HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 12:21 PM

I certainly haven't given up on Target in Canada either, Target are king in the marketing department; Walmart and Kmart can't touch them in that regard in the US. I just hope they start flexing their muscles here in Canada...
We also went to Target Moncton last Saturday and it was quite busy, more than usual, then again every store in Moncton was busy last weekend and it will be like that until Christmas.

Last edited by OUIR@random; Oct 28, 2014 at 12:32 PM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Sears on the other hand is pretty much beyond redemption. Both the Canadian and American divisions are in really rough shape, with the US parent willing to throw Sears Canada to the wolves in order to try and save themselves. We have seen this type of "dispose Canadian assets" strategy before with Blockbuster, Radio Shack, Kmart etc, and it never works. It won't work here either and I expect a big Sears fire sale in 2015.

The good news for us here in Moncton is that I'm pretty sure Hudson's Bay wants into Champlain Place. The major question for us is whether or not they will bring along Home Outfitters to occupy the Sears Home store at Wheeler Park at the same time.
The thing about Sears is they are kind of like HBC in that they have a lot of assets and that means a lot of money. So I foresee them becoming like Wollworth, which is actually FootLocker now. Once Sears starts selling assets they will have a lot of cash in the bank.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 4:35 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
The thing about Sears is they are kind of like HBC in that they have a lot of assets and that means a lot of money. So I foresee them becoming like Wollworth, which is actually FootLocker now. Once Sears starts selling assets they will have a lot of cash in the bank.
They've already disposed of their best assets (at least in Canada). Their best locations have been snapped up by Nordstroms and Saks for their northward expansion. The locations that Sears have left are more liabilities than anything else.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 1:28 PM

On another note I was watching TVA news in Montreal and they opened a Premium Oulet center North of Montreal and they have nearly all the same brands that a Tagner Outlet mall would have do you think they would fit well in Moncton on Mapleton road or some other spots?

And I drove by the Ramada Crystal Palace this morning and I might add it is sad to see the end of such a good touristic icon for the city and the regfion close down for good but I think for MOncton, Dieppe and area it will bne a nice addition to have Bass pro Shop in that area. I was thinking it was a good move by Cadilac Fairview to let them lease that spot because the men can drop off the wives at the mall and then they can cross over at Bass Pro and stay there the whole afternoon. Also I am exited to see how they will shape up the interior of the store itself exapmle how they will use the skylights in there and will they use the old pool at the Ramada as a freshwater fishing pond?

And on the Trinity drive from has anyone heard the timeframe that the Dollorama will move from the Mapleton Strip mall to the old Reitmans spot. And what will take over the leasehold of the Bowrings store once it shuts down?

AS you can tell there is still lots of room for improvements on the retail front for the city but I think we are on the right track but there are stiill plenty of American Retailers that I would love to see set up shop here in town but only time will tell.

As you were talking about Target Canada itself I think the brand will survive in Canada its just t hat they need to reinvent themselves to cater to the Canadian customer and to use a diffrent strategy that they have been using in the US. Also they need have better inventory on hand in every store too and have full shelves VS having 15-25% of each store being bare. I say that has to do better with controlling inventory and to get their logistics down path.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 2:53 PM

Factory Outlets are never in a city as they would compete with the malls and other regular retail shopping. This WE Premium Outlets Montreal are opening but they are outside the city a good 1/2 hour drive. Same with the one in Toronto. In September, Tanger Outlets opened outside Ottawa. So the trend is within half hour outside a big city. Maybe outside Halifax (think Truro) which would draw Maritimers but even then the population base is small. They have to survive during the week as well as weekend shopping.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 3:10 PM

I'm sorry, but saying that Champlain Place will now be a destination for men is ludicrous. Not all men are campers, taxidermists, hunters or fishermen. I'm not saying they won't be successful because there's a market for it in our area.

As for factory outlets in Canada, well we get the diluted versions of the US again, I went to see the directory online; lots of random Canadian retailers or other has been retailers, who cares, I would never drive 1 hour outside of Montreal to go at some second rate outlet mall. Go Wrentham or Woodbury Common now that's an outlet mall!

Last edited by OUIR@random; Nov 1, 2014 at 9:42 PM.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 3:39 PM

Well I would definitely drive the hour to shop at the Montreal Premium Outlet. Yes it is only 75 outlets and not 225 like in the US but you can't compare. I think it is a good 1st step and if successful they will expand. We are going to Marrimack NH next WE to shop. Small number of outlets but it meets our needs and tax free which offsets the dollar. Tons of Canadians go down this long weekend as this is our 3rd year going, so it is still a major draw.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2014, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbujold View Post
Well I would definitely drive the hour to shop at the Montreal Premium Outlet. Yes it is only 75 outlets and not 225 like in the US but you can't compare. I think it is a good 1st step and if successful they will expand. We are going to Marrimack NH next WE to shop. Small number of outlets but it meets our needs and tax free which offsets the dollar. Tons of Canadians go down this long weekend as this is our 3rd year going, so it is still a major draw.

It's not just the size of the outlet mall, it's the selection and price. I mentioned those 2 because they are certainly worth the drive. Merrimack is smaller than the ones I mentioned, but outstanding compared to what is offered in Montreal and Toronto. Any outlet mall in the US is better than what is offered in Canada. Enjoy!

Last edited by OUIR@random; Nov 1, 2014 at 4:09 PM.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2014, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
I'm sorry, but saying that Champlain Place will now be a destination for men is ludicrous. Not all men are campers, taxidermists, hunters or fishermen. I'm not saying they won't be successful because there's a market for it in our area.
Bass Pro Shop offers so much more than just to campers, taxidermists, hunters or fishermen. Great clothing line, boots, foods, gift and home decor items and even some kids toys.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2014, 12:52 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by micks5477 View Post
Bass Pro Shop offers so much more than just to campers, taxidermists, hunters or fishermen. Great clothing line, boots, foods, gift and home decor items and even some kids toys.
I agree. Both BPS and Cabela's are in the same sort of category as LL Bean. Not as big mind you, and with a bit more of a hunting and fishing bent, but very similar to LL Bean none-the-less.

Moncton is very fortunate to be getting both of these retailers. This is the biggest thing retail wise to hit the city since we got the first Costco in the region (outside of Halifax). This is arguably even bigger for retail tourism than Costco was since Halifax has neither Cabela's or BPS, and Costco has since expanded to both Freddy and SJ.

This is indeed big, and having both of these outdoor retailers in Moncton will allow them to feed off one another as it will invite cost comparisons and product selection comparisons between the two. People won't come to Moncton just to visit Cabela's or just BPS. They will come to visit both at the same time, and while they're in the city they will also visit other retailers at Champlain Place and in the Trinity Drive/Mapleton district.

Oh yes, this is very big.......

Last edited by MonctonRad; Nov 2, 2014 at 1:03 PM.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2014, 11:09 PM

It would be a HUGE mistake to underestimate the impact of Cabela's and BPS for Moncton.
BPS is the leading tourism draw in six states. I personally know Maritimers who travel statesside in order to shop at these stores. Now they only have to go to Moncton. Forget the local market - these two stores will draw shoppers from the Maritimes, Maine and Quebec. I have absolutely no doubt about it. Literally by the thousands.
Is there even another market in the world that has both a BPS and a Cabelas? I'm not sure. I haven't found one. (Not that I did an extensive search.)
Check their web sites and you'll see most stores heavily promote directions to nearby hotels. That's because of the great many out of towners who shop there, who stay the night.
Nothing in Moncton retail history compares to these two stores coming here at the same time. \the impact will be huge. And yes, if you believe these stores only cater to hunters and fishermen, then you probably also believe that losing a rundown indoor amusement park that was mostly empty except on rainy long weekends is a terrible tragedy and loss of tourism opportunity that BPS can't hope to ever replace despite them outdrawing a lplace like Crystal Palace by a margin of 1000s-to-one, as has occurred in every single city where they've set up.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2014, 11:23 PM

So if I hear you right, BP and Cabelas will be big for Moncton?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2014, 11:25 PM

Ha ha!

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 3:12 AM

From a jobs standpoint, how many new jobs are coming to the market with Cabelas & BPS? That's a very important thing too that hasn't really been talked about much.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 3:36 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
From a jobs standpoint, how many new jobs are coming to the market with Cabelas & BPS? That's a very important thing too that hasn't really been talked about much.
Don't have the figures right off the top of my head (although I have seen them), but it is in the 350-400 range between the two stores.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Nov 3, 2014 at 4:04 AM.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
It would be a HUGE mistake to underestimate the impact of Cabela's and BPS for Moncton.
BPS is the leading tourism draw in six states. I personally know Maritimers who travel statesside in order to shop at these stores. Now they only have to go to Moncton. Forget the local market - these two stores will draw shoppers from the Maritimes, Maine and Quebec. I have absolutely no doubt about it. Literally by the thousands.
Is there even another market in the world that has both a BPS and a Cabelas? I'm not sure. I haven't found one. (Not that I did an extensive search.)
Check their web sites and you'll see most stores heavily promote directions to nearby hotels. That's because of the great many out of towners who shop there, who stay the night.
Nothing in Moncton retail history compares to these two stores coming here at the same time. \the impact will be huge. And yes, if you believe these stores only cater to hunters and fishermen, then you probably also believe that losing a rundown indoor amusement park that was mostly empty except on rainy long weekends is a terrible tragedy and loss of tourism opportunity that BPS can't hope to ever replace despite them outdrawing a lplace like Crystal Palace by a margin of 1000s-to-one, as has occurred in every single city where they've set up.
Just off the top of my head, Chicago has 2 Cabelas and 2 Bass Pro Shops within 45 minutes (45km) of downtown Chicago in its suburbs. Of course the Chicagoland 8 million population can support all 4 four.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 9:40 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Another tenant for the Mapleton Centre:

CAA Atlantic will be moving across the street from the McManaman Building, and will be occupying a unit in Building "C" in the Mapleton Centre.

This will increase occupancy in the Mapleton Centre to about 75%
(4 remaining vacant CRU's and 2 vacant pads).

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 9:41 PM

Thanks for that, Micks.
I tried to look that up but work kept getting in the way and i never did get to complete a proper job of it.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 10:24 PM
Spem Reduxit

Quote:
Originally Posted by micks5477 View Post
Just off the top of my head, Chicago has 2 Cabelas and 2 Bass Pro Shops within 45 minutes (45km) of downtown Chicago in its suburbs. Of course the Chicagoland 8 million population can support all 4 four.
As for Canada, Moncton is definitely hitting above its weight. There is a Cabela's in Barrie, ON and one would need to drive 45 minutes to Vaughan, ON for the closest BPS. In Calgary there will soon be a Cabela's, and just outside the city in Rocky View there is a BPS. On the west cost Nanaimo, BC has the Cabela's and then you'll need to do a 3 hour trip by ferry / driving to get to Vancouver's BPS. Pretty impressive I do say

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 11:33 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Heard on CBC today there are further cracks in the foundation of Canadian Retail...Some stores rumored to hit the chopping block in the near future:

Sears Canada (big surprise)
Reitmans (also includes Smart Set, Penningtons, Thyme Maternity)
Le Chateau

All these stores exist in the Moncton retail sphere (some with multiple locations). Will be interesting to see how all that pans out.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces