HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

100 East 53rd Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
They had to do a number of compromises to get this through the land use process.
I remember the NIMBYs flipping out over this back in 2008, but exactly what compromises did the city demand in order to approve this project? What types of changes to the building's design occurred because of this compromise?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2012, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarossa View Post
I remember the NIMBYs flipping out over this back in 2008, but exactly what compromises did the city demand in order to approve this project? What types of changes to the building's design occurred because of this compromise?
They agreed to height limits and FAR limits. Essentially they're not building as big and tall as possible, in exchange for air rights from a landmarked building.

Unfortunately, the local NIMBYs like to get their kicks by altering projects that need certain land use approvals.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2012, 6:03 AM

any news

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 9:29 PM

I walked by the site today. There are red and white signs on the side of the blue plywood fence surrounding the site that say "Hard Hat Area" or something like that. I also swore I could hear the sound of metal clanging around inside, although it could have been echos from nearby.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 12:29 AM

Actually, I think this was a different site, but regardless this project has financial backers. They're probably hiring workers and ordering materials. I'd bet sometime in 2013 for construction start.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 12:57 AM

^

Source on financial backers? IrishInNYC on WNY said a few months ago that this tower had been put out for bid, so construction can't be too far off, especially considering the location of this lot.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Aby Rosen and Michael Fuchs have recapitalized their major 610 Lexington Ave. stalled development site and modified a loan with RCG Longview.
Quote:
Before it went belly-up, the original lender, Lehman Bros., had grown several loans to $145 million prior to ING taking over. RCG further reconstituted a mezzanine loan, leaving RFR owing a mere $64,735,264. RFR also transferred the property to another entity with a value of $78,041,438.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...1&postcount=43

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 1:27 AM

Thanks very much, missed that somehow. Sounds like a 2013 start is likely.

Thinking about it, next year just within a small area of the UES/East Midtown we could have this U/C, 432 Park breaking the plateau, 250 E 57th, and 45 E 60th. Exciting times.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 5:04 AM

Incredible this remains stalled in such a prominent location. Shame because I really like the design. It looks like the property has been recently repaved, so we probably shouldn't expect imminent construction.

Photo from today:

(by me)

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 2:32 PM
New Yorker for life

It wouldn't shock me if this one was in motion by the end of the year.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
Incredible this remains stalled in such a prominent location.
Nothing is sacred.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 3:20 PM

I believe a commenter on Wired New York said they had financing, and were interviewing contractors for this job. This was a few months ago.

In any case, this property was sold to a new developer last year, and the new developer confirmed the same design, with the Shangri-La Hotel as anchor tenant.

Hopefully we will see action on this site very soon.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 4:36 AM

Yeah, the tower is out for bid, so we should see some action here by spring/summer if not sooner.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 4:50 AM
-

Quote:
I believe a commenter on Wired New York said they had financing, and were interviewing contractors for this job. This was a few months ago.

In any case, this property was sold to a new developer last year, and the new developer confirmed the same design, with the Shangri-La Hotel as anchor tenant.

Wow it seems that Shangri La is a jinx for new towers in the USA.. here, waterview in chicago!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 5:02 AM
BANNED

Quote:

The design is a bit boring for a Foster tower. I'm not very happy that the design is going to go ahead

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 5:10 AM

Nothing Foster has done recently has been remotely exciting.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 5:47 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
Nothing Foster has done recently has been remotely exciting.
His Park Avenue tower design is much more interesting than this plain box. Also, heathrow terminal 2 is rather nice.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 7:21 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

As I recall, although the massing is a plain box, Foster put a lot of detail into the design of the facade, so that it will be faceted, much like the Gem Tower.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 7:29 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post
v

v
There were some nice touches. It's very close to the Seagram. Foster could have gone a little higher, to about 800 ft I believe, but insisted the design wouldn't work at that height.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
The design is a bit boring for a Foster tower. I'm not very happy that the design is going to go ahead
This design is located directly behind the Seagram Building (on the same block), so in this case I think its simplicity is okay. I think the slenderness of it would be quite striking if the design stays as is... and the lobby looks very promising.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive