HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 8:04 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Re: car speeds.
I owned a 1987 Toyota Supra Turbo, which was at least somewhat considered to be a "sports car" and it was 230 hp and 3400lbs. How things have changed.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 8:27 PM
Here and There

The 325i is actually pretty crazy. On the way to banff it still gained speed at a good pace going up the hill at 170 my friend told me. It kept climbing in speed in 5th gear and made it 190 while going up the hill...and it kept pulling past 190 very easily. Best of all, it does this with a fairly small V6.

Do all of the GTI's have a 2.0l turbo 4 cylinder? Nice. That may be my next choice. That, or a 328 / 335.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floobie View Post
Having driven several properly fast cars over the years (Audi R8 V10 being the fastest), I can safely say... I wouldn't really want one as a daily driver. Not because they're unwieldy or anything, but because they're extremely anti-climactic. I like to put a car through its paces, hear the engine roaring at full tilt... that sort of thing. A really fast car gets you up to highly illegal speeds so damn quickly that, unless you really don't care if you get fifty speeding tickets per millisecond, you're constantly holding back. When I drove that R8 V10, I'd basically put my foot down, take in that glorious V10 spinning at over 8000rpm... and within 3 seconds I was doing something that could lose me my license.

My GTI is roughly in my personal sweet spot. It's fast enough that I never find its power lacking. Passing on the highway is completely effortless. But, it's not so fast that I can put it through its paces without doing something too illegal. I'd wager your 325i feels pretty similar overall, even if it is a tad slower in a straight line.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 8:48 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateWhore View Post
It's pretty crazy how fast even basic cars have become. I remember not that long ago when it was Ferrari's who were in the 5-6 second range, and now they are being equalled by minivans and sedans. My so-called sportscar technically does a 5.3 0-60mph, but I'm sure on a good day a Camry could beat it. Just imagine if they weren't the fat pigs they are, they might even be fun to drive.

I think these days, the feeling a car gives you is more important than how fast it goes. BMW's to me have lost their magic. They're bigger and softer, and people seem to be more worried about their interiors than how they drive. Give me a 90s 3-series with basic cloth seats and a stick, and I'd be way happier than some loaded e90 porker.
I suppose, but my 2005 325 is just slightly bigger than the new honda civic. I had a rental ford fusion while I was finding my replacement car......now that thing is big and soft. It was a freakin' relief getting my small 325. It fit everywhere and turned on a dime. I never knew the ford fusion was SO giant compared to the 325. I could barely fit it in my parking spot. The 325 gets in no problem.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 8:55 PM
The City That Moves

I'm curious what areas in Calgary that people enjoy driving? I like driving the Memorial Drive parkway, SoDo (11th Ave & 12th Ave) and the Cowboy Trail. Any others?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 9:01 PM

Quote:
It's pretty crazy how fast even basic cars have become. I remember not that long ago when it was Ferrari's who were in the 5-6 second range, and now they are being equalled by minivans and sedans. My so-called sportscar technically does a 5.3 0-60mph, but I'm sure on a good day a Camry could beat it. Just imagine if they weren't the fat pigs they are, they might even be fun to drive.

I think these days, the feeling a car gives you is more important than how fast it goes. BMW's to me have lost their magic. They're bigger and softer, and people seem to be more worried about their interiors than how they drive. Give me a 90s 3-series with basic cloth seats and a stick, and I'd be way happier than some loaded e90 porker.
My future father in law just sold his E30 M3 this year. I got to drive it once, and that was an experience. Only a 4 cylinder, with adequate but not crazy power, but so light weight and nimble.

Looking at that list you can see why Lotus uses Toyota engines. Decent performance, great reliability and low maintenance costs. I don't care if they are criticized for being underpowered. I want one dammit!

The fat/bloatedness of today's cars drives me nuts. I redid the whole suspension on my S4 just to make it feel like less of a pig (KW V3s and a stiffer rear sway). It party worked, it corners harder than I'll ever take it on a city street now, but you can still tell it's a pig in Porsche clothing. The only time it is purely fun without any hint of being fat is roaring around with the back end out on snow. By far the greatest winter car I've owned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
Im not bragging. Its a freakin 325! Not much to it, but it is fast in all gears, especially on the highway. Fast off the line as well (to me). Im sure I will waste money on a faster car one day. But, for now Im enjoying the fact that the car is completely paid for. Im happy to drive this thing and it is great to look at.
E46 are still the best looking 3 series in recent terms, I think their styling will hold up very well. Plus they are tanks. Before I got my hands on it for maintenance versions, ours was rather neglected and still keeps plugging away. It needs some suspension work now, but otherwise has been very solid.

Quote:
My GTI is roughly in my personal sweet spot. It's fast enough that I never find its power lacking. Passing on the highway is completely effortless. But, it's not so fast that I can put it through its paces without doing something too illegal. I'd wager your 325i feels pretty similar overall, even if it is a tad slower in a straight line.
I agree with you. Nimble cars are more fun than fast cars in the city. I think I want a Golf R for my next city car. A big touring wagon and a Golf R and my garage is happy

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Having driven several properly fast cars over the years (Audi R8 V10 being the fastest), I can safely say... I wouldn't really want one as a daily driver. Not because they're unwieldy or anything, but because they're extremely anti-climactic. I like to put a car through its paces, hear the engine roaring at full tilt... that sort of thing. A really fast car gets you up to highly illegal speeds so damn quickly that, unless you really don't care if you get fifty speeding tickets per millisecond, you're constantly holding back. When I drove that R8 V10, I'd basically put my foot down, take in that glorious V10 spinning at over 8000rpm... and within 3 seconds I was doing something that could lose me my license.

Very well put. For my next "toy", I've got my eye on something that has approximately a 1/3 less hp than my current one. Cars today are so fast that it's not (or shouldn't be) just about horsepower. There are so many other factors that make a car fun and it's got to the point where hp actually becomes a hindrance to enjoyment. I'm dropping about 600lbs and I know I'll love it more

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 9:51 PM

Quote:
I suppose, but my 2005 325 is just slightly bigger than the new honda civic
Your car is two generations behind now, so I wasn't really talking about that one. I assume you have the last year of the e46 generation, and not the first year of the e90.....because one is pretty much the nicest looking 3-series followed by the ugliest one!

Seems like with each generation though the 3-series get's a little away from what made it so good. The new ones by all accounts seem to be soft and are tuned to have a nice "ride" instead of "drive".

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Your car is two generations behind now, so I wasn't really talking about that one. I assume you have the last year of the e46 generation, and not the first year of the e90.....because one is pretty much the nicest looking 3-series followed by the ugliest one!

Seems like with each generation though the 3-series get's a little away from what made it so good. The new ones by all accounts seem to be soft and are tuned to have a nice "ride" instead of "drive".
The new 3 is the size of the last gen of the 5 series.

The new 5 is as big as an old 7... They're getting huge!

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 9:53 PM

Quote:
The 325i is actually pretty crazy. ... Best of all, it does this with a fairly small V6.

You know how I know you only kinda, sorta know what you're talking about? BMWs don't have V6s.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radley77 View Post
SoDo (11th Ave & 12th Ave)
*smacks Radley77 on the nose with a rolled-up newspaper*

NO. NO.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93JC View Post

You know how I know you only kinda, sorta know what you're talking about? BMWs don't have V6s.
Hey, that's close enough for today's BMW driver. Apparently 80% of 1-series owners think it's a FWD!

Speaking of which, the 1M....now that's one car I wouldn't mind having. Even the base 128i is pretty fun to drive. Probably the closest thing to the 3-series of old.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 10:10 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:

LOL... cut the guy some slack... most "car-but-not-really-car" guys just call any 6 shooter a V-6

5150- you've got an inline 6 in your Bimmer. And yes, 325's are pretty fun to drive... I've never owned one but have driven a few... More of a Volvo guy myself but I like the BMW's for their handling and short gear throws.

Once I get the rebuilt Garrett Turbo put in my Volvo 242GLT it'll wax your 325 all day though

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 11:15 PM
Here and There

Quote:

Oh, I have always called an Inline 6 a V6. Is that a mistake?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 11:16 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me&You View Post
The new 3 is the size of the last gen of the 5 series.

The new 5 is as big as an old 7... They're getting huge!
I had no idea. I just know mine is nice and compact.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Hey, that's close enough for today's BMW driver. Apparently 80% of 1-series owners think it's a FWD!

Speaking of which, the 1M....now that's one car I wouldn't mind having. Even the base 128i is pretty fun to drive. Probably the closest thing to the 3-series of old.
Good luck... The secret's out and gently used 1Ms are now selling at or above their list prices. Great little cars, though the entry price stings for "just a 1 series".

Next thing you'll say is that you like the 2002

Quote:
I had no idea. I just know mine is nice and compact.
And further to my comment above, if you enjoy your 325 and want to replace it with something newer in the future, take a looooong look at a 135. Small, compact, light, nimble and an absolute blast... As Corporate said, very much like the fantastic 3s of the past.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 11:47 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Oh, I have always called an Inline 6 a V6. Is that a mistake?
Yes, because it's not shaped like a V

I6

http://www.landroveriraq.com/Explore.aspx?Cr=2&Md=0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inline-6

V6

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V6_engine

http://detroit.ebayclassifieds.com/p...lt/?ad=3926768

Old Posted Aug 15, 2012, 12:09 AM

Quote:

Your typical BMW owner is one reason why I don't own a "Beamer".

I'm sure most car people have read this story, but this is the best BMW story ever:

http://jalopnik.com/5497042/how-a-50...k-rally-racers

Old Posted Aug 15, 2012, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me&You View Post
Good luck... The secret's out and gently used 1Ms are now selling at or above their list prices. Great little cars, though the entry price stings for "just a 1 series".
I was actually looking at the 1 series a year or so ago, and the 1M was an option, but it was more than I was looking to spend. I actually preferred the 128i over the 135 though....while the 135i is fantastic, I think the 128 felt a little more sprightly and simple, and had a fantastic rock-solid engine (as opposed to the problem ridden N54 engine).

Was really close to buying the 128i and doing Euro-delivery (as a honeymoon!).....but then I ran into a Cayman I just could not pass up.

Quote:
Next thing you'll say is that you like the 2002
If we're talking classics, I'd rather have a 3.0 CS!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2012, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
I'm sure most car people have read this story, but this is the best BMW story ever:

http://jalopnik.com/5497042/how-a-50...k-rally-racers
That's pretty awesome. I read Jalopnik regularly, but that one slipped through, so thanks for posting.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2012, 6:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
LOL... cut the guy some slack... most "car-but-not-really-car" guys just call any 6 shooter a V-6
As if these people have never made a slip like that.. albeit a BMW is not as obscure as a Hudson Straight 8 or anything, still feels like kw5150 is being thrown under the bus.

What does everyone have for vehicles?

I own a small fleet atm, or so it seems.

2002 Ford Ranger
2000 Ford Mustang GT
1972 Chevrolet El Camino
1969 Chevrolet El Camino
1965 Chevrolet Chevelle
1957 Chevrolet 210 sedan
1956 Chevrolet st.wagon
1955 Chevrolet sedan
1927 Ford Model T

I started building cars 10 years ago when I was 14, I have since collected a bunch and run my own company buying and selling them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation