HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 1:29 AM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
But you're forgetting how blasphemous the mere suggesting of including Okotoks is. Actually, how dare you! Heathen!

No it's true. The July 1, 2014 estimate of the regional population by Calgary Economic Development Agency is 1 512 000. So this year that number would be about 1 560 000.
The most famous of all place less than 30,000 in the Canada section.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 7:03 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
The most famous of all place less than 30,000 in the Canada section.
The best part being that it's brought up more often by non-Calgary forumers than it is by us

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 3:26 AM
ARTchitecture

Alberta just grew by another 15 365 people in the most recently released quarter. That puts Alberta at 4 175 409 people, giving us a yearly growth of 89 000 people. Not bad at all.

For comparison, BC's yearly growth was 50 000, Quebec's was 55 000, and Ontario's was 110 000.

These numbers indicate that around 6000 people just moved to the Calgary CMA in three months.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 5:11 PM
Editor

It's nice to see the numbers are still solid. I thought this last quarter would have been bad, but seems decent.

Quote:
Alberta just grew by another 15 365 people in the most recently released quarter. That puts Alberta at 4 175 409 people, giving us a yearly growth of 89 000 people. Not bad at all.

For comparison, BC's yearly growth was 50 000, Quebec's was 55 000, and Ontario's was 110 000.

These numbers indicate that around 6000 people just moved to the Calgary CMA in three months.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 5:30 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Did we continue to close the gap with BC?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2015, 6:09 PM

Quote:

Those numbers must take into account natural increase though. The natural increase for Alberta would be most of that 15K. That said, in times like these it's nice to any growth at all.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 5:22 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
It's nice to see the numbers are still solid. I thought this last quarter would have been bad, but seems decent.
Yeah, they're solid for sure. but still a major drop from the 26 948 in the same quarter last year.

If we can keep up a solid 13 - 15 000 growth per quarter and ride out this downturn, we'll still be in a great spot when we're back on top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Did we continue to close the gap with BC?
Definitely, they grew by less than 8000 the last quarter. The gap has now shrunk to 491 000.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 2:28 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

I'm not sure why I care exactly, beating other cities is more interesting to me, but it would be a milestone to pass BC in population.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 8:07 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Yeah, they're solid for sure. but still a major drop from the 26 948 in the same quarter last year.

If we can keep up a solid 13 - 15 000 growth per quarter and ride out this downturn, we'll still be in a great spot when we're back on top.

Definitely, they grew by less than 8000 the last quarter. The gap has now shrunk to 491 000.
That will be a pretty tall order. I'd say we might see that type of growth for the entire year, and maybe even see a small drop.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 8:47 PM
Editor

I don't know what the natural increase for Alberta would be, but I'm guessing around 8-10K per quarter, so 13-15K might be doable even in the downturn. I guess we'll see.

I would be happy with any kind of increase at all given the situation.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 12:41 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
That will be a pretty tall order. I'd say we might see that type of growth for the entire year, and maybe even see a small drop.
In the worst 12 month of the Great Recession, Alberta grew by around 50 000. I think we'll be able to weather this one similarly. Our natural increase is around 30 000 per year. That won't count for emigration though.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation