HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
There's already a lot of traction when it comes to this fieldhouse - link. It would better utilize that area than the current sporting facilities that are there.
There are programming difficulties in the current iteration. It will have to lose a couple features before it will even be possible to build.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riise View Post
When we talk about replacing McMahon we, not unexpectedly, usually discuss possibilities for a new stadium. Last week I saw MLSE’s plans for an expanded BMO Field and it got me pondering what would be in the realm of possibility for a massive refurbishment of McMahon. While I wasn’t overly impressed with the aesthetics of the plan for BMO Field, I was thoroughly impressed with the plans to renovate and expand Stade Vélodrome in Marsielle. Architects love to embrace challenges, could they do something equally impressive with McMahon?
They can add all the whiz bang they want but the biggest thing for me is new or substantially refurbished stands that can comfortably sit people over 5'8". Not sure how easy that would be to do with the existing concrete.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 4:02 PM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
It would better utilize that area than the current sporting facilities that are there.
Even if that is true, is it the best use of that land?
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 6:22 PM
Traditional Ale User

Quote:
Oh yeah, I remember that proposal. Even if the E-W pitch was removed to accommodate expanding Father David Bauer and Foothills Stadium was demolished to accommodate a Field House, which I feel is still a long shot, the two N-S pitches could be replaced atop a sizable above ground parkade.

Especially in Calgary, people are very quick and probably too quick to turn to the new-build or greenfield solution.

Are there any good urban examples of two large scale sporting facilities being located next to each other? I’m most familiar with London where Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park (multiple facilities) and Wembley (one massive stadium poorly integrated into the local neighbourhood) pale in comparison to Craven Cottage, Emirates Stadium, Stamford Bridge, The Valley and Whiteheart Lane that are all integrated into the local neighbourhood.

Seattle does a pretty good job of this. CenturyLink Field and Safeco Field are next to each other and share common gathering areas, parking & transit facilities.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 7:57 PM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
They can add all the whiz bang they want but the biggest thing for me is new or substantially refurbished stands that can comfortably sit people over 5'8". Not sure how easy that would be to do with the existing concrete.
If possible, I think the current stands could be refurbished to accommodate suites in the upper third or fourth and roomier seating in the remaining space below. The loss in capacity could be replaced or even surpassed by adding smaller stands in the end zones and roll/pull-out seating at the base of the existing stands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luk_o View Post
Seattle does a pretty good job of this. CenturyLink Field and Safeco Field are next to each other and share common gathering areas, parking & transit facilities.
While I find CenturyLink Field to be quite aesthetically pleasing, I neither find its immediate surroundings to be quality urban places nor its integration with these areas to be that high.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 8:18 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Even if that is true, is it the best use of that land?
As it's probably going to remain as lands designated for sporting facilities, a fieldhouse would probably be a better use than what's currently there.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 4:25 PM

Interesting upgrades coming to McMahon in the very near future. ATB is sponsoring an upgrade to include programable LED's on the exterior of the stadium, plus two large LED display boards on the east wall of the stadium. Source

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 9:05 PM

More lipstick on an old, ugly pig. Burn it down already.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 1:29 AM
Moran supreme

So a 2 year bump and I could only find two old McMahon threads - picked on this one just because it seemed the most on target with respect to renovating/replacing McMahon.

Now assuming that plan B could be what comes to be, then what to do with McMahon. One problem is that it is owned by the University of Calgary and sits on their lands but that shouldn't be too much of a stumbling block for deep pockets.

Personally, I like the old girl - yeah, she's got lots of warts but with the right medication she could probably be renovated into something quite good. Do people want an indoor stadium? better concessions and concourses for sure. Better washrooms are a given and most likely more box suites. Location isn't half bad - anywhere else could spell the end for tailgating as well.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 3:22 AM

I just don't think doing a few renovations to McMahon is going to draw new/younger fans or the casual fan who needs a reason to leave the comforts of home.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 3:42 AM

Is there anything wrong with the bones of it? If they stripped it, put new seats, boxes, redid the concourse etc, would that be enough to modernize? or are the angles of it the problem? Seams a waste to tear down a concrete shell and replace it with another one, unless there is good reason. But I know nothing of these things.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Is there anything wrong with the bones of it? If they stripped it, put new seats, boxes, redid the concourse etc, would that be enough to modernize? or are the angles of it the problem? Seams a waste to tear down a concrete shell and replace it with another one, unless there is good reason. But I know nothing of these things.
Thats an option. Better seats with more room, lower capacity but at least it will be "full" so to speak. Larger concourse, maybe even some stands on the ends to make it more of a bowl.

Would still like to see a new stadium more like IGF in Winnipeg though .

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 6:36 AM
Construction Enthusiast

Demolish the upper tiers, and build new cantilevered upper tiers, at the same time, build a wider concourse, with better access into the upper sections, and perhaps a whole new concourse for the upper sections. Enclose the concourses.

Build a partial roof over the stands similar to Winnipeg. Unlike Winnipeg, remember to put in a media booth.

New seats all over. New concessions and washrooms.

There's no way that should cost more than $150 million.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 11:58 PM

I sit high up at centre. With the existing concrete steps, I don't think there is enough room to install regular seats - the depth is too short. At least that is my opinion. They would need to replace the upper section concrete in order to get regular seats to fit.

Otherwise I don't mind the overall layout and location. I know that many people would like it enclosed but like being outside as most of the games are dry and not too cold.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 2:44 PM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudrock View Post
Otherwise I don't mind the overall layout and location. I know that many people would like it enclosed but like being outside as most of the games are dry and not too cold.
Put me down for covered instead of enclosed.
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 3:14 PM

Retractable roof or bust.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
Demolish the upper tiers, and build new cantilevered upper tiers, at the same time, build a wider concourse, with better access into the upper sections, and perhaps a whole new concourse for the upper sections. Enclose the concourses.

Build a partial roof over the stands similar to Winnipeg. Unlike Winnipeg, remember to put in a media booth.

New seats all over. New concessions and washrooms.

There's no way that should cost more than $150 million.
The BMO Field expansion was at a cost of $120 million and that didn't involve demolition, concourse upgrades etc. The Stamps would also have to play somewhere else while all of this was being done, which would lead to revenue loss. I really think Calgary needs a new stadium far more urgently than an arena, McMahon really isn't to the standard of any of the other CFL stadiums.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_179 View Post
The BMO Field expansion was at a cost of $120 million and that didn't involve demolition, concourse upgrades etc. The Stamps would also have to play somewhere else while all of this was being done, which would lead to revenue loss. I really think Calgary needs a new stadium far more urgently than an arena, McMahon really isn't to the standard of any of the other CFL stadiums.
Didn't Hamilton do one half at a time? Maybe the McMahon could be done the same way? Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a whole new stadium, but it would have to be in a new spot to do it.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepstar View Post
Didn't Hamilton do one half at a time? Maybe the McMahon could be done the same way? Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a whole new stadium, but it would have to be in a new spot to do it.
Maybe they started one side early and finished the other side late, but they also definitely played in Guelph for a year.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 5:18 PM
Round Head

McMahon doesn't need expansion, only renovation. I would gut the concourse, and add a new facade that extends over the stands as a roof a bit like BMO or Ottawa's stadium. I think that could be done for ~$100m

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation