HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 8:09 PM
Great White Norf

Calgary Car Talk

A place for Calgary SSP forumers to talk about anything auto related (new dealerships, cool cars you see around town (hopefully w/photos), what you drive, what you wished you drive, etc.)

Mods, Can we get a sticky?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 8:12 PM

Cool, lets get this started.

I drive a 2006 Mazdaspeed 6. Love the car, got an intake, downpipe and tune (Cobb Accessport) and it's definitely got some go. However, it's got over 100,000 clicks, front damage, a pretty bad diff and a Check Engine light that needs to be checked so I will be looking to replace it soon. I might keep it as a mess around car because I don't want to try selling it damaged and I don't really know when I will fix it.

Probably going to get the redesigned WRX when it comes out next year

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 8:14 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by patm View Post

I drive a 2006 Mazdaspeed 6. Love the car, got an intake, downpipe and tune (Cobb Accessport) and it's definitely got some go. However, it got over 100,000 clicks on it so I will be looking to replace it soon.

That's a great car. I've loved Mazda 6's since my friend bought one back when they first came out. how fast will (or would?) it do 0-60 (aka 0-96km lol)?

My roommate bought a Mazdaspeed 3 and loves it!

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 8:17 PM

Quote:

I drive a 2006 Mazdaspeed 6. Love the car, got an intake, downpipe and tune (Cobb Accessport) and it's definitely got some go. However, it's got over 100,000 clicks, front damage, a pretty bad diff and a Check Engine light that needs to be checked so I will be looking to replace it soon. I might keep it as a mess around car because I don't want to try selling it damaged and I don't really know when I will fix it.

I have the MAzda 6 GT, kind of ironic that I have the big engine, but 45 less HP. I'm happy with it, but it has 110 000km on it, so looking to upgrade before too long. Thinking about the Accord V6 with 270HP.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 8:25 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
I have the MAzda 6 GT, kind of ironic that I have the big engine, but 45 less HP. I'm happy with it, but it has 110 000km on it, so looking to upgrade before too long. Thinking about the Accord V6 with 270HP.
it's so strange that Accords and Camrys are pushing almost 300HP these days! I'm liking the redesign of the Accord for 2013. always thought an Accord coupe would be cool

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 8:28 PM
Great White Norf

can't wait to see one of these beauties on the streets of Calgary - Tesla Model S - coming out late fall/early winter

via The Cars Daily blog

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIGS View Post
That's a great car. I've loved Mazda 6's since my friend bought one back when they first came out. how fast will (or would?) it do 0-60 (aka 0-96km lol)?

My roommate bought a Mazdaspeed 3 and loves it!
Before the mods I'd say a tad under 6 seconds with a good launch (it's awd). After the mods I'd say it's firmly in the low 5's. My friend has a '11 335xi that I can keep up with no problem and that car is rated in the high 4's so yeah.

I'd estimate with the mods it's 4.8-5.1 seconds for 0-60 depending on the launch and shifting of course.

I really wish there was something out there that offers power, all wheel drive and refined interior that is in my price range but alas, the speed6 looks to be the last car like that. Now you have the STI and EVO for power and awd but the interior is worse then a tonka truck or you have the BMW's and Audi's that are out of my price range.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 8:33 PM

Speaking of Mazda 6, what do people think off the next gen 6? at least this is the rumour for what it's going to look like.

http://jalopnik.com/5853047/2013-maz...takeri-concept

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Speaking of Mazda 6, what do people think off the next gen 6? at least this is the rumour for what it's going to look like.
That looks freaking sick for a 4-door. If they made that into a 2-door it would be an unreal looking car.

Edit, found it!

from corksport.com

Yep, looks awesome.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropics View Post
That looks freaking sick for a 4-door. If they made that into a 2-door it would be an unreal looking car.

Edit, found it!

from corksport.com

Yep, looks awesome.
No doubt, and the speed6 version is supposed to be back too. Hopefully a supercharged V6 this time.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 8:38 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:

Edit, found it!

from corksport.com

Yep, looks awesome.
I concur!

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 8:41 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Before the mods I'd say a tad under 6 seconds with a good launch (it's awd). After the mods I'd say it's firmly in the low 5's. My friend has a '11 335xi that I can keep up with no problem and that car is rated in the high 4's so yeah.

I'd estimate with the mods it's 4.8-5.1 seconds for 0-60 depending on the launch and shifting of course.
...(
That's really quick!

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 9:19 PM
Here and There

Quote:

Edit, found it!

from corksport.com

Yep, looks awesome.
What with the early 2000s tiburon-ish sides though? And kind of looks like a buick. I much prefer simple bmw / audi / volks styling.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
What with the early 2000s tiburon-ish sides though? And kind of looks like a buick. I much prefer simple bmw / audi / volks styling.
Well, preffering a BMW or an Audi to a Mazda is kind of to be expected. I preffer Aston Martins and Bentleys to BMW's and Audi if it really came down to it.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 9:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
As for storage space? With the back seats folded down (pull a single lever and pull the rear seats forward) an Unlimited Wrangler has 82 square feet of storage space, that is huge. The acceleration problems that article talk about date it, this year the Wranglers got a new Pentastar V6 that puts out 285 horsepower. Sure they are not rockets because they still weigh heaps, but they are respectable for a SUV on acceleration now.
Storage space with the seat down means less storage for people, so again, so as a family vehicle that helps little.

The new engine does up the ante, but the nature of the vehicle isn't really performance. My SUV pulls 0.82g no a 300' skid pad. The wrangler would probably pull zero g (IE be flipping).

Quote:
On those very rare days in Calgary when we get massive amounts of snow and you HAVE to get to work that Rubicon might be one of the few vehicles that can get you there.
I don't doubt the capability of the Rubicon, but I don't believe there are many days in-city when you'd need such capability.

Anyway - I'm a fan of AWD on vehicles but being not much of a true off-road enthusiast, I shouldn't enter further in this particular debate!

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 9:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I personally like the value Mazda's offer and with pretty good styling too. My first 'new' car was a 1998 626 - car of the year that year. I sold it after 11 years and 225,000km. I'm surprised you're having challenges with just over 100,000km. Get it checked out and see what can be done reasonably before selling. With cars like this, however, body damage is more costly than the mechanical aspects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIGS View Post
it's so strange that Accords and Camrys are pushing almost 300HP these days! I'm liking the redesign of the Accord for 2013. always thought an Accord coupe would be cool
If you're a driver's driver, HP isn't the only thing you want to assess. Check how many g's can be pulled. Check acceleration, not only 0-60 but also for highway passing. You also want to consider the drive-train overall to see how the horses are translated to the rubber. Some CVT's can be good for some situations. Some trannys now have many gears, and if they shift well, they can be exceptional. Some set-ups can allow you to run higher revs, etc. Weight is another consideration, though if you want luxury, weight is a guarantee (and you need even more power).

Here are the specs for my FX35:
AWD with native RWD for acceleration.
303hp (this is the base - the larger engine pushes 400)
7 speed automatic with manual mode and snow mode.
Red-lines at 7,500, pretty good for a large V6
0-60 rated at 5.9seconds (very good for a 4,200 lb vehicle)
1/4 mile of 14.9s at 154.5km/hr
Top speed is 249km/hr
Lots of gadgets, from around view (which is amazing), sonar, dvd with remote control, reclining back seats, heated and cooled vented seats, blue tooth, nav, all the audio inputs, tells you the pressure in each wheel, high intensity lights, awesome sound, and so on.
Standard wheels - 265/60R18 110V

Why I chose this car:
- Works well as a family car. Enough space for camping and infant stuff without folding down the seats (in which case we wouldn't be able to take the infant).
- Very capable SUV. No issues with our weather, etc.
- Is a luxury car no doubt, and that was a consideration.
- Performance is awesome for this type of vehicle.
- They sell only a limited number, I think about 750 in Canada per year (though it may have changed) so I'm not one of the rest

Photos by this guy with the share-alike license:

Last edited by suburbia; Aug 10, 2012 at 10:33 PM.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
Storage space with the seat down means less storage for people, so again, so as a family vehicle that helps little.
True, but we are talking 82 square feet, nevermind groceries you can do a major Ikea shop with that kind of space. For a trip to Safeway the Wrangler has plenty of storage for 10 bags of food, your kids school backpack, your briefcase, and keeping the seats available.

Quote:
The new engine does up the ante, but the nature of the vehicle isn't really performance. My SUV pulls 0.82g no a 300' skid pad. The wrangler would probably pull zero g (IE be flipping).
Yeah, you need to drive these types of vehicles with a little more care. They are not super tippy but at the same time they are not sport cars that you can go pinning around a tight corner with. Few people flip jeeps on roads and those that do tend to have been driving such that they asked for it.

Quote:
I don't doubt the capability of the Rubicon, but I don't believe there are many days in-city when you'd need such capability.
Very few indeed. I can remember 1 in the last two years where my Jeep was the difference between me being able to go to a university class or stay home. Mind you I was also living outside of the city and the roads where I was were not cleared. The biggest advantage is that on the days not quite that bad the trips are a piece of cake, since the Jeep can do such extreme stuff the days where other cars are getting into trouble or pushing their limits do not even register to a vehicle like a Wrangler.

Quote:
Anyway - I'm a fan of AWD on vehicles but being not much of a true off-road enthusiast, I shouldn't enter further in this particular debate!
It is all good, I would rather chat with you about it instead of those zealots at the Jeep forums. I love my Jeep but I do not 4X4 for the sake of 4X4ing. I love to gold prospect, adventure up old logging roads and O&G roads and go to old ghost towns, stuff like that. The Jeep is a tool to get me to cool places, to alot of Jeep people it is not the detination but the journey itself and I do not really relate. I climb over a hill to get to the other side, they climb the hill just to climb the hill.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 10:12 PM

Quote:

http://jalopnik.com/5853047/2013-maz...takeri-concept
While it looks good, the front end is giving me a vibe of the current Altima/Maxima. Anybody else see this?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
While it looks good, the front end is giving me a vibe of the current Altima/Maxima. Anybody else see this?
Not the Altima, well maybe the OLD Altima. I used to love the Altima when they had the old school sporty front end.

from cargurus.com

Then they went to this, which killed them for me because of the headlights that pop out of the hood and gave the car more of a muscle car look then a sports car.

from liquedmotors.com

Once upon a time the Nissan Altima coupe was my favorite of the affordable sports coupes.

You know what that front end of that Mazda looks a little like? A BMW M coupe.

from Themotorreport.com

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 10:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
Perhaps a pinch like the Maxima, but the Maxima is really in a different refinement category so not a fair comparison.

There will be changes to this image of the new 6 though. The side mirrors, fog lights, etc. will all get adjusted.

---
Wondering when the next Mazda RX comes out, and along those lines, the next Toyota Supra also. That being said, unless I run into a lot of dollars to have extra cars and more garage space, doubt being a family guy will ever allow getting one of those.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation