HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 27, 2013, 5:26 PM
ARTchitecture

That would be sick man, do it up!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 2:45 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
Well well, Ottawa's getting a little height.
Isn't there a law that states that nothing can be taller than the 'Peace Tower'?
Which is very short.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 2:52 AM
New Brunswick booster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ih8pickingusernames View Post
Isn't there a law that states that nothing can be taller than the 'Peace Tower'?
Which is very short.
Did you even read the caption of the picture?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 7:23 PM
BANNED

^ Can't believe I missed that. Thanks for making me feel like an idiot!

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 2:34 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewjm3D View Post
I didn't need to use a telephoto lens from that vantage.
I know, that's what I was commenting on. A telephoto lens does distort things to a significant degree; the ones without don't accentuate the skyline as much.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 3:18 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
Well well, Ottawa's getting a little height.
I didn't see that coming either. Makes one wonder if Vancouver, Montreal, and Halifax will overcome their height restrictions by building outside their core.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 3:39 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I didn't see that coming either. Makes one wonder if Vancouver, Montreal, and Halifax will overcome their height restrictions by building outside their core.
In terms of Halifax, the northern region of the peninsula is beginning to develop a cluster of towers. This area is still somewhat close to the downtown, but far enough to be unconcerned about the Citadel's height protections.

I expect this part of the city to see out-of-character height being proposed in the coming decade. And there will be a lot of support for such proposals. I suspect people who support Citadel protections are totally fine with developers going all out with height outside of the downtown. The only opposition will be from NIMBYs in the nearby low-density residential neighbourhoods -- but even those areas are seeing low and mid-rise developments.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 3:40 AM
The good old days are now

I made a few outlines of the future high-rises in the western part of downtown Montreal. This area will be greatly improved, no matter what! EDIT: I noticed I cropped out where the Deloitte tower will be. It will be built just to the right (east) of the Bell Centre.

(Google Earth)

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 4:26 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
In terms of Halifax, the northern region of the peninsula is beginning to develop a cluster of towers. This area is still somewhat close to the downtown, but far enough to be unconcerned about the Citadel's height protections.

I expect this part of the city to see out-of-character height being proposed in the coming decade. And there will be a lot of support for such proposals. I suspect people who support Citadel protections are totally fine with developers going all out with height outside of the downtown. The only opposition will be from NIMBYs in the nearby low-density residential neighbourhoods -- but even those areas are seeing low and mid-rise developments.
What northern region are you referring to? There were a couple of small highrises recently built near North and Gladstone, but other than that I have no idea...

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 5:15 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

There are a few proposals for 15-20 storey towers around Young Street in Halifax but construction hasn't started on those. Maybe there will some taller (~30+) buildings around there in the future.

King's Wharf is supposed to start soon. It's possible that in a couple of years the 2 tallest buildings in town will be in the South End and Dartmouth rather than downtown.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 5:29 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
I think this is already occurring in Vancouver's suburbs.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 9:03 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
What northern region are you referring to? There were a couple of small highrises recently built near North and Gladstone, but other than that I have no idea...
Approved Young Street Towers, both 17-storeys.

Proposed Robie Street Tower, 19-storeys.

These towers, accompanied by Young Tower that was built quite some time ago, will form a modest cluster of buildings that are within the height we tend to expect in Halifax. But...this area, being far enough from the Citadel, is the most likely area on the peninsula to see more height.

I'm hoping for 40+ eventually.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2013, 7:12 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyte View Post
Future Edmonton skyline from the north. Included are Stationlands II, Manulife II, Ultima condos and Dub's 107th st midrise:

^photoshoped by me, base image source: kcanivet @ flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/kcanive...n/photostream/
Love this one of Edmonton

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2013, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Love this one of Edmonton
It needs Kelly Ramsey, Fox, and Encore added

Old Posted Apr 1, 2013, 9:32 PM
ARTchitecture

Sure does! They are certainly picking up momentum

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 7:45 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
I often contemplated that. Peninsula Halifax may end up looking looking like the peninsula downtown Vancouver sits on. It would obviously require decades to realize, but growth on the peninsula has no where to go but up.

Right now, I'm happy that the traditional downtown is intensifying but it's inevitable that Halifax will start seeing tall buildings in Dartmouth and/or the North end. Who wouldn't want views of the Bedford Basin and/or Dartmouth from a 40 floor condo?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 1:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I often contemplated that. Peninsula Halifax may end up looking looking like the peninsula downtown Vancouver sits on. It would obviously require decades to realize, but growth on the peninsula has no where to go but up.

Right now, I'm happy that the traditional downtown is intensifying but it's inevitable that Halifax will start seeing tall buildings in Dartmouth and/or the North end. Who wouldn't want views of the Bedford Basin and/or Dartmouth from a 40 floor condo?
I'm also happy about the downtown developing more density.

There are some in Halifax that believe building height needs to be strictly controlled -- and that towers in the downtown are already too tall. There are others in Halifax who believe we should Manhattanise ASAP...

I believe in a compromise.

I am fine with the areas immediately surrounding Citadel Hill maintaining their height restrictions in order to protect this national historic site and to protect downtown Halifax's bonsai cityscape, which is part of the city's built history; although, there are a number of harbour viewplanes I would reduce and completely remove.

Peninsular Halifax doesn't belong to Citadel Hill, however. I would insist upon big-city height being promoted throughout the North End. So while the peninsula near the Citadel would resemble something like a mini-Vancouver, the north would resemble a mini-Toronto.

I would love for there to be an observation tower in the North End (or rather, the 'Uptown'). Being next to Africville and the Bedford Basin, the MacKay Bridge connected to a more urbanise Dartmouth, and of course with Halifax's historical downtown in the distance -- it would be quite the view.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 6:47 PM
MTL♥

a friend sent this to me..

Many of these are approved and some are under construction

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 6:48 PM
gettin' rich!

That looks amazing, Montreal is moving back into the big leagues!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 6:49 PM
MTL♥

here is another

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada