HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Nov 6, 2008, 8:19 PM
not a NIMBY

I was at the Rose Garden Thai restaurant on the mall last night and the waitress said that she hadn't seen me in a year! I didn't know they were keeping track of me but I think I should eat there every second night it is so good.
Also Sushi Ichiban on Macleod Trail, their lunch special is pretty good - a choice of 2 items and it comes with miso soup, salad, and rice. I think it was around $11. Right next to the 39th Ave CTrain station.
I was at Rocky's today and I had the Special which is a cheeseburger, fries and a pop for $8. The hamburger patty was really thick but it was kind of bland and tasteless, but it was thoroughly cooked through the middle.
The fries were hot and fresh.
I wonder how much the Calgary restaurant story in Gourmet Mag a few years ago helped their business. I enjoyed my meat orgy today!

Old Posted Nov 13, 2008, 1:47 AM

looks like Meinhardts is expanding into Calgary...

Quote:
Michael Meinhardt has joined his mother Linda, who began it all, and is now the director of business management for the company. They'll be opening another in Calgary, he says, in 2010.
from this: article

Meinhardt's page:
http://www.feedyourcuriosity.com/code/navigate.php?Id=1

its sort of a gourmet grocery store with a deli

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 5:20 PM

Anyone ever eaten at Vicious Circle?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 6:40 PM
Round Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
looks like Meinhardts is expanding into Calgary...

from this: article

Meinhardt's page:
http://www.feedyourcuriosity.com/code/navigate.php?Id=1

its sort of a gourmet grocery store with a deli
Is it good?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 10:14 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
Is it good?
It's in the Sunterra/Sobey's Urban Market/Urban Fare vein. I'd say it'd be a nice option, especially as it's supposed to go just a few blocks south of my house- 14 St and 25 Ave SW.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2008, 5:19 PM
Calgarian

Is there room for a grocery store on that corner? It looks like there is a small vacant lot on the NW corner - is that where it would go?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2008, 6:04 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by crooked rain View Post
Is there room for a grocery store on that corner? It looks like there is a small vacant lot on the NW corner - is that where it would go?
From what I understand, yes.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2008, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc View Post
Anyone ever eaten at Vicious Circle?
Yes, but it was about 10 years ago. It's been there along time.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 1:20 AM

Meinhardts is nice - pricey - the stores are pretty small but they cram a lot in

Meinhardt - the women is the women who started the Bread Garden Cafe chain which she later sold and opened up Meinhardt foods

she also used to I don't know if she still does offer guided tours of France for gourmet types

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 10:55 PM

Hi,

Are there any good vegetarian restaurants? I don't mean a place that will take the chicken out of the pasta dish, but a honest vegetarian restaurant.

Thank you.

s.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 11:17 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.steevo View Post
Hi,

Are there any good vegetarian restaurants? I don't mean a place that will take the chicken out of the pasta dish, but a honest vegetarian restaurant.

Thank you.

s.
The Coup is not only a great vegetarian resto but one of the best restos in Calgary, period. It is light years ahead of, say, Naam in Vancouver and is a good deal to boot. I cannot recommend this place highly enough. GO EARLY as they do not take resos.

As ethnic veg goes, some great options are Buddha's Veggie for Chinese (100% veg) and Mysore Palace and Anpurna for south Indian (Anpurna is 100% veg; Mysore is not 100% but almost all of the South Indian side of the menu is veg and they do a pure veg buffet on Sundays- the entire menu is probably 80% veg). And of course there are tons of Middle Eastern places here and they by their nature are good places for vegetarians.

As fine dining goes, you'll probably be best served at Blink, which always has a couple of veg entrees (so no having to arrange special orders with the kitchen, which is sometimes a delight I should add- River Cafe can to spectacular things for Veggies and good chefs like the challenge).

Old Posted Nov 22, 2008, 10:11 PM

Hi furrycanuck,

I actually did check out the Coup in the summer as my brother in law knows the owners. I was initially confused when we got there as I thought we were going to the former Koup (coffee shop) on 12Ave and 1St. It seems that Koup is long gone.

I do enjoy Indian, though I confess that I like the Taj Mahal's buffet more than my stomach should take. It may not be authentic (or maybe it is) but I find it mild enough for a softy like me to eat. I'll be sure to check out the one's you suggested.

Blink sounds interesting.

Now I need to find a good sports bar that serves more than pints of Canadian and I'll be happy.

s.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2008, 11:24 PM
effete latte-lifter

Speaking of not being a vegetarian, I just got back from MacEwans's with a 2 pound haggis and some black puddings.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2008, 5:57 AM
What we play is life.

Speaking of Indian, if you live in the NW and are looking for some 20 minute take out (or delivery) homemade Indian food, get a hold of "Hot Pot Curry Restaurant" at 1161 Northmount Drive NW. 338-0999. They run a pizza place out of the same small location, so don't be confused when they answer the phone as "Fresh Pizza". The Curry is what you want.
It's great for take out. There is an old lady who is there just to make the Indian dishes.
Also Mai Linh at 5111 Bowness Road. Damn fresh Vietnamese.
288-7832

Old Posted Nov 23, 2008, 7:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arriviste View Post
Speaking of Indian, if you live in the NW and are looking for some 20 minute take out (or delivery) homemade Indian food, get a hold of "Hot Pot Curry Restaurant" at 1161 Northmount Drive NW. 338-0999. They run a pizza place out of the same small location, so don't be confused when they answer the phone as "Fresh Pizza". The Curry is what you want.
It's great for take out. There is an old lady who is there just to make the Indian dishes.
Also Mai Linh at 5111 Bowness Road. Damn fresh Vietnamese.
288-7832
Hi,

Fantastic tip!

Thank you very much. It is appreciated and will be investigated.

Best.

s.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2008, 7:02 PM
What we play is life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.steevo View Post
Hi,

Fantastic tip!

Thank you very much. It is appreciated and will be investigated.

Best.

s.
No worries. I eat quite a bit of take out (I hate my miniature kitchen) so I'll keep posting up the good ones.

Another place off the top of my head if you don't mind a greasy little burger joint is Angels on Bowness Road near the park. The Mozza burger is great, as is the Bowness burger.
I've mentioned this spot before, but if you are on 17th and want a Lamb Shawarma head to Sammy's at 17th and 12th-ish I think. Delightful! And packaged in the ingenious manner. The chicken and beef Shawarma are good as well.
I've never had the donair. Halal meat trips me out a bit ever since I had a donair at a place (now possibly defunct) that ended up getting busted for purchasing back yard butcher meat.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 3:57 PM

The $10 coffee is at Artigiano this week... anybody had it yet? I was going to try it tomorrow.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 5:17 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arriviste View Post
No worries. I eat quite a bit of take out (I hate my miniature kitchen) so I'll keep posting up the good ones.

Another place off the top of my head if you don't mind a greasy little burger joint is Angels on Bowness Road near the park. The Mozza burger is great, as is the Bowness burger.
I've mentioned this spot before, but if you are on 17th and want a Lamb Shawarma head to Sammy's at 17th and 12th-ish I think. Delightful! And packaged in the ingenious manner. The chicken and beef Shawarma are good as well.
I've never had the donair. Halal meat trips me out a bit ever since I had a donair at a place (now possibly defunct) that ended up getting busted for purchasing back yard butcher meat.
Sammy gave me a sample of donair meat he's getting from a new supplier (this one is from Halifax) and MAN it was delicious- it tastes more like the amazing Chicago-based gyros meat I survived on in grad school; it's seasoned and tastes a bit like a mild Italian sausage, totally unlike any other donair in town.

Sammy has so many sauces it's confusing- I always get garlic-sweet-tatziki-hot for the donair and garlic-tahini-hot for the shawarma. Sammy's beef and chicken shawarma is always excellent but the lamb I find a bit gristly.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2008, 4:52 AM
not a NIMBY

Old Posted Dec 8, 2008, 4:49 AM
Editor

Furry, the Mysore Palace in the northeast is entirely vegetarian. All south Indian cuisine, and best Sambar in town

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrycanuck View Post
The Coup is not only a great vegetarian resto but one of the best restos in Calgary, period. It is light years ahead of, say, Naam in Vancouver and is a good deal to boot. I cannot recommend this place highly enough. GO EARLY as they do not take resos.

As ethnic veg goes, some great options are Buddha's Veggie for Chinese (100% veg) and Mysore Palace and Anpurna for south Indian (Anpurna is 100% veg; Mysore is not 100% but almost all of the South Indian side of the menu is veg and they do a pure veg buffet on Sundays- the entire menu is probably 80% veg). And of course there are tons of Middle Eastern places here and they by their nature are good places for vegetarians.

As fine dining goes, you'll probably be best served at Blink, which always has a couple of veg entrees (so no having to arrange special orders with the kitchen, which is sometimes a delight I should add- River Cafe can to spectacular things for Veggies and good chefs like the challenge).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation