HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 11:27 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
Panama City was a Colombian city back then Panama exists as a country today because we Americans decided to make it one, thus ensuring we had control over the Panama Canal - something the Colombian government didn't agree to at the time. But Panama City was bigger than any Colombian city until the early 20th century; it was the principle embarkation point for all Incan treasure trains heading back to Spain via Nombre de Dios.
I am aware of this (that is the plot of Nostromo basically), but again, which city was more important in the 19th century is basically what I'm getting at. Contrary to my expectations, it appears Panama city was bigger back than which is pretty interesting. I always thought of it as a beach town whereas the old colonial architecture would be more concentrated in Cartagena or something.

Last edited by dc_denizen; Jan 28, 2013 at 11:40 PM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 5:51 AM
Babylon falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickell View Post
Also kind of confused... you want tropical but nothing too hot?
Well some tropical places have more mild conditions due to latitude or altitude. Honolulu for example has a much more comfortable climate than Miami or Manila for example.

And San Jose, Medellin, Cuenca Ecuador, etc. are at tropical latitudes for sure but have nice mild weather due to being above 4500 feet above sea level.

So if possible I would prefer a place that doesn't get stifling humidity with no breeze like many tropical places do. I will make exceptions of course if the city is amazing.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Also kind of confused... you want tropical but nothing too hot?
It sounds like he's looking for a tropical highland climate rather than humid tropical (or whatever the Koppen classification for, say, Singapore is).

Quote:
Another plus for Colombia is that it's about halfway between here and the rest of South America. Only 3 hrs or so to Miami and the most of the Americas is within 5 to 6 hours.

I'm pretty intrigued my Medellin.
Hell just reading this thread has made me start thinking about moving to Colombia... and I've just moved to London. I do wish I'd made it down there before I left, not sure how long my friend will stick around in Bogota.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 12:31 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Port Moresby?
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 1:32 PM

West coast Mexico? Matzatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Los Cabos?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 1:36 PM
if I sang out of tune

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
West coast Mexico? Matzatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Los Cabos?
Not much to do in these places if you're not retired or working in a tourist industry...

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 3:02 PM
video et taceo

port moresby. because fuck it.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 3:26 PM

^ Too far and a bit primitive, no? I mean, it's Papua New Guinea for Christ's sake.

How about Bermuda?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Not much to do in these places if you're not retired or working in a tourist industry...
If he's outdoorsy, like fishing and sailing, they could be a paradise.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 3:47 PM

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 6:25 PM
FUS RO DAH!

he said he can work through the computer, so I assume he can go anywhere, as long as there are at LEAST decent internet broadband connections. That may or may not exclude some of the more secluded places.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2013, 5:51 PM

No one can answer this question for you. You'll have to do the research yourself. My Aunt lives in Hawaii and loves it. You're still protected as a US citizen and have all the American amenities you like. Plus the weather is awesome. I'd pick a US city over any other before I move outside of the US if I could help it. Lastly, people always pick Latin America before any other place which is crazy. It's just not that safe. I have lots of friends that have lived there for many years and could not wait to get out. I have lived in Nicaragua myself and did not like it. Trust me, it's beautiful, but unsafe especially for an American. I lived in Cape Town SA and really enjoyed it. You have amazing urban amenities as well as close proximity to the Indian Ocean and the South Atlantic. It's a large metropolis city and has a gorgeous landscape with mountains and lots of outdoor activity. Plus the food is some of the best I've ever had. The scenery reminds me alot of California with an amazing tropical feel. The weather is always perfect and rain is rare. The only set back is learning how to drive because they are opposite of the US. You still have alot of the same shopping we have here in the US at the water front. Not only that, but the drive out to Cape Point is amazing. It is however the longest flight in the world as far as duration goes from ATL to Johannesburg international then to Cape Town. As far as safety goes, I never felt fear like I did when I lived in Central America. Much safer in Cape Town than any others outside the US. Good luck

Old Posted Feb 9, 2013, 6:15 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Cartagena is beautiful!!

Old Posted Jun 26, 2013, 1:32 AM
FUS RO DAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecolley View Post
Despite the advantages, I think I would prefer living in Brazil, though. As a white guy with an anglo-looking face, I stand out in Colombia. There is no way I could pass for Colombian, therefore everywhere I go, people automatically know I'm a foreigner. Personally I like to be able to blend it. It makes me feel more secure. In Brazil, I do not stand out. In fact, people are always asking me for directions in Brazil!

Good luck with your move! Wish I could do the same!
not even in Blumenau, Joinville, Jaragua, Nova Petropolis?

well, seriously, with a TAN, I suppose any blond person can fit in most brazilian cities. Although in the northeast almost all white people are upper classes.

you are hard pressed to find a blond supermarket cashier in the northeast of Brazil, or a white maid. In the south however, they are easy to find. Racism is not absent in Brazil, and unfortunatelly the lower class jobs are only (usually) occupied by whites in southern Brazil.

Without a tan, not even brazilians fit in. My sister has blue eyes and VERY pale skin (probably from the dannish side of my family). She was in Bahia a few weeks ago and a kid said to her "wow, I never saw a person so white before"

Old Posted Jun 26, 2013, 9:56 PM
Oak City

If you're a U.S. citizen then Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands would be easy to do as there's not work visa requirements or anything. San Juan has been struggling economically but if you're a skilled worker as with many large cities you shouldn't have too much trouble. Housing would be much more expensive in the Virgin Islands. There were a ton of projects going on in San Juan the last couple times I was there, but that was two year ago. We've all seen Old San Juan but here's a residential street in Condado:

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Hell just reading this thread has made me start thinking about moving to Colombia.
I know, right? Cartagena has just made it onto my "Must See" list.

I've been plotting on a way to move to Brazil. If the stars aligned correctly I'd go to Rio or Salvador in a heart beat.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 4:37 PM
them bones

Panama City would be high on my list. Not unlike San Juan.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2013, 4:18 AM

Rio de Janeiro!

It's a very diverse city racially and is less dangerous than people say it is. Stay in good areas and you'll be fine.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2013, 4:36 AM
Kneeless

Noumea, bring a boat. Nuf said.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions