HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 5:51 AM
Moran supreme

How about this, almost all on Stampede grounds and utilizing the grandstand - link?

About 2.7km long, could utilize BMO Centre and such as garage/team viewing areas.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 3:25 PM
City Maker

It's interesting to read the comments about F1 made in jest. I was going to jokingly say something as I've taken a liking to F1 so it's good to see a bit of local interest in it.

The mock circuits look pretty cool. I'd think Fuzz's would be more likely as it has more bends and turns. As much as I like going flat out, speedog's loyalty to his name betrayed his circuit's chances.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Dec 5, 2015, 1:44 AM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Calgary needs a dirt or paved oval track. It's a crying shame that a city of 1 million people has no form of grass roots motorsports. (Karting doesn't count).
Calgary doesn't even have karting anymore as the CKC has moved to the new facility they built out by Strathmore - Speeders doesn't count as you can't race your own equipment there.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 5:26 PM

A less practical course, at 2.66 km. Mostly because of the long time for road shutdowns.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 6:13 PM

Oh, well if we are throwing out street courses....

Though I'm not sure 2 lanes on Memorial would be wide enough.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 7:47 PM

If we did a street course, would our bumpy, cracked streets be sufficient, or would this require lots of new paving?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
A less practical course, at 2.66 km. Mostly because of the long time for road shutdowns.

If you want to make that one even more fun, take the hairpin onto pumphouse ave from eastbound Bow, loop under Bow trail to pumphouse road and hairpin back out onto westbound Bow.

I might go out and try a few laps tonight.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 4:24 PM
Community Guy

F1 anywhere else in Canada won't ever happen, ever.

Indy in Calgary would be nice, but let me pitch this to you folk... Formula E.

1. Good new series
2. Good environmental story for AB/YYC
3. Global exposure
4. 'The way of the future'
5. More likely to accept a unique track in YYC

I love cars, racing, but Indy has lost its mojo, that being CHAMP

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 4:42 PM

I'd be happy with Formula E, but this season they are doing about half as many races. I'm not sure why. But ya, they use shorter tracks without hills, so the Stampede grounds would be ideal. They are also adding Autonomous Formula E next year as a pre-race which is going to be really fun to watch. It would be interesting to have all electric racing in an oil town! Good idea!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 4:51 PM

Formula E loop, 2.3km. Doesn't block pedestrian access to the grandstands, provides fan access via walkway to Saddledome. Let's do this.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 5:42 PM
City Maker

Formula E, that would be an interesting avenue to take.

I'm joining in on the mock circuit parade:

“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 7:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post

I love cars, racing, but Indy has lost its mojo, that being CHAMP
Weren't you the mascot when the races were held in edm?

Cgy's should have an upgraded feel

Quote:
The promoter for having the race in Calgary is Indianapolis-based company Green-Savoree who are now handling the effort’s heavy lifting, said Peterson, adding he originated the idea.

They’ve successfully promoted IndyCar races in other North American venues.

It would be a chance to improve on the Edmonton experience which Peterson said exhibited drawbacks under a different promoter.

“I went to all of them in Edmonton but I quit taking customers because there were a lot of issues over organization,” he said.
http://www.calgarysun.com/2015/12/01...o-city-by-2017

Quote:
Toronto’s Molson Indy has been the only Canadian IndyCar race since the Edmonton Indy folded in 2012 after seven years. It suffered from poor attendance and lack of financial support from local businesses. Vancouver Molson Indy ran from 1990 to 2004, won that final year by Canadian Paul Tracy.

“I am aware of success with IndyCar races in other jurisdictions and will keep track of progress on this interesting proposal,” Eggen added.

Peterson told the Globe and Mail in April that a Calgary event could see more success than those in other jurisdictions.

“There are a lot more corporate head offices in Calgary and they just seem to know how to pull off big events. The Calgary Stampede is unbelievable — every year I just shake my head at how they can draw in 100,000 people, 10 days in a row,” he said.
http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...y-indycar-race

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 9:15 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
Weren't you the mascot when the races were held in edm?
I went to all of them as a volunteer track marshall because I wanted to:

a) volunteer
b) have an all access pass
c) have the best seats in the house for 'free'
d) because I love motorsport

But Indy was rather boring compared to the first few years.

That said, it would be great to see Calgary get it and Spring2008 to FINALLY get it.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation