HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 4:18 PM

A more detailed map of NYC shifts.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 4:40 PM

Wow - I wonder why Trump was *more popular* in 2020 in NYC.

The republican enclave in south Brooklin is surprising to me, especially since it's such a strong Trump majority. Staten Island doesn't surprise me in the least.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 4:49 PM

Yeah, the red areas are Orthodox Jewish areas or white ethnic (former Soviet, Italian, Irish, Greek).

The deep red on SI is the most Italian and Russian area, and almost entirely white. The lighter red on SI are ethnic white (usually Italian and Irish) majority, but somewhat diversifying areas.

In Brooklyn, all deep red are either Orthodox or Russian. The two big deep red splotches are Borough Park (biggest Jewish community outside of Israel) and Ocean Parkway (wealthier, more modern Orthodox). There's a small light red section in Bay Ridge, along NY harbor, that is a wealthy area with Greek, Italian and Russian small business owners, often in palatial homes. The still-Italian parts of Bensonhurst are also light red, as is the Italian-Irish-former Soviet SW Brooklyn (which is rapidly turning Orthodox, so I could see it as deep red soon).

In Queens, the red splotches in the center are all Orthodox or former Soviet (very conservative community of Central Asian Bukharan Jews and large Israeli community). The red splotch in the northeast is Whitestone, which is Italian/Greek and somewhat upscale, and the red near JFK is Howard Beach, which is Italian.

In the Bronx, the small red zones on the eastern waterfront are Italian. The tiny red zone is Albanian. Riverdale, in NW Bronx, which is Modern Orthodox, is blue, however. I'm not clear why they voted different than the modern Orthodox in Brooklyn, but the Brooklyn community is more Sephardic and the Bronx community more Ashkenazi.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 4:51 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Voter turnout in Central Park is horrible...

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post

The republican enclave in south Brooklin is surprising to me, especially since it's such a strong Trump majority. Staten Island doesn't surprise me in the least.
Because NYC is more Orthodox in 2020. The GOP share in NYC will rise in the coming elections.

South Brooklyn is probably plurality Orthodox. It will definitely get redder, even as it (likely) gets less Italian and former Soviet.

SI will get bluer in subsequent elections. Brooklyn will be redder than Queens going forward.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 6:07 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Looking on Justice Map, it's still a pretty heavily white community. Basically the only white neighborhood in that part of Chicago, minus some portions of Bridgeport that are more or less adjacent.
great link!

i had no idea how strongly the irish were still holding out in that little pocket.

my little "daley descendants" joke was more on target than i had realized.

Quote:
The red blob though seems to be a bit to the east and north of here, where there's another little nexus of mostly white blocks directly north of Armour Square.
yep, that little trump blip lines up perfectly with the little pocket of white people just north of armour square park as seen in your map link.

the rest of armour square is now more chinese than anything else, and will likely only be getting more so as time goes on.

bridgeport overall has become quite an interesting mash-up of holdover ethnic whites, chinese, mexicans, and leading-edge gentrifiers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Only 100%? I see you did not partake in the fine Chicago tradition

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 11:10 PM

I checked the Cincinnati MSA to see when it last went Democratic.

The metro is deep red all the way back to 1964, when Johnson swept all but one rural county. Indeed, Obama is the first Democrat to win Hamilton County itself since LBJ. Even in the 1990s and 1976 blue waves, metro Cincinnati was the reddest part of Ohio. In 1976 Hamilton County was one of the ten largest numerical margins for Ford of any county in the country!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 11:28 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post

Has New York even finished counting? That could be a big part in why Trump's numbers are better than 2016.

According to the NYT webpage, Manhattan still has seven-percent outstanding, Queens has only counted 83% and Bronx is at 95%.

So, that lead can certainly grow.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 12:02 AM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxRox View Post
I checked the Cincinnati MSA to see when it last went Democratic.

The metro is deep red all the way back to 1964, when Johnson swept all but one rural county. Indeed, Obama is the first Democrat to win Hamilton County itself since LBJ. Even in the 1990s and 1976 blue waves, metro Cincinnati was the reddest part of Ohio. In 1976 Hamilton County was one of the ten largest numerical margins for Ford of any county in the country!
Cincinnati/Hamilton County has long been a Republican stronghold. Might have something to do with the Taft family and some companies being headquartered in the city (specifically Proctor & Gamble and Kroger, the corporate workforce of both attracting suburban, white collar, college-educated voters), but the city itself has always been somewhat blue.

It's suburbs, especially in the Ohio counties of Warren, Butler and Clermont, have and will probably always be a deep shade of red.

What'll be interesting to watch is Kenton, Campbell and maybe even Boone counties in Kentucky. It doesn't help Ohio, but if I remember correctly, those three counties went blue for the 2019 Kentucky Gubernatorial Election?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Has New York even finished counting? That could be a big part in why Trump's numbers are better than 2016.

According to the NYT webpage, Manhattan still has seven-percent outstanding, Queens has only counted 83% and Bronx is at 95%.

So, that lead can certainly grow.
No, they haven't finished counting NY.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
No, they haven't finished counting NY.
NY Times just updated so that all of the counties are reporting 100% in. Some of the estimates of how much vote was left outstanding may have been wrong.

New York seems 100% in, though the official deadline for certification is next Monday, so some votes may still trickle in.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 12:34 AM

Quote:
NY Times just updated so that all of the counties are reporting 100% in. Some of the estimates of how much vote was left outstanding may have been wrong.

New York seems 100% in, though the official deadline for certification is next Monday, so some votes may still trickle in.
Ah ok. That must've happened very recently. I don't think they were finished as of this morning (or I was looking at something out of sync).

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 1:24 AM

Quite the drop in Suffolk County, the more WWC Long Island county. Trump only took it by 10,000 votes.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 2:26 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

Wonder how much of the CT-NJ italian American vote trump won

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 2:27 AM

I don't know if this has ever been posted here. It's a national interactive election map for 2016 down to the precinct level. Probably too early for a similar map for 2020.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/.../36.12/-119.41

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Quite the drop in Suffolk County, the more WWC Long Island county. Trump only took it by 10,000 votes.
Suffolk is more WWC than Nassau, but still relatively affluent and educated. So the fact that Trump (barely) won it is indicative of some local demographic quirks.

It's really Italian and copland/GC-land on the South Shore. The North Shore and East End are quite affluent/educated.

No Orthodox or former Soviet concentrations, though. There are some Jewish concentrations on the North Shore and in the Hamptons, but not huge numbers.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
I don't know if this has ever been posted here. It's a national interactive election map for 2016 down to the precinct level. Probably too early for a similar map for 2020.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/.../36.12/-119.41
That is an awesome map.

Madison stands out with how far its rural surroundings stay blue.

ETA: McMullin won precincts in Provo, heh.

Last edited by ChiSoxRox; Dec 4, 2020 at 2:58 AM.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 3:29 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Trump won Suffolk by about seven points in 2016 and basically a point in 2020. So, even here you see he really took a hit in the suburbs.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 5:08 PM

Does OP (or anyone else) have updated NYC MSA figures?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 5:17 PM

Cool article with an interactive map showing all the MSA results:

Quote:
How Metro Areas Voted in the 2020 Election
By Richard Florida
December 4, 2020, 8:04 AM EST

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...n?srnd=citylab

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions