HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 2:58 AM

The skinny apartment building at 12th & Vine, is going up.

Choi Funeral Home, 12th & Vine Sts by xnedski, on Flickr

Here's a rendering: https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...pg?format=750w

Here's a Naked Philly article http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...y-at-12th-vine

Last edited by GtownFriend; Mar 17, 2018 at 8:27 AM.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 3:47 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

So earlier today I took a long walk through Brewerytown and Sharswood. Things I noticed:

- Last summer I commented on how new development had gotten up to Master in the Brewerytown area. Well, it's moved a block further north, with new construction now on three sides of Athletic Square and up to Jefferson west of 26th.
- Plenty of PHA action around Ridge, where they've cleared the old Blum site of everything except for that one tower they're intending to keep as senior housing and are now building rowhomes all along Jefferson and punching 23rd and an interstitial street through the site. There's also a zoning notice suggesting PHA is planning on turning the school across the street into more senior housing. The new PHA HQ is now a big steel frame along Ridge.
- The usual new apartment buildings popping up around Templetown.
- Cecil B. Moore west of Broad is evolving into quite the commercial corridor, despite the unfriendly architecture for it, with retail tenants jamming into first floors up and down the street. I contended several years ago that the commercial demand along Cecil B. Moore was a lot higher than most people realized, and that looks borne out. It would not surprise me if landlords started converting more ground-floor apartments along the street to retail to get in on that particular game.
- Remember when we talked about putting paths on that silt islet over by Boathouse Row? Whelp, they're finally doing that.
- Lemon Hill is in positively atrocious condition, with stairways that are starting to sag, walking paths whose condition varies from "overgrown" to "unusable runnels" to "completely lost", lack of clear demarcation between pedestrian and auto areas in places, and other issues related to undermaintenance such as railings falling apart as the wood posts holding them together rot. But hey, they cleared out some thicket to reestablish the viewshed from the hilltop, so they've got that going for it, which is nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
It's maybe my favorite building in the city just for how eccentric it is, and they've done the impossible and have really honored it while renovating it. Who's the developer? I'm ready to send them a thank you card.
Brickstone.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 1:12 PM

Construction fence is up and mobilization began yesterday near the southeast corner of 19th and Ludlow. I thought I heard that this was supposed to be a POD hotel going up on the Parkway lot, but haven't seen much about it lately.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 1:57 AM

^Glad to hear, been waiting for that hotel project to begin.

Rittenhouse smaller projects:

---

---

Aramark new HQs - peeking thru, 2400 Market St

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 5:21 AM
Midrise

Quote:
Those Gallery renderings are absolutely astounding for their complete lack of any diversity at all. I guess black people aren't invited and only a few token asians are allowed (who I guess just wandered a block over from Chinatown by mistake)? I don't usually get worked up for small potatoes stuff, but sheesh...
So why's the new Gallery's marketing campaign lily-white? | Mike Newall | Philly.com

Quote:
I reached out to the Gallery’s developer, Joseph Coradino. “Must be a slow news day if you’re writing about my renderings,” he said. He said that he wanted the Gallery to be an inclusive place and that the renderings were stock images his company altered to show the physical space — in other words, we should be paying attention to the buildings, not the people. (The fact that stock images in general are full of mostly white people is another can of worms.)

But he conceded: “We should have taken pause.”

Imagery matters. This is the premier shopping destination downtown, the embodiment of the new Market East, and the way we sell it matters, too. The people who walk by this every day — the people who would use the new Gallery — need to see themselves in the marketing of it. As Roberts said, they’ve got to change this.

The company’s senior vice president of corporate communications called me an hour later. “Poorly monitored and not at all intentional,” she stressed. The signs are coming down as fast as possible.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 6:00 AM
Show me the blueprints

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 10:40 AM

So, best case scenario, this is just plain incompetence.

This, along with the concept shifts and some of the material choices they've made for the "updated" exterior don't exactly bode well for the success this project.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 1:47 PM
Midrise

Quote:
It's maybe my favorite building in the city just for how eccentric it is, and they've done the impossible and have really honored it while renovating it. Who's the developer? I'm ready to send them a thank you card.
Brickstone Realty. Of course.

http://brickstoneco.com/history/

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 2:27 PM

saw this wonder if they got the idea from the post your quoted

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
The new PHA HQ is now a big steel frame along Ridge.
I believe PHA has moved out of their Chestnut Street HQ into temporary office space while they wait for the new Sharswood HQ to get built. I wonder if that means redevelopment of the Chestnut Street site is imminent....?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eixample View Post
I believe PHA has moved out of their Chestnut Street HQ into temporary office space while they wait for the new Sharswood HQ to get built. I wonder if that means redevelopment of the Chestnut Street site is imminent....?
where on Chestnut is the PHA location?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 5:09 PM
Philly Pholly

This is the last proposal I remember for 30th Street Station apron. Is this approved? Is there a timeline for this?
This with along the new Drexel Square will really transform this area before any towers get built. Exciting.
900x0_s3-38782-N-023_18-JR-1 by jackftl, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidphilly View Post
22rd or 23rd, I think. There was some proposal floated by PHA before, but I can't remember what it was exactly

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidphilly View Post
https://goo.gl/maps/r1AeR1GkbuJ2

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
This is the last proposal I remember for 30th Street Station apron. Is this approved? Is there a timeline for this?
This with along the new Drexel Square will really transform this area before any towers get built. Exciting.
900x0_s3-38782-N-023_18-JR-1 by jackftl, on Flickr
Yea, this is definitely happening after the renovations are finished.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 8:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:

This, along with the concept shifts and some of the material choices they've made for the "updated" exterior don't exactly bode well for the success this project.
oh for God's sake, can we drop the identity politics?
just because the people they chose to show in one rendering aren't "diverse" enough, it doesn't bode well for the success for the project?
Please. Iditiotic.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
oh for God's sake, can we drop the identity politics?
just because the people they chose to show in one rendering aren't "diverse" enough, it doesn't bode well for the success for the project?
Please. Iditiotic.
I had very similar thoughts when I read this post earlier

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 11:16 PM
Show me the blueprints

Look I'm about as liberal and left as one can be and not be called a commie, but this whole ridiculous "controversy" over a stupid random rendering not having enough focused group'd perfect token diversity is one of the more eye-rolling politically correct things I've encountered in a while. It's almost like a satirical story that makes the rightwing media go apeshit and reinforces all their prejudices about how overly sensitive and silly the left insists on being regarding racial identity politics.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 11:38 PM
Philly Pholly

The only thing missing from their renderings is a sea of parking like from a suburban shopping center where this thing is landing from. This is their demographics. As vanilla as it comes. That doesn't mean it won't be successful. If it weren't for the planned residential towers this project kind o' sucks.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 12:29 AM

Quote:

Aesthetically, it is looking like shit. But that doesn't mean it is destined to fail. I'm just hoping with enough glass to open to the street, enough bright lights to distract from the shitty materials, decent tenants, and the increased residential from the good-looking East Market project (and maybe towers above this), it can be a success.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development