HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Closed Thread

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 10:16 AM

Youve got to be kidding me. You flip flop more than politicans.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Youve got to be kidding me. You flip flop more than politicans.
....LA has over 15 million people living in this metro..... I would hope LA had more high rises or whatever in its metro over Houston.....

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 6:36 PM

The point isn't that LA or Atlanta or Miami do this thing (whatever it is) more or less than Houston. The point is that they also do it, therefore negating the point that Houston is somehow unique in this aspect.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 7:34 PM
Never Dell

In metros with derelict shopping malls, hospitals, etc., but decent infill potential, major redevelopments aren't unusual. The result can be a downtown of sorts (usually not a very dense one), with one developer in charge.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPlaya View Post
....LA has over 15 million people living in this metro..... I would hope LA had more high rises or whatever in its metro over Houston.....
It was more about him changing his rules to favor houston and discounting the same areas la has. Im going to assume hes never been to socal.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 8:52 PM
Houston:Considered Good

I'm not favoring Houston. I never said Houston had more edge cities than LA.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 8:59 PM

Again. An la former mentioned a few business areas of la. You assumed wrong by saying theyre not all major economic centers so they didnt count. But a place like galvenston is. It made no sense. Then you started talking about clusters of skyscrapers and those la areas may not be edge cities or some crap.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 9:02 PM
Houston:Considered Good

They weren't edge cities, you yourself called them employment districts. If I only counted employment districts I couldn't count all the ones in Houston. Galveston has several skyscrapers. Maybe "skylines" is what I'm trying to say.

We can keep going on and on about this but at the end of the day we have two different definitions on what constitutes an "edge city" with Buckhead in Atlanta being the original model for the conversation.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 9:09 PM

All those places that la former named have their cluster of highrises/skylines. Theyre all economic centers. Ive been to greenspoint. Its not a skyline. If that is oc has a ton of skylines.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 9:19 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickell View Post
The point isn't that LA or Atlanta or Miami do this thing (whatever it is) more or less than Houston. The point is that they also do it, therefore negating the point that Houston is somehow unique in this aspect.
This

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 9:21 PM

Ok......just to throw a wrench into the discussion... coming from a guy who lives in Long Beach, California, which is in fact a City Center of LA county.... I think you ALL are missing the point of the discussion LOL. this has NOTHING to do with specific urban centers. NOTHING to do with LA vs. Houston Vs. Atlanta. NOTHING to do with which one was designed worse for the long term. And NOTHING to do with which city has more urban centers. who in the hell brought that up???????

This discussion is solely about the fact that Houston has NO zoning code what so ever. there was a special about this on the history channel once before called "how the states were made" and the guy talking about Houston mentioned how it has no zoning laws. MEANING... now I hope your all following me on this one since you seemed to derail this whole discussion. its talking about how residential buildings are popping up in industrial areas, its talking about how an office park is being created 10s of miles away from the Houston city center, its talking about how warehouses are being plopped right in the middle of residential areas. its talking about how THINGS THAT NORMALLY DONT GO RIGHT NEXT TO EACHOTHER IN OTHER CITIES ARE SOMEHOW GOING RIGHT NEXT TO EACHOTHER IN HOUSTON, and THAT is the point of this discussion. Its sad how grown adults, im assuming that most of you are adults, get easily distracted like a cat with a ball of yarn.

Last edited by caligrad; Mar 20, 2014 at 1:23 AM.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 9:29 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post

This discussion is solely about the fact that Houston has NO zoning code what so ever. there was a special about this on the history channel once before called "how the states were made" and the guy talking about Houston mentioned how it has no zoning laws. MEANING... now I hope your all following me on this one since you seemed to derail this whole discussion. its talking about how residential buildings are popping up in industrial areas, its talking about how an office park is being created 10s of miles away from the Houston city center, its talking about how warehouses are being plopped right in the middle of residential areas. its talking about how THINGS THAT NORMALLY DONT GO RIGHT NEXT TO EACHOTHER IN OTHER CITIES ARE SOMEHOW GOING RIGHT NEXT TO EACHOTHER IN HOUSTON, and THAT is the point of this discussion. Its sad how grown adults, im assuming that most of you are adults, get easily distracted like a cat with a ball of yarn.
I think that an issue here is how the piece was written to make that point. it wasn't done very well, and made assertions that really aren't true.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
I think that an issue here is how the piece was written to make that point. it wasn't done very well, and made assertions that really aren't true.
I understand what your saying, and it really was written rather shity. BUT. if I could skim through it once and get the jist of what they were trying to say, there is no excuse for the others to turn it into something that it has nothing to do with. "which city has more city centers, or the amount of city centers" was no where in the article.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 11:32 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
Not all of those are major economic centers. If I counted every important neighborhood in Houston I couldn't count them all.
Another thing to keep in mind, Houston by land size is massive, most metros have a number of cities within the metro that comprise an area which tend to have multiple economic centers.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 12:05 AM
Never Dell

Quote:
Ok......just to throw a wrench into the discussion... coming from a guy who lives in Long Beach, California, which is in fact a City Center of LA county and 5th, soon to be 4th largest city in california by the way.... I think you ALL are missing the point of the discussion LOL. this has NOTHING to do with specific urban centers. NOTHING to do with LA vs. Houston Vs. Atlanta. NOTHING to do with which one was designed worse for the long term. And NOTHING to do with which city has more urban centers. who in the hell brought that up???????

You're not holding the article to a high enough standard. It's not enough that the true gist can be gleaned by reading the whole thing. The headline is misleading, and some of the content is misleading. The first is an editor trying to maximize clicks through emotion, and the other is the writer's fault.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
You're not holding the article to a high enough standard. It's not enough that the true gist can be gleaned by reading the whole thing. The headline is misleading, and some of the content is misleading. The first is an editor trying to maximize clicks through emotion, and the other is the writer's fault.
Shouldn't have to be held to a high enough standard to get what they are trying to say. Yes the writer and editor are both ridiculous and should take some writing/editing courses but the simple point of the matter is nobody is denying the fact about what this article is about. instead of complaining about " oh wow, the writing is all wrong and information is missing and blah blah blah". get over that. the point is that a Lack of Zoning + Free Market = Houston...easy. not up for debate. its pretty straight forward. and the article pretty much states where they are going with things after the 2nd paragraph.... even though I get what your saying and it does tend to jump from one thing to another thing to another thing but it is what it is.

As I stated before. its known that Houston zoning laws are very relaxed compared to other American cities, hell there was a whole special about it on the history channel. it was dubbed "a blessing for the city but also a nightmare". look it up " how the states were made, Texas". Am I picking on Houston ?? no I live in LA county. a city KNOWN for a lack of urban planning and ridiculous sprawl, it is what it is. Houston is a sun belt city just like LA, phoenix, Dallas, Atlanta, San Diego. If you google maps an Ariel View of all these cities. They are built the exact identical same. like wagon wheels, the center is the central business district, the spokes/rods are the freeway arteries and the outskirts are the nodal city centers. easy. point blank. People PLEASE stop whining about it being written poorly. if you need to..... read it again to understand it. if u don't get it the first time, read it again. we were taught that in grade school

Last edited by caligrad; Mar 20, 2014 at 1:26 AM.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 3:05 AM
disorient yourself?

I don't know why they didn't include some of the glaringly obvious choices;

http://swamplot.com/wp-content/uploa...0-weslayan.jpg
Sticks out like a sore thumb in a low to mid rise residential area.

http://swamplot.com/is-this-going-to...se/2013-08-15/
Between a park and a low rise neighborhood.

And San Felipe Plaza looks like we plucked it out of downtown Los Angeles.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zoomand...86776/sizes/l/

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Shouldn't have to be held to a high enough standard to get what they are trying to say. Yes the writer and editor are both ridiculous and should take some writing/editing courses but the simple point of the matter is nobody is denying the fact about what this article is about. instead of complaining about " oh wow, the writing is all wrong and information is missing and blah blah blah". get over that. the point is that a Lack of Zoning + Free Market = Houston...easy. not up for debate. its pretty straight forward. and the article pretty much states where they are going with things after the 2nd paragraph.... even though I get what your saying and it does tend to jump from one thing to another thing to another thing but it is what it is.

As I stated before. its known that Houston zoning laws are very relaxed compared to other American cities, hell there was a whole special about it on the history channel. it was dubbed "a blessing for the city but also a nightmare". look it up " how the states were made, Texas". Am I picking on Houston ?? no I live in LA county. a city KNOWN for a lack of urban planning and ridiculous sprawl, it is what it is. Houston is a sun belt city just like LA, phoenix, Dallas, Atlanta, San Diego. If you google maps an Ariel View of all these cities. They are built the exact identical same. like wagon wheels, the center is the central business district, the spokes/rods are the freeway arteries and the outskirts are the nodal city centers. easy. point blank period. Please people stop whining about it being written poorly. if you need to..... read it again to understand it. if u don't get it the first time, read it again. we were taught that in grade school
People get their panties in a wad whenever Houston is brought up here, brings out the elitists and the folks who enjoy looking down their noses at Texas, surprised the thread hasn't been closed already....

It's a crappy article, but it's pretty clear the theme of the article is the no-zoning and "free-market" aspect of city development.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 3:34 AM

Like most Houston threads, this one has turned STUPID.

However, it was enjoyable to read "Galvenston" 100 times.

Houston isn't special. Yeah, we don't have strict zoning laws, but many neighborhoods have deed restrictions and the vast suburbs look like anywhere USA.

Too many right wing/libertarians try to pump up Houston as some Utopia and the inevitable left wing chorus pipes in to tell us how our city sucks. It's all so predictable and boring.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
Like most Houston threads, this one has turned STUPID.

However, it was enjoyable to read "Galvenston" 100 times.

Houston isn't special. Yeah, we don't have strict zoning laws, but many neighborhoods have deed restrictions and the vast suburbs look like anywhere USA.

Too many right wing/libertarians try to pump up Houston as some Utopia and the inevitable left wing chorus pipes in to tell us how our city sucks. It's all so predictable and boring.
Except that the city is full of left wing residents who are perfectly happy. I don't think the real world is politically that simple.

I thought the thread was pretty interesting and going well for a while. Hopefully it can get back on track and not get closed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions