HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 2:47 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
So far, it's the only tenant (taking a very healthy chunk of the building). You could be right, but I don't think you are. It's early days yet. Others will sign on. As to Tower Fifth, I don't think rents will be as high as 425 Park.
I don't think tenants will be a problem for either building, both are flashy towers for different reasons, but would likely cater to the same market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky88 View Post
But Macklowe can't avoid all this unnecessary bureaucracy (NO-action condition) and start building the tower. I am afraid that too many useless opinions can cancel the project.
Macklowe just needs his permits approved, and then concern himself with tenants/financing. This is a tall tower, but not really a very large one by NYC standards. There will be about a million sf to fill. I'm also guessing Macklowe is expecting a pretty good return on both the retail and observation deck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prezrezc View Post
The very last thing that could even by the remotest inkling of possibility derail the progress of a potentially super-opulent, time-honored structure such as this that dares shriek at the skies for its due presence is ignorant, uninformed or simply half-baked public opinion.

Amen: Let sun, moon and fatuous NIMBYs alike shrink from the presence of what we are about to see on this tract of land.
Lol. I'm sure once we get to the public phase, there will be some torches thrown. I'm sure Gale Brewer, as we speak, is thinking of how best to knock it down. But this also appears to be a very public tower. I'm not sure how many concessions they can squeeze out of Macklowe. I do expect maybe some feedback on the design. Landmarks may not be pleased with so much glass at the street level, but they did approve Steinway's glass. And likewise, they approved the cantilever at Central Park Tower. But by the time we get that far, there could already be some revisions in the design, so we'll see how this develops as it goes along.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 2:54 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
We’ve seen the south and east facades. I wonder if the north and west facades are the same.
We need more renderings. We haven't seen the most dramatic view, from the 52nd Street side where the office tower would be more prominent. And better details of the actual facade.

If you look closer in this rendering, the schematic the people are looking at on the right gives somewhat an idea of how this tower rises above the stilt like lower levels...

And whatever NIMBYs will have to say about how tall the building is, you have to put it all in context. The Chase tower will be very close, and of similar height.
Whatever applies to one applies to the other as far as skyline impact goes.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 5:37 AM

This is the tower that Tom Cruise jumped off of at the end of Vanilla Sky...
It's all coming to pass! Do you think he's currently cryogenically frozen? Or maybe he's gallivanting around NYC as a rich playboy right now as we speak!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 1:01 PM
BANNED

I really hope that the north and west facades are different. One article stated that it tapers at the midsection. Considering the current rage for open air space, it would be interesting if the north façade has some hollowed out/recessed spots with outdoor areas overlooking the park.

Gensler is too good of an architect to create an uninspired box.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 4:50 PM
Ω

Skyscraper nimbys in Midtown Manhattan have to be among the most miserable people in the world.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 4:52 PM
Ω

The lobby is so uninspired.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 6:24 PM

Looks like this projects going to invent holograms too.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarri4 View Post
Looks like this projects going to invent holograms too.
you do realize that holograms exist?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 9:48 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
The lobby is so uninspired.
What? Dude on the escalator's rockin a double breasted suit!

On the flipside, dude on the skydeck's got a manbun.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 2:27 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
I really hope that the north and west facades are different. One article stated that it tapers at the midsection. Considering the current rage for open air space, it would be interesting if the north façade has some hollowed out/recessed spots with outdoor areas overlooking the park.

I highy doubt the north and west sides would be any different. I believe that tapering comment was just a reference to the open mechanical section. We still haven't had a good look at the facade, and there's so much more to this tower that we haven't seen, including the public spaces (shops, auditorium, food hall).

And speaking of pubic spaces, Olympic Tower next door has had some changes...

https://ny.curbed.com/2019/1/25/1819...r-fifth-avenue

Midtown East POPS gets revamped with café, circadian lighting
The privately owned public space of Olympic Tower creates a new place of respite in a busy neighborhood

By Zoe Rosenberg
Jan 25, 2019

Quote:
Those who find themselves in Midtown East in need of respite are in luck: Olympic Tower’s privately owned public space (or POPS) will officially reopen today after its $30 million overhaul by building owner Oxford Properties Group.

The corridor is in the base of the 1972 Skidmore Owings & Merrill tower that counts itself as the first mixed-use building on Fifth Avenue. It’s home to commercial and office space, including the headquarters of the NBA, as well as condos that have attracted the likes of the Gucci family.

The building is also near to the site where 432 Park Avenue developer Harry Macklowe aims to build a 1,551-foot office skyscraper, named Tower Fifth, using air rights from the neighboring St. Patrick’s Cathedral.

The refurbished POPS was designed by MdeAS and includes fresh art and seating along with a new café concept by Ignazio Cipriani called Grano New York to the space. It also loops in circadian lighting and a green wall.
Quote:
Plans to remake two notable neighborhood POPS have come under scrutiny in recent months in the wake of Midtown East’s 2017 rezoning: In December, JP Morgan Chase unveiled a plan to reduce the POPS surrounding the base of its headquarters at 270 Park Avenue—where the not-long-for-this-world Union Carbide Building stands—from 10,000 feet to 7,000 feet. The plan failed to win over Community Board 5’s land use committee, and will be represented with a finessed concept in the coming months.

In its revamp of the former Sony headquarters at 550 Madison Avenue, Snøhetta is reimagining the building’s POPS by adding a glass canopy that would create an open feeling within the space as well as adding seating. Current plans for the POPS renovation also include removing some retail space and an annex Sony added when it purchased the building in the 1990s to create square footage and seating. The plan must be approved by the City Planning Commission before it can move forward.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 9:43 PM
New Yorker for life

Opinion...

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/29/o...n-skyline.html

Not Another Manhattan Tower!
A reader says the beauty of New York City lies elsewhere.

Jan. 29, 2019

Quote:
To the Editor:

Re “Another Giant May Soon Scrape the Midtown Sky” (news article, Jan. 19):

I don’t live in New York anymore, but I love New York City — its energy, its vibrancy and diversity.

But I am not impressed with tall and taller buildings. Beauty is the river, the parks, the brownstones. Those glass sticks in the air are impressive but cold and unimaginative.

I’d much rather that someone (a city/state/private/federal collaboration) return Penn Station to the beauty and elegance it once had. Since I visit often by train, the first thing I see of Manhattan is this eyesore — a rundown, ugly, uncomfortable domain of plastic, dirt and escalators.

Can’t we combine utility and beauty for all as opposed to the ho-hum oversize glass towers that are a homage to nothing but glitz?

Nancy Gerson
South Dennis, Mass.

NO Nancy. Enjoy Massachusetts.

More opinion...

https://www.architecturalrecord.com/...-tall-too-tall

Opinion: Living Tall, Too Tall

January 29, 2019
Page Cowley FAIA, FRIBA and Peter Samton, FAIA

Quote:
Like such other world capitals as London or Shanghai, New York City has been witnessing a disturbing boom in supertall skyscrapers. These extremely tall residential and office towers have been made possible by new technical developments. For example, residential construction benefits from high early-stage strength of high-performance reinforced concrete and pumpability coupled with slip and climb formwork, which saves money by reducing the construction time considerably. Where taller buildings used to be confined to commercial and financial sectors of the city, a new generation of supertall luxury apartment buildings have begun to infiltrate low and mid-rise residential areas. Several such towers now line West 57th Street in Manhattan, giving spectacular views of Central Park from the top apartments.

They can easily shoot up above their surroundings because the floor area ratio (FAR) zoning regulations do not necessarily limit height. Now with the ability to build higher with such ease, luxury apartments are being planned with ceilings that are twice the height of conventional standard apartments: a new 30-story apartment building today could be the equivalent height of a 60 story, older neighbor with the same allowable floor area, but much lower ceiling heights. Many of these new supertalls contain only one or two units per floor. None of them, of course, include affordable housing.

Quote:
While real estate economists say the trend to residential supertalls may be waning, because of over-supply of multi-million dollar units and the threat of a slowing economy, they are still some extraordinary transactions: last week, hedge fund tycoon Kenneth Griffin broke the record price for an apartment by paying $238 million for a penthouse on Central Park South in a not-yet-completed tower designed by RAMSA. More supertalls are under construction and others are in planning stages. On the Upper West Side of Manhattan, one example, on West 66th Street, is 775 feet high. Designed by Snøhetta and SLCE for Extell Development, it is shorter than the supertall qualifying height of 984 feet given by Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat but it is nearly twice the height of the tallest neighbors and a bit taller than the lofty Time Warner Center at Columbus Circle.

Recently announced are plans for a mixed office and residential tower just off Fifth Avenue on East 51st Street, which would rise to 1,551 feet, taller than the Empire State Building. It is designed by Moed de Armas & Shannon Architects and Gensler for developer Harry Macklowe, who built the new residential tower 432 Park Avenue by Rafael Viñoly. That 1,396 foot –high chimney-like structure used five double-height mechanical floors evenly spaced within the tower to gain more height, because mechanical spaces do not count as floor area under current rules. The new project, called Tower Fifth, in a mostly commercial area, is just north of St. Patrick’s Cathedral— which likely sold much of its 1.2 million square feet of transferrable air-rights to make this project possible. Although there are no height restrictions for this major insertion in Midtown, Macklowe may have to ask for waivers or special permits for approval. So its future may not be guaranteed.
Quote:
The problem with all this upward push on the skyline is its impact on density and character throughout the city. Tall New York has always been balanced by low New York. Many low-rise residential neighborhoods have maintained their appeal precisely because they are a counterpoint to the height and darkness of mid-town and the financial district. It is past time for New York’s Department of City Planning (DCP) to reassess unlimited height districts and “soft” sites (under-developed existing lots). The city needs to re-evaluate where supertall buildings would be suitable, and where they would be destructive to the existing neighborhoods.

And while a new plan is formulated to bring existing zoning rules up-to-date with the reality of New York today, the City Council should mandate a moratorium on any “as-of-right” supertall project. Both the Department of Buildings and City Planning need to evaluate fire and life safety, as well as the impact of this building type on adjacent properties with regard to straining infrastructure. It should also consider view corridors, the negative effects of wind tunnels, and, most important, shadows cast across parks, playgrounds and open space.

In addition, the term “as-of-right” needs to be redefined, along with tougher regulations regarding air rights transfers and lot mergers. Any proposed new tower development that far exceeds the average adjacent building height should be submitted to the DCP and the appropriate Community Planning Board for public review and comment.

The regulations for air rights transfers are tough enough. These people who are so afraid of anything tall need to move away from skyscraper cities. As it is, there are very few places in the entire city of New York where you can even build a supertall tower. And this just one city in a vast country with many cities, but much more open space.

Last edited by NYguy; Jan 29, 2019 at 9:53 PM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 9:49 PM

^in fairness she does have a point about Penn Station. But that's about it.

Side note, I looked up Harry and he's now 81. I sure hope he can pull this off with the time he has left. Not many developers have the cajones he has

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 9:51 PM

South Dennis? Probably living out retirement on Cape Cod. No skyscrapers for leagues. She's probably plenty happy there.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 9:57 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackster99 View Post
^in fairness she does have a point about Penn Station. But that's about it.

Side note, I looked up Harry and he's now 81. I sure hope he can pull this off with the time he has left. Not many developers have the cajones he has
Well, Amtrak owns Penn Station. I'm not sure how she thinks it's the same thing as private developers building their own projects. But Macklowe is certainly up there, I hope he plans to push this forward with gusto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
South Dennis? Probably living out retirement on Cape Cod. No skyscrapers for leagues. She's probably plenty happy there.
I'm sure she is. So she should stay there, and let the city continue to be the city.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 10:47 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Tower 5th.

Credit: skyscraperengineering

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 11:16 PM

That actually looks pretty good... Not an official render though?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 11:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Tower 5th.

Credit: skyscraperengineering
Is that an official rendering? Something looks different on the southwest façade beneath the observation deck.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 1:09 AM

When does this joke-a$$ massing model get replaced by an actual design?

This thing is truly pathetic.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 1:25 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

It isn't an official rendering.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
you do realize that holograms exist?
No. Because true holograms don't exist yet.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals