HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 5:01 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
If the state decides it is going to screw over communities by attacking what voters can chose...Or goes so far as to implement some kind of TABOR property tax law that bankrupts the place I live and one day I find the roads are potholed and the police didn't respond to my neighbors burglary call, I'll have a different opinion about remaining in this state. I'm young, a recent graduate, and why the hell don't I just move to Oregon or somewhere else that gets it?
Two things, it's not a question of "if" neoconfederates engaged in what they have deluded themselves into believing is an existential culture war, will use every trick they can muster to wage that war on the rest of civilized society. The only question is, what depths will they sink to, to try and "win" something fundamentally unwinnable? Do you really want to stick around a place where they'll be the voting majority for years to come and find out?

Second, as someone in my 40s, who is finally pulling up roots and relocating states after 20+ years of hoping against hope that the neoconfederates here in Florida would somehow magically turn into decent human beings, take my advice and move now before you buy property, have kids and develop your career. They never turn into decent people, they actually only get worse as they age. Wherever these people have any influence in government at any level, they use that power to f*** with everyone else, and assert their own narrow values onto people who do not share their values, and never will.

The best thing you can possibly do for your own future, is get the hell away from those kinds of people as soon as possible, and do your best to move to a place where the odds are less that such people will be able to have much influence on your life or most importantly, your children's.

FWIW, I myself am moving to Seattle in the near future. Love the city and the people, and I actually like the climate. Especially compared to FL's heat, which I've despised the entire 30 years I've lived here.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 6:15 AM
Never Dell

Awesome! --Seattleite

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 6:51 AM
Administrator

^Soon! We're going to Anchorage for a few months or more likely a year first, but we are already half owners of a 2br apt (presently rented) in Capitol Hill, which we hope to take over when the time comes. I was just out there for a day and a half before Thanksgiving to take care of that. (My gf is AK Native and I have a sister there, so it's important to us to be around family while the baby is a baby. My gf also wants to capitalize on her family connections and Native status to start a business up there in AK, and build a place that's off the grid to rent out, and use occasionally).

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions