HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khowaga View Post
AUS -JFK was a CRJ9 for a while, too.

DL is apparently phasing out some of its connection contracts; the one with ExpressJet ended yesterday. Compass is probably picking up the slack, but with the E175 or A220 they can operate pretty much anywhere in the lower 48...
JFK-SAT is Endeavor’s longest route (with the CR9 of course). Like AUS, it’s usually an A319/320 but sometimes goes to a CRJ9 around Christmas/New Year. It’s not an ideal situation as both JFK-AUS/SAT can require a fuel stop with a full boat and strong headwinds. The E75 can also be payload limited on flights like LGA-DFW.

Funny enough Compass (and Trans States Holdings sister carrier GoJet) have long been rumored to be next on the Delta Connection chopping block.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightChop View Post
Delta Connection carriers frequently rotate on a route based on multiple factors. Compass used to be a frequent operator on flights to MSP and DTW. I haven’t seen them operate into AUS since the mainline buildup. Additionally they had their MSP base close.

I know at least Endeavor will be operating DTW-AUS around Christmas. The low inter-holiday period is about the only time you see Connection carriers on these routes anymore.

Regarding CRJ retirement, the long term is to eventually remove the CR2 from the fleet. The CRJ-900 will be around for many years. I believe the last time a CRJ-200 serviced AUS it was Mesaba or Pinnacle (Northwest Airlink) doing IND-AUS in the late 2000’s.
I think the last time the CRJ came to AUS DBA Delta was when the MEM route was still online. The SkyWest CRJ can be found at the 2:50 mark of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf4wu7XaIKY

AirTran is also in this video, RIP
And a Delta 757, wish those still flew to AUS, also RIP

I wish the CRJ was no more at my hometown airport, I have flying the trashcan.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 5:07 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCZERO View Post
Small bit of news: the sub carrier "Compass" will start flying for Delta once the expansion is done. They typically fly regional jets. No word on routes.
Intriguing. Even though Compass is based in the Twin Cities, it doesn't fly out of there. In fact, it currently does not fly anywhere east of XNA (Northwest Arkansas Regional Airport-Bentonville). This is a Mountain/West Coast carrier.

It will be interesting which routes Compass will run from AUS.

Depending on equipment, the airline does fly to YYV (under DL flag), YYC (under DL flag), YEG (under DL flag) and MZT (under AA flag). I would welcome, with open arms, a route to YYV (Vancouver, BC) and/or MZT (Mazatlan, MX)!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Intriguing. Even though Compass is based in the Twin Cities, it doesn't fly out of there. In fact, it currently does not fly anywhere east of XNA (Northwest Arkansas Regional Airport-Bentonville). This is a Mountain/West Coast carrier.

It will be interesting which routes Compass will run from AUS.

Depending on equipment, the airline does fly to YYV (under DL flag), YYC (under DL flag), YEG (under DL flag) and MZT (under AA flag). I would welcome, with open arms, a route to YYV (Vancouver, BC) and/or MZT (Mazatlan, MX)!
Just an idea but Compass might be adding destinations that aren't served by or are under served by Delta. Corpus, Valley, Midland, Killeen, Amarillo (don't say it I know Via already flies there) even Tyler. They could take Via on head to head add a little competition to OKC, TUL, TUS etc. Hit some Canadian or Mexican airports. Right now most if not all of Delta's flights are main line aircraft. Just a passing idea....

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoes View Post
Just an idea but Compass might be adding destinations that aren't served by or are under served by Delta. Corpus, Valley, Midland, Killeen, Amarillo (don't say it I know Via already flies there) even Tyler. They could take Via on head to head add a little competition to OKC, TUL, TUS etc. Hit some Canadian or Mexican airports. Right now most if not all of Delta's flights are main line aircraft. Just a passing idea....
If Compass started their own branded operation all of Trans States Airlines would probably have their regional contracts terminated very quickly. They don’t even have the fleet slack to perform this kind of operation.

ExpressJet ran into problems with Continental when they started their branded ops out of SAT in 2007/08.

Like I said this is just likely some typical shuffle and there’s nothing to suggest they aren’t doing flying with their other partner AA.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightChop View Post
If Compass started their own branded operation all of Trans States Airlines would probably have their regional contracts terminated very quickly. They don’t even have the fleet slack to perform this kind of operation.

ExpressJet ran into problems with Continental when they started their branded ops out of SAT in 2007/08.

Like I said this is just likely some typical shuffle and there’s nothing to suggest they aren’t doing flying with their other partner AA.
It’s also not particularly in DL’s business model. I know there’s this “If AUS becomes a DL focus city, they’re obviously going to link smaller Texas cities through it” bandwagon—but they don’t have a small regional feeder operation to destinations in the Piedmont out of RDU, nor to smaller New England destinations out of BOS. It doesn’t follow that AUS would serve regional Texas cities.

IMO, Compass will most likely be supplementing mainline routes, and maybe introducing some new ones that need time to develop into mainline routes.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 8:17 PM

October 2018 Passenger, Cargo Traffic at Austin-Bergstrom

For Immediate Release:
December 4, 2018
Derick Hackett, Aviation PIO, 512/530-7545
Bryce Dubee, Aviation PIO, 512/530-6618
Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (ABIA) - News

October 2018 Passenger, Cargo Traffic at Austin-Bergstrom

October 2018

Passenger Activity:
Total passenger traffic for October 2018 was 1,434,756 up 13.1% compared to October 2017. October 2018 enplanements totaled 713,910, up 13%.
Southwest Airlines passengers totaled 495,908, up 7.3% compared to October 2017;
American Airlines passengers totaled 267,149, up 11.7%;
United Airlines passengers totaled 207,852;
Delta Air Lines passengers totaled 187,333, up 7.9%;
Frontier Airlines passengers totaled 123,435, up 183.6%;
Alaska Airlines passengers totaled 50,235, up 64%;
JetBlue Airways passengers totaled 46,721, down 7.2%;
British Airways passengers totaled 16,001, up 36.2%;
Allegiant Air passengers totaled 15,841, down 39.2%;
Norwegian Air passengers totaled 6,851;
Air Canada passengers totaled 4,818, up 23.5%;
Sun Country Airlines passengers totaled 3,939;
AeroMexico passengers totaled 3,488, up 12.8 %;
ViaAir passengers totaled 3,250;
Volaris passengers totaled 1,291, up 8.9% and
Swift Air passengers totaled 86.

October 2018 air cargo totaled 18,676,841 lbs., up 5.3% compared to October 2017. International air cargo totaled 4,063,175 lbs., down 4.5%. Federal Express carried 8.7 million lbs., up 5.7%; and United Parcel Service carried 3 million lbs., up 2.5%.

Air Services transferred 663,512 lbs. of mail, up 10%; and 1,919,129 lbs. of belly freight, down 9.5%.

Aircraft Operations: General Aviation operations totaled 4,321, down 9.9%. Combined operations (including commercial and military) totaled 18,588, up 3.7%.

January - October 2018

Passenger Activity: Total passenger traffic for January – October 2018 was 13,196,196, up 15.1%, compared to January – October 2017. January – October 2018 enplanements totaled 6,594,067, up 14.8%.
Southwest Airlines passengers totaled 4,612,516, up 8.3%;
American Airlines passengers 2,339,503, up 7.4%;
United Airlines passengers totaled 1,939,849, up 3.8%;
Delta Air Lines passengers 1,762,862, up 19.8%;
Frontier Airlines passengers totaled 981,213, up 150.5%;
JetBlue Airways passengers totaled 490,057, down 2.8%;
Alaska Airlines passengers totaled 461,242, up 102.7%;
Allegiant Air passengers totaled 243,311, up 10.5%;
British Airways passengers totaled 144,025, up 33%;
Norwegian Air passengers totaled 54,123;
Air Canada passengers totaled 39,907, up 14.5%;
AeroMexico passengers totaled 35,633, up 16.8%;
Sun Country Airlines passengers totaled 23,584;
Condor passengers totaled 18,876, down 4.4%;
ViaAir passengers totaled 18,832;
Volaris passengers totaled 13,263, up 3.3%;
Virgin America passengers totaled 11,117;
Vacation Express passengers totaled 2,758;
Swift Air passengers totaled 1,920; and
Scandinavian passengers totaled 697.

October 2018 (January – October 2018) air cargo totaled 152,376,456 lbs., down 3.5% compared to October 2017. International air cargo totaled 19,102,698 lbs., down 14.2%. Federal Express carried 82.5 million lbs., down 4.5%; and United Parcel Service carried 30.9 million lbs., up 9%.

Air Services transferred 6,249,904 lbs. of mail, up 10.4%; and 16,705,494 lbs. of belly freight, down 5.5%.

Aircraft Operations: General Aviation operations totaled 40,724 for January – October 2018, down 6.8%. Combined operations (including commercial and military) totaled 176,257, up 5.4%.

###

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 9:32 PM

BA up 33% this year? Caused by them using a 747?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschwab View Post
BA up 33% this year? Caused by them using a 747?
And a 777-300.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2018, 4:55 AM
Member since 2001

On pace to hit ~15.986 million passengers this year! Or roughly one million more than capacity with the new nine-gate expansion - yet to open.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2018, 5:38 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
On pace to hit ~15.986 million passengers this year! Or roughly one million more than capacity with the new nine-gate expansion - yet to open.
I feel like they need to break ground on the new extension and upgrades to drop off/pick up now, and likely need to look to fast-track the additional wing of the new expansion.

This port isn't slowing down, and whatever Delta has planned is going to make it worse not better.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2018, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
I feel like they need to break ground on the new extension and upgrades to drop off/pick up now, and likely need to look to fast-track the additional wing of the new expansion.

This port isn't slowing down, and whatever Delta has planned is going to make it worse not better.
Need to, yes. Unfortunately "able to" is probably a quite different story.

The FAA timeframe for approval of the master plan is probably still April/May, then it has to go to architectural planning for actual designing of the next phase (which needs to be run through the city council again, possibly more than once for approval to start planning and then again for the construction budget).

It's going to be at least a couple of years before anything can actually start moving on the ground.

But, look at the bright side: it'll still be done way before anything ever happens to I-35

Old Posted Dec 5, 2018, 7:53 PM

It’s at least 3 more and separate approvals from city council for the process before you see construction. Also, don’t forget how crazy long it takes to get permit review and approval.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2018, 10:14 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by khowaga View Post
Need to, yes. Unfortunately "able to" is probably a quite different story.

The FAA timeframe for approval of the master plan is probably still April/May, then it has to go to architectural planning for actual designing of the next phase (which needs to be run through the city council again, possibly more than once for approval to start planning and then again for the construction budget).

It's going to be at least a couple of years before anything can actually start moving on the ground.

But, look at the bright side: it'll still be done way before anything ever happens to I-35
Right, which is why I am arguing for the next two construction phases to start in tandem so that by the time this is online we haven't outgrown it. My concern is getting stuck in a loop that starts to hamper economic growth because our airport can't keep up with demand.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2018, 11:39 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

I read that ABIA expects Phase 1 of their new expansion to be completed sometime between 2025 & 2027. So, that still falls in line with a final design/approval/permitting process of 2-3 years. If it starts in late 2021, there is plenty of time for it to be completed by sometime between late 2025 to late 2026.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2018, 11:59 PM

JetBlue continues its decline. When will it hit the bottom? It’s the one airline that keeps dropping (that and Allegiant I guess but they sill have a decent presence).

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 4:13 AM

Given that growth rate, life is going to be fairly miserable in ole Barbara Jordan by about 2022 or so. There're already a lot of bodies/cars/planes/pieces of luggage making their way through that building during peak hours. Only gonna get worse.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Given that growth rate, life is going to be fairly miserable in ole Barbara Jordan by about 2022 or so. There're already a lot of bodies/cars/planes/pieces of luggage making their way through that building during peak hours. Only gonna get worse.
There are things the port could do to alleviate some of this if they were so inclined. Moving the taxi and ride share pickup to the CONRAC is a start. Enlarging the food halls and creating retail spaces with dedicated seating is another.

There’s room for a west terminal infil that could create a security checkpoint on the opposite end of the check in area the same size as checkpoint 1 (on the east side). Moving that early morning and midday mess at checkpoint 2 away from the American ticket counter and the hallway where people are trying to get by would help greatly.

Moving to more common use check-in desks for smaller carriers, and moving the bigger carriers apart so that they can utilize the smaller carriers’ desks during peak hours. I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again: I don’t understand why Aeromexico, Air Canada, British, and Volaris (and Norwegian, Condor/Lufthansa) have dedicated check-in desks. Only two of those carriers operate daily into ABIA; and all of them have one flight on the days they do. (In San Antonio, Aeromexico passengers check in with Delta—and AM is a hell of a lot bigger there than they are in Austin, but here they have their own desk).

If they separated American and United on the west side, and Delta and Southwest on the east, and allowed them to take over the smaller desks in between at peak hours it would help to reduce long lines and minimize the number of people standing in the middle of the concourse blocking the pedestrian flow.

In conclusion: forwards, not backwards, upwards not forwards, and always whirling, whirling, whirling toward a new tomorrow. Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 2:32 PM
Resident Moron

My #1 I'm a genius solution to fixing ABIA is reducing the number of crosswalks at arrivals and putting lights or a crossing guard in.

The current "crosswalk every 10 feet with auto right of way to pedestrians" is insane and grinds traffic to a halt.

Also they took out too much seating to add bars/restaurants and stores. I feel like they've made the walkways thinner and more crowded on the edges.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 4:49 PM

Quote:
My #1 I'm a genius solution to fixing ABIA is reducing the number of crosswalks at arrivals and putting lights or a crossing guard in.

The current "crosswalk every 10 feet with auto right of way to pedestrians" is insane and grinds traffic to a halt.
Oh, gosh, YES. Or if they'd legalize running over idiots. Either/or. (I'm kidding. Kind of.)

They also need better enforcement of the no waiting rules. When I came in the other day, there were a lot of people parked down at L and M, as if the rules don't apply down there because they're "out of the way."

Quote:
Also they took out too much seating to add bars/restaurants and stores. I feel like they've made the walkways thinner and more crowded on the edges.
Yeah, in the "bubble" area I agree - it's better in the piers. I'm hoping the end to the construction in the food court and where the performance stage is will ease the situation.

Southwest certainly didn't help by putting in those massive chairs. I get that they're comfy and have charging ports, but they take up a ridiculous amount of space in the waiting area. It's like they've got one chair where 6 could go.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin