HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 5:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

'mystery' motel

"1944 PICTURESQUE MOTEL in LOS ANGELES - Long Beach Blvd S. Gate - ORIGINAL SLIDE"

EBAY

At the bottom of the ebay ad the seller adds this additional clue..'Rest E Z Motel'.

Does that eound familiar to anyone?
The Rest EZ Motel is listed in the CDs from 1956 to 1967. The motel at 9014 Long Beach Boulevard is now called the Budget Inn Motel. It appears to be the same building.

GSV

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
The Rest EZ Motel is listed in the CDs from 1956 to 1967. The motel at 9014 Long Beach Boulevard is now called the Budget Inn Motel. It appears to be the same building.

GSV
Gee, they made a stylish--if utilitarian--building look nondescript and unappealing.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 4:16 PM

Anna May Wong was third generation American, brought up in a mixed race/ethnicity/nationality neighborhood in LA, and an accomplished and groundbreaking actress. LA Times piece is typical stereotyping flapdoodle.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 5:33 PM

While looking for my notes on something, I found some interesting notes on something else:

Los Angeles Daily Times, May 22, 1885: "One of the roller-coasting inclined planes so popular in New Orleans, Kansas City, Cincinnati and other cities, is being built at the corner of Charity and Sixth streets. It is intended to be finished May 30th. J.W. Marder and J.D. Henry, of San Francisco, are the proprietors."

Weekly Los Angeles Mirror, June 27, 1885: "Short and sweet was the life of the Sixth street roller-coaster. It will be sold at Sheriff's sale, next Tuesday, to satisfy a claim of the Los Angeles Storage and Lumber Company."

Los Angeles Daily Times, July 1, 1885: "Will Beach has purchased the roller coaster, lately sold by the Sheriff, and will again open it to the public Thursday, July 2nd.

Los Angeles Daily Times, July 2, 1885: "Will Beach starts the Roller Coaster this afternoon at 1 o'clock. … Two scares for five cents at the Roller Coaster, Sixth and Flower. … Cleveland, Ohio, has thirteen Roller Coasters, mostly patronized by adults."

Los Angeles Times, July 3, 1885: "The roller coaster carried 2187 dead head passengers yesterday afternoon."

Los Angeles Daily Times, July 15, 1885: "Will Beach has sold the roller coaster to W.V. Johnson, late of Cincinnati."

Los Angeles Times, August 2, 1885: "The roller-coaster at the corner of Sixth and Pearl streets is a 'holy terror' to surrounding parents. The boys will steal off and get their two rides for a nickel. The savage rumble and roar of the cars as they flash around the circle puts every mother's heart to dread. […] About 3 o'clock yesterday afternoon, he [Tom Harrity] got on a car of the roller-coaster for a ride. He was on the front end of a car; and as it came to the last jump going down, he slipped off. The back of the car runs within about three inches of a plank guard, twelve inches high, intended to keep the centrifugal force from throwing the car off the track. His right leg was caught between this guard and the car, and he was dragged thus until the car stopped […]."

Los Angeles Daily Times, August 4, 1885: "Will Beach, formerly proprietor of the Sixth street roller coaster, explains the accident to Tom Harrity, Saturday, by stating that Tom was not sitting on the seat, but on the forward arm of the coaster, swinging his feet over the back of the car. When within about thirteen feet of the stopping place, his foot caught between the back of the car and the guard. Young Harrity is known throughout the neighborhood as a wild boy, and he was riding on the coaster without leave when his carelessness caused him to get hurt."

August 1, 1899, the Los Angeles Times reports that battery charges against Tom Harrity, etc., were dismissed.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
While looking for my notes on something, I found some interesting notes on something else:

Los Angeles Times, July 3, 1885: "The roller coaster carried 2187 dead head passengers yesterday afternoon."
The Dead was touring in 1885? I know they've been around for a while and Dead Heads are getting along in age now, but...

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 10:31 PM

Quote:

Los Angeles Daily Times, May 22, 1885: "One of the roller-coasting inclined planes so popular in New Orleans, Kansas City, Cincinnati and other cities, is being built at the corner of Charity and Sixth streets. It is intended to be finished May 30th. J.W. Marder and J.D. Henry, of San Francisco, are the proprietors."

Weekly Los Angeles Mirror, June 27, 1885: "Short and sweet was the life of the Sixth street roller-coaster. It will be sold at Sheriff's sale, next Tuesday, to satisfy a claim of the Los Angeles Storage and Lumber Company."

Los Angeles Daily Times, July 1, 1885: "Will Beach has purchased the roller coaster, lately sold by the Sheriff, and will again open it to the public Thursday, July 2nd.

Los Angeles Daily Times, July 2, 1885: "Will Beach starts the Roller Coaster this afternoon at 1 o'clock. … Two scares for five cents at the Roller Coaster, Sixth and Flower. … Cleveland, Ohio, has thirteen Roller Coasters, mostly patronized by adults."

Los Angeles Daily Times, July 15, 1885: "Will Beach has sold the roller coaster to W.V. Johnson, late of Cincinnati."

Los Angeles Times, August 2, 1885: "The roller-coaster at the corner of Sixth and Pearl streets is a 'holy terror' to surrounding parents. The boys will steal off and get their two rides for a nickel. The savage rumble and roar of the cars as they flash around the circle puts every mother's heart to dread. […] About 3 o'clock yesterday afternoon, he [Tom Harrity] got on a car of the roller-coaster for a ride. He was on the front end of a car; and as it came to the last jump going down, he slipped off. The back of the car runs within about three inches of a plank guard, twelve inches high, intended to keep the centrifugal force from throwing the car off the track. His right leg was caught between this guard and the car, and he was dragged thus until the car stopped […]."

Los Angeles Daily Times, August 4, 1885: "Will Beach, formerly proprietor of the Sixth street roller coaster, explains the accident to Tom Harrity, Saturday, by stating that Tom was not sitting on the seat, but on the forward arm of the coaster, swinging his feet over the back of the car. When within about thirteen feet of the stopping place, his foot caught between the back of the car and the guard. Young Harrity is known throughout the neighborhood as a wild boy, and he was riding on the coaster without leave when his carelessness caused him to get hurt."
Very interesting, Odinthor. I'd never heard of that roller coaster before. I had been laboring under the misconception
that this "Toboggan Slide" was LA's first roller coaster:

Los Angeles and Environs Illustrated (1894) @ Sons of the Revolution Library and Museum, Glendale CA (FW photo)

The Toboggan Slide was on the north side of the Millar Block, which was at 137-39 S. Broadway:

September 11, 1894, Los Angeles Herald @ CDNC

However, nearby property owners complained about the noise associated with the Toboggan Slide's operation:

Oct 14, 1894, Los Angeles Herald @ CDNC

It looks like the LA City Council finally forced the Toboggan Slide to close. It was supposed to close on November 18, but was reported on
November 30 to be open again:

November 14, 1894, Los Angeles Herald @ CDNC

There was at least one lawsuit:

Nov 24, 1894, Los Angeles Herald @ CDNC

The Toboggan Slide apparently closed for good after a brief run at Christmas before it was dismantled and moved to New Orleans:

Dec 22, 1894, Los Angeles Herald @ CDNC

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Sep 20, 2018 at 1:03 AM. Reason: location detail

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 11:47 PM

Wondering if anyone might happen to recognize this house...as seen in an early Perry Mason episode:

CBS

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 12:40 AM
Tikiman

Speaking of Catalina and the old fountain; here is a nice shot of it. Some guy named Jim and his young wife, Norma Jeane are blocking the shot of it. Or maybe this is a diferent fountain. It doesn't look the same but it is on Catalina. LOL.
thanks to our friend at InfinateMarilynMonroe for this photo.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
Wondering if anyone might happen to recognize this house...as seen in an early Perry Mason episode:

CBS
That looks maddeningly familiar. But I'm drawing a blank trying to think of upscale residential streets that have a traffic island, as seen in the first image.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 2:09 AM

re: A ROLLERCOASTER - DOWNTOWN - IN 1885!

Quote:

August 1, 1899, the Los Angeles Times reports that battery charges against Tom Harrity, etc., were dismissed. -odinthor

This is only the second 'JOAN CRAWFORD - I LOVE THIS POST' award.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
The Rest EZ Motel is listed in the CDs from 1956 to 1967. The motel at 9014 Long Beach Boulevard is now called the Budget Inn Motel.
It appears to be the same building.

GSV
Thanks for finding the location of the 'mystery' motel HossC.

cardcow / undated

note: The 1944 Ebay Slide is missing the 'Rest E Z' part of the sign.

DETAIL

To me, the ebay slide seems more recent than 1944....but what do I know.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 2:53 AM

Two 'mystery' streets from the J. McNeer slides [1951-1953]

ebay

And don't go telling me this is IOWA.

The best clue is obviously the HAMBURGER HAVEN sign.

ebay

If I remember correctly, the seller said the restaurant [the one in the pinkish building] was ...Mira Mar...or something similar to that.

I'm looking for the slide again on Ebay...but I believe it sold already.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 20, 2018 at 3:05 AM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 3:11 AM

I couldn't locate the slide again

but I fiddled with the sign. [lightened / more contrast]

DETAIL

It does appear to say Mira Mar.

and here's how the name appears on the building itself (I hadn't noticed the word 'restaurant'...I thought it was bric-a brac).

DETAIL

Good luck sleuths!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 4:09 AM
Tikiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
While we're on the subject of cars over cliffs...

Video Link
Thus proving it's a mad mad mad mad world.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 4:31 AM

Quote:

ebay

If I remember correctly, the seller said the restaurant [the one in the pinkish building] was ...Mira Mar...or something similar to that.
It appears to be the Mira Mar Motor Inn & Restaurant/Ship Room in Oceanside. Plenty of photos at that link.

[source: http://www.tikiroom.com]

Last edited by Handsome Stranger; Sep 20, 2018 at 5:38 AM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 6:09 AM

A Long Lost L.A. Area Golf Course

I found this interesting (to me) article which mentions several long lost Southland golf courses:

https://williambellsociety.wordpress...-lost-courses/

Some, like Fox Hills are fairly well known and lasted quite a while and others are pretty obscure and were victims of The Depression. One I had never heard of sounded fascinating because of its dramatic location on the Palos Verdes Penninsula.
Excerpt:
"Southern California is blessed with miles of Pacific Ocean coastline, yet even in the decades before the Coastal Commission, surprisingly few seaside golf courses were ever constructed here. One that was, however, was Royal Palms, a private club laid out by Billy Bell on 350 acres at White’s Point, on the southwest corner of Los Angeles County’s dramatic Palos Verdes Peninsula. Sitting high atop coastal cliffs and climbing precipitously – while also crossing several deep chasms – as the routing worked its way inland, this was one of the region’s least documented courses, but also one of its most spectacular. Highlights included several death-defying holes like the 365-yard 14th, a downhill drive-and pitch whose approach was played over a chasm, which was then crossed by a narrow footbridge. Most memorable, however, was one of the most impressive finishers in Western American golf, the par-4 18th, which hugged the windblown clifftops for all of its 442-yards. Though offering dazzling panoramic views of the Pacific, and despite having a residential and resort community planned around it, Royal Palms was an early casualty of the Depression, being permanently shuttered in 1933."

Here is a Google Earth view of the White Point area today:
Google Maps

From UCSB Framefinder a couple of late 1920s aerials:
http://mil.library.ucsb.edu/ap_image...c-300_m-79.tif

http://mil.library.ucsb.edu/ap_image.../c-113_223.tif

Both show clear evidence of the course west of White Point near the southern terminus of Western Avenue.

Zoom in of the second shot showing a close up view:

This seems to show, among others, the dramatic 18th hole along the "windblown clifftops". I'm having trouble accepting the fact that my chances of playing this spectacular sounding golf course are long gone.

Last edited by Bristolian; Sep 20, 2018 at 4:59 PM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
NLA is closing in on its 10th anniversary [next June]. Why the long run? One of the reason is that we've kept politics out of the thread.
I haven't looked at the site for a week or two for family reasons. I have just picked up on this comment and may have missed previous posts about this.

Is there any intention to have a successor site? Will the site be taken down or will it be archived?

We all owe ER a big thanks for setting up the site and for all the hard work he has put into the thread to keep it live and interesting. I know that I am going to miss it. Over the years I have learnt such a lot about L.A., have been entertained and have met some great people along the way. ER you are the real deal.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alester young View Post
I haven't looked at the site for a week or two for family reasons. I have just picked up on this comment and may have missed previous posts about this.

Is there any intention to have a successor site? Will the site be taken down or will it be archived?

We all owe ER a big thanks for setting up the site and for all the hard work he has put into the thread to keep it live and interesting. I know that I am going to miss it. Over the years I have learnt such a lot about L.A., have been entertained and have met some great people along the way. ER you are the real deal.
I believe e_r means closing in on in the sense of approaching (its tenth anniversary), not bringing down the curtain on the site.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 5:13 PM

Quote:
re: A ROLLERCOASTER - DOWNTOWN - IN 1885!

This is only the second 'JOAN CRAWFORD - I LOVE THIS POST' award.
I'd like to thank the Academy . . .

I did find one more listing for this roller coaster:

Los Angeles Times, July 7, 1885: "Grand doll show at the roller coaster August 1."

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 5:14 PM

Quote:
I believe e_r means closing in on in the sense of approaching (its tenth anniversary), not bringing down the curtain on the site.
Oops. That's what comes from speed reading.

I thought that it was a bit drastic. Thanks for putting my mind to rest, Odinthor!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos