HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 3:54 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Stephen Ave- there are two Nellies on 17th- south side at 9th St and north side by Melrose- which was bad, and why?

Belmont Diner is amazing for breakfast, if you like breakfast (I don't, really, though I fell in love with the hotel breakfast rooms in Europe)

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 4:25 PM

I don't do breakfast either but my wife does. She's a Nellie's fan (any of the locations) but I can't stand the place. Anywhere but Nellie's for me.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrycanuck View Post
Stephen Ave- there are two Nellies on 17th- south side at 9th St and north side by Melrose- which was bad, and why?

Belmont Diner is amazing for breakfast, if you like breakfast (I don't, really, though I fell in love with the hotel breakfast rooms in Europe)
Stephen Ave said it was the 9th street location...

"PS, it's not the Nellie's beside Melrose, but the one further west."

Really Furry? The Belmont?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 10:28 PM
Editor

Does anyone on here remember the old Mr Mike's steak house? It would have been in the late 70's and 80's.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 11:21 PM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
Does anyone on here remember the old Mr Mike's steak house? It would have been in the late 70's and 80's.
Was it beside Penny Lane on 8th Ave? I was in a Mr Mikes in Kamloops a couple of years ago. Aren't they all over BC and Edmonton?

Old Posted Sep 7, 2008, 1:39 AM
Coasting

Apparently Mr. Mikes Steakhouse & Bar will be opening in Calgary and Airdrie in 2008.

http://www.mrmikes.ca/

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingforthecity View Post
Was it beside Penny Lane on 8th Ave? I was in a Mr Mikes in Kamloops a couple of years ago. Aren't they all over BC and Edmonton?
I'm not sure about Edm, but there's one in Red deer and G.P.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrycanuck View Post

It was the south side location at 9th street. The experience wasn't horrible, but there were a few things that weren't good about it.

-The bread on the sandwich I ordered was different than what was one the menu. Instead of sourdough it was some weird kind if bread (not sure what, but it was stale), and the waitress still insisted it was sourdough.

-The coffee was horrific. It was luke warm and old, and had to be sent back.

-The waitress came around with a water jug that was filthy. I mean c'mon if you're coming around with a clear jug, at least have it clean!

-My wife's sandwich had a stale bun as well.

All in all, I left feeling disappointed.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 6:32 PM
Construction Enthusiast

I was very impressed with the food at Gaucho (on Manchester Road, just south of the cemetary) last weekend. The food was excellent, its a more authentic Brazilian BBQ then Bolero is, and it is a little bit cheaper.

Both places have excellent food, and you certainly won't leave still hungry.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 6:42 PM
effete latte-lifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Ave View Post
It was the south side location at 9th street. The experience wasn't horrible, but there were a few things that weren't good about it.

-The bread on the sandwich I ordered was different than what was one the menu. Instead of sourdough it was some weird kind if bread (not sure what, but it was stale), and the waitress still insisted it was sourdough.

-The coffee was horrific. It was luke warm and old, and had to be sent back.

-The waitress came around with a water jug that was filthy. I mean c'mon if you're coming around with a clear jug, at least have it clean!

-My wife's sandwich had a stale bun as well.

All in all, I left feeling disappointed.
Burnt food on wet plates that you have to stand in line for, is how I usually describe the typical Nellies experience. I'm glad people like it though, because otherwise it would be truly impossible to get into Diner Deluxe. Seriously, it's not even really any cheaper than Avenue Diner. I'd take a Denny's over Nellies any day.

Last edited by jeffwhit; Sep 8, 2008 at 6:56 PM.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 7:13 PM

kensington nellies > *

never had a bad breakfast there.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 7:19 PM
Editor

Quote:
The only one I can remember off hand was one that was on 4th street and 40th ave NW (Across from James Fowler). The reason I'm curious about them, is that they had these awesome steak sandwiches, (they were more like a hamburger) with garlic bread as a bun. They had a really tasty sauce on them. The new Mr Mike's don't have that. I was wonmdering if anyone remembers the old Mr Mike's.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwhit View Post
Burnt food on wet plates that you have to stand in line for, is how I usually describe the typical Nellies experience. I'm glad people like it though, because otherwise it would be truly impossible to get into Diner Deluxe. Seriously, it's not even really any cheaper than Avenue Diner. I'd take a Denny's over Nellies any day.
Ahh, I love Diner Deluxe, although I haven't been there in a few years.

I also like the Belmont, IMHO they have the best hashbrowns in the city. I normally don't enjoy hashbrowns, but I'll eat them at the Belmont.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 7:22 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
I was very impressed with the food at Gaucho (on Manchester Road, just south of the cemetary) last weekend. The food was excellent, its a more authentic Brazilian BBQ then Bolero is, and it is a little bit cheaper.

Both places have excellent food, and you certainly won't leave still hungry.
I'll second that motion. I went to Gaucho's a couple of months ago and came away very impressed.

I thought the meats were a touch better than Bolero, and the buffet was much better. The service was great also. Highly recommended.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 7:23 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwhit View Post
Diner Deluxe.... is that the Edmonton Trail place?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
I'm not sure about Edm, but there's one in Red deer and G.P.
There is a Mr. Mike's in West Edmonton Mall now, it opened late last year.

Oh, and hi everybody, 1st post!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2008, 11:30 PM
effete latte-lifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glam View Post
Ahh, I love Diner Deluxe, although I haven't been there in a few years.

I also like the Belmont, IMHO they have the best hashbrowns in the city. I normally don't enjoy hashbrowns, but I'll eat them at the Belmont.
I didn't know anybody didn't enjoy hashbrowns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
Diner Deluxe.... is that the Edmonton Trail place?
Yes, my favourite.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 4:19 PM
not a NIMBY

I have won a restaurant naming contest! Paul's Pizza on Spiller Road has new ownership and either they had to change the name or wanted to change the name, I'm not sure, but they had a contest for their clientele to come up with a new name for the restaurant that reflected the Ramsay neighbourhood.
I suggested "The Spillery" which doesn't mean anything as far as I know and one of my friends (don't know who) submitted my entry and they chose it! Apparently I get a free pizza and pitcher of beer the next time I go there.
Hey, if you want a new name, buy me a pizza and a pitcher of beer and I'll rename you!

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 5:35 PM

^ Congrats! I work a few blocks away from there and went by for lunch a few times. Are they making it more upscale?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 6:39 PM

Quote:
I have won a restaurant naming contest! Paul's Pizza on Spiller Road has new ownership and either they had to change the name or wanted to change the name, I'm not sure, but they had a contest for their clientele to come up with a new name for the restaurant that reflected the Ramsay neighbourhood.
I suggested "The Spillery" which doesn't mean anything as far as I know and one of my friends (don't know who) submitted my entry and they chose it! Apparently I get a free pizza and pitcher of beer the next time I go there.
Hey, if you want a new name, buy me a pizza and a pitcher of beer and I'll rename you!
The Spillery is catchy.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation