HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 4:33 PM

Permits Issued For Ridge Flats In East Falls

Rendering:

Current site:

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/04/perm...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
This has been well under construction for over a year. The rowhomes on McClellan are nearly finished with foundation work underway on the Moore street side. Not sure what kind of update this is...
Wait, you’re telling me that PhillyYIMBY posts bad information? I’m shocked!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
This is perhaps the largest trough of hot nonsense you've ever tried to serve this group.
say what? this is how the work is done by contractors, its not a matter of opinion. I do find it interesting that people who know absolutely nothing about construction are confident in their ability to identify improperly done work. Do you really think that these firms are intentionally doing the work in the wrong sequence? And you honestly believe the key to doing it "correctly" is to consult with people have no clue about such matters? I am telling for a fact that there is a digital system that exists where the various utility companies and government agencies coordinate projects to find out about conflicts, upcoming projects etc. The idea that this stuff is all randomly done is just not factual and sometimes repave jobs are postponed until a planned large scale utility replacement is completed. Have you ever talked to anyone who has ever managed or completed any type of project of this type? You may want to before calling information hot nonsense.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
Thank you for chiming in allovertown. Again something wasnt sounding right.

Cardeza why is it every time we have these convos you have an explanation for the backwards ass stuff Philly does.

It can be done before. Last time I checked they can grade freshly poured asphalt to fit curbs & etc.

Cmon.
The level of ignorance can be staggering at times. First of all, the work is done by private contractors. The city does not do any curb ramps in house and most repaving jobs are done by contractors working for the state or the city. Philly does some repaving jobs, but they dont do the milling- that is done by contractors. The city does not control all the utility companies with underground infrastructure but there are systems in place (such as 811 and GPIS) that help coordinate work and make sure that you don't hit conflicting systems when doing utility work or other work that requires penetration of the street or sidewalk (such as elevators for subway stations). You will not see a water or PGW main replacement take place shortly after a street is paved because that work is coordinated in advance. You may see a repair done on a repaved street because it is a repair- that would mean something that was not broken when the street was paved needed repair and was unplanned- I would think the difference would be obvious. PGW (who has a contractor working on my street as we speak) and PWD do not do their own patches, that is all done by third party vendors who are under contract. Same applies to sidewalk repairs that stem from PGW or PWD work on the owner's property. The contractors have to follow pre-approved repair details when they patch asphalt or sidewalks- this the basis of their bids with the utility companies and if the patch is done properly it will not lead to a pothole as someone claimed earlier. They patch it and then put down a tar seal around the edges to keep water out similar to what they do at the curb line when a street is resurfaced to keep water out of the seam where the asphalt touches the curb.

I suppose no one on here has ever seen a curb ramp being done but contractors have to survey before they start to verify elevations and determine the exact design of the curb ramp to meet ADA standards. You cant do that without the actual STREET being in place at its final elevation. In addition, to make sure the transition from concrete sidewalk to street level is a seamless as required that crew will put in place the transitional section of asphalt that surrounds the edge of the ramp. Don't take my word for it, talk to someone who actually has a clue about these things.

Last edited by cardeza; Apr 12, 2021 at 9:06 PM.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 10:26 PM

You’re infringing on their fantasy hour, how dare you.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
say what? this is how the work is done by contractors, its not a matter of opinion. I do find it interesting that people who know absolutely nothing about construction are confident in their ability to identify improperly done work. Do you really think that these firms are intentionally doing the work in the wrong sequence? And you honestly believe the key to doing it "correctly" is to consult with people have no clue about such matters? I am telling for a fact that there is a digital system that exists where the various utility companies and government agencies coordinate projects to find out about conflicts, upcoming projects etc. The idea that this stuff is all randomly done is just not factual and sometimes repave jobs are postponed until a planned large scale utility replacement is completed. Have you ever talked to anyone who has ever managed or completed any type of project of this type? You may want to before calling information hot nonsense.
The ADA ramps on my street were completed roughly 8 years ago. My street was last repaved within the last five years. They did not have to redo the curb ramps after they repaved the street. It is entirely possible to do the ramps and then repave the street days later, months later, years later, even decades later.

You don't need to talk to someone who managed a project of this type to get this type of information. You just kind of have to exist in the world without your head up your ass and you can easily acquire this type of information.

Like honestly, what in the hell are you talking about? Streets have to be repaved before they redo a curb ramp? This would imply you have to redo every curb ramp whenever you repave a street. This is clearly not true. If you want to defend the city on this, you should at least come up with some more believable nonsense.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 1:32 PM

Man, can this group go down a rabbit hole.

haha

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontst17 View Post
You’re infringing on their fantasy hour, how dare you.
sorry. Going fwd I will defer to self appointed experts.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
The ADA ramps on my street were completed roughly 8 years ago. My street was last repaved within the last five years. They did not have to redo the curb ramps after they repaved the street. It is entirely possible to do the ramps and then repave the street days later, months later, years later, even decades later.

You don't need to talk to someone who managed a project of this type to get this type of information. You just kind of have to exist in the world without your head up your ass and you can easily acquire this type of information.

Like honestly, what in the hell are you talking about? Streets have to be repaved before they redo a curb ramp? This would imply you have to redo every curb ramp whenever you repave a street. This is clearly not true. If you want to defend the city on this, you should at least come up with some more believable nonsense.
you are arrogant and confused. Earlier someone said it was stupid to do a curb ramp after a street is repaved. I said that when a project includes BOTH curb ramps and repaving they NEVER install the curb ramps before the final wearing course is installed. I did not say you cannot so a curb ramp job as a stand alone project- of course you can as long as the street is in place. That actually proves my point. There are occassionally projects bid that only address curb ramps because the ramps installed 20 or 30 years ago are too steep to meet current ADA standards. WHat you will not see is the curb ramp installed first as part of a resurfacing job because as I said you need a finished elevation of the street in place to measure and install properly.

What you just said verifies my point and to claim that you are so knowledgeable that you don't need to consult with anyone that actually knows construction is quite a statement. Wow.....

I will repeat this for the third time- the City repaves FEW streets. Contractors (these are private companies) do the overwhelming majority of repaving and all of the curb ramps. Many of these projects in Philly are run by PennDOT since most major thoroughfares in the City are state roads. Listen I get your anti City sentiment- the point taken- but you are taking it too far and you are clearly unfamiliar with any of the facts on this matter. Then again this is a site where people were arguing that the City controls PECO which is a division of a privately owned, publically traded utility company with HQ in another state- something that can't really be argued amongst intelligent people. This is the danger of an echo chamber. I'll put up 20 years of construction management experience vs your speculation "experience" any day.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 3:39 PM

Unexpected Ridge Avenue Project Will Have All the Parking

Read/view more here:
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...t-will-parking

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 3:40 PM

Construction Progresses At Liberty Square In Olde Kensington

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/04/cons...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 3:42 PM

Bridge Development Partners sets its sights on Philadelphia for industrial investment

Article behind paywall here:
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=2#cxrecs_s

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Bridge Development Partners sets its sights on Philadelphia for industrial investment

Article behind paywall here:
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=2#cxrecs_s
Not much detail here, but potential investment isn't bad.

Quote:
“I like that market a lot,” he said. “It’s the eighth fastest growing MSA in the country. My sons went to Villanova and lived in Center City and I got comfortable with the city, and the supply of modern distribution buildings are lacking. We have taken a real liking to it."
Quote:
Bridge is evaluating some old “antiquated” industrial buildings in Philadelphia and looking in the western suburbs as well as Northern Delaware.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 6:36 PM

deleted

Last edited by allovertown; Apr 15, 2021 at 8:42 PM. Reason: deleted

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 6:39 PM
Show me the blueprints

Is it time to reserve a Dojo to settle this once and for all?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 7:09 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Permits Issued For Ridge Flats In East Falls

Rendering:

Current site:

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/04/perm...ladelphia.html
I actually like the color and look of this.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 7:26 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
All there is so far is the demo permit, which appeared in the City's eClipse Daily Zoning Report on Monday, and a plumbing permit to seal the lateral (typically a precursor to demo). Nothing yet in atlas either.

https://eclipse.phila.gov/phillylmsp...lyZoningReport

ZP-2021-000231 Jan 26, 2021 316-20 S 11TH ST, Philadelphia, PA 19107-6067 316 SOUTH 11TH STREET L P 1
Complete Demolition of Existing 3 Story Parking Garage
The zoning permit for the 9 townhouses at this site was issued today. The developer is OCF Realty.

https://eclipse.phila.gov/phillylmsp...ctId=316220199

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 1:20 AM
Midrise

8-story Hotel at 3rd & Walnut to Proceed

Society Hill hotel tower that sparked backlash moves ahead | PlanPhilly
Developers snagged a zoning permit for a scaled-down hotel tower in Society Hill –– less than a year after a similar proposal from the same developer sparked outcry and the creation of new height limits for parts of the historic neighborhood.

The final iteration of the hotel project would replace a large single-family dwelling from the 1990s near 3rd and Walnut streets with an eight-story, 100-foot tower featuring 90 hotel rooms for an unnamed hospitality operator and ground floor retail.

Rich Villa, partner at Ambit Architecture acting on behalf of owner Marie F. Cerone, said the final project, which was approved by the city’s Historic Commission last year, would be built in excess of the new 65 foot height limit as the developer had applied for zoning permits prior to the passage of the overlay.

[snip]

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 10:05 AM
Philly Pholly

Quote:
Construction Progresses At Liberty Square In Olde Kensington

[/url]
I guess they don't want to encourage anyone to linger by not having an seating.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
Society Hill hotel tower that sparked backlash moves ahead | PlanPhilly
Developers snagged a zoning permit for a scaled-down hotel tower in Society Hill –– less than a year after a similar proposal from the same developer sparked outcry and the creation of new height limits for parts of the historic neighborhood.

The final iteration of the hotel project would replace a large single-family dwelling from the 1990s near 3rd and Walnut streets with an eight-story, 100-foot tower featuring 90 hotel rooms for an unnamed hospitality operator and ground floor retail.

Rich Villa, partner at Ambit Architecture acting on behalf of owner Marie F. Cerone, said the final project, which was approved by the city’s Historic Commission last year, would be built in excess of the new 65 foot height limit as the developer had applied for zoning permits prior to the passage of the overlay.

[snip]
Looks great!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development