HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 21, 2014, 6:30 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

the high line is complete.
section three, the high line at the rail yards, opened this morning.
it's fantastic.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2014, 6:32 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Old Posted Sep 21, 2014, 6:36 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Old Posted Sep 21, 2014, 11:15 PM
Euroscraper

I followed the whole HL project here from the start and again, its just spectactular. And the best thing is that it's doing school in other cities and countries across the globe, spreading the concept of creating new amazing green areas out from old and abandoned places and rail tracks.

Can't wait to see it in all its glory next year.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 7:05 PM

I haven't had a chance to visit Phase 3 of the High Line yet, but here is a reminder of what Phase 3 looked like while it was under construction this summer. It's seen later in the video, looking out from then-terminus of Phase 2.

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 6:07 PM

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 11:59 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Rezoning could yield bonanza for far west High Line site

Change in designation could yield 175K buildable square feet for small property

Note: 606 West 30th Street is the location

Quote:
As is, the West 30th Street property has the potential for only about 30,000 square feet of buildable space. If upzoned, the property could yield more bang for the buck, but city approval is not guaranteed.

“I hope to find a developer that can look very bullishly on what can be done with the property,” Bob Knakal said. The property, which currently has a one-story parking garage used by the city Sanitation Department, will not have an asking price, he added. Last year the City Planning Department raised the idea of potentially rezoning the entire block, a process a department spokesman said is ongoing.

“We are delighted to see the third section of the High Line open successfully and recognize that the new segment of the park will help to stimulate growth in West Chelsea, just as the previous two sections have,” the spokesperson wrote in an e-mail. “Aware of the key operational needs of the Department of Sanitation and the various interests of stakeholders, DCP will continue to work towards identifying a set of priorities that respond to the unique conditions of this block.”

Should the property be upzoned to the same kind of densities enjoyed on the other side of the avenue, it could yield more than 175,000 square feet of buildable space, counting for the inclusionary housing bonus mandated by the mayor’s affordable housing plan.
==========================
http://therealdeal.com/blog/2014/09/...igh-line-site/

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 2:34 PM

I find it disingenuous that they're touting the high line as 'complete'. It's not. Their much advertised small nature theater bowl thing isn't remotely complete. I doubt that will open until the Hudson Yards tower that straddles it is completed.

I was also disappointed to find that the newest section of the high line is closed and locked off after 6pm. I went last weekend to explore it around sunset went it was still a gorgeous 75+ degrees outside. By the time I reached 31st St, it was 6:30 or so, and I was met with an all too familiar fence.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 8:29 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumz0rz View Post
I find it disingenuous that they're touting the high line as 'complete'. It's not. Their much advertised small nature theater bowl thing isn't remotely complete. I doubt that will open until the Hudson Yards tower that straddles it is completed.

I was also disappointed to find that the newest section of the high line is closed and locked off after 6pm. I went last weekend to explore it around sunset went it was still a gorgeous 75+ degrees outside. By the time I reached 31st St, it was 6:30 or so, and I was met with an all too familiar fence.
its not at all disingenuous, although i can see being disappointed if you were not aware of the plans. it's complete meaning open to the end of the line. they opened it earlier than planned to do that. think about it, would you rather they waited until the railyards are built out?? also, yes the spur is a construction zone. coach tower construction aside the spur was always going to be last, because for one thing nobody knew exactly what to do with that section for the longest time.

i even would add that section three itself is not in its finished form. the composite will go away and other upgrades will be done when the rail yards are more built out. so there will be ongoing disruptions and closures, but thats an urban environment for ya. for now we can enjoy the ringside railyard construction views. go back and try again -- the views are great!

more of 'pershing square beams,' the kids only play area

Old Posted Dec 5, 2014, 9:58 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumz0rz View Post
By "complete", they just mean open to the public. This third phase of the High Line is open, but this version is what it will be for the interim during Hudson Yards construction.

http://archrecord.construction.com/n...the-Public.asp

Quote:
this wildest section of the High Line will be a construction-viewing platform for decades to come. And as the Hudson Yards towers rise, it will cease to be a raised sliver of park between the Hudson River and the tracks below. Instead, it will form the edge of a 26-acre, Canary Wharf-style development on a platform that is higher than the tracks, making it less catwalk than sidewalk. Will it require alterations as the skyscrapers rise? At some point, this section of the High Line will have to be closed for structural repairs, and no one is ruling out redesigns at that juncture.

For now, the section, called the Interim Walkway, is as simple as can be, with pavement of glued-together gravel (technically, bonded aggregate) and a simple, galvanized steel fence separating the hardscape from the Galapagos.

http://www.gizmag.com/high-line-new-...l-yards/33933/

Quote:
The remaining phases of construction for the High Line at the Rail Yards will see the completion of the 10th Avenue Spur and the redevelopment of the Interim Walkway. It is expected to be completed in 10-15 years time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
http://archpaper.com/news/articles.asp?id=6328

Line Gang
Aqua Tower architect to make New York debut in booming meatpacking district

Alan G. Brake

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2014/12/...ecture-review/

Solar Carve not your father’s slab on a base: Architecture review
Studio Gang resorts to rarely used trick in design for William Gottlieb's 40-56 Tenth Avenue

December 05, 2014
By James Gardner

Quote:
Studio Gang Architects has arrived in New York following its completion five years ago of the acclaimed Aqua Tower in Chicago, where the firm is based. But given the regionalism of architecture — when you’re not speaking of the international superstars — you can be famous in Chicago and entirely unknown in New York.

And so it is that, although the 50-year-old Jeanne Gang, the main force behind the firm, is one of the stars of the Windy City — where everyone takes architecture very seriously — she has been largely off the radar of developers in New York. Now, however, she has finally been given the go-ahead to create her first building in Manhattan, something to be called the Solar Carve, located at 40-56 10th Avenue.

The new project from Studio Gang — which went through the usual hell in its negotiations with the Department of Buildings and the city — is a very different building from the Aqua Tower. The Chicago tower, a fairly rectilinear skyscraper with flange-like waves running across its surface, calls to mind Frank Gehry’s 8 Spruce Street — except that it actually looks good.

The new building was never supposed to be all that tall; few buildings in the vicinity of the High Line are. But having been wrestled to the ground by the City Planning Commission, the Solar Carve will now rise a mere ten stories. The structure, which will total 186,700 square feet, is being developed by William Gottlieb Real Estate and is set to open in 2015.

In one sense, this structure resembles a wobbly version of Lever House on Park and 53rd Street. That building, too, is a curtain-walled slab rising over a curtain-walled base. But Studio Gang’s building is not your father’s slab on a base. While keeping the base more or less intact, Gang re-conceived the slab as a warped and dangerously top-heavy mass that, from the angle represented in the rendering, seems ready to topple over.

From another side, half of the façade seems to have been scraped away in one chamfered corner, further threatening its stability.

But it will not fall over. The firm has employed a trick that is rare in architecture, but very common in classical statuary: the sculptors of Greece and Rome used a support — a tree-trunk or rock of some sort — whose only reason for existing was to keep its subject from falling face-first to the ground.

In the same spirit, Ms. Gang has propped up the showpiece slab in the rendering with a far more ordinary looking slab that supports it, and that appears only at the edges of the rendering, as though it were almost beside the point. How well this trick plays out will become clear only upon completion of the project.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 10:48 PM
BANNED

was at HL park a few days and o dear, there's not enough room for people to move/walk. Maybe they could expand the elevated tracks a bit, idk people need breathing room

Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 12:31 AM
Walk taker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perklol View Post
was at HL park a few days and o dear, there's not enough room for people to move/walk. Maybe they could expand the elevated tracks a bit, idk people need breathing room
^
Weekdays in the morning, early afternoon and late evening are the best times to walk the High Line - most other times are flooded with tourists or private events. However, even at its most crowded the park doesn't get as impassable as people claim. I used to work in a building next to the High Line and would walk it to 14th street every afternoon - compared to rush hour train traffic, the High Line is nothing.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2014, 7:48 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perklol View Post
o dear, indeed, because this is not only disingenuous, it borders on trolling if that's all you have to say about it. it's not like that all the time. any morning you can have the highline park all to yourself. as mentioned above, by late afternoons and evenings the unwieldy crowds have dispersed as well. now during prime times i couldn't agree more, but using common city sense those are all knowable and avoidable for the most part. even if you do get stuck, the views and the experience are worth braving the crowds regardless. in the very worst case scenario, it's not like you can't step off of it for a bit, visit an art gallery or the hudson river park next to it or something and then pop back on. it's more than well worth any inconveniences.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2014, 10:28 PM

Many sites are starting construction along High Line north.

520 West 28th Street

528 West 29th Street

530 West 28th Street

503 West 29th Street

503 West 29th Street

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 4:47 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Construction Update: 860 WASHINGTON

Credit: FieldCondition

Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 3:31 AM

Am I the only one who thinks the High Line is being ruined by all of the high rises being constructed around it? I visited the High Line last fall, and between the crowds and building jutting it, I felt closed in. I did not enjoy it nearly as much as I did when it first opened a few years ago.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 12:34 PM

Yes, you are the only one (especially on a site filled with skyscraper enthusiasts). Walking the high line is an architectural tour as much as a stroll in a park and it will only get better with these new nearby projects.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 8:59 PM
Walk taker

^
I share both those sentiments - I'm excited at all the new architecture that's springing up, but I think it's the architects responsibility (in this instance, anyway) to leave certain views unobstructed, like the view of the Hudson just south of the IAC Building. Here's hoping, anyway.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 9:38 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Supposedly they are thinking about a high line style project in Queens. This being on a rail yard and it will stretch I think 3 or 4 miles. I think the success of this high line could be replicated. This being a nyc innovation. So popular, that even cities abroad are considering their own high line.

In terms of the crowds, it depends when you go. Early mornings or late evenings are the best time to go from my experience.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 10:37 PM

The Guards told me they close the third section at night, because it's improperly lit.

Also only adults with children, and children are allowed to enter the pit.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development