HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 3:54 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ih8pickingusernames View Post
The new WTC looks like dubai moved in and clashes horribly with the existing structures in Lower Manhattan (in pics at least).
Stopped reading there ...

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 5:07 PM
BANNED

What ever. Im done arguing with you. The WFC was built to compliment the WTC complex. It was even built on the soil excavated from the WTC site. If you for whatever reason choose to believe that they are somehow meant to resemble/ compliment the Woolworth building then whatever.

Im done.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 5:36 PM

Amazing strawman arguement. Ok, i'm not really one to call someone stupid but, really? When did I ever even imply that? Also, you do a great job at debunking your own arguments and somehow thinking I have ever said or belive that the WFC was somehow built to compliment the Woolworth Building, which is a ridicuolus idea.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelfannumber1 View Post

Amazing strawman arguement. Ok, i'm not really one to call someone stupid but, really? When did I ever even imply that? Also, you do a great job at debunking your own arguments and somehow thinking I have ever said or belive that the WFC was somehow built to compliment the Woolworth Building, which is a ridicuolus idea.
You have to watch these 12 clips from this documentary to get what he and what we are all trying to tell you. The rest of them are on Youtube so get watching.

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 5:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
You have to watch these 12 clips from this documentary to get what he and what we are all trying to tell you. The rest of them are on Youtube so get watching.

Video Link
I have watched that entire documentary before (it was really good btw) and to tell me what? That I might possibilly have a different opinion than the mainstream? Who cares?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 9:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:

When the old WTC was built all the surrounding buildings were built to compliment the Woolworth building.

And where could anything possibily have complimented the twins? There was no space, right?

So, what's your point again?
Quote:

Also, you do a great job at debunking your own arguments and somehow thinking I have ever said or belive that the WFC was somehow built to compliment the Woolworth Building, which is a ridicuolus idea.

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 8:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Imster View Post
I think the building looks similar to the John Hancock Tower in one of the pictures with the sun descending and the fascade of the building in darkness but showing the shape. I do think building will look good when fully complete. I still think that WTC 2 should look similar to WTC1 it still on hold and this is a time to really put pressure on the developers to make WTC2 to be like WTC1 - doubt it will happen but worth a try. The spirit of the twin towers needs to be revived. Furthermore I think a 2000ft skyscraper to the roof with a spire would look stunning in NYC - its long overdue imo

You said it!

If it happens, we could name our tentative new twin towers 'Freedom and Liberty towers', 'West and East towers', or simply 'Twin Towers',
'1 and 2 World Trade', whatever you like.

Also, the return of twin towers would revitalize and rekindle public interest and attract more tenants.

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 8:41 AM

To get at that angle you would have to use 3 WTC I believe. Those twins with 2 WTC and the subway station wedged in between them would be unbelievable.

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurmiles View Post
You said it!

If it happens, we could name our tentative new twin towers 'Freedom and Liberty towers', 'West and East towers', or simply 'Twin Towers',

Also, the return of twin towers would revitalize and rekindle public interest and attract more tenants.

Omg let it go, it's NEVER going to happen, everything being built including the stump of 2WTC that WILL get built is the new World Trade Center and you and everyone else will deal

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ih8pickingusernames View Post
(A bit late but whatevs). So, you're suggesting the Financial center was built in the 60's/70's? Quite an interesting concept.

Old Posted May 12, 2013, 7:47 PM

Quote:
(A bit late but whatevs). So, you're suggesting the Financial center was built in the 60's/70's? Quite an interesting concept.
Will you stop arguing its really quite pointless.

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 5:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DURKEY427 View Post
Will you stop arguing its really quite pointless.
Party pooper

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 3:27 AM

What do you think of the new WTC?

I love the fact that the steel structure for the tower, the subway station and the pinnacle were made by a company in suburban Montreal.

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 3:36 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurmiles View Post
You said it!

No matter what sort of modifications anyone can imagine for this site right now, the existing plan still stands and is better than this. If the Twins were to come back, the whole former WTC should come back. It will never be the same. We lost what we had. Now we must look forward to what we are getting.

Old Posted May 19, 2013, 4:58 PM
Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
No matter what sort of modifications anyone can imagine for this site right now, the existing plan still stands and is better than this. If the Twins were to come back, the whole former WTC should come back. It will never be the same. We lost what we had. Now we must look forward to what we are getting.
OK - am I missing something? I must admit I haven't been paying attention to all the latest design alterations, but are they now really going to build a "twin" to the first tower nearing completion? I thought all of the towers on the WTC site were all drastically different in design, shape, height, etc.

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMarko View Post
OK - am I missing something? I must admit I haven't been paying attention to all the latest design alterations, but are they now really going to build a "twin" to the first tower nearing completion? I thought all of the towers on the WTC site were all drastically different in design, shape, height, etc.
They are. There is no twin.

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 4:46 PM

The original WTC Twin Towers were my favourite buildings, since I first saw them on a Lower Manhattan skyline picture on a school book.

Unfortunately, being poor and living across the ocean ( Portugal ) delayed the visit until it was no longer possible. I cried that day.

I finally visited NYC in 2009.

After all the tragedy and pain, so many lives lost, it's hard to say how I feel about this new WTC.
Although I find the buildings beautiful, slick and modern, I think they fail to truly impress, and certainly they do not live up to the memory of its giant, amazing predecessors.
And the 1776ft "spire" height is just ridiculous, pretensious, as everybody knows it's a marketing scheme.

Anyway, I'll hold my judgement for when the rebuilding is complete, and for when I get the chance to visit the place myself.

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 5:29 PM

My thoughts are, If they had built this new design at 1776 feet (building only) with a twin and the antenna taking it well above 2200 total feet, people would've paraded this new design for sure. Other countries would say "wow!' Reason is, The height is the real problem and not the design. No one would even want the original Twins built again if at the same height as previous. Another problem is we want something better than what was previously there. Something that really stand out around it's environment. The new tower is just the original North twin dressed up but not necessarily better than the originals. Think about this, If we stop being afraid in this country and do what we normally do if 9/11 never happened which is build bigger, better and greater (not necessary the tallest) but build to our standards and not coward standards, we will be the greatest country with no doubt and we will also be happy with the results of what we build.

Last edited by fastdupree; May 31, 2013 at 2:50 PM.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2013, 2:26 PM

The city has always been heavy on real estate more so

then high integrity sorts of architecture. I think in general the designs here are awesome in certain respects but the final project was a disappointment. The original WTC was in fact an eyesore for me but it was formidable at the least. I am glad to have seen a change for lower Manhattan but I can just imagine some solid inspirational and integral ideas and projects but they went with the wrong structure. No need for me to go to even see it.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 3:41 PM

One last point I wanna make about this argument, why are you obsessing the the number of floors when the new 1WTC is about 5ft taller than the old one and 2WTC is a mere 12ft shorter than the old 2WTC?? once you add 3 & 4WTC, this complex will be much more dominant than the old one. In the end it comes down to this, let's wait till the whole thing is finished before we start comparing the two, cause last time I checked there are 2 buildings left to rise.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture