HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 2, 2015, 5:25 PM

I've always found that Ritz to be far below the standard that other Ritz hotels set. Hopefully the new management company will throw some money at capital improvements.

Old Posted May 2, 2015, 7:16 PM
Desert Urbanite

West Fillmore Redevelopment Request for Proposals

The City of Phoenix released its West Fillmore Redevelopment Request for Proposals a few days ago. The 7.6 acre site sits between Fillmore, north of Van Buren, between 4th and 6th Avenues. It used to house a school for homeless kids, and is now a very large piece of vacant paved lot.

The proposal consists of 4 concept plans, each proposing a mix of condos, apartments, affordable housing, commercial and open space. The plan anticipates mid-to-high rise buildings with commercial fronting Fillmore.

Phoenix Business Journal article:
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...-downtown.html

City of Phoenix West Fillmore Redevelopment Request for Proposals:
https://www.phoenix.gov/solicitations/338

Urban Development Concept Plan (PDF):
https://www.phoenix.gov/financesite/...ept%20Plan.pdf

-Andrew

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 11:21 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
The Cactus Bowl is returning to Downtown Phoenix, for at least 3 years, to give more time for Sun Devil Stadium construction. Should be a nice boost for downtown retailers I suppose:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ng-chase-field

In semi-related news, Tucson/UofA are trying to bring another bowl game to AZ. The new "Arizona Bowl" featuring the Mountain West vs Conference USA:

http://cronkitenewsonline.com/2015/0...te-of-arizona/

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 11:52 PM

Union and Portland place

I know the both had there ground breaking ceremony! Has either one started a any construction at all? what about the new Luhrs Hotel?

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 12:40 AM

Could be purely speculation, but some nice news for Midtown if it happens...

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...-for-park.html

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
Could be purely speculation, but some nice news for Midtown if it happens...

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...-for-park.html
I am glad they are looking at this. They have so much land there and one of the proposals (I think it was called Edison) is for an 8-story luxury condo building directly across the street. They have a great advantage of having so much land that they can build lots of residential to support the retail/entertainment they may look to add. Doubt a City Target will happen though. Great for midtown!

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 5:38 PM
skyscrapers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
I am glad they are looking at this. They have so much land there and one of the proposals (I think it was called Edison) is for an 8-story luxury condo building directly across the street. They have a great advantage of having so much land that they can build lots of residential to support the retail/entertainment they may look to add. Doubt a City Target will happen though. Great for midtown!
To make that area truly urban, Central would need to be made more pedestrian friendly. There are so many dead zones along Central. Crossing the street can be a deathmatch. I understand that light rail transformed Central from a six lane street to a four lane street, but it is still too auto centric. I would propose lowering the speed limit on Central to 30 MPH and taking away the curb lane either for a protected bike lane or parallel parking all the way from downtown to Camelback. Install HAWK signals and speed tables.

It's hard to get excited about the prospect of multi story apartments and urban style box stores in an area that's not actually pedestrian or bike friendly. It's kind of like Houston and Atlanta where there are shiny new high rises everywhere and urban Targets, yet the areas are still dependent on auto traffic.

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 6:20 PM

They tore down the McDonald's on the SWC of 7th St and McDowell. Probably just to rebuild a better one.

There is also a proposal for the vacant small office building near the SWC of 3rd st and Monte Vista to renovate it into a 3 unit residential "duplex". The rendering isn't all that great but returning even one office building back to residential in that historic area is a win.

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoboy61 View Post
To make that area truly urban, Central would need to be made more pedestrian friendly. There are so many dead zones along Central. Crossing the street can be a deathmatch. I understand that light rail transformed Central from a six lane street to a four lane street, but it is still too auto centric. I would propose lowering the speed limit on Central to 30 MPH and taking away the curb lane either for a protected bike lane or parallel parking all the way from downtown to Camelback. Install HAWK signals and speed tables.

It's hard to get excited about the prospect of multi story apartments and urban style box stores in an area that's not actually pedestrian or bike friendly. It's kind of like Houston and Atlanta where there are shiny new high rises everywhere and urban Targets, yet the areas are still dependent on auto traffic.
The fact that Midtown was built in such a faux-urban style is why there's so much opportunity for redevelopment - office-to-apartment conversions, ground level renovations to include retail, building out surface parking lots, etc. I totally agree that Midtown is pretty hostile as a pedestrian environment right now, but much of that is because there isn't much of a 'there' there. It has a few cool restaurants and bars but they're all scattered along the stretch of Central, so there's really no catalyst for foot traffic. It would help the pedestrian experience if there were nodes of restaurants, bars, shops.

Unfortunately, I can't see the City ever giving away any more of the ROW for things like parallel parking. I think business owners are still not pleased about the impact light rail had during construction and I imagine they weren't much in favor of reducing the travel lanes. So, making it more conducive to walking is going to need to come from redevelopment projects that hopefully provide large sidewalks, plenty of shade, etc.

I actually think Midtown could really function well as the urban residential core. Most major cities have CBD's that are separate from the majority of actual city neighborhoods. Phoenix's attempt at making the CBD into a liveable area makes selling an urban lifestyle much harder, since the goals of residents completely clashes with those of bar/club owners, for example. If the main CBD became the cultural, entertainment, commerce and civic center of the City and Midtown the residential and shopping, I think both would complement each really well instead of playing an endless game of poaching each others' law firms to fill up their towers.

Anyway, it would be great to see new residential projects built, and for more struggling offices to consider converting. The idea of WVB ever becoming the shopping center it's zoned to be is pretty unrealistic... I think a Midtown with a larger population would work much better. There is just so much more space to both build out the big box stores and to provide the amount of parking needed for them to be successful in an urban setting.

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
I actually think Midtown could really function well as the urban residential core. Most major cities have CBD's that are separate from the majority of actual city neighborhoods. Phoenix's attempt at making the CBD into a liveable area makes selling an urban lifestyle much harder, since the goals of residents completely clashes with those of bar/club owners, for example. If the main CBD became the cultural, entertainment, commerce and civic center of the City and Midtown the residential and shopping, I think both would complement each really well instead of playing an endless game of poaching each others' law firms to fill up their towers.
Very good point. I agree, very exciting prospects.

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 7:50 PM

As someone who has worked in Midtown since 1997, I agree with you completely Jjs5056.

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 7:57 PM

"College football playoff events, ESPN landing in downtown Phoenix"
May 5, 2015 by Mike Sunnucks, Phoenix Business Journal
Quote:
Downtown Phoenix will host fan festivals and concerts in the run up to the College Football Playoff Championship Game in January.

ESPN, which based broadcasts in Scottsdale when the Valley hosted Super Bowl XLIX, will also locate its base downtown for the CFB game Jan. 11

Just like the with the Super Bowl, events will be held at the Phoenix Convention Center and the parking lot in between Cityscape and Collier Center.
Woot Woot
A hearty toast to Mayor Stanton and all who helped to accomplish this.

per i.chzbgr.com

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
"College football playoff events, ESPN landing in downtown Phoenix"
May 5, 2015 by Mike Sunnucks, Phoenix Business Journal

Woot Woot
A hearty toast to Mayor Stanton and all who helped to accomplish this.
This was expected but glad to see it announced. Also, great news that ESPN will be in downtown versus Scottsdale Fashion Square during SB. Of course, it was out of ESPN's hands but still...

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoboy61 View Post
To make that area truly urban, Central would need to be made more pedestrian friendly.
Totally agree. This would go a long ways to stimulate the kind of development/redevelopment that Jjs5056 describes creating an awesome urban area.

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 8:28 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
The idea of WVB ever becoming the shopping center it's zoned to be is pretty unrealistic... I think a Midtown with a larger population would work much better. There is just so much more space to both build out the big box stores and to provide the amount of parking needed for them to be successful in an urban setting.
Yes, the idea of making West Van Buren into a retail district, currently written into the general plan, is completely unrealistic. Putting in some new retail in a redesigned Park Central with a more urban, street-focused emphasis is more likely to succeed. That's not to say we shouldn't pursue any retail Downtown, but what goes in south of I-10 will be more fine-grained.

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 11:28 PM

And so it goes....

"EXCLUSIVE: Comerica moving HQ from downtown Phoenix"
May 5, 2015 by Eric Jay Toll, Phoenix Business Journal
Quote:
Comerica Bank is moving its Arizona headquarters closer to its customer base, leaving its home at 1 North Central Ave. location in September. The bank is moving into 16,000 square feet on the first floor of the Biltmore Commerce Center, on the northeast corner of 32nd Street and Camelback Road.

The bank is keeping its downtown branch at Washington Street and Central Avenue, but its upper-floor headquarters team of 40 will relocate to the new location.
Interesting (to me) is that this building was recently sold by some Denver investors who had updated the building. Chances are this (likely) move was known by the buyer.

Doesn't seem all that long ago that downtown Denver would lose out to a similar area as the Camelback corridor or to the suburban Denver Tech Center/SE corridor. Over the last few weeks/months several notable moves from the suburbs back to downtown have been announced: Transamerica, a law firm, Molson Coors and Liberty Global.

Things can and do change.

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepstein View Post
I know the both had there ground breaking ceremony! Has either one started a any construction at all? what about the new Luhrs Hotel?
Funny how you criticized others in the Central Station thread saying "This tower will never get built you clearly must not follow news on here! we will be lucky to get a 5 story apt building in 10 years" then you ask a question that has already been answered in this very thread several times. You clearly do not follow the news on here.

If only there were a smilie that could talk out of both sides of its mouth...

All these have all broken ground.

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 4:42 AM
Modulator

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Funny how you criticized others in the Central Station thread saying "This tower will never get built you clearly must not follow news on here! we will be lucky to get a 5 story apt building in 10 years" then you ask a question that has already been answered in this very thread several times. You clearly do not follow the news on here.

If only there were a smilie that could talk out of both sides of its mouth...

All these have all broken ground.
Not only have they broken ground, they are rockin'! Checked out some sites today. Portland has TONS of equipment on the ground and I bet a tower crane will appear very soon!

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 3:31 PM

Drove by the Alta Filmore site this morning. Demolition is happening. What a nice way to create an entrance to the Filmore redevelopment area the City put an RFP out for by building a gated community on 7th....

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Yes, the idea of making West Van Buren into a retail district, currently written into the general plan, is completely unrealistic. Putting in some new retail in a redesigned Park Central with a more urban, street-focused emphasis is more likely to succeed. That's not to say we shouldn't pursue any retail Downtown, but what goes in south of I-10 will be more fine-grained.
Exactly. I think the Roosevelt Row area will continue to grow and attract residential development, and with that will come more boutiques, book stores, vintage shops, etc. But, if there were ever going to be a true shopping district downtown with brands like Target, Marshalls, HomeGoods, etc. it would have been between Jefferson and Washington, from 3rd St - 1st Ave. With a larger residential component, those lots had the space for the floorplates needed to accommodate such stores. And, if built correctly, it would've been right in the center of government, sports/entertainment, office, and historic buildings. But, Colliers and CityScape pretty much sealed the deal on that chance.

In addition to the lack of space, it will take years for downtown to achieve the residential density needed to support those kind of stores since it's surrounded by neighborhoods that will struggle to revitalize. Midtown already has several residential towers along Central and is convenient for almost every central Phoenix neighborhood to access, including several historic and wealthy ones.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest