HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 10:25 PM
Always running Late

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
Also, the Library Blocks, South BoDo or whatever it is going to be called will be built a block South and East of where this new project is going in and the Library Blocks are going to have residential units and then there is The Aspen right next door filling up with people so in time there is going to be a number of people living around JUMP. The square and park will be a great asset to them and the rest of us. I just remembered that there is supposed to be another new city block park next to the Boise Headquarters building and all of those empty lots have proposals for hotel/office. Could Boise be on the verge of another major boom????? The New York Times seems to think that Boise is going to be a city to watch once the national economy starts to turn around.
I've heard things as well.. that many of the surface blocks around this project have owners and developers working on ideas in which you mention..

It really is exciting.. many larger cities like seattle and denver saw highrise booms in down economies (late 70's early 80's)
Will boise be next? possibly... i don't see why not.... but something will need to be addressed with transportation and traffic flow in and around downtown... which is why the streetcar needs to happen

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 10:28 PM
Always running Late

Quote:
R.I.P. Emerald City Club.
Maybe they are going to negotiate to open a new club in the new project.
nobody goes there anymore.. even though it's idaho's oldest gay bar..
it's kind of sad to see it go... but... it's not like the building it was in was of architectural significance to downtown.. It would be a different story if it was full of patrons still.. but sadly everyone goes to the other gay clubs/bars in town now.. with more glitter and noise...

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 11:02 PM

Quote:
I believe boise's city blocks are similar to portland's in that they are 68,000 sqft.
By using Google Earth I calculated this property to be roughly 331,000 square feet. HUGE.

Last edited by Visualize; May 28, 2009 at 10:36 PM.

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 12:05 AM
Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiseguy View Post
I believe boise's city blocks are similar to portland's in that they are 68,000 sqft.
I think if towers are incorprated with more breaks it would look less castle-like

Also, I know that the simplot is looking to incorporate their corporate headquarters into it. I don't know if that would involve more floors or another tower of if that is what is part of the design in the top left corner...
we'll have to wait and see...
I hope that the design review does not just let this steamroll through the process because the economy is crap right now... if you're going to do something.. do it right...
I would even advocate parking to be underground and elevators to ground level being in the center of the plaza..
Thanks...that's a good point of reference for me, as I went to Portland State(in DT) for a couple years--a lot more recently than my last visit to Boise. In that case, they're small blocks, when compared to grids in other cities. Actually, it reminds me how PSU has a number of skywalks across streets connecting various campus buildings--sometimes on a 4th or 6th floor(when that was the hight of the buildings).

Skywalks on upper floors could help break-up the 4-block-wall-of-Boise-plaza...yeah, hopefully the name will evolve, too. I'm OK with JUMP or maybe simply J.R. Plaza.

Yeah, your suggestions are a compromise that could work, vs. punching through the streets for one lane of cars. I hadn't realized that inner part was a parking structure--that's gotta go underground. Isn't there a trolley proposal for Boise? It might be cool to have that go through(or a branch offshoot) in lieu of punching through the streets for car traffic. There's a plaza at PSU, that has a trolly cutting through it, and it worked well design-wise.

Anyways, hopefully some of these ideas can be heard at a city council meeting or in The Statesman--from the local Boise urban enthusiasts.

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiseguy View Post
The Esther Simplot school of performing arts is on the other side of Myrtle and the Future Pioneer corridor all the way to the river will start at the corner of 11th and Myrtle.. so.. to me the biggest concern is access.. as many of you have pointed out.
Maybe they would move the school there too. Its sounds like they're consolidating space altogether. I've been trying to find out how much space they lease at One Capital Center and if it would just be that much office space or (hopefully) more.

Does anybody know how many seats there are at the arts school?

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 6:25 AM
Always running Late

In order to give credit to the person who took the photo..
I will just provide the link...

but I found a photo on flickr that was taken by Griff69... looks as if he was on the connector headed into city center...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/griff69/213009440/

Anyway, it gives you a perspective on where this project will be and in what context.. granted, this picture is old, and the 17 story glass aspen tower is not in this picture .. but basically from where the little telephone pole is down in the lower right by the truck.. from that pole all the way back to the rest of the buildings will be in front a new convention center and 10 story hotel, and behind it will be THIS project floating in the air off the ground 26 feet..
it's going to have a huge commanding presence upon entering downtown...

This is looking the opposite way..
you can see the warehouse and all the flat surface parking
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zack-at...n/photostream/

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 3:24 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

a little bit of Boise history

There used to be a stone train depot at 10th and Front, where this development will be. I have seen old pictures of it in the past but cannot locate any on line but the state historical website and the city historian site each reference the depot.

http://www.idahohistory.net/Reference%20Series/0672.pdf

1894-1949 Oregon Short Line Passenger Depot, 10th and Front (Replaced by Union Pacific Freight Depot)
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 12:30 PM
not a cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post
There used to be a stone train depot at 10th and Front, where this development will be. I have seen old pictures of it in the past but cannot locate any on line but the state historical website and the city historian site each reference the depot.

Getting a bit off-topic but there are very few photos of the trolleys and of trains at the depot at either the archives or the library. A spur railroad line used to run by the north side of the warehouse on 9th and then around the Foster's building (which still remains partially vacant (had to throw that in)) and I believe it went nearly to Broadway. I mean, how did Iron Mike get in Julia Davis Park?

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 4:11 PM

I'm late to the party since I was on vacation, but I did get a chance to read this in the Statesman when it broke.

Anyway, I agree with cynic that connectivity between the Pioneer path and Broad Street must be established somehow. However, I think all you need is a simple but direct bike/pedestrian path. Considering the talk about some of the building being on stilts, this could be manageable, though I'd want to see the renderings closer.

Also, I'm curious as to what the traffic impacts will be, especially on 11th Street. I'm still sick and tired of that road being a two-way street, and making left turns onto Front/Myrtle time consuming. It will only get worse if this project adds more trips to the road, which I imagine it would.

As I've said before, they either need to extend 12th Street to Myrtle and complete the 11th/12th couplet, or switch the direction of 13th and go with an 11th/13th couplet.

Bottom line, though, is that this project is exciting!

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Of Trees View Post
Anyway, I agree with cynic that connectivity between the Pioneer path and Broad Street must be established somehow. However, I think all you need is a simple but direct bike/pedestrian path. Considering the talk about some of the building being on stilts, this could be manageable, though I'd want to see the renderings closer.

I agree too that as long as the building perimiter is elevated as mentioned in the article in the Idaho Business Review that this project will be open and if a person walking or on their bike wants to cut through these blocks that they will be able to easily. But........how many people walk or bike through those currently empty lots anyways? I was always under the impression most bikers use 8th Street to get to the river.

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphawolf View Post
Maybe they would move the school there too. Its sounds like they're consolidating space altogether. I've been trying to find out how much space they lease at One Capital Center and if it would just be that much office space or (hopefully) more.

Does anybody know how many seats there are at the arts school?
The Boise Weekly mentioned the mayor was hinting at a new performing arts center to be built downtown. Maybe Bieter was referring to this project but who knows maybe another arts center is in the works because I've heard through the grapevine that several arts groups in town want an alternative to the Morrison Center
Mrs. Simplot is a huge supporter of the arts.

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 6:09 PM

Quote:
I agree too that as long as the building perimiter is elevated as mentioned in the article in the Idaho Business Review that this project will be open and if a person walking or on their bike wants to cut through these blocks that they will be able to easily. But........how many people walk or bike through those currently empty lots anyways? I was always under the impression most bikers use 8th Street to get to the river.
Not many right now, simply because of a lack of development. However, as things continue to pick up around the area south of Myrtle (CitySide Lofts, Grand Ave, etc) that will change. If they want to provide that neighborhood with easy alternative access to downtown, it'd help a lot to make sure that Pioneer path has a complete connection.

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 9:46 PM

Here's a picture I copied the link from out of the aerial thread Visualize posted because it shows the lots that are going to be developed and part of the existing warehouse is visible. Jack's Place is going to really add on to the density of downtown.

panoramio.com/photos

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 10:22 PM

Haha...This is a much better picture than the one I found of the Emerald Club! Good thinking. I'm going to take the other one down.

This project is going to dominate. They need to give us a street level view. It is almost impossible to give a thorough analysis without being able to see under where the building is floated and how people will be able to move through the property. I'm having a hard time believing all that grass is going to be there in relatively large setbacks. Visualizing someone out on 9th and Front pushing a lawn mower is a very disturbing thought.

Last edited by Visualize; May 29, 2009 at 1:14 AM.

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 12:27 AM

Cool shot.. You know all this development downtown is going to make more people want to live downtown. Which means that places like the old "Boise Place" tower will become more realistic..

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 3:50 PM

I'll be in Boise in June for a NEA/ICA conference and look forward to checking out the site where this project will be built. It looks like it has some great potential. That being said, do we need all CAPS in the thread header?

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 4:32 PM

Boiseguy must have had caps lock on when he typed the title, but it's all good though. The good aspect is that this thread is easy to spot amongst the several discussion threads that a certain region has infiltrated the board with Maybe we should start a thread for the Portico at Meridian project and the East Parkcenter Bridge and discuss.

We need to have a mod add the icon to the title.

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 11:41 PM
Earthling

Cottonwood or anybody else from Boise:

Can you clarify for this out-of-town-fan-of-Boise--exactly where Jack's Place is going(in that excellent pic from a few posts up)?

It'll help me better grasp how it will extend DT. Thanks in advance.

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 11:49 PM

It will go on the empty lot that is above the center of the picture, and to the right of the US Bank building.

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 11:56 PM
not a cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftopolis View Post
Cottonwood or anybody else from Boise:

Can you clarify for this out-of-town-fan-of-Boise--exactly where Jack's Place is going(in that excellent pic from a few posts up)?

It'll help me better grasp how it will extend DT. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Crap, I screwed up a bit, that lot is bigger, to the right than what I circled.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West