HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted May 23, 2008, 5:08 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwhit View Post
Do you know anything about this Deville place Furry? (other than the ridiculous amount the are spending on renovating that space. I mean, will the coffee be any good? I don't find walking the extra blocks to Artigiano, but something different is nice once and a while. Speaking of which, it's been while a long time now since I've had a clover from there that I didn't fully enjoy; no more overly acidic cups!
Yep, they're getting superb coffee from Intelligentsia- first in Calgary. I'm psyched, no more having to drive to Canmore to buy Intelly Black Cat!

Old Posted May 26, 2008, 3:07 PM
Editor

Re: Caffe Artigiano. I finally made it there yesterday. I was surprised to see it full of people on a gloomy Sunday, it was buzzing.

They are all out the the beans that they were using for the 15 dollar cup of coffee. I had a standard latte, and it was excellent. Pretty much the same price as Starbucks, but much better. I also walked around and took a good look at Centrium, I appreciated it even more now.

Old Posted May 26, 2008, 6:21 PM
of Canada

I just stepped out of the office to get a cappuccino at Artigiano. It has become my favorite coffee place downtown. On the way, I decided to go to Good Earth instead, just up the stairs from Artigiano in the +15.

I would say the cappuccino they made was at least as good. Maybe better. Now I'm not a coffee expert but I know when I like something.

Still, I think there is a long way to go to beat Phil and Sebastian. At least of the places I've tried.
All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

Old Posted May 26, 2008, 8:26 PM
Dr Morgan, AME

Artigiano

Am I the only one who thinks Artigiano is totally over-rated? I've gone about 3 times now, and each time my espresso has been badly done - really acidic and sour. If you ask me, Beano and Bumpy's both make better coffees. Just my opinion.

Old Posted May 26, 2008, 9:58 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
Am I the only one who thinks Artigiano is totally over-rated? I've gone about 3 times now, and each time my espresso has been badly done - really acidic and sour. If you ask me, Beano and Bumpy's both make better coffees. Just my opinion.
Beano is a VERY dark roast, as dark as Starbucks, but it's fresh (unlike most Starbucks) and they get the best out of it (also unlike Starbucks), which will have a lot of chocolate notes and very little sharp or bitter- this is unbalanced (as I just learned as a barista judge) but a lot of people like it- hell, I like it sometimes. Bumpy's has a very balanced espresso and if you like it you should check out Kawa, which uses the same bean (49th Parallel Epic, the one used by the 2nd and 3rd placing baristas at the recent barista championship in Calgary). Artigiano's is I agree not for everybody but they have their place too- there is no shame in not liking their version (also roasted by 49th) and thank goodness we have tons of choice now!!!

De Ville opens today, or so I heard- I'm checking it out tomorrow- 2nd floor of art central!

Old Posted May 26, 2008, 10:00 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWin View Post
I just stepped out of the office to get a cappuccino at Artigiano. It has become my favorite coffee place downtown. On the way, I decided to go to Good Earth instead, just up the stairs from Artigiano in the +15.

I would say the cappuccino they made was at least as good. Maybe better. Now I'm not a coffee expert but I know when I like something.

Still, I think there is a long way to go to beat Phil and Sebastian. At least of the places I've tried.
Good Earth has done a great job of stepping up its coffee program- they even had a barista competing at the PRBC last weekend- Karine Ng, not sure which one she works at. She didn't make it to the finals but just to have a chain there was impressive since all the others were from indies or small-batch roasters.

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 1:52 AM
effete latte-lifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrycanuck View Post
You can get AAAA at the Bear's Den- which I've heard nothing but great things about.

We have our own anniversaire soon (#13) and are trying to come up with a resto- I'd like to try Alloy but partner wants The Trough in Canmore... anybody been to either?
Decided yet? or has it happened yet?

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 2:03 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwhit View Post
Decided yet? or has it happened yet?
June 1- he's in Wpg at a conference, home weds, we'll decide then I guess. We don't make a big deal of our anniv but it's a good excuse for a nice meal.

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 2:38 PM

^^My wife went to Alloy several months ago and said it was excellent. Knowing her, she likely started with an appie and had a salad for her main course - can't really speak for the heartier offerings.

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 8:07 PM
Editor

Quote:
I've only had the latte at Artigiano, but I would say it's as good as a latte Caffe Beano, and is roughly the same price. I haven't tried Bumpy's though.

Caffee Beano is actually the place I go to the most, but if I'm downtown, I'll definitely go to Artigiano.

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 8:29 PM
effete latte-lifter

Quote:
June 1- he's in Wpg at a conference, home weds, we'll decide then I guess. We don't make a big deal of our anniv but it's a good excuse for a nice meal.
Well, if you choose Bear's Den I'd be really happy if you posted your report here too (after it inevitably goes on Chowhound.)

I'm in Pittsburgh right now, when you order a sandwich and fries, the fries go on the sandwich, as does the coleslaw.

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 8:51 PM

Looks like Kawa's officially open.... they were putting up a banner this morning.

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Was the cup of coffee $15.00? If so, then it probably is over rated. that's too much to pay for a cup of coffee IMO.

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 9:52 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
Was the cup of coffee $15.00? If so, then it probably is over rated. that's too much to pay for a cup of coffee IMO.
Sigh. The $15 cup is for the Panama La Esmerelda, which sells for $130 a pound. That lot is finished (for this year), all sold and consumed. Most cups from Artigiano are the same as at any quality cafe- in fact the prices are pretty much the same for much poorer coffee at Starbucks.

How people got the idea that EVERY coffee at Artigiano is $15 a cup is understandable considering the hype around the Esmerelda, but please, let's stop bringing this up.

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 9:55 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
Looks like Kawa's officially open.... they were putting up a banner this morning.
Yep- but overloaded with people buying food- they're not set up for huge-scale food purchases (one guy from the upstairs office bldg came in and ordered 20 sandwiches for example)- their kitchen isn't set up for that sort of thing- yes they're doing great business but got more than they bargained for in this respect. All part of the learning curve and being downtown (as opposed to Cochrane) I guess.

Their coffee is absolutely superb btw.

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 11:27 PM
is watching.

Quote:
Sigh. The $15 cup is for the Panama La Esmerelda, which sells for $130 a pound. That lot is finished (for this year), all sold and consumed.
You mean Panama Esmeralda Especial from Hacienda La Esmeralda

Old Posted May 28, 2008, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Sigh. The $15 cup is for the Panama La Esmerelda, which sells for $130 a pound. That lot is finished (for this year), all sold and consumed. Most cups from Artigiano are the same as at any quality cafe- in fact the prices are pretty much the same for much poorer coffee at Starbucks.

How people got the idea that EVERY coffee at Artigiano is $15 a cup is understandable considering the hype around the Esmerelda, but please, let's stop bringing this up.
Damn I missed the special stuff! I was going to try a cup, if anything, just to say I tried a 15 buck cup of coffee.

Old Posted May 28, 2008, 2:42 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Grizzly View Post
Damn I missed the special stuff! I was going to try a cup, if anything, just to say I tried a 15 buck cup of coffee.
I'll make you a cup for $16!

Old Posted May 28, 2008, 2:55 AM

$20.00 a cup over here!

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 5:39 AM
Editor

Quote:

That's what I thought when I went there the other day. The latte was something like $3.99, and was was very good. Noticeably better than Starbucks, even for a coffee hack like myself.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation