HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
Used to love it as a kid.
Love that you went down there as a kid!

But I am a bit surprised, because I'm very used to Québécoise in big numbers throughout midcoast Maine, but not all the way down to basically the Mass border. Was this in the late 80s? That was probably peak trashiness level for Hampton Beach; they've cleaned it up quite a bit now and it feels a lot more like Ogunquit and York Beach.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 2:38 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
But I am a bit surprised, because I'm very used to Québécoise in big numbers throughout midcoast Maine...
I'm interested in what this Québécoise "in big numbers" looked like (and what that even means), and why she was all over the midcoast of Maine.

Heh...

I think what you meant to say was les Québécois. Or just "Quebeckers."

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 2:55 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimbusNJ View Post
After lurking for a while, I registered just to reinforce this sentiment! Some of the beach towns in Monmouth County are absolute gems.

Maybe the most walkable - and the most wonderfully surreal - beach town in Monmouth County is Ocean Grove (bird's eye view here), a not-quite independent quasi-municipality where all the land is owned by the Ocean Grove Camp Meeting Association, a Methodist organization that established Ocean Grove as a seaside retreat in the mid nineteenth century. Ocean Grove initially was an independent municipality controlled by the Camp Meeting Association, and the town's ordinances had a decidedly religious bent: it was (and is) a dry town and, until the 1980s, you could not drive a car on Sundays. Some time in the 1980s, the town's charter was yanked on the basis (I believe) that having a municipality controlled by a religious organization flew in the face of the establishment clause of the US Constitution. Now, cars can drive around on Sunday, but all the land is still owned by the Camp Meeting Association - homeowners merely rent the land on 99-year leases, which are renewable every 99 years for $1.

Anyway, the 60s and 70s were hard on Ocean Grove. Like other Jersey Shore towns, tourist traffic dropped with the onset of the jet age. Race riots roiled its neighbor to the immediate north, Asbury Park. Coinciding with the decline in tourism was New Jersey's policy of deinstitutionalization, whereby psychiatric patients were released from state hospitals in an effort to streamline them into society. As Ocean Grove and Asbury Park had a wealth of underused hotels, boarding houses, and oversized Victorian homes, many of them went Section 8, and the State of New Jersey essentially absolved itself of responsibility for the mentally ill by warehousing them by the sea. Ocean Grove got the sobriquet "Ocean Grave", while Asbury Park, for its part, would later get the nickname "Sarajevo by the Sea".

The upside of the decades of neglect and religious control is that Ocean Grove never fell victim to short-sighted development schemes or urban renewal. It is a world-class collection of Victorian resort architecture with wonderfully intimate streets and short, condensed blocks. Now that times are better, homes, B&Bs and businesses have been beautifully restored. The religious control has loosened to some extent - There's no need to adhere to religious dogma to own (or rather, lease on a long-term basis) property in the town, and there's a substantial gay community, buttressed by the presence of Asbury Park to the north. It's still a dry town, but a two-minute walk across Wesley Lake is all that separates the bars and restaurants of Asbury Park from the stuck-in-time charm of Ocean Grove.

One of the weirdest, greatest things about the town is its tents. There's a tent colony set up around Ocean Grove's Great Auditorium, a vestige of its old-time religious revival days. Hundreds of semi-permanent tents set up each summer. The waiting list to get a plot is probably measured in generations.

I'll have to do a photo tour of Ocean Grove this summer, since photos that do the place justice are remarkably hard to find online.

OG is great, but you do know there is more than one chautauqua retreat around america right? they are kind of similar.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
I'm interested in what this Québécoise "in big numbers" looked like (and what that even means), and why she was all over the midcoast of Maine.

Heh...

I think what you meant to say was les Québécois. Or just "Quebeckers."
Ha! That's what I get for venturing outside of bad Spanish and average Japanese. I do know how to say the proper demonym for people from Quebec, just not how to spell it.

And to answer your question on what they looked like: super white

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 2:32 PM

Water temps are still in the low to mid 70s here in South Florida. Of course that's "COLD A F!!!!" to us, but the fat, speedo wearing, no tipping Quebeckers love it.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 2:35 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Are the Quebecois still wearing speedos in Florida? Funny if they are, because in Canada, they are usually ahead of the curve for fashion; certainly so in Montreal. In Montreal, Americans are loved on account of their propensity to give big tips, whereas Europeans are not as beloved on account of their skin flintiness.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Are the Quebecois still wearing speedos in Florida? Funny if they are, because in Canada, they are usually ahead of the curve for fashion; certainly so in Montreal. In Montreal, Americans are loved on account of their propensity to give big tips, whereas Europeans are not as beloved on account of their skin flintiness.
No idea really, but that's the stereotype. There's still a lot of speedos on the beach. Are they Canadian, Italian, Brazilian, gay or just really really confident? Who's to say.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
OG is great, but you do know there is more than one chautauqua retreat around america right? they are kind of similar.
Hm, I'm not actually familiar with what a Chautaqua retreat is.

I think one of the main charms of Ocean Grove to me is that, even if its population swells in summer, it is a real town (well, not an independent town - it is now part of Neptune Township, NJ) with a substantial year-round population. It has an incredible sense of place and a substantial built heritage - AND it's literally next to the downtown of Asbury Park, which makes for a great contrast and makes up for the fact that OG's a dry town.

Quote:

But I am a bit surprised, because I'm very used to Québécoise in big numbers throughout midcoast Maine, but not all the way down to basically the Mass border. Was this in the late 80s? That was probably peak trashiness level for Hampton Beach; they've cleaned it up quite a bit now and it feels a lot more like Ogunquit and York Beach.
When I was living in Montreal (2006-2010), I was always amused at the volume of Old Orchard Beach / Wildwood, NJ knick-knacks that I'd find in thrift shops. I had the opportunity to go to Old Orchard last summer - which I had always been told was kind of a honky-tonk dump - and was really pleasantly surprised. Nice town with a beautiful beach. And it really is like an outport of Quebec - or Laval anyway. No speedos that I can remember, more like a francophone "Jersey Shore" (the show, not the place), for better or for worse (mostly worse).

Last edited by GrimbusNJ; Jan 16, 2015 at 3:44 PM.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 4:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickell View Post
Water temps are still in the low to mid 70s here in South Florida. Of course that's "COLD A F!!!!" to us, but the fat, speedo wearing, no tipping Quebeckers love it.
I wish our water temps would stay in the 70s. Usually it's a brief period in August where we hit 72.

Currently water temp is 60-62 and everyone is so excited it's so warm this year because of El Niño. Should be in the high 50s. Hate to always have to put on a 3,4 full suit.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
I wish our water temps would stay in the 70s. Usually it's a brief period in August where we hit 72.

Currently water temp is 60-62 and everyone is so excited it's so warm this year because of El Niño. Should be in the high 50s. Hate to always have to put on a 3,4 full suit.

Seriously. That's why I've never really understood the hype about SoCal beaches. The water is always freezing, and even along the coast with the exception of maybe 2 months out of the year, it's never really even that "hot" .

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 5:50 PM
life is good

Whut? I'm a noob so I will defer to ya'll but I find the water temp at LA beaches pleasant year round. Come on - it's always sunny and in the afternoon (in direct sun) it's quite hot. But then I like getting in the water in Florida during the winter too.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 5:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
Whut? I'm a noob so I will defer to ya'll but I find the water temp at LA beaches pleasant year round. Come on - it's always sunny and in the afternoon (in direct sun) it's quite hot. But then I like getting in the water in Florida during the winter too.
I agree with you. Hard to beat coastal Southern California in the weather department. A little gloomy May/June, but it burns off and makes our summers pleasant.

I wish the water temp would be a tad warmer though.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 6:18 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Texas has Galveston. It's a city of about ~60,000 with buildings dating back to the 1890s. Many of its buildings were destroyed in the 1900 hurricane that also killed at least 5,000 people.

This building was built in 1895, and was designed by the same architect that did the Texas Capitol - Elijah E. Myers.

The beach:

Photos by me.
All you need is a Starbucks cup with rum and coke and Galveston is the most walkable beach city in the states,especially during the winter. Just don't fall off the sea wall

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 8:32 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
Seriously. That's why I've never really understood the hype about SoCal beaches. The water is always freezing, and even along the coast with the exception of maybe 2 months out of the year, it's never really even that "hot" .
Hold on a minute...you're saying that the water in California is cold? Really? Isn't California supposed to be a warm/hot place that people flock to?

And now you're telling us that the water is cold?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Are the Quebecois still wearing speedos in Florida? Funny if they are, because in Canada, they are usually ahead of the curve for fashion; certainly so in Montreal.
But the Ft Lauderdale set aren't the fashionista type at all.

There's also a big selection bias for age. Older people are often stuck in 'their' era, fashion-wise. (Not saying they don't have the right to... )

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Hold on a minute...you're saying that the water in California is cold? Really? Isn't California supposed to be a warm/hot place that people flock to?

In summer it's acceptable, esp. late summer (though really colder than Florida) but in winter you need a wetsuit, yes.

There's a cold current going down the coast from northern BC and Alaska, so the water is pretty cold compared to one would expect given the latitude basically everywhere in CA.

The climate on land though, in the south of the state, is damn near perfect by general human standards. Dry, sunny, and pleasantly warm/hot.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 2:40 AM

Quote:

Ya west coast beaches suck

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 4:29 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Chautauqua? Ocean Park (Maine), where I used to vacation, was founded for this purpose. They'd rent their cabins/cottages to us heathen Quebecois regardless. I spent many a summer in that village. Lovely place, really. Just a few miles south of the much gaudier Old Orchard Beach.

http://www.oceanpark.org/

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:

I was there in the sixties. Later, my dad would drive us down to Atlantic City, a bit of Ocean City NJ and then he settled on Laconia New Hampshire in the early seventies on Lake Winnipesaukee. I remember getting an autograph from David McCallum who played in "The Man from U.N.C.L.E." T.V. show and seeing Phyllis Diller at a K-Mart there. Laconia was a sweet place and the lake was not as exciting as the ocean but great nonetheless for a city kid.

I should also mention the couple of summers I spent at Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia which were pretty impressive. I took my own kids there about ten years ago and went to an incredibly beautiful provincial beach park called "The Singing Sands". Hard to beat for natural beauty and amenities in spite of its small size.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions