HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Feb 3, 2013, 2:10 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota74 View Post
Its great for the photography section that you are leaving Texas,looking forward to more threads.....I thought this was an old thread when I saw it was at page four,seems
like your photos stir up interest and conversation.......its all good.
It's because this has become the unofficial photoLith is moving to Pittsburgh thread, toyota74!

Seriously though, I agree with you that the photo threads are better off with him having an opportunity to do threads on so many places near here. I've definitely posted several threads since I've lived here, but let's face it, my shots aren't nearly as good!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 2:51 AM
World Class City

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayitaintso View Post
Eh

Sorry Pitt just doesn't have the density to consider it a true city
What a dumb ass comment...You have no idea. Truly, you do not. spend sometime getting acquainted with information about a city before posting something so stupid. It really shows your ignorance and lack of credibility.

Asshole!

And by the way Lith, you're photos rock! You had a great tour guide, I hope to see more of your work. Keep spreading the word about Pittsburgh, It is an incredible city, rich with history, great examples of architecture, green spaces, and so much more. I moved to Phoenix years ago thinking that because it was the 5th largest city in the US that it would blow Pittsburgh away, and after 3 years i was dying to come back. Its the authenticity that i missed the most. You've captured that in your pictures but you havent even begun to scratch the surface. Hopefully you will be able to spend more time here and really get to know it. Heck, move here, this city could use someone like you. Thats the thing about Pittsburgh, if you have a gift to share and you want to get involved to help the city improve, doors will made wide open for you and you can quickly make a name for yourself. Keep us posted on your next visit.

Last edited by East Edge; Feb 4, 2013 at 3:03 AM.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 4:35 PM

No reason to insult the dude or threaten to ban him. He is right to a small degree. Some Pittsburgh neighborhoods are not very dense due to the topography. Even in the city you can run into some awkward areas of low density. Pittsburgh is different from most other cities in the way it was built and the influence of topography. In Pittsburgh there are dense neighborhood pockets bordered by low dense park land or hills. Yet it's suburbs have dense towns (although some are in shitty shape) stretching along all three rivers where the steel mills that built the metro where located. Pittsburgh is still dense but in a unique way based on topography. It has many incredible dense neighborhoods that are as compact as east coast cities as well as places that feel like West Virginia. I don't what a "true city" is, but that just sounds retarded to say Pittsburgh doesn't make one.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 4:51 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Edge View Post

Keep us posted on your next visit.
Im moving there in less than a week.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 5:07 PM
Red October standing by

Quote:
You've proven it by your own pics. Mostly rolling hills and the type of spread out large singles you'd see in exurbs. Sorry by definition a city is dense. You pictures prove a lack of density and therefore a lack of the true city dynamic.

I mean, come on LA is more dense! Can you get more sprawl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Also moderators don't delete his posts or mine, I would like him to be duely corrected in his ignorance.
yeah, trolls are annoying and insulting but can be humorous.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 10:29 PM
Ex Houstonian

DSC_0624 by photolitherland, on Flickr

Forgot to add this one to the beginning of the thread.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 10:37 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Cut it out, man! You're making me almost want to move back!!!

Oh, and I agree about the asinine comment by sayitaintso. Pittsburgh's population density is roughly 5,300 people per square mile. How is that not dense enough?! Is he going to suggest that Phoenix is more of a city based on density? I have news for him. Pittsburgh, while it may be only a fraction of the size of Phoenix, has twice the density as Phoenix. While Phoenix houses over 1.4 million residents, its density is only about 2,700 persons per square mile, according to the US Census...

Has he even been to Pittsburgh? Has he taken a walk down Carson Street or Penn Avenue?

Last edited by Jonboy1983; Feb 4, 2013 at 11:02 PM. Reason: added commentary

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 10:53 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
Where do you live now? Philly?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 11:19 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubicalRebel View Post
No reason to insult the dude or threaten to ban him. He is right to a small degree. Some Pittsburgh neighborhoods are not very dense due to the topography. Even in the city you can run into some awkward areas of low density. Pittsburgh is different from most other cities in the way it was built and the influence of topography. In Pittsburgh there are dense neighborhood pockets bordered by low dense park land or hills. Yet it's suburbs have dense towns (although some are in shitty shape) stretching along all three rivers where the steel mills that built the metro where located. Pittsburgh is still dense but in a unique way based on topography. It has many incredible dense neighborhoods that are as compact as east coast cities as well as places that feel like West Virginia. I don't what a "true city" is, but that just sounds retarded to say Pittsburgh doesn't make one.
I generally agree with you, CubicalRebel. Pittsburgh has VERY dense areas surrounded by far less dense areas because of topography. But that isn't what that guy was implying. He seemed to act like Pittsburgh has no density and isn't a real city, whatever the hell that is.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 11:21 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy1983 View Post
Cut it out, man! You're making me almost want to move back!!!

Oh, and I agree about the asinine comment by sayitaintso. Pittsburgh's population density is roughly 5,300 people per square mile. How is that not dense enough?! Is he going to suggest that Phoenix is more of a city based on density? I have news for him. Pittsburgh, while it may be only a fraction of the size of Phoenix, has twice the density as Phoenix. While Phoenix houses over 1.4 million residents, its density is only about 2,700 persons per square mile, according to the US Census...

Has he even been to Pittsburgh? Has he taken a walk down Carson Street or Penn Avenue?
The density isn't necessarily that high in terms of the entirety of the city, but given how much of the land is simply not buildable due to topography in combination with a number of very large parks, I'd say it's a heck of a lot more of a dense built environment than the relatively moderate actual density numbers would indicate.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 4:22 AM
World Class City

I think our topography is one of the things i love about Pittsburgh the most. It gives it more of a old world feel than your typical flat city. Not only is it cool to look down from the different vantage points buts its cool to look up and see houses, churches and high-rises crawl up the hillsides.

I selfishly wouldnt mind a few more skyscrapers though. I think this will happen over the years, there are still some possible spots downtown along the allegheny or near Consol Energy Center. Not huge towers but just enough to add some more dimension / diversity to the skyline. All in good time, the new PNC tower may spawn some more large scale development.

Glad to hear youre making the move Lith!! Keep those pics coming. Have you ever been to Grandview Park in Allentown? I love the vantage point from up there when the sun sets in the summer. All of the buildings and rivers turn all shades of colors and the lights start glimmering. Its magic.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 1:48 PM
Registered Ugly

Very well done. Welcome to (the edge of) the Midwest. Don't forget about our neck of the woods when you're scouting places to shoot.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 7:30 PM
Universal Traveler

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post

DSC_0624 by photolitherland, on Flickr

Forgot to add this one to the beginning of the thread.
Spectacular shot, photoLith! Thank you.

I´d love to enjoy views like that in my city, but it is not as pretty and hasn´t the orography of Pittsburgh. I congratulate you for this amazing shot. Fantastic job!

Greetings from Madrid, Spain!

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 9:35 PM

Yikes! Such outrage based on statistical fact and my own application of how density creates an urban feel. Are we banning others thoughts and ideas? Are we not allowed to disagree?

These pictures clearly support the FACT that Pitt ISN'T as dense as LA (look it up).

I happen to believe that the single most important factor for judging the characteristics of the traditional city is density. And no Houston and LA are definitely not your classic traditional city. But if LA is more dense than Pitt what does that tell you? Boston-yes, very comparable to Pitt in terms of population & area but very different in terms of density.

And yes I have been to all the cities mentioned and many more including yours. It's nice but.... never-mind I'm afraid to speak my mind for fear of being accosted. Hope you don't treat everyone who disagrees with you this way. Nice photo set by the way. Pittsburgh is pretty. Maybe that's the problem.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 9:54 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Just go away, dude. This is a freaking photo thread, not a thread about density, about other cities, about anything else. It's a PHOTO THREAD, and let's keep it generally to that topic, please.

Thank you.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 9:58 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Yikes! Such outrage based on statistical fact and my own application of how density creates an urban feel. Are we banning others thoughts and ideas? Are we not allowed to disagree?

These pictures clearly support the FACT that Pitt ISN'T as dense as LA (look it up).

I happen to believe that the single most important factor for judging the characteristics of the traditional city is density. And no Houston and LA are definitely not your classic traditional city. But if LA is more dense than Pitt what does that tell you? Boston-yes, very comparable to Pitt in terms of population & area but very different in terms of density.

And yes I have been to all the cities mentioned and many more including yours. It's nice but.... never-mind I'm afraid to speak my mind for fear of being accosted. Hope you don't treat everyone who disagrees with you this way. Nice photo set by the way. Pittsburgh is pretty. Maybe that's the problem.
You are an ass, that is all.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 1:59 AM

Quote:

So you are comparing a mid-sized city to America's second largest city in regards to density and then conclude it isn't a "traditional city"? You don't consider architecture, urban lay-out, topography in the mix? You just compare two completely different metro regions largely built in completely different decades on a apples to apples basis? Then may I ask, why inject Houston in the argument when it is far less dense than Pittsburgh? Where did your ripe intellect travel to? Monroeville? Your thoughts on what makes a traditional city but leaving Pittsburgh out proved you're an imbecile. Sad to hear that you already classify all those other uniquely badass cities out there even less dense than Pittsburgh. I'm sure they won't need somebody of your intelligence to visit anyways. Stick with your "traditionally dense" cities whatever that means.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 2:57 AM

don't feed the FOOL

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 8:53 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:

LA is the most dense city in the country. Why would you feel the need to bring up the fact that it is denser than the 23rd largest US metro? Nobody made any claims that it was. You make no sense. No one is banning your thoughts or your ass would be gone. You specifically said Pitt is not a dense city which is factually wrong.
Try not to make false statements if you don't want people to call you out on your wrongness. Do you always get "offended" when dozens of people from all over the country call out your misinformation in a thread?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 5:17 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Stunning pics of an urban gem. Can't wait to see your takes on all the cities which will be within you reach Lith. Thanks for the tour.

btw, I wonder if LA is considered a city if compared to the Walled City of Kowloon?
Just asking.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos