HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Sep 15, 2008, 4:13 PM
self-important urbanista

The catenary wires don't bother me because 1) they're lower than typical overhead utility lines and therefore don't block views of the horizon as much 2) I see them as a symbol of much needed progress.

As for palms, I think we've overemphasized palms in Phoenix. They're attractive and provide a nice tropical look, but they offer minimal shade. In some areas where palms have been removed, they're going to be replaced with trees that provide more protection from the sun. The trees may not be native, but neither are palms, so I'll opt for the shade.

On a related note, has anyone seen what Westcor has done with Paradise Valley Mall? The tall, mature trees on the southwest corner of the property have all been taken out and replaced with palms. Westcor says it wants to create an outdoor plaza for events, but wouldn't that plaza be better with some shade?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2008, 5:51 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
On a related note, has anyone seen what Westcor has done with Paradise Valley Mall? The tall, mature trees on the southwest corner of the property have all been taken out and replaced with palms. Westcor says it wants to create an outdoor plaza for events, but wouldn't that plaza be better with some shade?
That whole PV Mall renovation is really gross. They've ripped out all the mature trees in the entire area (including the surrounding strip centers) and are repainting everything and replacing it with less water using plants. I'm fine with the idea of desert plants, but it just seems like a huge waste of money at this point to go through all that labor, especially since itll be quite a while before the new plants mature. I was initially excited when I heard they were redoing the whole area, I thought maybe the were going to infill some of the huge parking lots and reimpose the street system onto the mall area, sadly we've had no such luck. Its purely a visual change.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2008, 6:21 PM

I love the overhead lines. Looking at downtown with the buildings, traffic and wires, it looks very congested and urban. I love that look.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2008, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classical in Phoenix View Post
I love the overhead lines. Looking at downtown with the buildings, traffic and wires, it looks very congested and urban. I love that look.
Same here. It actually looks like a city!

Old Posted Sep 15, 2008, 7:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
That whole PV Mall renovation is really gross. They've ripped out all the mature trees in the entire area (including the surrounding strip centers) and are repainting everything and replacing it with less water using plants. I'm fine with the idea of desert plants, but it just seems like a huge waste of money at this point to go through all that labor, especially since itll be quite a while before the new plants mature. I was initially excited when I heard they were redoing the whole area, I thought maybe the were going to infill some of the huge parking lots and reimpose the street system onto the mall area, sadly we've had no such luck. Its purely a visual change.
A key factor was improving the visibility from the roads for the retailers.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2008, 7:41 PM

Large mature trees really don't need a specific watering system, so I don't buy the fact that they are using less water by ripping them out and planting water-conscious trees.

Mature trees typically have a serious root system and find their own water. To get new trees established they are going to have to water them quite a bit.

Plus, I don't understand the thought process... pretend they have been watering the trees for decades... only to rip them out. To me, that is the ultimate waste of water. It's like spending millions of gallons of water through the years for absolutely nothing once you rip them out. I can understand planting low-water desert type trees for an initial planting, instead of more leafy non-desert trees... that makes sense. But ripping out what is already there for desert type trees is the ultimate waste.

Eh, the whole reason they are doing it isn't for the conservation of water... it's just a re-branding of the mall, hoping to draw in more customers.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 3:26 AM
self-important urbanista

Getting back to transit (Yes, I know I'm the one who took us off topic.), here's a photo of a light rail car doing a test run today at Central & Adams. There's a crazy street preacher who is always at that corner, and it was surreal hearing him rant as I watched the rail car move up Central.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 7:49 PM

Poll: Is the world, as we know it, coming to an end?

1 YES

2 NO

3 (obligatory ranting street preachers' option) IT HAS ALREADY ENDED AND NO ONE NOTICED

Old Posted Sep 17, 2008, 10:01 AM

I kind of like the preacher, he adds character; plus he's harmless.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 3:39 AM

September 17, 2008 by Lyle Plocher comment
A big celebration was held Downtown to mark the 100 days until launch milestone.

Also, in celebration of METRO light rail’s 100-day milestone (today), METRO will give away 100, three-day transit passes to Valley residents. One winner will be selected for every day; winners will be drawn weekly until the system’s grand opening on December 27, 2008.

Starting Friday, September 19, interested individuals may download an entry form at www.metrolightrail.org/100day or pick one up at the METRO office. Completed entry forms or business cards can be returned in person or mailed to the METRO office. Only one entry per household permitted. The METRO office is located at 101 N 1st Ave, 13th Floor, Phoenix, AZ 85003.

Finally, if you would like to see extended hours for the Light Rail, beyond Midight, Make your voice heard Thursday, September 18 at 9:00am on the 12th Floor of City Hall in the Subcommittee Room at the Transportation and Infrastructure Subcommittee meeting. The possibility of extended hours for the new METRO Light Rail on special events and weekends will be discussed. The current hours of light rail operation (4 am - midnight) have been approved to coincide with other regional modes of public transit. Many citizens concerns include: safe transport for late-night workers, potential reduction in DUIs, and building a truly vibrant downtown nightlife.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 3:47 AM

I was about to post that as well, but in it's own thread to get attention to it. Here is another article urging people to show up...so if you have time at 9am tomorrow, get down there!

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/upo...nesters_wa.php

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 6:43 AM

Brilliant idea, hold a 9am meeting to solicit what concerns/needs the Phoenician night owls might have.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 6:44 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Anyone have a good guess as to how long a meeting like that usually goes? Every city meeting Ive ever been to seems to take forever. I have to be to Sky Harbor at 10:15AM to pick a friend up, so I think going to the meeting may screw me over in that regard.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 6:44 AM

Very interesting... I might just try to show up...

Although I'm not a "let my voice be heard person", I'd make the point that 4-12a is decent for weekday commuting (even though 5am-1am makes more sense... which commuter gets to work at 4:30 or even as early as 5?), but for Thurs-Saturday, or at the very least Fri-Saturday, there is much less of a need for commuters and much more of a need for safe modes of late night transportation. Switching from 6-2am makes all the sense in the world. It would probably get much more ridership on the weekends, and it would help ease drunk driving crashes/DUIs.

Only fucking tools and squares don't understand this or would be opposed.

I'm pretty happy they are at least realizing the need and the fact that they are letting people support the discussion.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 5:01 PM
BANNED

just returned home from the meeting. Basically, the whole thing is a budgeting concern, however, METRO has not looked at anything along the lines of budgeting except what it will cost them to stay open an additional 2 hours on fri/sat nights (350K per year including all related police and safety costs.) Someone brought up a good point of looking at the lost revenue of the people who will just say fuck it im gonna go to old town its easier. They are as of this point not entertaining staying open late on weeknights. Councilman Simplot wanted to know why it would start so early on sat/sun mornings and indicated maybe it could stay open later and stay closed later. The chariman of Downtown Phoenix Voices was an absolute schmuck, and had no facts, did no homework, and made a terrible argument on our behalf.

The meeting was not what I though, but I did think some people are going to look at it more indepth. Vice Mayor asked for a full cost analysis including increased costs versus income at local businesses and lowered cost of enforcing DUI laws, assuming that 5% of drunk drivers now stay off the road. They will then meet again to discuss that data....

gotta love the long process.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Vandercook View Post
Councilman Simplot wanted to know why it would start so early on sat/sun mornings and indicated maybe it could stay open later and stay closed later.
Let's hope Simplot can persuade them, his idea is precisely my idea (and anyone with a brain). The METRO people are fucking idiots for even considering opening the system that early on Sat/Sun. Shit, if it is a budget thing, the FIRST thing they should have thought of was having it open 2-3 hours later on the weekends to begin with, even if they still close it at midnight. It's a waste to have it open that early. Damn, who plans these things? Idiot McGee?

Was there any opportunity for public input, besides that Downtown Phoenix Voices schmuck?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 7:09 PM
BANNED

Yes there were asu students and a kid saying he was a concert promoter, the owner of coach and willies as well as a couple others

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 6:08 AM

A New Times article on the meeting:

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/val...nesters_ve.php

The L.A. City Council just approved a motion this week to extend their Metro Red Line hours from 1 a.m. to 3 a.m. on weekends....even with the extra expense, it's a no-brainer for urban rail lines near multiple entertainment venues to have extended hours on weekend nights.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 6:51 PM
self-important urbanista

I'm all in favor of later hours, but not if it means curtailing the early morning hours. A lot of people have said that 4 or 5 AM is too early for weekend service. I'm not sure I agree.

Who prepares and serves breakfast at places like Matt's, First Watch, Palatte, etc?

Who cleans guest rooms at the Hyatt, Wyndham, Sheraton, etc.?

Who checks in passengers and handes luggage at the Airport?

These are all groups of workers who may be scheduled on weekends and often have early shifts. They may need to start work at 6 AM on a Saturday or Sunday, and our transit network needs to serve their needs -- especially since many in these job categories may be transit-dependent. Let's not forget about the needs of those who depend on transit in an attempt to attract discretionary users.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 8:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post

Who prepares and serves breakfast at places like Matt's, First Watch, Palatte, etc?

Who cleans guest rooms at the Hyatt, Wyndham, Sheraton, etc.?

Who checks in passengers and handes luggage at the Airport?
ooh ooh ooh ooh me me me!

Mexicans?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest