HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 4:07 PM
BANNED

No real affordability measures, which leaves a big void imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyLucky View Post
If you look at how EIU defines a good city, much depends on things that are out of a cities control, such as health care (20%) and education (10%). Scoring is subjective anyway, but I'm sure Seattle is right near the top of American cities. Maybe this will help clarify understand:

Stability 25%
Prevalence of petty crime EIU rating
Prevalence of violent crime EIU rating
Threat of terror EIU rating
Threat of military conflict EIU rating
Threat of civil unrest/conflict EIU rating

Healthcare 20%
Availability of private healthcare EIU rating
Quality of private healthcare EIU rating
Availability of public healthcare EIU rating
Quality of public healthcare EIU rating
Availability of over-the-counter drugs EIU rating
General healthcare indicators Adapted from World Bank

Culture & Environment 25%
Humidity/temperature rating Adapted from average weather conditions
Discomfort of climate to travellers EIU rating
Level of corruption Adapted from Transparency International
Social or religious restrictions EIU rating
Level of censorship EIU rating
Sporting availability EIU field rating of 3 sport indicators
Cultural availability EIU field rating of 4 cultural indicators
Food and drink EIU field rating of 4 cultural indicators
Consumer goods and services EIU rating of product availability
Indicator Source
Availability of private education EIU rating
Quality of private education EIU rating
Public education indicators Adapted from World Bank

Education 10%
Availability of private healthcare EIU rating
Quality of private healthcare EIU rating
Availability of public healthcare EIU rating
Quality of public healthcare EIU rating
Availability of over-the-counter drugs EIU rating
General healthcare indicators Adapted from World Bank
Category 3: Culture & Environment (weight: 25% of total)
Category 4: Education (weight: 10% of total)
Category 2: Healthcare (weight: 20% of total)

Infrastructure 20%
Quality of road network EIU rating
Quality of public transport EIU rating
Quality of international links EIU rating
Availability of good quality housing EIU rating
Quality of energy provision EIU rating
Quality of water provision EIU rating
Quality of telecommunications EIU rating

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 4:24 PM
Editor

Interesting that Melbourne is getting slammed. I'll be going there in a few months and will be anxious to form my own opinions. Everyone I've ever talked to who's been to Melbourne seems to love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMalgus View Post
Interestingly, if you look at various online discussions, National Post, Globe and Mail, The Star, etc., lots of people have mostly bad things to say about all 3 cities (if anything, Calgary getting off easier than the other two cities). On The Guardian's comments section, Melbourne is getting absolutely slammed. It's great that our awersome city is being recognized appropriately, but sometimes being the best is a curse as much as a blessing

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
Belltown has gotten better lately, but there is no crime equivalent in Calgary, it is still very bad. MLK drive next to down town is the place with daily problems. I remember vividly when in Seattle a reporter reporting on a stray bullet hitting a toddler along MLK drive. It wasn't even the top story of the day.
Are you kidding? Have you checked out the "Crime in Calgary" thread? Most days I'm afraid to step near a window, let alone go outside.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
Is Edmonton included in the study? I notice some of these studies (ie..Merser Group), only do Cal, Van, Tor and Mtl.

Either way, good on Calgary.

Chad, you should post this in the Canada section
Ottawa makes these lists sometimes too (maybe the Mercer list) but I've never seen Edmonton on one and I don't think the quality of life here is really much different than Edmonton.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 5:12 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
Is Edmonton included in the study? I notice some of these studies (ie..Merser Group), only do Cal, Van, Tor and Mtl.

Either way, good on Calgary.

Chad, you should post this in the Canada section
LMAO! I apparently already cause enough trouble over there, this is our 2nd year in a row tied for fifth spot, doesn't need to be rubbed in MTLs face again that they're not even in the top 10 lmao! Wow I'm a dick.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
I found it a little ball-busting how Calgary's worst category was Culture and Environment, after that debate on the Canada section recently. Hopefully by the 2019 one we will have moved up a few points by then, especially in culture, as we will have the National Music Centre, Central Library, and likely a new Art Gallery of Calgary all open by that time.
It's definitely our biggest weakness and still needs a lot of work. We have a very mediocre museum in the Glenbow, no significant art gallery (even though its been talked about for decades), an Opera company that operates out of a church, an aging hockey arena, and a football stadium stuck in a time-warp.

Some of this stuff will of course be remedied as time goes on, but as of now, I can see why we rank low.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Ottawa makes these lists sometimes too (maybe the Mercer list) but I've never seen Edmonton on one and I don't think the quality of life here is really much different than Edmonton.
I was recently in Cape Breton talking to a family over dinner. The father says "yeah, I've been working in Alberta several times. I really liked Calgary, super awesome city. But what's the deal with Edmonton? It's sooo sketchy!" Couldn't help but laugh.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 5:31 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateWhore View Post
It's definitely our biggest weakness and still needs a lot of work. We have a very mediocre museum in the Glenbow, no significant art gallery (even though its been talked about for decades), an Opera company that operates out of a church, an aging hockey arena, and a football stadium stuck in a time-warp.

Some of this stuff will of course be remedied as time goes on, but as of now, I can see why we rank low.
Wasn't there a proposal by Bing Thom (or was it Arthur Erickson?) to do a massive renovation and expansion to the Epcor Centre to also include an opera house?

Edit: This one! We need this! All of it!!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 5:38 PM
Editor

Agreed, especially when comparing to Vancouver or Toronto. Some of the upcoming projects that people have mentioned will make a difference though. A dedicated art gallery sure would be nice.

Quote:

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 5:39 PM

Chad, that was indeed a Bing Thom design. Looked fantastic...till they were told how much it would cost.

I'm not 100% sure what the status is, but I believe it's being scaled down to something more wallet-friendly. Hopefully still retains the wow-factor.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 5:51 PM
ARTchitecture

Oh, I had no idea that it was still in the works. That is fantastic to hear it may still be alive, even if scaled down.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
No real affordability measures, which leaves a big void imo.
I agree, though "Availability of good quality housing" is included. Not sure exactly what that entails, but my assumption is that Canada and Europe have better social housing programs than America. Again, just an assumption based on all the stereotypes about America that we Canadians are constantly bombarded with.

There really are not too many economic measures in this study at all, which, perhaps is to differentiate this "livability" study from standard of living or other easily-measurable data. I imagine Canadian cities (esp Calgary) score very well on measures of consumer power parity, income, consumer confidence, competition, employment rate, etc, as well. Certainly, these factors contribute to our ability to provide high-quality education, healthcare, infrastructure, etc

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Wasn't there a proposal by Bing Thom (or was it Arthur Erickson?) to do a massive renovation and expansion to the Epcor Centre to also include an opera house?

Edit: This one! We need this! All of it!!

I'll take it!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Exactly! I forgot about the MRU Music Conservatory and Decidedly Jazz Dance Studio in my post for sure.

I wonder if that modern addition to Fort Calgary is actually going to happen. It would certainly make it look like more of an attractive... attraction... to the everyday tourist.

The Elbow River Traverse is already open. I am posting an update about it today.
Excellent, please do.

Also, add cycletrack network, 13th Ave greenway, 8th st beautifications to our culture&environment tab.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
Belltown has gotten better lately, but there is no crime equivalent in Calgary, it is still very bad. MLK drive next to down town is the place with daily problems. I remember vividly when in Seattle a reporter reporting on a stray bullet hitting a toddler along MLK drive. It wasn't even the top story of the day.
Oh my! (clutches pearls)..is it Detroit? is it Seattle? and more importantly.. how do all the cross border shoppers deal with dodging all those flying bullets going from outlet to outlet?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 2:12 AM
BANNED

Speaking of Detroit, has that city become a complete dump? I knew it was decreasing in population, but to go from 1.8M in 1950 to 700k in 2010 and still falling fast. Huge murder/crime rate too. Wonder how much lower the pop will go. There's not an equivalent in the modern world I can think of. Makes me want to visit just to see it all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogra...ory_of_Detroit

A girl I work with says she used to alternate between her firm's New York and Detroit offices, and absolutely dreaded going to Detroit. She said it was scary even walking through the parkade to get to her car.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 2:52 AM

Quote:

Might that rating also have something to do with weather?

Canada will never have great museums as it was never an imperial country. Most of the great collections in the world were "acquired" by advancing armies.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaJ View Post
Oh my! (clutches pearls)..is it Detroit? is it Seattle? and more importantly.. how do all the cross border shoppers deal with dodging all those flying bullets going from outlet to outlet?

Just what the forum needs, more petty sarcasm. I never said Seattle was a crime ridden wasteland, but the fact remains that on average crime in American cities is orders of magnitude higher than Canadian cities. Just did a quick google search for "stray bullet mlk drive seattle" and I saw at least 6 different articles about people being killed or shot along that street in Seattle. Sorry to break your illusions, but it does happen, and it takes about 2 seconds to educate yourself about it.

Seattle is a relatively safe city, but my only point was that there are areas of Seattle with orders of magnitude higher crime than Calgary.

Shesh.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 5:06 PM
effete latte-lifter

Quote:
[img]]
I can answer a lot of questions about this, I was on an involved committee when I was in the CPO. It did not include an opera house, or any additional performances spaces really except for One Yellow Rabbit i believe. It mostly involved re-configuring the public space so there was one giant shared lobby and a tonne of additional backstage/logistical and artist-use areas, something the Centre lacks sorely in. I wonder if anyone cold dig up a rendering of the original version of the Centre before it's hasty redesign upon the burns Building becoming listed and protected from demolition. All I really know is that Jack Singer was supposed to face onto McLoed instead of being behind the public building facade.

After talking to a guy recently her in Denmark who worked on my current place of employment as well as having been assigned to work on the Jack Singer portion of the Bing Thom project, plus what I know from my former Calgary Colleagues, the future for the Centre isn't exactly bright these days, never mind a renovation of any kind.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
Vancouver is more urban, but I agree Seattle has lots of character. Also about 30% less rain than Van, much more business opportunities, cheaper shopping, and much lower real estate prices.
Just my 2 cents but I actually find Seattle to have the most "big city" feel of all the large northwest cities. Maybe it's partially the gritty areas, but it has the look of a much older city - almost an "east coast" look. Comparatively, even though Vancouver and Calgary have lots of skyscrapers, they still have the appearance of very young, mid size cities outside of their skyscraper clusters; Edmonton and Portland, even more so. I think of Seattle as the merging of Vancouver's location, hipness and culture with Calgary's business influence...which is probably appropriate since it's about the size of both combined.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation