HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Can we also forego the jumping to conclusions about posts? I am from Regina and love Regina and just came back home from Toronto for two weeks and that picture is when we landed. If we can't express our views negative and positive on this forum without calling it a pissing match then this would be a brutal forum. Refreshingly, the main point and realistic assessment currently is that Saskatoons airport is far more beautiful visually right now then Regina's. I have also posted many times that I am very excited and hopeful for what major renovations and expansions are to come.
And I'm sorry to have offended you, but I just fail to see what the comparison adds to the discussion. Can't we just acknowledge that the new Saskatoon airport expansion is beautiful in its own right? Perhaps if both we're undergoing an expansion at the same time, there would be some merit in comparing the two. But we know Regina's next expansion plan is still several years off.

I know there's a natural provincial rivalry but must we always conclude who's is "better"? That seems to be an underlying theme of many threads in this board.

And for the record I'm a born and raised Regina guy who happens to live in Saskatoon now, so I get asked constantly (and in both cities) which one I like better - my response is, I love both cities for the unique things that each has to offer.

OK rant over! I'll get off my soapbox now.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 5:23 PM

Ever since the mid '50s, both of our airports had improvements in a staggered manner. (Over time.)

YQR'S expansion during '03-05 was based on [Transport Canada's] 1983 major expansion design and appearance. Back during the 'Transport Canada' days, airports were merely utilitarian-looking and functional. (As compared to now.) When Saskatoon's major expansion occurred starting in 2001, airports across Canada had already been [then recently] operating as their own respective airport authorities, allowing each airport authority to cultivate their facilities as they see fit.

Within the next few years, YQR terminal will be experiencing a major modernization programme as well.

Hopefully YXE will improve the groundside appearance in the near future. We must admit to the fact that The groundside to YQR is far more attractive because of copious number of trees and rolling grassy hills --- YXE still does not possess that, as-of-yet. (Hopefully they will soon though as well.)

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 11:03 AM
ConstructionPete

Westjet Officially Announces Purchase of 767 Jets in 2015

Richard Bartrem
July 29, 2014

What a great day for WestJetters and our guests! Today, we announced that we will be acquiring four Boeing 767-300ERW in 2015. To break down the numbers, the 767 is the aircraft type, 300 is the series number – the medium size, if you will, of the 200, 300 and 400 series aircraft. The ER is extended range, meaning it has increased fuel and therefore range capabilities and finally, the W indicates that these aircraft are outfitted with winglets which improve the fuel efficiency of the aircraft.

Read More...

Obviously there will not be direct service to either Regina or Saskatoon but it definitely opens up the potential for great one-stop connections to other destinations.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 2:34 PM

Travellers that live in Calgary are so lucky. Non-stop flights to basically anywhere in the world now thanks to that new runway and airport expansion.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0myte View Post
Travellers that live in Calgary are so lucky. Non-stop flights to basically anywhere in the world now thanks to that new runway and airport expansion.
Accessibility to major markets via air for executives is a key determinant in head office location decisions. So, good for Calgary growth generally.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2014, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalin_10 View Post
Richard Bartrem
July 29, 2014

What a great day for WestJetters and our guests! Today, we announced that we will be acquiring four Boeing 767-300ERW in 2015. To break down the numbers, the 767 is the aircraft type, 300 is the series number – the medium size, if you will, of the 200, 300 and 400 series aircraft. The ER is extended range, meaning it has increased fuel and therefore range capabilities and finally, the W indicates that these aircraft are outfitted with winglets which improve the fuel efficiency of the aircraft.

Read More...

Obviously there will not be direct service to either Regina or Saskatoon but it definitely opens up the potential for great one-stop connections to other destinations.
WestJet's '767s will possess winglets. (Which are not common for the '767s.)

Obviously, they will be used exclusively for long, non-stop flights. (As opposed to 'milk runs.')

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 2:41 PM

More news on Saskatoon passenger numbers

ww.newstalk650.com/story/saskatoons-airport-continues-break-records/404818

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 2:43 PM

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 4:02 PM

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 7:13 PM

IMPROVED ACCESS COMING TO AIRPORT

SaskatoonHomepage.ca
Thursday, 14 August 2014

It will soon be more comfortable to drive around the airport.

A jointly funded road construction project between the City and the Airport Authority will see another lane added in both directions from the intersection at 45th Street to the airport.

Director of Construction & Design with the city Chris Hallam says Phase 1 of the $2.25 million project is already underway.

Board Chair of the Airport Authority Ben Robb says it's about time this was done because there has been a lot of congestion issues at that intersection. He notes that passenger numbers coming and going from the airport in the last decade has increased by more than 82 per cent. There were 1.3 million travellers at the airport in 2013.

[........]

Read more:
http://www.saskatoonhomepage.ca/impr...port/itemid_21

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 2:52 PM

Anyone know when the city of Regina will finally have Transit service to the terminal building?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Anyone know when the city of Regina will finally have Transit service to the terminal building?
I'll find out next week.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 8:11 PM

Saskatchewan Losing Chicago Flights

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneTheMachine View Post
That's too bad. Only been to Chicago once but was looking forward to going again in the future. Would have been nice to fly direct.

United must be going through a major review of their flights because I read last week somewhere that Edmonton was losing it's flight direct to Newark.

I generally prefer to go South and West for my vacations anyways (don't fly much for work), but never good to lose routes.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty c View Post
That's too bad. Only been to Chicago once but was looking forward to going again in the future. Would have been nice to fly direct.

United must be going through a major review of their flights because I read last week somewhere that Edmonton was losing it's flight direct to Newark.

I generally prefer to go South and West for my vacations anyways (don't fly much for work), but never good to lose routes.
I always found going through Chicago rough. I dislike the terminal layout, if you have a tight connection you are more or less screwed. Minneapolis Custom to back into terminal is MUCH better.

But with United now with Continental their routings through Denver are greatly enhanced.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 3:26 AM

UA lost a ton of business because they have a horrible reliability rep on the YQR-ORD flight. Plus all those cancellations must be really costly.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 7:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneTheMachine View Post
It is regrettable; however, not surprising. YQR/YXE are already well serviced from down south. We still have PHX; LAS; DEN; MSP to accommodate our connections. Our two [meso-scale] markets can patron only so much cross-border flights.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 2:15 PM

If I need to get somewhere and can't find a flight out of Calgary that will get me there, the next option is Denver. I don't think I ever once considered Chicago as a connection option. It's not surprising that this route didn't work.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 3:37 PM

Unfortunately, I just booked a flight a couple of weeks ago to Cabo and back in the winter on United. The flight down was one stop in Denver, but the only way back with one stop was through Chicago. It was perfect for us. A little father to fly, but a decent day of flying in the end. I found out about this on Monday on a different forum. Checked our confirmation on United, and they still having us flying to Chicago, but then they fly us to Denver, and then home. The funny thing is they have us landing in Chicago at 6:24 pm, but our flight to Denver leaves at 5:05. An hour and 20 minutes before we land in Chicago. Haven't contacted them yet as we are trying to find the best option to get home, but it looks like it will be one hellacious day to get home with two stops, one in Houston, and then one in Calgary. Ugh!

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 4:01 PM

Hmmm....my wife is in travel industry and said that the Chicago flights did pretty well out of here (despite less then desirable flight schedule). She did say that Denver seems more popular routing out of Saskatoon, though. Still too bad we loose an international connection....hope they pick up another one soon...New York or LA would be nice!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan