HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

View Poll Results: Which transbay tower design scheme do you like best?
#1 Richard Rogers 40 8.05%
#2 Cesar Pelli 99 19.92%
#3 SOM 358 72.03%
Voters: 497. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Nov 27, 2006, 2:27 AM

^^^I think those colors actuallygo well together(with the orange used sparingly. reminds me of buildings that use that green weathered copper as accents and on roofs).I wonder how that would look with a less intense blue..something with a blue tint or hue but glassy and reflective as well? I bet you are right about the Nimbys. Look at the Chicago Spire proposal-immensely tall but thin enough that nobody got too upset about it blocking any views. Same thing there I bet. Tall and thin also means that the entire site does not need to be used..I am not sure how wide the 1/3 block is but a symmetrical tower could just use the middle third and leave the other two thirds for something like pocket parks-like they did with the TranAmerica Pyramid and the pocket park planted with redwoods. Again the wood of the redwood tree brings me back again to that reddish orange color. that color would catch the color from the bridge as well as the trees. And blue of course for the sky and bay. JMO of course.*runs and hides* lol.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2006, 2:54 AM
Green Berniecrat

Right, you sort of have to use your imagination and take these "renderings" that I made, and give them a real life look, similar to what architectural firms give you. You had earlier made a reference to implementing the color of the Golden Gate Bridge, which was a pretty good idea in my opinion. As I said before, I believe the only problem in SF is people worried about views. We could theoretically build as high as we could if we just settled the view conflict. Now that we probably will get slender and majestically designed towers, they may very well be even taller than they're rumored to be.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2006, 4:23 AM

I think these pictures show how well tones of orange can go with different tones of blue(all pics from the net-not mine) especially when it is not done in a garish way.

Very subtle orange hues near the top of these buildings in this painting:

even in nature you will see these colors together: (Casper Wyoming)

And in this pic of Shanghai there are many different hues of orange and blue tones(not that I am approving of any of the particular architecture here-just talking about the colors)..also love the oranges and blues with the gold colors-gold being another San Francisco tie-in(the gold rush of 1848 basically starting of the city):

and yeah I know these are not the real colors-just showing this way in this picture with the sun on them and all-but they illustrate my point.

I think these reflect more of what I am talking about than an ugly International orange box..something that just borrows ideas and inspiration from the natural surroundings in the Bay area. It just seems like that would be a good idea for inspiration since the natural surroundings and structures(bridges n this case) of SF seem to define and impact that city so much more than many other US cities. The natural surroundings have determined the areas of development and the bridges(exemplified by the Golden Gate Bridge) are the lifelines that tie the areas together. I guess I am interested in this SF project since it is my favorite city(and my city Columbus just does not have alot going on right now).

Last edited by toddguy; Nov 27, 2006 at 4:29 AM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2006, 4:31 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddguy
^^^I think those colors actuallygo well together(with the orange used sparingly. reminds me of buildings that use that green weathered copper as accents and on roofs).
Hmm . . . . Green weathered copper . . . . You mean like this?:

Old Posted Nov 27, 2006, 5:50 AM

well maybe 'green weathered copper' was incorrect..I was just referring to the green that is used on some buildings as a way a kind of how a different color can be incorporated in buildings in a sparing way. I was not referring to the color green as a color to use in SF necessarily.
*edit*
I guess what I meant was the green 'patina' that copper gets with age. It is artificially 'aged' to get that green patina and is used mainly in roofing of certain buildings.

Like the top of this building:

or the top of the skyscraper on the left:

I wish we had stuff like this going on here. The most we have right now is a 20 story condo tower going up. What with this project and the Treasure Island project proposal in SF it must be nice!

Actually I think those tones/hues of orange, blue, and gold in the Shanghai pic(either at sunset or sunrise to get those different colors) would look great on a tall, tapering building in SF.

more pics of buildings with orange and blue hues together in Hong Kong:

I think these and the Shanghai pics show that at least certain hues of orange and blue look good together.

Last edited by toddguy; Nov 27, 2006 at 6:32 AM.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2006, 2:59 AM

When will the submitals for the project be released to the public??

Old Posted Dec 10, 2006, 4:28 AM
Green Berniecrat

I dont think that releasing the submitals before the designated period is over is a good idea. Because of this, I think it is safe to assume that it will at least be January 2007 before we start hearing more details emerge. All we can do now, is speculate, I guess.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2006, 4:30 AM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Do you mean submissions, or is 'submitals' just some sort of SF developer lingo that I'm clued out about?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2006, 4:38 AM
Waiting for what's next..

Remember "guyz"...

No one does it better than Mother Nature.

From a child:
Dear God,

I never realized how good purple and orange looked together, until I saw the sunset yesterday.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2006, 4:41 AM

what i mean is when is the public going to be shown something like the final designs for the terminal and tower. Or is it possible that they transbay committee will not release anything until the final design has been chosen?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2006, 6:58 PM
Green Berniecrat

I think TJPA will wait until the design period is over before they say anything about the few designs that have been selected as finalists. Afterwards, we will all get a say on what looks best and whatnot, but I guess they will decide in the end. I dont think we should expect anything for at least another month.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2006, 6:51 AM
Green Berniecrat

Speaking of speculation, these are my previous drawings (slightly modified) along with some more familiar buildings, just for comparative purposes. Maybe not these colors or those designs, but something to this nature or size.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2006, 8:14 PM

Heres a dissapointing letter i recieved from someone at the TJPA about when the renderings will be released to the public:

Thank you for your interest. The Transbay Transit Center and Tower Design and Development Competition is a two-step process. We are currently in the Request for Qualifications (RFQ) phase, which does not require design renderings. The second stage of the Competition is a Request for Proposals (RFP) from an invited short list of teams that will be selected based on their Stage I qualifications submittals. The teams' proposals, which are not due until July 2007, will include design concepts. So any renderings that are created as part of this Competition will not be released to the public until August 2007. 

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 8:59 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btown View Post
Heres a dissapointing letter i recieved from someone at the TJPA about when the renderings will be released to the public:

Thank you for your interest. The Transbay Transit Center and Tower Design and Development Competition is a two-step process. We are currently in the Request for Qualifications (RFQ) phase, which does not require design renderings. The second stage of the Competition is a Request for Proposals (RFP) from an invited short list of teams that will be selected based on their Stage I qualifications submittals. The teams' proposals, which are not due until July 2007, will include design concepts. So any renderings that are created as part of this Competition will not be released to the public until August 2007. 

Why is this a disappointment? The design process is just getting underway. And it's a good thing--the San Francisco market can only absorb so much new construction at a time. With several spec office buildings either underway or about to be (555 and 535 Mission, Foundry Square IV and the building at 2nd and Howard) and a number of highrise condos (One Rincon Hill, The Millenium, The Infinity, The Californian, the Turnberry project etc), it would not make sense to plan to build the TransBay buildings for 4 or 5 years (at least) anyway. There simply isn't the demand.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 3:58 AM

I just feel that with so many tall buildings goin up in other great cities around the world, sf shouldn't be stuck with an 850 footer, even if it is a great landmark. One rincon, Millenium tower, 300 Spear are all great projects, but none of them have the possiblility of changing how others view sf. I think that the sooner at least one of the shorter towers goes up the better. And just get the new terminal built. I use the current one every day going from sf to berkeley and its really an eyesore inside an out.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 5:30 AM
Green Berniecrat

^^^

While I would love to see building levels in SF look more like the ones in Chicago, I do also think that we should approach that level gradually. The Transbay Terminal would seem, to me, as a jump start towards that reality. Most of the old NIMBY conservative ways have subsided and hopefully now, guidelines will be relaxed when dealing with building height. The truth is we dont know the heights at this moment. They've only said " 1000'+ , 850'+ and 850'+ ", which could end up meaning all three being above 1000'. Also, concidering that we may have some knd of rendering by next summer is encouraging news, that date will arrive in no time.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 8:31 AM
BANNED

When you get the renderings, the "old NIMBY conservative ways" will resurface with a vengeance. I bet Sue Hestor is licking her chops for this fight. I just hope Dean Macris stays at the Planning Dept. long enough to lead the fight for the buildings. I think he's basically "one of us".

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 5:39 PM

Macris quit.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 4:56 AM
Green Berniecrat

Yeah, not having Macris on board could end up hurting us, especially with Hestor lurking in the shadows. Luckily, the commitee and the people seems to support Transbay.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 6:52 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Church View Post
Macris quit.
Any replacement?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development