HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted May 22, 2009, 2:43 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Four O's, and Canada's only hot desert: Osoyoos, British Columbia

During the 1990's I lived in BC for 5 years (1 of which in the Okanagan Valley), and since then I visit quite often. My father lives in Osoyoos (British Columbia), a town situated about 1 km north of the US border (Washington state). It lies in what is considered the uppermost extension of the Sonora desert, and therefore is Canada's only "hot" desert (semi-desert, to be taxonomically correct).

here is some background info in advance of the photos, c/o Wikipedia.

Osoyoos (officially pronounced /ɒˈsuːjuːs/ os-SOO-yoos;[1][2] commonly mispronounced /əˈsɔɪjuːs/ ə-SOY-yoos) is a town in the southern part of the Okanagan Valley near British Columbia's border with Washington state, and neighbouring the reserve of the Osoyoos Indian Band. Because of its popularity as a recreational area with residents from elsewhere in British Columbia and especially Alberta, its population of nearly 5,000 people swells in the summer months. There is also a rapidly growing year-round retiree population.

Though the climate is arid, irrigation enhances the region's agricultural production. During the summer months, the Okanagan Valley is among the hottest areas in Canada, and Osoyoos often reaches the highest daytime temperature of any location in Canada.[citation needed] Temperatures regularly exceed 38°C (100°F) in the summer, although the humidity is low and nights are generally pleasant. Winters are generally dry and cold, but are usually mild compared to adjacent regions.

Osoyoos is situated on the east-west Crowsnest Highway with a significant ascent out of the Okanagan Valley in either direction. The Crowsnest headed east begins with an 18km switchback up the flank of the Okanagan Highland with a 685 m rise to the mining and ranching region of Anarchist Mountain, which is part of the Boundary Country (the stretch of rising highway is also referred to as Anarchist Mountain). Highway 3 westbound leads to Keremeos and the Similkameen Valley via Richter Pass. On highway 97 south there is a 24 hour border crossing between Canada and the United States between Osoyoos and Oroville, Washington.

The origin of the name Osoyoos was the word suius meaning "narrowing of the waters" in the local Okanagan language (Syilx'tsn). The "O-" prefix is not indigenous in origin and was attached by settler-promoters wanting to harmonize the name with other O-names in the Okanagan region (Oliver, Omak, Oroville, and of course Okanagan).

Osoyoos Lake

Osoyoos Lake is often considered Canada's warmest lake, with average summer water temperatures of 24°C (75°F). The lake is surrounded by several beaches and picnic grounds, such as Gyro Beach, Lions Centennial Park, Kinsmens Park, Legion Beach and Hayne's Point Picnic Ground. The lake has a perimeter of 47.9 km, an elevation of 276 m, a maximum depth of 63 m and a mean depth of 14 m.

Climate

The climate, according to the Köppen climate classification, is semi-arid (BSh) with summers that are generally hot and very dry. The result is one of the longest growing seasons in Canada. Normally, daily temperatures in July and August average above 30°C (86°F), with overnight lows of around 16°C (60°F). September and October are usually warm and pleasant. Winters are short but can be somewhat cold with average lows about -5°C (24°F) in January. Spring arrives early.

* Hottest Daily Temperature: 42.8°C (110°F) on July 27, 1998
* Hottest Mean Maximum Temperature: 34.1°C (93°F) in July, 1994
* Warmest Month: 25.4°C (78°F) in July, 1998
* Days above 30°C (86°F) in 1994: 78
* Days above 20°C (68°F) in 1994: 174

Photos taken in April 2009, all mine.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Last edited by MolsonExport; May 22, 2009 at 3:15 AM.

Old Posted May 22, 2009, 2:52 AM
The Vomit Bag.

More to come...
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted May 22, 2009, 3:11 AM
The Vomit Bag.

The Drowning Machine:

Pissed-off Bull. I mean it. The fucker charged a few moments later.
[IMG][/IMG]

Oldest surviving (sorta) homestead, c. 1880s. Haunted, so I liked it.

More to come, like this:

Old Posted May 22, 2009, 3:45 AM

I wish I had a 40" monitor.
I would like to retire here.

Old Posted May 22, 2009, 3:45 AM
The Vomit Bag.

From Anarchist Mountain (rises about 4k above the valley)...

I even saw the Sasquatch!!!

More to come, including Similkameen valley.

Old Posted May 22, 2009, 4:06 AM

It certainly looks like how I would picture a Canadian 'desert' to look like.

Old Posted May 22, 2009, 6:04 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Nice pics, man
Despite growing up in Kelowna, I think I've only been to Osoyoos once.
You went about a month too early though. The valley will be in full bloom now.

These little bastards (we used to call them 'jumping cactus') were the bane of my existence growing up. I remember falling in to a batch and picking them out of my hands with my teeth. I guess I shouldn't complain. One of my friend's rolled face-first in to a batch and had at least 5 needles puncture straight through his cheek.

Old Posted May 22, 2009, 6:49 AM
I am a typical

Weeds that stick to you should be banned. They look cleaner than burrs though. Less malicious looking as well.

I fixed up the Wikipedia article about the Nk'Mip desert a while ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nk%27mip_Desert

Old Posted May 22, 2009, 7:08 AM

Hey, I just learned about this area a few days ago. Good to see some nice pictures of it.

Old Posted May 22, 2009, 11:13 AM

Interesting place.

Old Posted May 22, 2009, 5:22 PM
Sebastian

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...s/DSC06052.jpg

if I was drunk and at a bush party late at night, this would scare the fuck out of me.
nice photos though, but I'm not really a fan of Osoyoos... I like Oroville better.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
During the 1990's I lived in BC for 5 years (1 of which in the Okanagan Valley), and since then I visit quite often. My father lives in Osoyoos (British Columbia), a town situated about 1 km north of the US border (Washington state). It lies in what is considered the uppermost extension of the Sonora desert, and therefore is Canada's only "hot" desert (semi-desert, to be taxonomically correct).
Nice pictures, but the Sonoran desert doesn't go north of Arizona. There is "hot" or "true" desert in Canada, but it's not at Osoyoos: https://questioningthedata.wordpress...y-true-desert/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos