HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 4, 2015, 5:09 AM
cities|transit|croissants

^
Have you seen the Ohio capitol building? There are approximately 49 better ones out there for tourists to see. Maybe 48 (Alaska's is pretty uninteresting).

Old Posted Jan 4, 2015, 5:13 AM
Never Dell

Capitol vs. zoo? That might depend on whether you're counting tourists or all visitors.

Actually both probably get a lot of locals.

There's a huge dichotomy in tourist stats. Actually multiple dichotomies. But this one is about whether to include locals in the counts for individual "tourist" attractions. Another is whether to include the person who stands outside the capitol for a photo but doesn't go in or goes in for a few minutes. Zoo attendees pay admission in most cities, and they almost universally stick around for a while. Or how about the average big mall that talks about ten million visitors but probably the vast majority are the same locals who each visit 10-200 times per year.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2015, 5:20 AM
cities|transit|croissants

Anyway, DC's relationship to tourists is perhaps a bit unusual. In general, Washingtonians stereotype tourists as being busloads full of conservative midwestern middle-schoolers, all wearing matching t-shirts, who are here to 'MURICA, and who are too afraid of minorities to leave the designated tourist ghetto (ie the National Mall).

We're annoyed by tourists' inability to use the Metro correctly, inability to tell apart the White House from the US Capitol, and unwillingness to believe there's an interesting city beyond the Mall. We don't care much about their money, but we tolerate and excuse them anyway because we also love the Mall and the Smithsonian museums ourselves, because they're national treasures dammit and so people should come and see them.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2015, 6:07 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
According to this website, San Francisco hosted 16.9 million visitors in 2013 who spent $9.38 billion, which worked out to 134,231 visitors spending $25.7 million in the city every day. I'm sure 2014 was even better. Tourism is San Francisco's other big industry.

People from everywhere come for all sorts of reasons, and not to seem like a homer, but San Francisco has a lot to offer those who show up, from wherever, for whatever reason.

Like most San Franciscans, I avoid Fisherman's Wharf like the plague and limit my exposure to North Beach, but I love the Union Square/Market Street shopping district and so that is where I come into the most contact with tourists. It's usually crowded down there, so I experience them more in the context of mobility issues than in terms of personal interactions. However, when I encounter tourists in my neighborhood I will absolutely offer directions if needed (this happened last week--German tourists headed to the hipster enclave along Valencia Street). I don't know why, but I like encountering tourists off the beaten track more than I do when I'm downtown.
You guys are incredibly nice to us tourists. I once had two people (who were obviously walking home from work) walk us to a movie theater just because I asked where one was. It must have taken them 20 minutes out of their way.

Just one of the many reasons why I love SF.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2015, 6:13 AM
Ex Houstonian

Don't really get many tourists in Pittsburgh, other than suburban tourists driving into the city to see a dumb football game or hockey game. The few tourists that do come here go up to mt Washington for the view and university of pittsburgh to see the cathedral of learning. Wish this city had more tourists.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2015, 8:07 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
An apt discussion of this issue appeared in a local news blog:

Opinion: How a tourism guide got Asheville wrong, and repairing the damage done

It's in regards to Asheville's latest accolade, an appearance on Good Morning, America in which Pauline Frommer of the Frommer's travel guides names Asheville as a must-see destination this year due to the fact that the New Belgium brewery has transformed the River District from sketchy to inviting. The post notes that as of 2012, tourism supports 23,000 jobs in Asheville, and tourists spent $1.5 billion, which is up from the figures I was able to find and quote in my original post.

The problem with this is that New Belgium had nothing to do with that transformation and was in fact attracted to that part of town due to the hard work, years of it, that's gone on to make it the arts district that it is today.

Some quotes:

Frommer’s statement was simply wrong. New Belgium’s brewery remains a work in progress. Its opening is a year away. New Belgium’s presence is certainly accelerating the development of amenities in the area, but changes along the stretch of the French Broad River near the New Belgium Brewery site on Craven Street have been happening for decades. Artists, small business owners and nonprofits have brought creative life, commerce and environmental clean-up.

And also:

But the mistake in describing Asheville’s ascendance also comes as many residents worry about the lack of good-paying jobs, low wages and the high cost of housing. Change is happening quickly across the city, and residents are being left behind. The economic recovery has not buoyed everyone, and many of those who work in service of the tourists remain underpaid and undervalued.

In a deeper sense, the blunder pulls apart Asheville community. It obscures the story of Asheville in a way that rubs out its history and its legacy. It disrespects those who have given the city the soul and authenticity so many tourism officials and marketers are hawking to visitors. It creates rifts at a time when those who care about the heart of the city should be coming together to protect it.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Jan 4, 2015, 12:52 PM

I like watching tourists because I like seeing people enjoy the city, and I'm happy to help with directions or questions or whatever. They can get annoying too though, like when I'm in a non-touristy area doing my thing, and a giant tour bus rolls by with the tour guide pointing things out...the worst are the "urban safari" buses that are painted like zebras.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2015, 1:38 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Orlando is always interesting tourism wise. I find that the summer is a big time for European tourists. Especially the Brits. The hotel I stayed at is frequented by Brits. I felt like I was the only American there at times.

Winter is where many Americans visit the city, and its attractions in the nearby satellites. International Drive is dangerous though for pedestrians, and in general, the road is clogged. In terms of industry, its heavily dependent on tourists. Thats a given. Also is in the top 3 for most visited U.S. cities.

The summer can be brutal, especially in August where it feels like a sauna and is in the upper 90's. Best time to visit being winter, but its also where the hotels surge the prices. Daytona Beach I also recommend in the winter. It can feel kinda dead in the summer, like most of central Florida. Probably due to the heat. Best time to visit is during bike week.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2015, 4:28 PM
Bah!

We actually do get tourists around here, not lots but we appreciate the ones we do get.
The biggest draws here are the Mississippi River, Rock Island Arsenal and, believe it or not, John Deere. There are some real JD aficionados out there. I'm surprised that many of the are from huge metro areas, Europe or Asia.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2015, 9:53 PM
Environmental Sabotage

One thing for sure is that LA will be a much better tourist destination when the Expo Line is completed and connects Downtown with Santa Monica Beach and the purple line connects West Hollywood, Beverly Hills and Westwood with Downtown. I'd recommend tourists stay in a hotel Downtown. Santa Monica, Hollywood and Pasadena are accessible (or will be soon) by subway or light rail.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2015, 4:12 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
Bigger than the Ohio Capitol building?
Most people in Columbus don't even know where it is. They think the LeVeque Tower is.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2015, 4:22 AM

Boston loves tourists, and we tend to get "good" ones from Europe and Quebec who spend lots of money while behaving well. This somewhat offsets all the domestic students who don't spend a dime more than necessary. I'm fairly certain Boston gets more foreign tourists than domestic tourists, which makes sense given its location vis-a-vis the rest of the country.

Brits and Québécois can't get enough Boston and that's fine by us!

Old Posted Jan 5, 2015, 4:30 AM

As for Tokyo...

Leadership here desperately wants to increase tourism revenue; the issue is that the vast majority of incremental tourism to Japan is coming from mainland China, and large segments of Japanese society are awfully uncomfortable with that. You see train, subway, station, and major street signs in English and Korean throughout the city, even though Chinese tourists and business travelers outnumber all English speakers and Korean speakers combined a few times over for any given month.

And of course it's hard to say no to Mainland money, which is substantial and growing at ever-increasing rates.

Now, the Mainland tourists who can afford to stay in Japan for a week are not the types who need to be reminded not to let their kids shit on the street or on the floor of a museum (re: the sign only in Chinese in the Louvre forbiding people from urinating or defecating wherever they want). But this is the unshaken image of the Mainland tourist.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2015, 4:34 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
^
Have you seen the Ohio capitol building? There are approximately 49 better ones out there for tourists to see. Maybe 48 (Alaska's is pretty uninteresting).
Don't push it, Maryland. While the Ohio Statehouse isn't the most ornate building of its kind, you're insane if you think it's worse than, say, New Mexico's, Florida's, Hawaii's, North Dakota's, etc.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2015, 6:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColDayMan View Post
Don't push it, Maryland. While the Ohio Statehouse isn't the most ornate building of its kind, you're insane if you think it's worse than, say, New Mexico's, Florida's, Hawaii's, North Dakota's, etc.
Don't drag Hawaii and New Mexico into this. The latter is interesting at worst, and the former is fucking awesome.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2015, 7:17 AM
The New Republic

Toronto's tourism sector is growing smartly year after year and the make up of tourists is changing. We're getting far more tourists from further a field. People are staying longer and spending a lot more each day they're here.

Reasons for visiting cover the whole gamut: business, shopping, cultural offerings, attractions, family ties, potential immigrants taking a look, day trippers, etc. 25 million showed up in 2012 but the number of arrivals has gone up each year since then.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2015, 10:12 AM
if I sang out of tune

Gawd, where to start? I like tourists coming to see my city, and it's the world's biggest industry, and a big sector for London. But there are just so many of them. I don't mind the foreign tourists so much (except for Italian tour groups who have a real knack of convening at the bottom of escalators/ tunnels or slowly passagiata down Oxford St), theyre 17 million, but the native ones, at a whopping 150 million a year can really clog things up. I notice most foreign visitors have done the research or noticed early on/ read the signs every 3 ft that one stands on the right on an escalator, so people on the left can walk up if they want to be speedier. Native tourists however just don't do this. I live near a big arena, and whenever there's a a concert on, the train is jammed with out-of-towners (who don't move down the carriage and therefore don't let others on), and all 7 escalators at my stop will be jammed with two people standing abreast. Outside London they don't have this rule, so Brits often think it's fine, just like a shopping mall. Theyre not in a foreign country either so aren't as alert to the signage. You don't see this with foreign tourists so much, who will learn quickly after being asked to move.

All it takes is one person standing on the left and a queue can build up behind them, especially if the person behind also thinks that way. Even after the culprit at the front gets off, the queue will always be there from thereon, especially at rush hour (it actually lasts 3-4 hrs).

I know I shouldnt gripe considering the billions theyre pouring into the local economy, and I wouldn't want anyone to not come, but yeah Im a grumpy bastard in my old age.

Last edited by muppet; Jan 5, 2015 at 10:35 AM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2015, 10:55 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
Now, the Mainland tourists who can afford to stay in Japan for a week are not the types who need to be reminded not to let their kids shit on the street or on the floor of a museum (re: the sign only in Chinese in the Louvre forbiding people from urinating or defecating wherever they want). But this is the unshaken image of the Mainland tourist.
You've got my attention... Could you tell me more about that image and why that's a thing?
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Jan 5, 2015, 1:30 PM
The Vomit Bag.

London, Ontario is for lovers.

Actually, the place is about as exciting as Pat Sajak or plain Melba Toast. A nice place to live, but I wouldn't want to visit. Probably seems very exciting for the god-fearing farmfolk of the surrounding region.

But then, I originally hail from the Sodom and Gomorrah of Canada (Montreal). You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2015, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet View Post
...the native ones, at a whopping 150 million a year can really clog things up.
London has had that problem for hundreds of years. It's amusing to read very old books and characters in the books complain about the country folk clogging things up in London.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions