Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 6:40 PM

25 Years of Urban Growth and Density Change in 66 Global Cities

25 Years of Urban Growth and Density Change in 66 Global Cities

August 6, 2018

Read More: https://www.vividmaps.com/2018/08/25...al-cities.html

Worldwide Interactive Charts: http://www.atlasofurbanexpansion.org/

Quote:
The 66 cities in this visualization are shown at the same scale, allowing the viewer to easily compare city sizes. The cities are also grouped in rows by world region. The important note of clarification: the “urban extents” shown here do not represent their respective cities as traditionally defined by administrative boundaries. Rather, they represent the contiguous built-up urbanized area of each city’s respective metropolitan region.

- This contiguous built-up urbanized area was determined through satellite imagery analysis. It’s important to note that this definition includes very low-density suburbs. It even includes some undeveloped or rural/agricultural land, if that rural land is surrounded by or within a certain distance of the actual urbanized built-up area. --- Each city is a shown in two colors, where black equals the urban extent circa 1988 and yellow equals the urban extent circa 2014. There is a trove of information contained within these two colors. They can tell us the scale, the shape, the direction, and the compactness of urban growth over the last quarter century.

- For example, some cities’ recent growth has been concentric, spreading out from the center like an expanding blob (Hyderabad, Chengdu), while other cities’ recent growth radiates out from the center along linear paths (Tashkent, Tehran, Moscow) which undoubtedly are built along transportation corridors. While the urban extent of most cities in the sample was relatively compact in 1988, in 2014 numerous cities appear “scattered or “perforated” around the edges, evidence of low-density suburban sprawl interfacing with the city’s rural periphery. Another caveat: the areas shown as “new urban extent” (yellow) are mostly new development, but they may also include some previously-existing towns, which were in 1988 considered separate from the urban region, but which have been “swallowed up” by the expanding city in the years since.

- Some cities, such as Caracas, Osaka, and Los Angeles, appear almost entirely black, meaning the city’s physical extent has grown very little since 1988. This could be due to a number of reasons, from poor economic performance to geographical constraints such as mountains or water bodies. In the case of Los Angeles, rapid urban growth occurred in the early and mid 20th century, but by the end of the 20th century, there was little room left to expand other than around the fringes (Santa Clarita, Simi Valley, and the Inland Empire). On the other end of the spectrum, some cities appear mostly yellow. These are the cities that have expanded rapidly beyond their boundaries in 1988. It makes sense that cities in developing countries with high economic growth and growing urbanizing populations would see extensive physical expansion. But not all developing regions are physically expanding as fast as the rest. And none have grown as fast as China’s cities.

- The visualization clearly shows that Chinese cities have expanded faster than cities anywhere else in the world during the last 25 years. Beijing quadrupled in size; Chengdu grows by 10 times. Within the United States, we see different city regions expanding at different rates. Mature cities like Los Angeles and cities with policies such as Portland’s urban growth boundary have expanded much less than cities with lax land use controls like Houston, Raleigh-Durham, and Cleveland. --- So far, we’ve only been looking at the physical size of cities. However, size alone tells us nothing about a city’s density (defined here as people per hectare, equal to 1/100 of a square kilometer, or roughly 2.5 acres). Tokyo and Chicago are of similar size but Tokyo fits more than 4 times as many people into the same area. If the population was held constant then an increase in a city’s physical area would correlate with a decrease in density (since density = population ÷ area).

- Although Los Angeles physically grew by 20% between 1988 and 2014, its population grew by 24%, thus resulting in a small net increase in density of 4%. Shenzhen’s physical area has grown sixfold since 1988, but its population grew twenty-fold, leading to a more than doubling of density. But in China, Shenzhen is the exception, not the rule. Chinese cities used to have densities similar to other East Asian cities. And while most other East Asian cities have seen declines in density over the last 25 years (Singapore and Manila being exceptions), none have seemed declines as steep as China’s. Just today the New York Times had a story about the growing pains facing Tianjin, which built whole new city districts from scratch only to see them sit idle. It shouldn’t then come as a huge surprise that out of the 66 cities in this sample, Tianjin saw the biggest drop in density, to the point that it’s now less dense than western cities like London and Madrid.

- Turning to the United States, it seems crazy that cities like Raleigh-Durham, which was already very low density, to begin with, has seen an additional 30% decline in density since 1988. Clearly, whatever benefits were brought by “new urbanist” urban infill projects in downtown Raleigh-Durham have been offset by extreme low-density suburban sprawl. New York is associated with “high density” in most people’s minds because of the Manhattan skyline, but the region as a whole has seen a more than 20% decline in density, and the culprit is the same as in Raleigh-Durham: suburban sprawl around the edges. Houston is an interesting case. Although it has seen significant sprawl, its density has actually remained even over the years, suggesting that its population growth and urban expansion have remained in balance. But perhaps what surprised me most in these findings is that most European cities have also seen precipitous declines in density.

- As an American urbanist, I’ve always viewed European cities through rose-colored glasses, taking it as a given that European cities “do density” better than American ones. And still, they are denser than American cities on average, by a factor of about 3. But that difference used to be even greater, as several European cities have apparently seen steeper declines in density than their American counterparts. I realize now that my impressions of Europe were biased by the fact that I’ve spent more time in the historic urban cores of these its cities than I have in its suburbs, when in fact European cities have been moving in the exact same direction as American and Chinese ones: towards more suburban sprawl. --- Some final takeaways. People in my profession (urban planning) love to evangelize about the benefits of density. But few people actually know how to talk about density or know how the density of one city actually compares with that of another. By placing 66 diverse cities side-by-side, along with their density score, I’ve tried to make those comparisons more natural.

- Most people don’t know what “40 people per hectare” actually means, but if you can put a name to that density (e.g. “Paris”) it’s easier to visualize. The cities in this sample range from 7 people per hectare (Raleigh-Durham) to 372 (Dhaka). Most people, even planners, would agree that 372 people per hectare are probably not ideal. Then what is the ideal? Something between 54 (Tokyo) and 106 (Istanbul) seems reasonable. But what if I told you that there are whole sections of American cities (not just New York but Los Angeles) that are just as dense as Mexico City (85), Lagos (133), or even Karachi (282). That’s because density, as actually lived, varies from neighborhood to neighborhood, and this visualization masks a whole lot of variation beneath the surface by averaging density across the entire metro region. And yet, the average density is still a useful metric, and the best way to make city-to-city comparisons. American cities need to get their density trend lines out of the red, like Portland and Los Angeles have done.

Top fastest growing cities:

1. Kabul
2. Johannesburg
3. Bogota
4. Dhaka
4. Khartoum

Top shrinking cities
1. Tianjin
2. Ho Chi Ming City
3. Jaipur
4. Seoul
5. Accra, Cairo, Kolkata, Berlin, Zhengzhou

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 7:58 PM
Dryer lint inspector

For all slack Houston gets on this forum and in general, it looks like it's done alright according to this...better than that sprawl monster New York.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
For all slack Houston gets on this forum and in general, it looks like it's done alright according to this...better than that sprawl monster New York.
How?

New York is just bigger. And the dynamic in Eastern cities is different, because there are existing towns/villages amid protected rural farmland which have been that way for a hundred years, and then suddenly become considered part of “metro NYC”. But places like the North Fork and Montauk (which I wouldn’t consider metro NYC, but seem to be coloured in yellow on the map) aren’t sprawl ‘burbs. They’re towns surrounded by farmland, protected nature reserves and vineyards.

And there’s also a starting point bias (or some similar concept). Most of the densest cities in the developed world have become less dense because households have become smaller and people no longer cram a family of 5 into a 2-bedroom apartment, as everyone on SSP should understand. Metros like Houston will increase density because they were so sparsely populated before. But you wouldn’t want many NYC neighborhoods to be as dense as they were prior to WW2.

Same for those Chinese cities. They’re probably building some sprawl, but there’s also people moving out of overcrowded, substandard housing.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 10:33 PM
恭喜发财!

If their Shanghai data is anything to go by, I don't buy the accuracy of their Chinese data. They're just using the municipality boundaries for Shanghai's 2014 data, which are totally artificial and don't really reflect the 'true' extent of the city.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
How?

New York is just bigger. And the dynamic in Eastern cities is different, because there are existing towns/villages amid protected rural farmland which have been that way for a hundred years, and then suddenly become considered part of “metro NYC”. But places like the North Fork and Montauk (which I wouldn’t consider metro NYC, but seem to be coloured in yellow on the map) aren’t sprawl ‘burbs. They’re towns surrounded by farmland, protected nature reserves and vineyards.

And there’s also a starting point bias (or some similar concept). Most of the densest cities in the developed world have become less dense because households have become smaller and people no longer cram a family of 5 into a 2-bedroom apartment, as everyone on SSP should understand. Metros like Houston will increase density because they were so sparsely populated before. But you wouldn’t want many NYC neighborhoods to be as dense as they were prior to WW2.

Same for those Chinese cities. They’re probably building some sprawl, but there’s also people moving out of overcrowded, substandard housing.
New York is certainly a place of extremes, look at the density of places right across the Hudson from Manhattan.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 12:30 AM

Very interesting article, but looking at the shapes of some the cities makes me question thier methodology. Osaka, for example, doesn't look like it includes Kobe and Kyoto, but judging from satellite images, there appears to be contiguous built up areas between them.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 1:23 AM
Never Dell

I wish they'd do more cities!

Portland is one of the clear winners. LA too. And London.

But yes accuracy questions. They're not including the outer satellites of London or the US cities for example.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 3:18 AM

Are these to scale? Because I can compare the size of Wilmington's metro area to metros around the world.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 5:08 AM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Are these to scale? Because I can compare the size of Wilmington's metro area to metros around the world.
I was wondering the same thing... it appears to be drawn to scale, but I'm hoping to god that Raleigh's footprint isn't actually the same size as Mexico City and Chengdu...

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 9:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Portland is one of the clear winners.
Indeed. Portland has grown from about 1.5 million to 2.5 million in that time.

The urban growth boundary has worked really well at filling in vacant lots and defining where development happens in a cost effective and efficient manner benefiting everyone. The densification that we've seen in the city the past 10 years has been some really high quality stuff. There area a lot of challenges though but I think few of those are specific to the UGB and are more the kind of problems (real or perceived) all rapidly growing cities face.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhun1 View Post
New York is certainly a place of extremes, look at the density of places right across the Hudson from Manhattan.
Everything right across the Hudson from Manhattan is very dense by American standards. It’s only north of the GW Bridge that it becomes suburban sprawl.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 1:47 PM
BANNED

I bet most western U.S. cities grew more dense while most eastern cities became less dense. Miami would probably be an exception.

Some notables:
1] L.A.: the most people per hectare at 26 and growing ever more dense!
2] Houston: more people per hectare than Philadelphia
3] Houston = Chicagoland in terms of density, however if the trends continue, it will become more dense than Chicagoland.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 2:12 PM

Quote:
I wish they'd do more cities!

Portland is one of the clear winners. LA too. And London.

But yes accuracy questions. They're not including the outer satellites of London or the US cities for example.
And London benefits from starting point bias as well. If they used a data set starting in the early 1960s, then London would have become significantly less dense.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Everything right across the Hudson from Manhattan is very dense by American standards. It’s only north of the GW Bridge that it becomes suburban sprawl.
But my point is that NYC and it's surrounding areas change sharply when it comes to density, more so than many areas as opposed to Sun Belt places which have little change.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhun1 View Post
But my point is that NYC and it's surrounding areas change sharply when it comes to density, more so than many areas as opposed to Sun Belt places which have little change.
Yeah this is true and why I much prefer the overall density of the Sunbelt (from Texas points west). LA is ideal. I can be 40 miles from Downtown LA and still be dense area by suburban standards (3500 people per square mile or more). The NE may be more dense in the cores of cities (or the entire city themselves) but step outside and the density drops dramatically. Go 40+ miles out and it's exurb style. Yeah I can probably catch a commuter train from one of those quaint old school downtown areas that are a few blocks long, but step outside the railroad burb's core, and it's winding two lane roads sometimes with no sidewalks. You can still catch trains from older suburban cores in LA, but the density won't drop off that much outside of that downtown area. A place like LA doesn't get like the NE until you're deep into the IE 70 miles out from DTLA, and even then those places are changing.

Who is to say which way is ideal as you're covering a large land area either way, even if the core city is very dense.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 3:35 PM

Portland and LA do well here because they're geographically constrained. All the good flat land was pretty much built out by 1988. Houston's 0% density change isn't really that surprising. It was already a big, low density city in 1988. If you have a low density core to begin with, adding (relatively high density) suburban subdivisions at the urban fringe won't change the overall density much. Contrast that with Eastern cities with dense cores where growth along the urban fringe will almost always lower overall density.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
Yeah this is true and why I much prefer the overall density of the Sunbelt (from Texas points west). LA is ideal. I can be 40 miles from Downtown LA and still be dense area by suburban standards (3500 people per square mile or more). The NE may be more dense in the cores of cities (or the entire city themselves) but step outside and the density drops dramatically. Go 40+ miles out and it's exurb style. Yeah I can probably catch a commuter train from one of those quaint old school downtown areas that are a few blocks long, but step outside the railroad burb's core, and it's winding two lane roads sometimes with no sidewalks. You can still catch trains from older suburban cores in LA, but the density won't drop off that much outside of that downtown area. A place like LA doesn't get like the NE until you're deep into the IE 70 miles out from DTLA, and even then those places are changing.

Who is to say which way is ideal as you're covering a large land area either way, even if the core city is very dense.
But who cares about those NY suburbs? They’re what some people want. On the other hand, there is no part of LA where someone would choose to live without a car (i.e., not for financial reasons). There isn’t much of LA that is really walkable and urban parts (and I’m not sure these offer everything a person needs).

A population density of 3,500/sq mi is quite low in absolute terms, and nothing to be excited about. One really has to see densities above 10,000/sq mi before an area really feels urban. Chicago is, on average over its entire ~230 square miles, almost 20% denser than this. A neighborhood doesn’t really become the sort of walkable environment that people here prefer until it tops 15,000/sq mi.

Quibbling over the difference between average metro area densities in the single-digit thousands is pointless. The only relevant data points for urbanites are 1) how much of the city has density above some truly urban threshold (which is probably at least 15k per square mile); and 2) how much of it is served by fixed infrastructure transit (commuter, heavy or light rail).

Also, rural lanes through wooded areas with the occasional house are vastly nicer than inland Western suburban tract housing. They are both equally suburban and auto-dependent, but at least one has something going for it.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 4:30 PM
Never Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
Portland and LA do well here because they're geographically constrained. All the good flat land was pretty much built out by 1988. Houston's 0% density change isn't really that surprising. It was already a big, low density city in 1988. If you have a low density core to begin with, adding (relatively high density) suburban subdivisions at the urban fringe won't change the overall density much. Contrast that with Eastern cities with dense cores where growth along the urban fringe will almost always lower overall density.
Not true...Portland and other West Coast cities have reduced sprawl by choice, in addition to physical contraints. The whole Willamette Valley could be turned to sprawl and hasn't been. Also look at an aerial in the western suburbs...orderly suburbia surrounded by farms.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Not true...Portland and other West Coast cities have reduced sprawl by choice, in addition to physical contraints. The whole Willamette Valley could be turned to sprawl and hasn't been. Also look at an aerial in the western suburbs...orderly suburbia surrounded by farms.
There is tons of sprawl in Beaverton, Hillsboro, etc. The real constraint is probably that the traffic over into Portland proper is already awful.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
Portland has plenty of room to grow with farmland in all directions. Protection of farmland was one of the prime motivators for establishing the urban growth boundary.

As you can see from this USGS land use map and article the urbanized area of the Willamette Valley is miniscule.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions