27 mile corridor, and be completed in early 2014.

Woodward Avenue Rapid Transit Alternative Analysis

What's really hindering - or at least providing a disincentive - for these studies to move more quickly, is the legislature's stalling of the regional transit authority bills in both the house and senate. You get that out of the way, and all the chains fall away and transit advocates start moving faster to formulating a plan to win operational funding for these things, since the RTA legislation provides for a stable structure to fund operations. So long as we're in this legislative limbo, everything moves more cautiously.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 2:59 PM
Honored Member

I can save time and money and already say LRT/BRT/streetcars wouldn't need to go beyond Birmingham. Maple Rd is the furthest it needs to go. Bloomfield Hills and Pontiac would be better served by commuter rail. Commuters would be able to have direct access to the LRT/BRT/streetcar system via a Royal Oak transit center. (The line would almost certainly have to veer off Woodward along Washington Ave to serve downtown Royal Oak and then return to Woodward via 11 Mile or Sherman Dr.)

Old Posted Nov 22, 2012, 4:26 AM

Agreed. Isn't Troy's new transit center being built on the Troy-Birmingham border? In all actuality, you might not even have to take it up to Birmingham, though, it does seem like a logical space to let the commuter rail pick up the work.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2012, 2:07 PM
Honored Member

The Birmingham/Troy commuter station is too far from downtown Birmingham, and it would benefit Birmingham to have direct access to the LRT/BRT/streetcar. The density between Royal Oak and Birmingham is high enough to warrant a system and the Beaumont area could become a major Bethesda-esque focal point in between.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest