HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

432 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 10:29 PM
Is That LEGO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck From NY View Post
That concrete is looking pretty awful. I can't imagine billionaires living behind it.
Dumb question, but what is that blue boxed platform used for?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 1:38 AM
Certified Idahoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsr View Post
Dumb question, but what is that blue boxed platform used for?
That is a dock for the crane to drop materials into that floor.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 2:09 AM
Is That LEGO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome2Boise View Post
That is a dock for the crane to drop materials into that floor.
Thanks. Makes sense.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 2:57 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
That concrete is looking pretty awful. I can't imagine billionaires living behind it.

That's the point, they'd be living behind it.

I'd gladly trade places with any one of them who didn't want to. (Most won't be billionaires btw)

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

I'd gladly trade places with any one of them who didn't want to. (Most won't be billionaires btw)
I knew you'd say that in response. My point was that its quite a juxtaposition, and it looks ugly close up.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 2:31 PM

So are they now at 50th floor ?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 3:00 PM

Quote:
I knew you'd say that in response. My point was that its quite a juxtaposition, and it looks ugly close up.
To you it looks ugly. To others it looks great. No accounting for taste, and if you don't like weathered concrete buildings, then you aren't going to like the exterior.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 3:21 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
As said, to you. But to the people that matter, it will be worth the money. I can't even afford it, but I don't find it ugly at all. If you don't like it, you don't like it. There's no law against that.

(Feb 14, 2014)

Rising over the snowy metropolis....

www.432park.com

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 9:20 PM

Question

Any schedule when it is going to be ready ?

http://mesoslaunch.blogspot.fi/

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
On the plus side, it should look great from far away where most people will see it.

Regardless, I hope they clean it regularly.

Quote:
As said, to you. But to the people that matter, it will be worth the money. I can't even afford it, but I don't find it ugly at all. If you don't like it, you don't like it. There's no law against that.
I find it amusing that you're chiding me for stating my opinion in a way that sounds like a factual report when that's something you've done repeatedly. Unlike me, you do it as a response to people's opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
To you it looks ugly. To others it looks great. No accounting for taste, and if you don't like weathered concrete buildings, then you aren't going to like the exterior.
I see no reason why I should have to say "in my opinion" every time. I don't need a lecture on subjectivity. I'm the last person to attack people's tastes.

Last edited by Duck From NY; Feb 15, 2014 at 2:27 AM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 2:32 AM

Quote:
I see no reason why I should have to say "in my opinion" every time. I don't need a lecture on subjectivity. I'm the last person to attack people's tastes.
Actually, that's exactly what you did. You claimed that you were mystified why billionaires would live there, because obviously everyone thought the building was ugly.

I only pointed out the obvious; your view is not a common one among the target market of potential buyers. For whatever reason, you thought your subjective views on weathered concrete were universal, and that you knew better than the developers what wealthy homeowners want.

432 isn't my favorite building, but I think the Macklowes know what they're doing here. The proof is in the sales.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Actually, that's exactly what you did. You claimed that you were mystified why billionaires would live there, because obviously everyone thought the building was ugly.

I only pointed out the obvious; your view is not a common one among the target market of potential buyers. For whatever reason, you thought your subjective views on weathered concrete were universal, and that you knew better than the developers what wealthy homeowners want.

432 isn't my favorite building, but I think the Macklowes know what they're doing here. The proof is in the sales.
This is not as clean as the concrete will ever be. They are going to sand/patch and seal the concrete from what i read a while back. Will this be done every few years who knows. Then again the weathered concrete. Is that what they want?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 2:24 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:

I find it amusing that you're chiding me for stating my opinion in a way that sounds like a factual report when that's something you've done repeatedly. Unlike me, you do it as a response to people's opinions.
Glad to amuse you. In the future, if you don't want anyone to respond to your comments, don't make any.

(February 15, 2014)

www.432park.com

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 2:47 PM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
I might be in the minority, but I happen to agree. I don't dislike the exposed concrete per se - and the renderings make it look fabulous - but the implementation has not gone well. Cracks, stains, discoloration...yuck.

I'm still holding out hope that they end up sanding/finishing it before all is said and done. As someone else said, this team (Macklowe, Vinoly) generally knows what it's doing, so I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 3:49 PM

Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are no plans to buff or polish the concrete when the structure is complete.

I think that is the issue Duck from NY has with this building. You refer to it as "weathered concrete" but the failures of the building go well beyond weathered. The dirt from construction is not the same as organically gained grit from the city. That is why it's hard to give this building as pass.

In fact, Duck from NY said "it should look good from far away" implying he LIKES the architectural style just like you.

Quote:

Most (not to imply everyone of course) would agree the interior as rendered is much more attractive than the monolithic and dirty exterior. As architectural enthusiasts and critics, and since most of us will be on the outside, it makes this a disappointing building.

Last edited by NYguy; Feb 15, 2014 at 5:30 PM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 4:55 PM

its already so prominent in the skyline ,whens the next core jump?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 5:39 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermetAJ View Post
Most (not to imply everyone of course) would agree the interior as rendered is much more attractive than the monolithic and dirty exterior. As architectural enthusiasts and critics, and since most of us will be on the outside, it makes this a disappointing building.
You find it disappointing, and that's too bad for you. I see this building often enough, and the dirt and grime you speak of is hardly noticeable in person. In fact, the average person will hardly notice it (I would say they wouldn't notice at all). If you want to talk about design, that's another thing entirely. But the building - which will have a surface of mostly glass - isn't anywhere near completed. Whether it will be "cleaned" or not remains to be seen. Take that as you will.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 5:52 PM

Quote:
You claimed that you were mystified why billionaires would live there
Here's what I actually said: "That concrete is looking pretty awful. I can't imagine billionaires living behind it." I said nothing about why billionaires would want to live there. I didn't even necessarily think the condition of the concrete in that picture was permanent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILNY View Post
It's interesting because the concrete looks pretty clean from this picture earlier this month.

Last edited by NYguy; Feb 15, 2014 at 6:36 PM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 6:56 PM

Quote:
You find it disappointing, and that's too bad for you. (1) I see this building often enough, and the dirt and grime you speak of is hardly noticeable in person. In fact, the average person will hardly notice it (I would say they wouldn't notice at all). (2) If you want to talk about design, that's another thing entirely. But the building - which will have a surface of mostly glass - isn't anywhere near completed. (3) Whether it will be "cleaned" or not remains to be seen. Take that as you will.
(1) I hope you are right. I haven't seen it in person. Generally, the close up photos expose the dirt, stains, and defects.

(2) I have talked about design before. I think this building is an 'ode to engineering' and is not architecture. It is a monument to the minimum of human imagination. I am also critical of minimalism as a celebration of the devolution of creativity or design. However, the general response to my criticism is "it's just your taste". Rarely are the aesthetics of building defended, so what's the point of talking about design?

(3) This topic has come up before, either on this thread or a different website, and there were no plans to clean the facade. I'll do some research for source verification.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 7:57 PM
Come As You Are

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermetAJ View Post

(2) I have talked about design before. I think this building is an 'ode to engineering' and is not architecture.
Not architecture? What other building in the entire world looks like this? I would say this is very a groundbreaking design, and not just for its thinness. This building isn't afraid of using perfect squares, unlike most other buildings these days that just use off-squares or have whacky Doha-style forms.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive