HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 2:31 AM
Freakbirthed

San Antonio weighs annexation plan

http://www.wsj.com/articles/san-anto...DS=san+antonio

San Antonio is moving ahead with plans to annex as much as 66 square miles around it, a land grab that would add as many as 200,000 people to the city and potentially make it the nation’s fifth-largest metropolis.

The San Antonio City Council this month voted in favor of conducting a fiscal analysis of the proposed annexation. The process requires further council approval and the annexation would take about four years to complete. City leaders say the move would allow San Antonio, currently the nation’s seventh-largest city with 1.4 million people, to better manage growth and remain economically vibrant.

If the annexation occurs, San Antonio could break into the ranks of the top five biggest U.S. cities, behind New York, Los Angeles, Chicago and Houston and ahead of Philadelphia and Phoenix, now Nos. 5 and 6......

saw this in the WSJ. Amazing that Texas will have 2 of the 5 largest cities in the US.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 2:53 AM

I know the haters are going to complain about sprawl. But San Antonio is very fortunate to be able to do this instead of being surrounded by suburbs that it can't tax.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
I know the haters are going to complain about sprawl. But San Antonio is very fortunate to be able to do this instead of being surrounded by suburbs that it can't tax.
you're damn right i'll complain. and give me a break about texas having these "large cities". didn't houston annex a bunch of land for years? helps when these cities can artificially inflate their population numbers.

ridiculous.

edit: "But San Antonio is very fortunate to be able to do this instead of being surrounded by suburbs that it can't tax." makes less sense the more i read it. what cities can tax other surrounding cities?

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 3:17 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

good for them, most cities should do it.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j korzeniowski View Post
you're damn right i'll complain. and give me a break about texas having these "large cities". didn't houston annex a bunch of land for years? helps when these cities can artificially inflate their population numbers.

ridiculous.

edit: "But San Antonio is very fortunate to be able to do this instead of being surrounded by suburbs that it can't tax." makes less sense the more i read it. what cities can tax other surrounding cities?
If San Antonio didn't annex the area it would eventually turn into a bunch of self governing suburbs. How is that a better option?

Your main concern seems to be where cities rank on some population list. We all know that Metro population is the true measurement of a city, and not the city proper population. This doesn't change the Metro population. Texas Metros are growing fast because people are moving there - not because the central cities are annexing.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 3:22 AM
See ya down under, mates

San Antonio drops down to 27th when talking about metro area according to wikipedia. And metro is all that really matters. I live in a city of 50,000 that's really a city of 2,400,000 in half the physical area of metro San Antonio.

Annexation is not good. That is how you end up with people like Rob Ford as mayor. I'll take my 22 small cities any day.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 3:32 AM
Paradise Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
Annexation is not good. That is how you end up with people like Rob Ford as mayor. I'll take my 22 small cities any day.
This was what I was thinking too. The last thing I want is for Michelle Bachmann to be mayor of Minneapolis.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 3:37 AM

Quote:
...Annexation is not good. That is how you end up with people like Rob Ford as mayor. I'll take my 22 small cities any day.
I blame the alcohol...and crack.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 3:50 AM

Quote:
San Antonio drops down to 27th when talking about metro area according to wikipedia. And metro is all that really matters. I live in a city of 50,000 that's really a city of 2,400,000 in half the physical area of metro San Antonio.

I like using county populations; either you get the entire (or "entire") city, like Philadelphia, San Francisco, Indianapolis, etc; or you get the inner suburbs, but leave out the far-flung places that can count in MSA and CSA populations (like Elkton and Cecil County, Maryland, as part of Philadelphia's MSA).

As far as annexation goes, I am kind of neutral on it. On one hand, a city can control what goes on far away from the central city, which is good for them. On the other hand, if a pocket of people away from the central city want to govern themselves, then it's good for them to keep their interests in mind without having to compromise for other neighborhoods in a big city.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 4:10 AM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:

The vast majority of Calgary's suburbs are within the municipal limits and they have a very progressive, liberal mayor. The "suburbs elected Rob Ford" trope is simplistic at best, but this isn't the right forum for that discussion.

There are pros and cons to annexation really. The dilution of a city's urban agenda is certainly a con. But at the same time it allows for less competition between municipalities for tax income, and a more comprehensive approach to planning. The ideal situation may be a strong regional government with smaller municipalities controlling more local agendas. But there can be issues with duplication of service there too.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 4:32 AM

If you're talking Texas, this could really screw with San Antonio's politics. The same will eventually happen with Fort Worth as well.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 5:23 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

Quote:
As far as annexation goes, I am kind of neutral on it. On one hand, a city can control what goes on far away from the central city, which is good for them. On the other hand, if a pocket of people away from the central city want to govern themselves, then it's good for them to keep their interests in mind without having to compromise for other neighborhoods in a big city.
I think it's kind of too late.

In Texas and some other states, cities have an extraterritorial jurisdiction buffer which can be up to 5 miles from their boundaries. Another city or a newly founded one can't easily grab land inside this area. Though in time city boundaries in metro areas tend to abut one another anyways.

San Antonio has a lot of very tiny suburban municipalities in it's metro, but they are all basically self governing subdivisions from the 60s and 70s with a strip mall on the edge to harvest sales tax revenue from and not anything which people would want to create now.

Last edited by llamaorama; Dec 23, 2014 at 6:32 AM.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 5:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
Not really. The city is taking on the liabilities as well as the assets. Obviously just annexing more land isn't inherently more revenue-friendly than not doing so. It depends on the situation.
SF and Boston would probably be poorer if they annexed adjacent towns. Dallas and Houston would probably be richer if they de-annexed parts of their city.

It also means that city policy will increasingly be controlled by voters who have interests opposed to urban interests. Transit, affordable housing, and redistributive programs will suffer.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 6:09 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

I guess there's the notion of preventing competition. Dallas is probably worse off that Plano exists and poaches jobs constantly. And it's mayors haven't necessarily been that amazing. San Antonio has had more progressive leadership despite being closer to a uni-city.

Houston gobbled up it's suburban rivals and it did end up with suburbanite leadership for a time in the 1990s. That former mayor, Bob Lanier also just died recently. BUT he was an old-school progressive who pushed for all kinds of improvements for poor neighborhoods and was only "conservative" in the sense of being anti-rail and suburban minded in his vision for the city/region.

But then yeah, Fort Worth seems like a stick in the mud. Splashy vision for downtown, but mediocre investment into ordinary neighborhoods or everyday public services compared to what the other cities in the state do.

Last edited by llamaorama; Dec 23, 2014 at 6:45 AM.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 1:43 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Maybe this is a ploy to get more federal dollars due to the larger population?

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 2:51 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:

yes and yes.

Vancouver seemed fine with its fragmented municipal government (I lived there for 5 years). As did my hometown, Montreal (which undid its megacity a few years after implementation). I haven't seen a single benefit from the amalgamation of the former Metro Toronto boroughs into Toronto. On the other hand, they ended up with Mel Lastman, and then, much worse still, Rob Ford.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 4:32 PM

more cities should be doing this

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 4:58 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Boston would probably be poorer if they annexed adjacent towns.
Most of the neighbors of Boston are the rich ones that resisted annexation in the past; Cambridge, Somerville, Brookline, Newton, Medford, Arlington.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 5:15 PM
life is good

If San Antonio does this and gets a top 5 city population there should definitely be an asterisk involved.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 6:20 PM

What difference does it make unless you happen to live there?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions