HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 5:24 AM
Editor

2014 Civic Census

It's that time of year again. The census people stopped by here today to collect their info.

Any guesses on how much of an increase we will see? I think we will see a bit more of an increase compared to last year (increase of 29,327). I'm going with an increase of 33K for total population of 1,182,000.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 5:34 AM
Bring buildings to life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
It's that time of year again. The census people stopped by here today to collect their info.

Any guesses on how much of an increase we will see? I think we will see a bit more of an increase compared to last year (increase of 29,327). I'm going with an increase of 33K for total population of 1,182,000.
I think it will be lower. Oil and gas job vacancies are not as abundant. I am going with an increase of 25000.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 5:51 AM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicoLance21 View Post
I think it will be lower. Oil and gas job vacancies are not as abundant. I am going with an increase of 25000.
Hard to say. Housing starts are quite a bit higher YTD, over the previous year. Even though many of houses are only started and not completed, it often reflects the population growth. It'll be interesting to see.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 6:12 AM
ARTchitecture

Judging by the provincial growth being higher this year than last by nearly 10 000, I think the city population growth will be a bit higher than last year, so I agree with Surreal. Pretty cool to think by 2015 the city will be 1.2 million, with a metro of nearly 1.5 million (over 1.5 with Okotoks and Foothills included)

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 6:25 AM
Great White Norf

2014 City of Calgary population guesstimate: 1,181,136

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 2:04 PM
Bring buildings to life

Quote:
Hard to say. Housing starts are quite a bit higher YTD, over the previous year. Even though many of houses are only started and not completed, it often reflects the population growth. It'll be interesting to see.
I hope you are right. My concern is the housing prices as to whether the recent spike is caused by sheer growth or investors looking to hold and sit vacant like what is happening in Vancouver. Nobody likes to see the latter part happening, of course.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIGS View Post
2014 City of Calgary population guesstimate: 1,181,136

Price is Right rules.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 3:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:

33,001 .

Would go higher, but the surrounding suburbs are seeing record growth these days.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 3:46 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicoLance21 View Post
I hope you are right. My concern is the housing prices as to whether the recent spike is caused by sheer growth or investors looking to hold and sit vacant like what is happening in Vancouver. Nobody likes to see the latter part happening, of course.
Population growth predictions are always fuzzy. My brother in law works for a bank and they do their own population growth reports, which are surprisingly accurate. They can tell how many people are moving to Calgary by the amount of new accounts, and accounts that are being transferred. They don't look at the natural increase, but that number is fairly static.

They look at the numbers monthly and quarterly, etc.. and it sounds like this past year will be a bit higher than last year, but he doesn't have exact numbers, it's just a general growth projection. I hope he's right.

Whatever the numbers end up being, I'm sure they won't be far off last year's numbers.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 3:59 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

Price is Right rules.
jerk!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 5:27 PM
Here and There

38,000 new Calgary residents. People were practically fighting over my condo and even the new place we purchased. A number of places we offered on refused to take our offer because it was a "clause sale", meaning we had to sell our place first. The had so many offers that they almost always refused ours.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 5:54 PM

Tight rental and housing markets likely mean that population growth will be on the low end of scale with a lot of market excess being sent to bedroom communities.

My prediction will be 20k net migration growth with the majority of new Calgarians being of the infant category rather than immigrants from other Canadian cities.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 8:24 PM
Here and There

Well, the bets are on I guess.......2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 beg to differ with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post
Tight rental and housing markets likely mean that population growth will be on the low end of scale with a lot of market excess being sent to bedroom communities.

My prediction will be 20k net migration growth with the majority of new Calgarians being of the infant category rather than immigrants from other Canadian cities.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 2:28 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

So the impression I'm getting on Twitter is in Edmonton you can fill out your census info online. Anyone know if this is true?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
So the impression I'm getting on Twitter is in Edmonton you can fill out your census info online. Anyone know if this is true?
Correct. See information here. Most of the communities surrounding Calgary went to that style of system in the past few years and from all reports I've heard it works far better, and is far cheaper to administer with a lower rate of needing followup by an actual person if the household fails to provide the information.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 2:54 PM

A tight rental and housing market, might send some people to the bedroom communities, but it's also a symptom of already high population growth. From what I've been hearing, the growth for 2013 should be in line with 2012 and 2011, so expect to see somewhere around 27-30K in growth. ~11k will be from natural increase, ~12k net gain from international immigration, and ~6K from intercity/interprovincial.

My guess will be that's it's slightly lower than last year at 28K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 3:39 PM

My guess is an even 30,000. I know it will be somewhere in that range give or take a couple of thousand.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 4:04 PM
Editor

That would be a good option. I suppose that they would only need to send someone to addresses where nobody has responded. It would make things easier, plus they could gather more info on the on-line system, in a much quicker fashion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
Correct. See information here. Most of the communities surrounding Calgary went to that style of system in the past few years and from all reports I've heard it works far better, and is far cheaper to administer with a lower rate of needing followup by an actual person if the household fails to provide the information.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 5:34 PM
ARTchitecture

I'll ask the bigger question, what do you think our metropolitan population will increase to this year? It was 1 364 000 last year.

I'd guess around 1 405 000 this year, with the extended metro area (Okotoks and Foothills) making it around 1 480 000.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 5:41 PM
BANNED

Calgary Economic Region's pop as of July of last year estimated at 1,468,689. Extrapolating we should already have surpassed 1.5M

http://www.calgaryeconomicdevelopmen...cators/current

If the city implements more solid ARP's/ASP's, and streamlines the approval process I believe we can properly accommodate 40,000 per year growth within the city proper in a well planned manner.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation