HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:09 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
Things could be different 5 years from now. Those who will inhabit Metropolis and LA Central (imagine all the wealthy Asians) strike me as the type that patron boutiques like Louis Vuitton and Gucci, especially the former.

Come to think of it, it's probably Louis Vuitton. They opened up a boutique at freaking Hollywood and Highland. Is it still there?
Perhaps, but wealthy asians aren't necessarily looking to buy Louis Vuitton anymore. The brand has become saturated in China, and now they face declining sales as consumers want a less ubiquitous handbag.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...2a4_story.html

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
Things could be different 5 years from now. Those who will inhabit Metropolis and LA Central (imagine all the wealthy Asians) strike me as the type that patron boutiques like Louis Vuitton and Gucci, especially the former.
From the store's perspective, what would be the incentive to commit now instead of in several years? The retail price per sqft in Downtown still seems a bit aspirational to me. It could come down

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
There are other high end designers besides the ones you find on Rodeo. Listening to the rumors, Gucci made sense to me because of their new brand direction, and having a store in a hip, youthful neighborhood like Downtown would help push that vision, but now I've been told that they were just that - rumors. Prada seems odd, as they've been hemorrhaging money recently due to the one-two punch of over expansion and declining profits, making me think that they wouldn't take a risk like having a downtown location. I could see Saint Laurent opening downtown if only because the atelier is based in Los Angeles and the brand is now basically rooted in Los Angeles youth subcultures, but there are already three Saint Laurent stores in LA and a fourth would seem to me like stretching too thin.

I don't feel like any single designer boutique at that price range would be able to survive in downtown if they had another store in LA. Acne works because 1) they aren't that high end comparatively and specialize in relatively cheap jeans and 2) because they are the only store in LA making them a regional draw. I think that whatever opens up in the Broadway Trade Center will be relatively niche and unique to LA. And even if a traditional luxury retailer does decide to set up shop downtown for whatever reason, I'm not sure that would be a good thing. The market just doesn't exist for Louis Vuitton handbags or Hermes scarves downtown. The type of people that buy designer downtown aren't the type of people to buy *that* type of designer. Sure, the store would be on Broadway, but if no one uses it, does it really matter?
Yo. You're really into this stuff. Nice analysis.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:19 PM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alki View Post
Yo. You're really into this stuff. Nice analysis.
Thanks! As probably the only person on SSP who keeps up with fashion on a day to day basis (though maybe not, who knows!), I do what I can to add a different perspective to all these retail discussions.

Personally, I'd like to see LA based designers on Broadway, especially now that LA is becoming more of a global fashion powerhouse. Nothing would make me happier than if someone like Rodarte decided to plunk down their first boutique on Broadway.

Old Posted Today, 2:35 AM

^^^ I agree Illithid Dude Completely !

Somebody complained that people spent 3 pages talking about the possibility of the Olympics returning. Now to change the tone we have spent the last 2-3 pages talking about a ghost store on broadway and guessing about what it will be, All while some say " I know what it is, but ill never tell" LOL come on now. it isn't that serious. Let me throw my guess in the bag as well since we are going that route. I think Willy Wonka is finally opening an urban chocolate factory on Broadway, in the Broadway Trade Center building to be exact, and hes bringing in the oompa loompas to man the facility and to give tours.

Yes, I'm being sarcastic obviously, but IMO we shouldn't be praising a European store for deciding to take on Broadway, BIG WHOOP. How much precious foot traffic will a luxury $$$$ store actually bring to downtown ? when there are already other better suitable options in surrounding areas. I, IMO, would rather have Broadway lined with new/Fresh/ LA startups/ Regional stores unique to LA. All of these "luxury stores" are already on the west side, in the valley and in orange country. Making downtown a generic copy cat with its retail wont make it successful. Making it unique and different from everything that's already saturated around it will.

Last edited by caligrad; Today at 2:47 AM.

Old Posted Today, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
^^^ I agree Illithid Dude Completely !

Somebody complained that people spent 3 pages talking about the possibility of the Olympics returning. Now to change the tone we have spent the last 2-3 pages talking about a ghost store on broadway and guessing about what it will be, All while some say " I know what it is, but ill never tell" LOL come on now. it isn't that serious. Let me throw my guess in the bag as well since we are going that route. I think Willy Wonka is finally opening an urban chocolate factory on Broadway, in the Broadway Trade Center building to be exact, and hes bringing in the oompa loompas to man the facility and to give tours.

Yes, I'm being sarcastic obviously, but IMO we shouldn't be praising a European store for deciding to take on Broadway, BIG WHOOP. How much precious foot traffic will a luxury $$$$ store actually bring to downtown ? when there are already other better suitable options in surrounding areas. I, IMO, would rather have Broadway lined with new/Fresh/ LA startups/ Regional stores unique to LA. All of these "luxury stores" are already on the west side, in the valley and in orange country. Making downtown a generic copy cat with its retail wont make it successful. Making it unique and different from everything that's already saturated around it will.
While my preferences are for more independent shops in terms of where I like to shop, perhaps the cache of a LV or Prada would finally unstick Broadway in terms of redevelopment. Between an Apple and one of these we might finally see a lot more progress on Broadway.

Old Posted Today, 5:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brudy View Post
While my preferences are for more independent shops in terms of where I like to shop, perhaps the cache of a LV or Prada would finally unstick Broadway in terms of redevelopment. Between an Apple and one of these we might finally see a lot more progress on Broadway.
Yeah I can accept Apple since its a California based company anyway. Hell i'll even allow Microsoft to open one of their odd stores on Broadway. I just feel we sometimes put way to much emphasis on Broadway needing Luxury European( fill in the blank ________), in order for Broadway to be relevant, where as I think its becoming relevant without them.

But I see what you're saying about how it can create a draw for developers to ramp up development. I just want a Broadway that is more representative of LA and California culture as a whole rather then dropping tourists off in the heart of downtown to be greeted with generic brands, generic luxury brands at that, something they can see elsewhere and even perhaps close their hometown.

Old Posted Today, 7:03 AM

I'm always concerned that any major retail endeavor in dtla, but particularly on broadway, will be jumping the gun, in which an ambitious effort is set up in the midst of a location that still lacks enough of the crucial ingredient most stores depend upon: lots & lots...& lots....of women shoppers with plenty of credit cards or cash in their purse. Such potential clients tend to be the most concerned about the cleanness & niceness of the overall setting where they're shopping, personal safety, & easy, convenient access.

broadway, slowly but surely, is moving up the ladder & is inching closer to being the type of environment where that prime type of shopper is comfortable in. But for now a more pure entertainment type of business, which draws in couples or groups of ppl instead of mainly single shoppers, may be the better first step. Whatever the case, the more the merrier....

Quote:
The 102-year-old Globe Theater downtown came back to life last night after a renovation that city officials hope will bring nightlife back to Broadway. Councilmember José Huizar told the crowd gathered for the ribbon-cutting that owner Erik Chol performed much of the restoration work himself by climbing inside a cherry picker and “putting in sweat equity to make it just right.” The event was co-hosted by the Los Angeles Historic Theater Foundation.

Originally opened as an elegant playhouse called the Morosco, the space was designed by Morgan, Walls, and Clements – the architectural firm that would go on to design the Mayan, Wiltern, and El Capitan theaters. The vast hall remained a playhouse for 17 years, became a newsreel theater during the depression, and showed movies from 1941-1986. A swap meet conversion after that did some major aesthetic damage that Chol’s team has turned around nicely.

Last night’s opening was all bottle service and cirque performers, but the theater’s website promises “Artists, actors, and acrobats” in the “magical space” which will also be available to rent for “high-end clubbing, fashion shows, filming, corporate/private events, live concerts, birthdays, and charity events.”

So who knows what event you’ll have to cross the velvet rope for? If you get a chance to visit, it is a beautiful space that’s been greatly improved. Hopefully the next grand opening on Broadway will be for Clifton’s Cafeteria.

lamag.com, chris nichols, wendell benedetti

[B]

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations