HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 1:41 AM

Why do you Prefer Calgary over Edmonton?

I know, I know. This thread has the potential to turn into a troll fest (I'll do my best to direct the thread in a direction that's somewhat helpful from the start). Basically I've applied to both UofA and UofC for a graduate level program. I have experience with Edmonton (lived there for a couple of years before the whole recent Downtown "boom" started). I'm originally from Vancouver, but I have a soft spot for Alberta. That said, the roughness of Edmonton really bothered me the last time I was there. I loved the lack of traffic, Whyte Ave., the river valley and the low cost of living, but the city didn't feel like a place I could call home. It lacked a lot of infrastructure (public transportation, bike lanes, inadequate supply of modern buildings etc...). As soon as I left, Edmonton started revitalizing its downtown core. The Ice District, the library and City Centre Mall renovations, some new bike paths etc... I suddenly have a reason to give the city a second shot.

Now on to Calgary. I've had a very limited experience with Calgary. In total I've been to Calgary twice, and only for a few days each time. From what I've seen on YouTube, the city does look a lot more appealing. I went on Realtor.ca and checked out the housing/condo supply to see the condition and type of units I could potentially come across in the city. To my surprise a lot of the units and buildings look just as nice as buildings in Vancouver. The only reason I'm a bit surprised is that in Edmonton there is a very limited supply of modern condo towers. The Ice District is certainly a welcome change, but apart from that the city is riddled with 3-4 floor low-rise wood frame buildings or old 80's era rentals.

Suddenly I'm hoping I get accepted to U of C so I can give Calgary a serious look. Right now I'm waiting to hear back from both universities.

To summarize, here's what I look for in a city:

1) Good public transportation. This is key IMO. I have a car, but I hate driving. Maybe it's because driving in Vancouver is such a hassle half the time, but I much prefer walking, biking and taking public transport. How good is Calgary's system and what is the city doing to improve the system?

2) Bike paths. From the looks of it, Calgary has a very decent bike network (judging from You Tube videos).

3) Modern condo towers. In Edmonton you see a lot of ugly 80's era buildings with punched windows and a lot of wood frame low-rises. Modern condo towers are essential IMO. It might sound ridiculous to some, but modern buildings offer a lot of amenities, they are great to live in, they are centrally located and close to public transportation (for the most part) and the carrying cost is a lot less than a detached house.

If you have experience with both cities, I'm hoping you can give your 2 cents about why you prefer Calgary over Edmonton.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 2:53 AM

Honestly, you'd be best to come down to Calgary and spend some time and check it out (seeing as you haven't had as much experience with Calgary) You may like it more or possibly decide you don't like it. As far as Urban living goes, you'll probably find they aren't that much different. I find Calgary more urban, but I'm a Calgarian...

What usually wins over most people is Calgary's outdoor lifestyle and proximity to the Rockies. It's an experience and a lifestyle that you can't get in Edmonton or many other cities anywhere for that matter. Once you discover that lifestyle it makes Calgary a great place to live.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 3:59 AM
GT Champion

With regards to your modern condo requirement, Calgary offers a more vibrant 'inner city' living environment than Edmonton; CBD/downtown proper aside, there is a decent ring of inner city neighborhoods surrounding the core; Beltline, Kensington, Bridgeland, Inglewood, Misson etc Edmonton has some great individual neighborhoods around the university, Whyte Ave / Old Strathcona and Oliver, 124th but its just not the same. If you have not been back to Edmonton since you last lived there you would be amazed at the progress though, the city is really taking off, but the same could be said for Calgary in the time frame as well.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 4:03 AM

A few years back, we had a chance to move from Ontario to Edmonton or Calgary. I checked out both cities, and ended up deciding on Calgary. I only spent a week in Edmonton, and when we were there we liked it, and felt we could have lived there. We had mostly made up our minds on Edmonton but thought we should at least check out Calgary. We came down for the weekend and decided on Calgary. This is only my own opinion, and to be fair, I haven't spent that much time in Edmonton, but Calgary felt much more urban to me. My wife wanted to move to Calgary within the first a couple of hours of being here.

As a side note before we moved out here, almost everyone we talked to back home told us to go to Calgary. I love it here, but like I say I haven't really spent that ,much time in Edmonton. I've been there three or four times since we moved to Alberta, so you'll definitely want to see for yourself.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1 View Post
Honestly, you'd be best to come down to Calgary and spend some time and check it out (seeing as you haven't had as much experience with Calgary) You may like it more or possibly decide you don't like it. As far as Urban living goes, you'll probably find they aren't that much different. I find Calgary more urban, but I'm a Calgarian...

What usually wins over most people is Calgary's outdoor lifestyle and proximity to the Rockies. It's an experience and a lifestyle that you can't get in Edmonton or many other cities anywhere for that matter. Once you discover that lifestyle it makes Calgary a great place to live.
Thanks for the input. Something new to think about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibz View Post
With regards to your modern condo requirement, Calgary offers a more vibrant 'inner city' living environment than Edmonton; CBD/downtown proper aside, there is a decent ring of inner city neighborhoods surrounding the core; Beltline, Kensington, Bridgeland, Inglewood, Misson etc Edmonton has some great individual neighborhoods around the university, Whyte Ave / Old Strathcona and Oliver, 124th but its just not the same. If you have not been back to Edmonton since you last lived there you would be amazed at the progress though, the city is really taking off, but the same could be said for Calgary in the time frame as well.
You're right. A lot has changed in both cities in the past few years. Can't wait to go to Alberta next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineN View Post
A few years back, we had a chance to move from Ontario to Edmonton or Calgary. I checked out both cities, and ended up deciding on Calgary. I only spent a week in Edmonton, and when we were there we liked it, and felt we could have lived there. We had mostly made up our minds on Edmonton but thought we should at least check out Calgary. We came down for the weekend and decided on Calgary. This is only my own opinion, and to be fair, I haven't spent that much time in Edmonton, but Calgary felt much more urban to me. My wife wanted to move to Calgary within the first a couple of hours of being here.

As a side note before we moved out here, almost everyone we talked to back home told us to go to Calgary. I love it here, but like I say I haven't really spent that ,much time in Edmonton. I've been there three or four times since we moved to Alberta, so you'll definitely want to see for yourself.
Re. the urban comment, I think you're right. The small-city-feel of Edmonton really bugged me when I was there. Calgary, even from the pictures and videos, looks more urban. lol I have the same pressure. All my family says I should pick Calgary if I'm given the option.

I will definitely visit Calgary before making the decision.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 2:25 PM
Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abii View Post
Thanks for the input. Something new to think about.

You're right. A lot has changed in both cities in the past few years. Can't wait to go to Alberta next year.

Re. the urban comment, I think you're right. The small-city-feel of Edmonton really bugged me when I was there. Calgary, even from the pictures and videos, looks more urban. lol I have the same pressure. All my family says I should pick Calgary if I'm given the option.

I will definitely visit Calgary before making the decision.
I definitely think that Calgary makes a much better first impression than Edmonton. It is a lot easier to like. The CBD and surrounding neighbourhoods are a lot more developed and cohesive than Edmonton.

Now, that said, sometimes the places that are hard to like or take a long time to appreciate can turn out to be the most rewarding. Edmonton could be one of those places for you. Its difficult to predict.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 3:31 PM

Calgary - Chinooks
Edmonton - cold all winter

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 3:45 PM
HVAC guru

Lived 4 years Calgary, now 13 years Edmonton

# 1 for me is proximity. Calgary is a lot closer to the mountains, has better outdoor attractions, ski hills less than an hour away, much better access to nice parts of BC, better air connections

# 2 is weather. I miss the Chinooks so much. Edmonton's winters are so long dark cold & dreary. Edmonton's summers are probably a little nicer though, just because it's light out a little longer. That is a nice part about Edmonton.

# 3 is just how the city presents itself. Calgary shows as a modern, complete city for the most part. Downtown (when it's not in the grip of a crippling financial downturn) is much nicer, more active, more urban. Edmonton still comes across as gritty and industrial. Slowly changing but not very quick. Calgary is a lot prettier for the most part. Edmonton's river valley is a pretty fantastic amenity though

# 4 People in Edmonton I find are probably more down home-y, and that's a good thing. Edmontonians though suffer a major inferiority complex. Calgarians are proud, Edmontonians are defensive. At least that's how I find it. Calgarians like to throw their money around, Edmontonians are far more conservative.

I can't speak for how the city of Calgary is run, but Edmonton seems to be managed by a bunch of incompetent bumbling idiots. I think that's what bothers me the most of being here. I'm tired of the incompetence of the civic leadership, and the local city builders. I was moved to Edmonton in '04 to come in & fix a bunch of problems on some major construction contracts that the Edmonton office couldn't fix. Over time I came to realize that in Edmonton, 95% complete is "good enough" You still see that attitude today. On my Calgary projects, there was always better engineering, better project management and higher expectations.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 4:10 PM
That's what she said

I've lived in both cities, more so in Calgary having lived here now 12 years. I found both cities fine. I agree with some of the others that Calgary is easier to like right off the bat. Calgary IMO is prettier and more interesting geographically having hills and valleys. Having the mountains as a backdrop is nice.

As far as daily life goes they are similar. Edmontonians seem nicer and more down to earth. Traffic seems better in Edmonton, much less hectic, and frustrating. I prefer Calgary's LRT system as it's larger and goes to more places. As a foodie, I like the restaurant scene here, and if you like ethnic foods, you'll find more choice here in Calgary.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 4:27 PM

Edmonton and Calgary are basically the same, there isn't really anything that one city has that the other doesn't. For me it comes down to the surrounding areas, and being able to be in Kananaskis on my mountain bike in 45 minutes from downtown, or spend the day in Banff, or go snowboarding in BC in only a few hours drive beats the boring prairie around Edmonton, no contest.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 5:14 PM

Ultimately, a city is what you decide to make of it for yourself, and everyone has their own must-haves. Check both cities out, see which one connects best with you and your needs.

We all can express our opinions why a city is our preference. I've lived in both and they each have their positives and negatives. Look to what your own personal needs are, short- and medium-term, and follow your gut.

Not the answer you're looking for, I'm guessing, but it's the best I can do without potentially offending somebody and feeding a potential flame war, and nobody wins those.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 5:39 PM

I don’t know that there’s any big advantage from one city over the other. Like S211 said you really have to come down check it out for yourself. If there’s one reason I would tell people to choose Calgary., I would say it’s probably because of the Rockies, it offers you a beautiful year playground close to the city.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 6:42 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
Lived 4 years Calgary, now 13 years Edmonton

# 1 for me is proximity. Calgary is a lot closer to the mountains, has better outdoor attractions, ski hills less than an hour away, much better access to nice parts of BC, better air connections

# 2 is weather. I miss the Chinooks so much. Edmonton's winters are so long dark cold & dreary. Edmonton's summers are probably a little nicer though, just because it's light out a little longer. That is a nice part about Edmonton.
Also I believe Edmonton's summer nights are warmer, you don't get a 25C day followed by a 7C night like you do in Calgary

Quote:
# 3 is just how the city presents itself. Calgary shows as a modern, complete city for the most part. Downtown (when it's not in the grip of a crippling financial downturn) is much nicer, more active, more urban. Edmonton still comes across as gritty and industrial. Slowly changing but not very quick. Calgary is a lot prettier for the most part. Edmonton's river valley is a pretty fantastic amenity though

# 4 People in Edmonton I find are probably more down home-y, and that's a good thing. Edmontonians though suffer a major inferiority complex. Calgarians are proud, Edmontonians are defensive. At least that's how I find it. Calgarians like to throw their money around, Edmontonians are far more conservative.
I find this very true, I find people far more approachable, and eager to approach me if I'm in a pub or whatever than in Calgary, it's very noticeable. Perhaps less materialistic as well.

Also I find there's more of a 'progressive' and/or Arts & Culture crowd in Edmonton, perhaps due to Provincial arts and culture venues and policy wonk types who work in government.

So in a nutshell, the summer weather and the people is perhaps a bit nicer in Edmonton.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 7:02 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
Calgary - Chinooks
Edmonton - cold all winter
Counterpoint:
Calgary - cool/cold summer evenings, short summer.
Edmonton - beautiful summer evenings

But as others have mentioned at the end of the say there really isn't much difference between the two cities. If school is your focus and you will be living in the vicinity of the two schools I actually prefer the area around U of A to that around U of C, it just has a better vibe to me. I've lived in both cities as well and got by undergrad degree from U of A. Both schools are serviced very well by transit, both are on the LRT line and have transit hubs on or near campus. It might boil down to which is a better school for your field of study. I honestly can't say much about U of C (my kids will likely attend next year) and I guess I'm partial to my alma mater but U of A has a very good reputation at the grad school level - depending on which program I suppose.

Both are nice cities. Calgary has great outdoor recreation nearby (mountains) but Edmonton seems to have more within the city itself. Calgarians leave town to enjoy the outdoors, Edmontonians not so much as there isn't the same access.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 7:18 PM

All of Edmonton seems to look like the worst parts of Calgary when I drive around.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 7:20 PM
Near Generational

Edmonton has a extremely beautiful urban river valley. To me it's the most appealing feature.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 7:46 PM

I substantially grew up in Edmonton for 18 years and have now lived in Calgary for the past 16 years.

I see the good and bad in both cities. Overall, I think under the surface each city is very different.

Calgary is better for urban single person or couple living. Edmonton is better for suburban family living.

The Calgary urban life is more established and a lot bigger. Further I would say that Calgary is lot further along establishing an urban family life and that Edmonton is another 10-15 years before they will be in the same spot. There is a lot of new midsize redevelopment going on in Sunnyside Hillhurst, Inglewood Ramsay, Bankview South Calgary Altadore, Bridgeland and Crescent Height. This is being assisted by Calgary Planning and Development department through the leadership of Rollin Stanley and the infill strategies. Plus there is Druh Farrell, Gian-Carlo Carra, and Evan Woolley at City Council to push through the family urban items. Edmonton is still trying to get through high quality and well thought out small scale infill projects.

Where Edmonton excels is suburban family life. The auto oriented nature and smaller city footprint makes getting around Edmonton a lot more feasible. Without the lure of the Rockies, its easier to schedule family oriented events with neighbours, kids classmates, coworkers, etc. I'm now booking my kids playdates into February because the moment anyone has free time, they head out to the mountains to disparate locations (Canmore, Banff, Kannaskis, Golden, Fairmont, Cranbrook/Fernie).

As I stated above, I grew up in Edmonton. My wife has lived in Calgary her whole life. If we compare facebook feeds from people we each went to highschool grad:
My friends living in Edmonton - The kids (newest generation) of my high school grad year peeps all know each other. They meet up for playdates and see each other on the ice rink or swimming pool, etc.
Wife's friends living in Calgary - The progeny of my wife's high school classmates don't know each other apart from seeing photos and videos on facebook.
So I have come to understand the reason for the different family life experiences is due to Edmonton's isolation and Calgary easy access to out of the city activities.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 7:59 PM
Build'em high!

I grew up on an acreage just outside of Sherwood Park, but have lived most of my adult life in Calgary.
My take: Calgary has more to offer if you're into a big city, urban vibe, but if you want something more laid back, and possibly would like to live on an acreage or as Cage said, live a good family suburban lifestyle Edmonton is great. Acreages around Edmonton are half the price of those around Calgary, and single family homes in outer areas are also a lot cheaper than Calgary.

Oh, and if you're into sports, Edmonton's sports teams kick but

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 8:03 PM
BANNED

Here are the top ten reasons as listed on the UCalgary web-site:
http://www.ucalgary.ca/future-studen...ce/city-choice

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 8:25 PM
Khan

Worth noting as well: by posting this question on the Calgary sub-forum, most of the replies will be from a particular perspective. It might make sense to post a similar thread in the Edmonton sub-forum (where I'm sure the perspective will be very different.)
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation