HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 4:55 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
How much higher does this one have to go?
I believe one more floor...currently working on the 23rd.

From a distance you get a better sense of the relative height/scale of the buildings w/in the Domain. The towers on the north end (Domain 8, 10, 11, 12, etc.) sit around 40-50ft lower in elevation than the buildings on the south end. The land gradually descends as it approaches Walnut Creek.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 5:28 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Wow! That's awesome seeing them from that far out. I've noticed the Domain Tower II and The Bowen this past week from I-35 about a half mile south of Riverside. It's just a brief view, but it's there.
Yeah I was surprised how much DT4 stood out from that distance. I also spotted it driving on I-35 from the south end of Georgetown. That was from approximately 14 miles away.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 6:15 PM
Austinite

Anyone know what's going in here? This is at the NE corner of Mopac and Braker. Looks like a blue crane base has been installed (if my eyes see it correctly)

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopacs View Post
Anyone know what's going in here? This is at the NE corner of Mopac and Braker. Looks like a blue crane base has been installed (if my eyes see it correctly)
Probably this:

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...22#post8618590

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Braker/Mopac multi-family. This says it's a re-subdivision of Lot 1 Block A of the Braker Pointe tract - northeast corner of Braker & Mopac.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mo...!4d-97.7065996

This is showing 7 floors and 83 feet.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...SU_PLAN_01.pdf

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 8:33 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Great, thanks! 83ft tall - not too bad

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 5:51 PM

The other day, I saw the construction fencing go up around the old Frisco site (Burnet Rd South of Justin Ln) and I wondered what it was for.
Looks to be about the same size as the apartment complex just south of there (Marq on Burnet).

New apartment complex planned on former site of The Frisco Shop
Construction could start as early as May 1 on the yet-to-be-named project, which has an estimated cost of $45 million.

Last edited by eskimo33; Feb 10, 2021 at 6:10 PM. Reason: Corrected typo in Justin Ln

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimo33 View Post
The other day, I saw the construction fencing go up around the old Frisco site (Burnet Rd South of Just Ln) and I wondered what it was for.
Looks to be about the same size as the apartment complex just south of there (Marq on Burnet).

New apartment complex planned on former site of The Frisco Shop
Construction could start as early as May 1 on the yet-to-be-named project, which has an estimated cost of $45 million.

There's some documents up on Austin's permit database as well.

I found it interesting that as part of this project they're taking out the 40 unit Pepperwood Apartments on Burnet Lane (the back side of this project).

https://www.apartmentfinder.com/Texa...ood-Apartments

Seems like we've reached the point where existing MF units are starting to be redeveloped denser in this part of town.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 7:34 PM
ATX USA

Right around the corner from me...and another one with no ground floor retail, apparently.

Not that ground floor retail always works out. What they did with The Pour House (right up the street) is great example of ground floor retail dumbing down a formerly great establishment (imho).

But in general I wish these new projects would stick with the mixed-use concept a bit more. Especially when they're right on Burnet or Lamar.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychlotron View Post
Right around the corner from me...and another one with no ground floor retail, apparently.

Not that ground floor retail always works out. What they did with The Pour House (right up the street) is great example of ground floor retail dumbing down a formerly great establishment (imho).

But in general I wish these new projects would stick with the mixed-use concept a bit more. Especially when they're right on Burnet or Lamar.
I think it's okay as long as the ground floor is built as office space to commercial standards, and can be converted to retail if necessary as demand and conditions warrant (as this looks to be).

As I understand it, it's hard to make the numbers work for newly built vmu retail. But as the building ages, and rents go down, it can.

I worry more about everything new that isn't being built to that standard, now locking out such for decades. Everything that wasn't opted in to VMU on Burnet, the stretch of Burnet north of Anderson, etc.

The new LDC would have fixed that, for at least some more parcels, but you know

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Cap City Comedy Club to reopen this fall at The Domain

The North Austin comedy staple previously announced it would be closing for good in September 2020.

https://www.kvue.com/article/enterta...3-516833f9d9d9
This is going to be so popular.

Last edited by Syndic; Feb 11, 2021 at 3:53 AM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
Aw man, I didn't realize the Anderson square location closed?! So many great memories at that liquored up hole in the wall.

Smart move for Domain though...that definitely adds some variety

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 9:50 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
Beat me to it. Just posed this over in the Econ Dev thread.

Yes, I believe it will be a much better spot for them. NYC's The Creek and The Cave is relocating here too.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
I've really started to despair of seeing Robinson Ranch developed significantly within the next decade or so -- maybe even within my lifetime. Everything we've seen so far shows them doing what they've always done, which is release small chunks of the acreage for ad hoc development, but not really any moves towards mapping out how the entirety of the property should work. I assume/hope that's being done behind the scenes, but the magnitude of developing something that size is really mind blowing. I mean . . . I'm watching the Apple Campus rise out my back door, and when all is said and done, that small fraction of RR will have taken something like 5 years to complete, from start to finish. I can't imagine building out the rest of the 8000 acres (or whatever it is). Just the utility work will be a generational project.
Development at Robinson Ranch will always be slow and piece-meal. As long as the quarry - Austin White Lime - is profitable and the current generation continues to run the quarry, anyway. In 2004 the Robinson family entered into a 45-year agreement with the city of Austin that basically says the city can only annex the pieces of land the Robinson family peels off from time to time, and the city is specifically prohibited from annexing the ranch for 44 years and 6 months (weird timeline but okay). As long as that land is in the ETJ it won't have city services, which is a huge hurdle to the type of development you see at the Domain. Not impossible but more costly. Not everyone has Musk or Apple dollars. The agreement with the city: http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=82936

That land is one of the most recession-proof investments you can own. Why not just peel off a chunk when you want some walking-around money and hang on to the rest? It's never going to go down in price. And being in the ETJ means your carrying costs are much lower. I don't blame them for sitting on that gold mine.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 2:57 PM

Re: Cap City's move to the Domain.

Quote:
Cap City did not specify where the club will be located within The Domain. But a representative with Simon Property Group Inc., which owns and manages much of The Domain, said the new comedy club will move into 7,380 square feet at 11506 Century Oaks Terrace, Suite 100, right between a Kendra Scott store and Fleming's Prime Steakhouse. The site was formerly the home of a restaurant called Daily Grill.
Also, this might've been noted elsewhere but

Quote:
Plus, New York City comedy club The Creek and The Cave recently announced on social media that it is moving to Austin. CBS Austin reported Feb. 10 that The Creek and The Cave will be moving into the former home of music venue Barracuda, at 611 E. Seventh St. in the Red River area. The new club is set to open April 1 with both an indoor and outdoor stage, according to CBS Austin. Barracuda closed in June, along with fellow Red River venues Plush and Scratchouse.
https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...medy-club.html

I'm not really a comedy guy, but both of these things portend well for rebirth of Austin nightlife. One of my huge concerns with the pandemic is that we'd somehow permanently injure our entertainment sector, which would kick a major leg out from under Austin's quality of life arguments. These seem to be some of the first green shoots of long term recovery.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 1:56 AM

Have never been to Cap city. Always wanted to check it out. I always take family that comes to town to Esters Folleys on 6th street.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 4:05 AM
Meh

I don't remember seeing this rendering of the Bowen.

Linked from their Facebook page

https://thebowen.com/?utm_source=Soc...U3vz4AhZ1-agyo

Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 4:57 AM
クラブトクヨ

It’s a nice looking building in my opinion.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 1:48 PM

Yeah, but I think it could have used a penthouse on each side, with a roof deck in between.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 3:30 PM
World Traveler

Heard from an electrician friend that one of the IBM buildings had a 4" pipe burst and flooded at least a couple floors.

When are those supposed to go away to make way for Broadmoor?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
I'm not really a comedy guy, but both of these things portend well for rebirth of Austin nightlife. One of my huge concerns with the pandemic is that we'd somehow permanently injure our entertainment sector, which would kick a major leg out from under Austin's quality of life arguments. These seem to be some of the first green shoots of long term recovery.
Those of us who would frequent the entertainment and nightlife haven't been scared away by the covid nonsense one bit. The arbitrary restrictions could (and should) go away tomorrow and this stuff would be packed literally overnight.

People should have the ability to decide for themselves what's appropriate. Those who have a valid reason to fear covid (and 10,000 other pathogens floating around in public) can take the steps necessary to protect themselves and distance all they want. The "morally superior" corona-bro agoraphobics can join them. Putting that burden on >99% of other people and the accompanying holier-than-thou attitude it has conjured needs to stop immediately.

There's an overwhelming majority of people out there who just aren't affected by this and who have quite frankly seen and had enough of the restrictions and untold economic damage of the past year. It's beyond time to get on with life and get rid of the arbitrary constricting bs that's rooted in nothing more than legal/political risk management at this point.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin