HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Aug 10, 2009, 3:08 PM

That is true

The theatres at Crowfoot are also pretty horrible in my experience so I usually avoid them, between the horrible design for the concession that takes 20+ minutes to get through to the seats and general layout of the theatres themselves.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 12:11 PM
Hare Expert

Does anybody know the status of the Westhills Best Buy? If they're slated to finish before the end of the year I'll be happy, then I can score a job with them. (Maybe)

Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vascilli View Post
Does anybody know the status of the Westhills Best Buy? If they're slated to finish before the end of the year I'll be happy, then I can score a job with them. (Maybe)
As far as I know, it's supposed to open in November. Just in time for Christmas!

Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 5:59 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Crossiron Mills is expecting 70,000 people for Wednesday's opening, and up to 90,000 on Saturday.

Pack a lunch, and make sure your car is gassed up. No way can 566 handle this kind of traffic volume easily.

Well, or avoid the whole circus.

Recession? What recession?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 6:14 PM
Hare Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
As far as I know, it's supposed to open in November. Just in time for Christmas!
I figured as such. Missing back to school is bad enough, I don't think they could bear missing Christmas. That's even better though because if I don't make a part time position they can put me on seasonal.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 7:59 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Crossiron Mills is expecting 70,000 people for Wednesday's opening, and up to 90,000 on Saturday.

Pack a lunch, and make sure your car is gassed up. No way can 566 handle this kind of traffic volume easily.

Recession? What recession?
I'd just as soon blow my brains out then even think of tackling that traffic.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 8:25 PM
Hare Expert

I wish I could be there just to see the sheer insanity unfold. To hell with buying things, I hardly do that anyways.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 8:35 PM
Home of Hyperchange

We're literally going to witness the spectacle. I don't seriously expect a parking spot or to fight through the crowds to buy anything. I do want to check out the tacky displays though, this place stands to make WEM look downright classy.

Yes, we're packing sandwiches.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 9:00 PM

Quote:
We're literally going to witness the spectacle. I don't seriously expect a parking spot or to fight through the crowds to buy anything. I do want to check out the tacky displays though, this place stands to make WEM look downright classy.

That's downright sadistic... Good luck!

Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 9:02 PM

I look at the fact the mall is footing a 6 figure bill from the RCMP for traffic control for the opening week as an indication of what things will be like.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 9:06 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:

I hope you are bringing a camera so you can post a "Trip Report" on here afterwards!

Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 9:06 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
I look at the fact the mall is footing a 6 figure bill from the RCMP for traffic control for the opening week as an indication of what things will be like.
A six figure bill for traffic control? Holy crap.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 9:49 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
I'm happy to see the mall picking this one up. Too many organizations do stupid things (like placing a mall in the middle of nowhere with terrible road access) and then expect the public to pay for their mistakes.

/me waves to Cowboys

Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 9:49 PM

Quote:
That's a lot of timbits and coffee.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 9:52 PM
Hare Expert

It appears there is no pet store, meaning there will be no rabbits, meaning I will not be visiting. I might sneak my way into Bass Pro, but I don't like the idea of buying guns from a big box store.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2009, 4:13 PM

Quote:

But then you wouldn't see the Bachelorette!

Old Posted Aug 18, 2009, 6:56 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

I guess it is not retail news, but the story is breaking that Haworth Incorporated (formerly SMED) is shutting down its production plant here and laying off 600 workers.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 5:46 PM
Home of Hyperchange

People have been lined up at CIM since 4:30am.

Anything for a "deal", I guess - if your time is worthless.

Hate mallzac or love it, you have to admit it's an interesting look at human behaviour. It may be a sad reflection of our society but it's still fascinating.

It's amusing to read the Herald comments. I get a distinct sense that posters there are all unemployed and/or broke - a lot of bitter envy seeps through the posts. Those with money, shop. Those without, complain. That would make a good slogan for Canada, actually.

Fun comment:

"One lap around the mall is 2.7 kilometres." - seriously, at the shuffle most people do, that's a FREAKING HOUR just to walk it. Even at a brisk pace that's a good half hour just to circle the damn place.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 6:28 PM
Construction Enthusiast

It's better to have all the stores in an enclosed mall then to have Calgary's version of South Edmonton Common.

I imagine the 2.7 kms is around the outside of the building, not walking inside the mall.

I have no idea why the stores weren't spread out between a couple of floors though, saves people a lot of walking between stores.

It would have better if this was actually inside the city limits, but hopefully Calgary, and the MD of Rockyview can come to good growth agreement. There's going to be a lot of industrial and commercial growth in the Calgary to Airdrie corridor in the next few years.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 6:44 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Yeah, the Mills concept seems stuck on a single floor, I'm not totally sure why (cost?).

Not sure if the 2.7 is an interior measurement - I almost wouldn't be surprised based on the sheer size of this behemoth.

Don't get too excited about "not big box" though - the Mills concept inevitably leads to all sorts of external strip and big box areas, and in fact the next planned phase from the developer is a huge big box element across Hwy 566. I do agree though - enclosed beats all for shopping, if it's going to be in one large centre.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy