HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Aug 10, 2016, 12:47 PM

Great architecture pushes boundaries. I'm not saying that good architecture has to be off-putting to at least a few people to be great, but the fact that it doesn't try to be aesthetically pleasing for all different tastes at the same time is probably a really good thing.

Personally, I love this building. I also love Eviva and Peachtree & 3rd. Since I moved to Atlanta as a child, I was always proud of our skyline when I visited other cities. Between the Phillip Johnson towers, the BoA tower, and yes, even some of the brutalist Portman buildings, we had a signature skyline. But over the past decade, that's been diluted by cookie cutter glass and steel boxes that have sprouted like mushrooms (some good, some "meh").

Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for the density and the development. But I'm glad a few developers are finally returning to the idea of putting a unique stamp on their projects (and the Atlanta skyline as a result).

Old Posted Aug 10, 2016, 2:36 PM

Ascent West Peachtree/Midtown has started.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2016, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
Ascent West Peachtree/Midtown has started.
Yep. Glad to see this one start.
I hope this is the first of a wave of groundbreakings with all of the projects that have been in the pipeline for a while now.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2016, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
Yep. Glad to see this one start.
I hope this is the first of a wave of groundbreakings with all of the projects that have been in the pipeline for a while now.
Well the Land development permit for the AC Hotel/ Moxy Hotel is now issued so that one is likely to start soon.

Also CODA just filed a Land Development permit which probably means a groundbreaking will not happen until next year.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2016, 11:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Well the Land development permit for the AC Hotel/ Moxy Hotel is now issued so that one is likely to start soon.

Also CODA just filed a Land Development permit which probably means a groundbreaking will not happen until next year.
Portman was quoted somewhere that construction would start in November of this year. I will research where I read that.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
Portman was quoted somewhere that construction would start in November of this year. I will research where I read that.
I almost included the caveat "unless their permit is somehow expedited" but I didn't. I know that NCR filed literally right before they broke ground so there is definitely a faster method of getting the LD permit approved and CODA would have to use it to meet that schedule.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 8:28 PM

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 9:46 PM

Once that and Juniper on 5th gets finished, it'll create a nice urban streetwall.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 3:47 AM

Completed: AC hotel Buckhead (opens next week)

Completed: 200 Edgewood

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansley View Post
Egad. Looks like something out of Star Wars movie. Lordy - I like bland suburban over whacky doodle urban.
Would be perfect for the future though, personal drone landing pads anyone?

Source: https://www.wired.com/2016/08/time-f...rone-landings/

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 3:28 PM

I don't trust half the people driving on the road, unless air vehicles are automated I have very high fear that it would be a disaster, In a car the damage you can cause is much less than if you are up in the air (faster speeds/greater forces/no boundaries like with a road). Can you imagine the average joe trying to land on that tiny little landing pad

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 3:37 PM

Quote:
I don't trust half the people driving on the road, unless air vehicles are automated I have very high fear that it would be a disaster, In a car the damage you can cause is much less than if you are up in the air (faster speeds/greater forces/no boundaries like with a road). Can you imagine the average joe trying to land on that tiny little landing pad
Automation would be 99% of it. Drones would also have built in restrictions for airspace, location and speed. But the flip side of these things freeing up space on land based roads, it would increase the need for landing spaces. I'd be more worried about drones getting hacked.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 3:52 PM

lol, whacky doodle. those dadgum kids and their newfangled archytexture. i like my patterns predictable and repeating!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 2:31 PM

Progress on Westside Heights

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 1:39 PM

Peachtree and 3rd

Looks like demo has started at Peachtree and 3rd. Happy to see this one start.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Progress on Westside Heights
It's interesting to watch a building go up that I've seen no rendering of and only see the design as construction progresses. Guess that's how most people not following these blogs experience new buildings going up, if they even care at all.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaMustang View Post
It's interesting to watch a building go up that I've seen no rendering of and only see the design as construction progresses. Guess that's how most people not following these blogs experience new buildings going up, if they even care at all.
Worthing Co never releases renderings of their projects but all of the "Heights" apartments have a similar design so we know generally what to expect.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 4:58 PM

I think Peachtree and Third is started, they're slowly taking down the existing building, passed by this morning and the front roof was gone and the front wall was being pulled apart piece by piece

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 12:27 AM

Quote:
I think Peachtree and Third is started, they're slowly taking down the existing building, passed by this morning and the front roof was gone and the front wall was being pulled apart piece by piece
Yay!

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 3:29 AM

Anthem on Ashley

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta