HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art

Old Posted Feb 18, 2013, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
This beta was apparently a low-graphics version, so the clarity of the graphics will be improved on the final released.

It's fun to play but it's not realistic. If the city tiles in the actual released games are bigger I might consider it, though. It's definitely more fun than SimCity4, but not as detailed. It's more for a recreational player than a dedicated one.

The way the city is just kind of an offshoot from an interstate really bothers me.
I think you hit the nail on the head vid. It's definitely more for the recreational player. I think the older games were more adept at appealing to the city planning and architecture geeks like us. Especially with near immediate modding capabilities.

One criticism of the game that really bothered me was that I struggled to plan ahead exactly what I wanted. I felt I had to make big commitments on roads and services placement early on. What if I wanted a double-loaded block of brick walk-ups? There was no way for me to gauge like SC4 where rowhouses were 2x1 or tall apartment buildings were 2x2 high density. Everything just seemed arbitrary and random.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2013, 7:33 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

Yeah. At least stuff would be replaced by higher densities as the area developed. It was Cities XL that sucked the most on this issue, because of the inconsistent sizes of roads and difficulty rezoning areas.

I know its not a gameplay feature that many here care about, but I am bummed by the apparent lack of player created freeways. Instead highways are generated on new maps as part of a regional transportation system that can't be altered, or something like that.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2013, 8:15 PM
I am a typical

I started the city I made with just a regular road, and couldn't upgrade it. I would have had to demolish most of the downtown to convert that road into an avenue.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 1:22 AM

Just a few more days. March 5th.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 4:33 AM
TL;DR

How do the buildings respond to the lot configurations? I assume a given building can appear on a rectangular lot AND a wedge-shaped lot, so I guess the site plan/textures are designed to flex?

In Hayward's cities, it does seem like a more urban configuration is possible with brick walkups and such if you stick to a grid layout and generate the right amount of demand. It's a little better than Sim Houston.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 6:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
How do the buildings respond to the lot configurations? I assume a given building can appear on a rectangular lot AND a wedge-shaped lot, so I guess the site plan/textures are designed to flex?

In Hayward's cities, it does seem like a more urban configuration is possible with brick walkups and such if you stick to a grid layout and generate the right amount of demand. It's a little better than Sim Houston.
Buildings run tangent to streets. On concave sides of streets lots can overlap one another but buildings won't.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 6:48 PM
Dare Mighty Things

If there's one positive, I'm listening to the soundtrack to SimCity 5 and the early impression I'm getting is very positive. 2000, 3000 and 4 had truly exceptional game soundtracks that, IMO, had a major role in elevating them far above other management and simulation games. I'm not sure if 5's soundtrack hits the almost untoppable heights of 3000 and 4 - it's actually quite a different sound altogether - but its soundtrack is nonetheless an enjoyable listening experience, and much better than I was expecting.

You can listen to it on Spotify, or I'm sure it's on YouTube as well.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 3:47 AM

SimCity 4 introduced some hip-hop type of tracks that was fitting since it was the first time the game became more realistically urban. 2000 and 3000 building stock representations seemed rather suburban or too west coast. But I did like 3000's soundtrack alot.

2000's was horrible, even noting some limitations of computers at the time. I usually popped in something to that CD-ROM and listened to that instead.

As much as liked the new SimCity soundtrack during the beta, I actually shut it off and played other music in the background. It kind of got in my head.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 2:53 PM
Greetings from New Jersey

Interesting a classic's like these are in the games....

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 8:47 AM
They all float down here

Here's a city I started today. It's already the largest in my online region:

My skyline at night from a neighboring city:

Another skyline shot from another neighboring community:

This is about the farthest neighbor I could see my skyline from (at least where I could tell it was my skyline):

And some street views:

My city has now over 90,000 people and it's growing at a steady pace.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 8:52 PM
Ex Houstonian

So, better than Simcity 4 or less realistic?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2013, 9:39 PM
They all float down here

Well...

It's nothing like SimCity 4. I'd wager it more resembles the early Sim games (SimCity, SimCity 2000 and even SimCity 3000) than anything close to SC4. Still, even SC4 had some major issues when it launched and it only got better with the add-ons, extensions and downloads - so, it's not fair to compare the current incarnate to what SC4 became over the years.

Even so, it's not without some serious flaws. Graphically, it's much more different than SC4 graphically and takes on a more lego-ish approach the closer you are to your city. But that doesn't bother me too much because I still think it's cool once you delve deep into the streets of your city. I also don't see near the repetitiveness you got in SC4 - so, there does appear to be more building diversity.

The biggest complaint so far, though, is the size of your city lots. They're not big at all and because of this, you run out of space rather quickly. As you can see, the entire land area of my city is pretty much used and this was only after a few hours of play. In SC4, you could spend a few years and not fully develop your entire city (let alone a region). EA has said they'll offer larger lots in the future, but I'm guessing it'll cost money to download, unfortunately.

If they do, the game has the potential to be really good. It's not nearly as complex, I think, to build a city and I didn't struggle at the level I did when I first started with SimCity 4 many years ago. The fact you can play in regions online also makes the game more diverse, as each region will grow differently depending on the neighbors - and it finally offers legitimate city rivals, something I think has always been missing from the past SimCity games.

Roads are also different. The entire development of your city is established by what roads you lay - as there are no longer low, medium and high-density tiles and it's all now based on low (dirt), medium and high-density roads. Since all the roads are pretty much the same size, it's much easier to upgrade (or downgrade) a road and change the density level of a neighborhood. I did this in my city as initially, I had a lot of medium-density roads and realized I needed higher-density roads to grow out my city.

Electricity and pipes are also automatically laid with every road, which makes it much easier to connect your city to water and power.

One thing I wish had been done in the game is the area between each city in the region. Because the lots are smaller, your city runs out of space quickly and, as you see in the photos I've posted, there's generally an empty area between your city and a neighboring one in the region. It looks goofy and while I understand limitations, it would've been nice to see some suburban or rural development pop up to make it look semi-realistic. As is, though, you've got a city with large towers that abruptly ends, then an empty area of grass or hills, and then another city with large towers. It looks absolutely awkward.

All in all, it's a completely different game than SC4 ... but I still enjoy it. If they give you bigger lot sizes, I think it'd be far easier to create a more realistic looking city than in SC4 (at least without heavily modding it).

Last edited by Comrade; Mar 6, 2013 at 9:52 PM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 1:52 AM

I had a good gaming experience yesterday. But now it's disconnecting from servers. All the servers say busy. Do not buy this game until EA doubles or triples their server capacity.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 9:00 AM

Surely the biggest concern is what happens when the servers are switched off...

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 2:12 PM
Ex Houstonian

So you cant play this game without the internet? Thats dumb. If thats the case I wont buy it. My freshman and sophomore years of college I probably played Simcity 4 like 5 hours a day, I was addicted to that game. I loved simcity 4 because you could download like any building from the community and create very realistic looking cities with downtowns and boring suburbia. If this game isnt realistic than I dont think I could get into it.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 3:01 PM

This is pretty low even for EA...

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 4:23 PM
Ex Houstonian

Not buying this game, sounds like they sold out. Damn, and Simcity is the only game I have ever played.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Not buying this game, sounds like they sold out. Damn, and Simcity is the only game I have ever played.
You can't sell out of a downloadable game , its typical EA Server shit....there Servers always do this...

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
You can't sell out of a downloadable game , its typical EA Server shit....there Servers always do this...
this is terrible. EA found a way to reuin another good franchise.

Check this scenario for me:
I got the game, waited 15 minutes to find a server. The server crashes and wow I can't even save my city.

The multilayer is awful and the game play is no fun at all.

Cities XL is the best city simulation game there is out there

here's some reviews from users and critics:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/simcity

Note: popular websites gave it an average score of 82/100 - user scores put it more like 2/10.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2013, 8:04 PM
They all float down here

The game itself is pretty fun and I think it'll improve the more downloadable content and modding is available. Right now, though, the server issue sucks. But if you're unsure about buying it, I'd wait until more content and updates are available.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art