HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 10:24 PM

Ncf

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 10:25 PM

This is Trolley Plaza. Grey tower under Book Tower. I've always thought of it as a very ugly tower. Even for one that's not empty and dirty.

I don't think it's ugly whatsoever. It just doesn't have the spectacular characteristics that those old ones did, back in their heyday. However I would hate to see these beautiful old depression era skyscrapers demolished. Hopefully, the empty ones can be gutted inside, reconstructed, and restored again.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 6:09 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockMont View Post
This is Trolley Plaza. Grey tower under Book Tower. I've always thought of it as a very ugly tower. Even for one that's not empty and dirty.

I don't think it's ugly whatsoever. It just doesn't have the spectacular characteristics that those old ones did, back in their heyday. However I would hate to see these beautiful old depression era skyscrapers demolished. Hopefully, the empty ones can be gutted inside, reconstructed, and restored again.
I agree with you. I don't think it's ugly at all. Maybe some minor sprucing up, but I actually like the variety.

As for the depression era 'scrapers: most of the big ones are being redeveloped, or there are plans in the works. Detroit is more hopeful than ever in my lifetime.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
I agree with you. I don't think it's ugly at all. Maybe some minor sprucing up, but I actually like the variety.

As for the depression era 'scrapers: most of the big ones are being redeveloped, or there are plans in the works. Detroit is more hopeful than ever in my lifetime.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think this a nice structure worthy of saving. It is quite unique, not just in detroit but within the country.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2011, 4:35 PM

http://www.detnews.com/article/20111...n-Capitol-Park

Quote:
Westin investor has eyes set on Capitol Park

Louis Aguilar/ The Detroit News
October 15. 2011

The developer behind the $200 million renovation of the Westin Book Cadillac Detroit is interested in buying another downtown building.
Cleveland-based John Ferchill says he is one of the bidders to purchase up to three empty buildings in Detroit's Capitol Park area that are now under the control of a group of economic development agencies. Capitol Park is a triangular enclave bounded by Shelby, Griswold and State streets. It's just west of Woodward Avenue and one block away from the Westin Book Cadillac on Washington Boulevard.

"The only detail you're going to get out of me is that I'm working with a partner," Ferchill said. "Obviously, I think that area will be a great success because of the success of the Book Cadillac. There are more people around that building all the time."

The deadline for bids was Friday. Officials plan to make a final selection by Dec. 15. Interest in the three buildings appeared to be strong, said David Di Rita, a principal with The Roxbury Group development firm, who gave tours to developers of the area. But Di Rita declined to be specific.

For now, Capitol Park is more promise than reality. Named because it was home of the state's first Capitol building, the cluster of 17 buildings bordering the park is plagued by vacancy. Detroit economic development officials would like to see plans for a walkable neighborhood with new apartment buildings and retail shops

Old Posted Oct 23, 2011, 6:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowell @ DYes
Progress on Broderick.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 6:59 AM

YAYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!! WINDOWS

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 11:01 PM

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...velopment-near

Quote:
Dan Gilbert’s real estate unit considers development near Compuware that would include apartments

By Daniel Duggan | Crain's Detroit Business
October 25, 2011

Dan Gilbert and his real estate group have started exploring the idea of a mixed-use development with retail and loft-style apartments immediately north of the Compuware Building on the site of the former J.L. Hudson department store.

It marks a departure from the plan floated five years ago on that site, which would have been used for the headquarters of Gilbert’s Quicken Loans Inc.

While Gilbert and his group are typically silent on pending deals, the group released a statement today because the tax incentives previously approved on the site need to be reauthorized by the end of 2011.

Gilbert and his real estate group, Bedrock Management, will pursue a 15-year extension of a renaissance zone, which carries with it a host of tax incentives. The current set of incentives will last until 2017.

“Bedrock and its affiliates currently own rights to develop the site and are evaluating options to do so — including potential retail, parking and residential loft-style apartments — at some point in the future,” according to the statement issued through Quicken’s vice president of communications, Paula Silver, by email.

When Gilbert announced his move downtown in 2007, part of the plan included the construction of an office complex on one of several sites in Detroit. In addition to the Hudson site, the site of the former Statler Hilton just to the west was also discussed as an option.

The new development plan was later tabled during the worst part of the recession, then tabled again as Gilbert switched to the strategy of acquiring existing buildings instead of building a new tower.

In 2011, he has acquired 1.7 million square feet of office space and 3,500 parking spaces. He has purchased the Madison Theatre Building, the Chase Tower, the First National Building and the Dime Building, all in Detroit.

He also has three smaller buildings under contract on the east side of Woodward Avenue just south of Grand Circus Park.

The need for more residential space in Detroit is something that many developers, consultants and businesses have discussed in recent months.

Most apartments in the central business district are fully occupied with waiting lists, and the Midtown neighborhood is more than 93 percent occupied.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Metro Detroit home prices rise 2.7% in August, among hottest in country

Greta Guest | Detroit Free Press
Oct. 25, 2011

Home prices in metro Detroit rose 2.7% in August, making it one of the strongest summer selling markets in the country.

For the second month in a row, metro Detroit and Washington, D.C., ranked as the only two major metropolitan areas to see price appreciation in the past year though many areas showed prices rose from July to August, according to the S&P/Case-Shiller Home Price Indices released this morning.

Midwest cities including Detroit, Minneapolis and Chicago have posted monthly increases since May.

“These markets were some of the weakest during the crisis, particularly Detroit,” said David M. Blitzer, chairman of the index committee at S&P Indices. “But as of August 2011, Detroit is the healthiest when viewed on an annual basis.”

Metro Detroit home prices still linger at 1995 levels, however. Average home prices in the metro area rose 1.4% from July to August and 4.3% from June to July.
http://www.freep.com/article/2011102...ottest-country

Old Posted Nov 4, 2011, 11:59 AM

Hoping to see a lot in this area.

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 5, 2011, 10:41 PM

This is starting to become a Broderick thread. They had an open tour recently and here are the pics.

http://photos.mlive.com/5628/gallery...oit/index.html

Michael Wayland | MLive.com

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 12:52 AM

Dancin banana time!

Please let book tower be next!

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 3:35 AM

I'm in those pics of the Broderick Tower preview. It was so neat seeing the before part of this renovation in progress. Will be unreal to witness the building with lights on, people living there and the exterior lit once more.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 7:31 AM

They really need to get rid of some of those surface parking lots.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2011, 1:41 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
They really need to get rid of some of those surface parking lots.

You don't get rid of a surface parking lot. You find a higher and better use for it. And while we're on the topic, are you interested in buying a few?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2011, 6:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
You don't get rid of a surface parking lot. You find a higher and better use for it. And while we're on the topic, are you interested in buying a few?
how much money does a parking lot generally make a year in downtown Detroit?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 3:18 AM

Oh uhh...the David Whitney Building is going to renovated (as evidenced as the smaller sign) also the windows are done half way up the Broderick.

IMG_4078 by Detroitmi97 Aka Mark The kid

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 6:00 AM

Not that there is anything wrong with the iPad 2 ad, but that is huge news if true! Great shot also! Nothing like a mini renaissance taking place (along with the Book Cadillac, of course!)

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 6:35 PM
Registered Ugly

I can't keep track of what's being renovated downtown. Can anyone provide a brief list?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2011, 6:50 PM

I have never been to Detroit, but looking at the pictures; Detroit has some great architecture from the early 1900's. Good to read about a number of buildings being repurposed for new uses. I have sneaky feeling in a few years Detroit's downtown center will be a model for renovation and revitalization.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations