HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

432 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21bl0wed View Post
Well said, I agree with you. Spot on. I can't wait till more windows are up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
I don't think this is a baseless point at all. The tower will look incredibly tall due to its slender profile, but the facade treatment does not emphasize the verticality of the building (think vertical elements) like 111 W 57th or the former twins. I think a different design could have made a similar size / height building look even taller. That said, this thing will obviously tower over Midtown due to its sheer height.
Thank you. Sbarn, your analysis perfectly complements my point of view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Incandenza View Post
It's just that it will sit there as kind of a mute presence on the skyline, a flat presence, with no sense of energy to justify all that height.
Incandenza, you don't like Vinoly's tower but you have something in common with him: You are also an architect. But an architect of language. It is a gift to be able to express such a feeling in writing. But to do it with so few words is more than that: it is an art. However, according to me, it is because none of us would have thought (or dared) to design it that way, in other words thanks to this "senseless" verticality, that this tower will have a unique and refreshing presence in the skyline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
You're worrying about something that isn't there, like the spooky monster under the bed.
NYguy, thanks for the good laugh. Without you, this site would be dull and lifeless.

ILNY, thanks for these beautiful pictures.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 2:44 PM

Cool information

According to this, the last six apparent floors will be mechanical, so the last habitable floor would be 83rd (apparent floors count) at 1286.5 ft / 392 m.

Quote:

The break down in units...

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 2:46 PM

Here is my personal take.

the last time I saw 432 up close was when it was around 500 feet tall. Looking at the base, it didn't appear as large as I thought it would, until a late night worker emerged in one of the windows which helped my mind come to terms with just how large those windows are. On a building with a facade other than all glass, we are accustomed to seeing much smaller windows - that they are so large here plays with your mind and makes you want to think that these windows scale with the tower normal sized windows do - i.e. make the tower look smaller than it already it. However, when I looked skyward, even at 500 feet it became a very imposing structure. I think when you are at the base (or near to it) and look up, it becomes harder and harder to determine the relative size of the windows - your eye has a much easier time making a height estimation based on looking at the concrete frame (at least that's how it was for me) and once again, it looks just as tall as it actually is.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 3:33 PM
Sukaitsuri

The height of this tower is increasing very fast...

I think it may be the fastest rise of a "supertall" skyscraper ever.
What do you think about it?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 3:47 PM
Brooklyn Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorque View Post

Not even close. You have to look no further than the Empire State Building which was built in 18 months.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 4:09 PM

This panorama from the East River I took in October 2011 will soon have a whole new focal point, shifting the visual peak of Midtown to the north:

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 7:00 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorque View Post

Right, not the fastest ever. I do believe that Vinoly said it would top out later this year? At the very least, it will be topped out by this time next year, a new giant in Midtown. Even with all of the recent write ups, I'm sure most New Yorkers aren't even aware of it's existence, even as it begins to peek above the skyline.

www.432park.com

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Right, not the fastest ever. I do believe that Vinoly said it would top out later this year? At the very least, it will be topped out by this time next year, a new giant in Midtown. Even with all of the recent write ups, I'm sure most New Yorkers aren't even aware of it's existence, even as it begins to peek above the skyline.
It should reach full height by December. You are right, average people have no clue about this building but give it a few more months and that will change...

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 10:31 PM

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILNY View Post
It should reach full height by December. You are right, average people have no clue about this building but give it a few more months and that will change...
The perimeter is up to apparent level 49 or 759' 6'' The core is on apparent level 51 or 790' 6'' The formwork is near 800'

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 1:08 AM

Quote:
( March 4, 2013 )

What a difference 1 year makes.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 3:13 PM

I remember a few years ago people were complaining about the pace of construction in NYC. At least this building proved that New York can build as fast and as tall as anyone.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 4:42 PM
don't *meddle*...

^ If it weren't for the harsh winter, I'm sure the tower would be quite taller by now. And yes, the height is truly amazing for New York, but unfortunately nothing special on an international scale.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 8:13 PM

Yeah, we have to remember that it's still one of the tallest residential buildings in the world. Off the top of my head only World One in Mumbai surpasses it.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 8:17 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandelay View Post
Yeah, we have to remember that it's still one of the tallest residential buildings in the world. Off the top of my head only World One in Mumbai surpasses it.

This will likely top out first as well and be the tallest residential building in the world... and after that it will be second tallest by only about 50 feet. I feel like people are forgetting that this is the highest roof in NYC history and that will soon (hopefully) be overtaken by Nordstrom.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 10:14 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
^ If it weren't for the harsh winter, I'm sure the tower would be quite taller by now. And yes, the height is truly amazing for New York, but unfortunately nothing special on an international scale.
[Sarcasm] Because NY sure is lagging behind the rest of the world when it comes to skyscrapers [Sarcasm]

For people who think this isn't tall enough... it's not really a ton shorter than some notable Asian supergiants... and it won't even be the highest roof in NYC

Last edited by Zapatan; Mar 6, 2014 at 2:27 AM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 12:22 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 1:51 PM

I have been following the construction process almost continuously of 432 Park Avenue for quite some time, and recorded events as the tower continues to rise. I have created a CAD drawing, with some dates of events and information.

This north/south building section was redrawn from a post I saw some time earlier, comparing the complete building alongside where we are currently.

Here is the link to my drawing, full size.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/j...ps50f88e8c.jpg

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 2:33 PM

I apologize if the drawing did not come up full-size!! Here goes again:

http://s269.photobucket.com/user/mar...88e8c.jpg.html

Hope this works.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcatio View Post
I apologize if the drawing did not come up full-size!! Here goes again:

http://s269.photobucket.com/user/mar...88e8c.jpg.html

Hope this works.
It worked. Thanks for the diagram.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive