HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Oct 10, 2008, 8:39 PM
Round Head

Calgary really needs some Cambodian food. Seriously, it's amazing, but the only place I've found it in Canada is Kingston, which has a good 4 or 5 Cambodian restaurants.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2008, 12:17 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

arriviste- very nice website and nice looking menu too- but pet peeve: Rice is THE MOST important component in a Thai meal (noodles are actually Chinese imports, given Thai accents of course), and rice is extra on this menu- at Thai places I've been to in other cities, a server will come to each table with a massive and ornate metal bowl of rice and pile (PILE) it onto each diner's plate, and refill when the plate is empty. This notion that rice is a side dish is really annoying, especially when, if you've actually had a curry dished up properly-heaping plate of perfect jasmine rice, curry added to make a sort of slurry, consumed with a SPOON and not a fork or (God help you) chopsticks so you get to taste every morsel and all the textures-- it's like heaven.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2008, 3:51 AM
What we play is life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrycanuck View Post
arriviste- very nice website and nice looking menu too- but pet peeve: Rice is THE MOST important component in a Thai meal (noodles are actually Chinese imports, given Thai accents of course), and rice is extra on this menu- at Thai places I've been to in other cities, a server will come to each table with a massive and ornate metal bowl of rice and pile (PILE) it onto each diner's plate, and refill when the plate is empty. This notion that rice is a side dish is really annoying, especially when, if you've actually had a curry dished up properly-heaping plate of perfect jasmine rice, curry added to make a sort of slurry, consumed with a SPOON and not a fork or (God help you) chopsticks so you get to taste every morsel and all the textures-- it's like heaven.
I never even noticed! They seem to give me free rice... Hopefully thats the same across the board. I seriously have never been charged though.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2008, 6:03 AM
effete latte-lifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arriviste View Post
Okay, I've apparently walked right past this place twice a day for awhile without noticing it. I'm heading straight there after the weekend.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2008, 1:41 PM

Went to Big Fish on Edmonton Trail on Friday for dinner. I was happy with it. Had a nice casual atmosphere... nothing pretentious about it, along with some great food. A really nice mix of casual atmosphere and upscale-ish tasting and looking food.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2008, 4:45 PM

Has anyone eaten at La Vita e Bella (Formerly Boccocino Trattoria) on 12th and 4St SE? I'm going there for lunch and I'm wondering if it's good, Boccocino's used to be really good.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2008, 7:29 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc View Post
Has anyone eaten at La Vita e Bella (Formerly Boccocino Trattoria) on 12th and 4St SE? I'm going there for lunch and I'm wondering if it's good, Boccocino's used to be really good.
Never eaten there johnny but reviews have been good. I took a look at their room(s) and menu over Stampede and it definitely looked like a class act but with reasonable prices.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2008, 9:01 PM

I'm excited that they have Calzones, I've been trying to find a place that sells Calzones downtown for a long time.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2008, 9:08 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

From the horse's mouth: DeVille will be opening a second location in Colours. This one will be more food-focussed than the one in Art Central but will also have a coffee bar and will also be serving the (outstanding, really outstanding) coffees from Chicago's Intelligentsia Roasters.

Deville is a joint venture with Saint Germain, so its proximity to it, in Colours, makes sense.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2008, 9:39 PM

Quote:
From the horse's mouth: DeVille will be opening a second location in Colours. This one will be more food-focussed than the one in Art Central but will also have a coffee bar and will also be serving the (outstanding, really outstanding) coffees from Chicago's Intelligentsia Roasters.

Deville is a joint venture with Saint Germain, so its proximity to it, in Colours, makes sense.
I'm not familiar with Colours... where is this?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberFive View Post
I'm not familiar with Colours... where is this?
Colours is one of the nearly finished condo towers on 1st Street

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Oct 16, 2008, 10:24 PM
effete latte-lifter

Quote:

That is awesome. I have a friend who lives in the Lewis Lofts who became a regular at the Art Central location as soon as he moved here. Now he'll be a regular at both I'm sure.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2008, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertie Wooster View Post
Calgary really needs some Cambodian food. Seriously, it's amazing, but the only place I've found it in Canada is Kingston, which has a good 4 or 5 Cambodian restaurants.
I've never tried Cambodian. Is it much diffeent than Vietnamese?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2008, 9:51 PM
Editor

Quote:

That's fantastic news Furry. With Starbuck's on the northeast corner, and Jameson's Pub on the northwest corner, and now DeVille going into colors, that area is transforming instantly.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2008, 6:48 AM
SSP member:12,803

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D View Post
Apparently Mr. Mikes Steakhouse & Bar will be opening in Calgary and Airdrie in 2008.

http://www.mrmikes.ca/
It looks like a Mr.Mikes is locating at Southland Crossing.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2008, 7:16 AM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calalb View Post
It looks like a Mr.Mikes is locating at Southland Crossing.
That's good to know. Where the Red Robin used to be?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2008, 7:25 AM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Grizzly View Post
I've never tried Cambodian. Is it much diffeent than Vietnamese?
I have tried Cambodian in Berkeley/Oakland and I like it. Cambodian is closer to Thai than Vietnamese cuisine with major influences from India and China. Curries made with coconut milk, and rice is essential of course.

an interesting quick read:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuisine_of_Cambodia

Old Posted Oct 22, 2008, 7:29 AM
SSP member:12,803

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
That's good to know. Where the Red Robin used to be?
Yes, that does look like the spot.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2008, 3:37 PM
Calgreedian

Interesting e-mail I received:

Quote:

Janice Beaton Fine Cheese

Our casual tasting kitchen is open! Experience simple, wholesome and exquisite foods served small-plate style - perfect for gathering and exploring beautiful new flavours and textures.

Thoughtfully prepared and thoughtfully paired...from a simple cheese and charcuterie board, to bubbling mac and cheese or a duck confit salad, we have the perfect wine or beer match. Leave it all up to us!

Muse over our daily whimsies, such as terrine de foie with apricots and a glass of Moscato d'Asti. Taste one of Chef Adam's feature creations: carrot-orange soup with ginger mint cream, rounded out by Big Rock's seasonal Winter Spice beer. Like the combination of chocolate and raspberries? Try FARM's chocolate chip cookies served alongside an effervescent raspberry-flavoured beer.

Gather your friends and family. Have a little bit of this and a little bit of that.
Then go next door to JBFC's new Mount Royal cheese shop (adjoining FARM) to take home all your favourites.

1006 - 17 Avenue SW, Calgary, AB

Sunday to Wednesday 11 am to 2 pm; 5 pm to 11 pm
Thursday to Saturday 11 am to 2 pm; 5 pm to 1 am

Phone 403.245.2276

www.farm-restaurant.com
"The point is, ladies and gentlemen, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind."

Old Posted Oct 24, 2008, 4:02 AM
of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calalb View Post
Yes, that does look like the spot.
Isn't the Mr. Mikes already open? It appeared to be a couple of nights ago. If not, any idea what the opening date is? Been to the one in Okotoks a couple of times. Just too far to go.

The place brings back memories from being a kid. The restaurant doesn't have the look and feel that it did back then but the Mike Burger still tastes the same.
All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation